Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBI power poll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SBI power poll

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...gs-week-4.html

So Ives thinks we're still 16th. Guess this week didn't count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude is a biased doucher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally can't think of any other team I would put below us though. San Jose is the first good game we've played in my opinion. Need to do that for a couple of weeks before I have faith that we won't end up in that spot.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver lose 3-1 to Houston and drop one place from 9 to 10; Houston jumps 5, from 14 to 9... yeah that makes sense.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I personally can't think of any other team I would put below us though. San Jose is the first good game we've played in my opinion. Need to do that for a couple of weeks before I have faith that we won't end up in that spot.
    Vancouver. Chivas. Portland. New England.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Dude is a biased doucher.
    Why is he biased? Is there some lack of rationale in his rankings?

Where would you put us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Vancouver. Chivas. Portland. New England.
    Whatever, I couldn't disagree with you more that Vancouver and NE deserve to be ahead of us. I won't even bring up the massacre TFC experienced in Vancouver.

BTW Vancouver losing to Houston away from home 3-1 is pretty expected. It's not like they were favorites or something.

But anyway, this doesn't look biased to me at all. Even if you disagree about 1 or 2 places you'll always have people who disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rankings are so subjective at this point in the season that it doesn't warrant much validity. There is so much parity in the league that the rankings could change dramatically on a weekly basis. I don't think there is a substantial gap in talent between the clubs ranked 8th-18th for example.

I watched the TFC game and the Vancouver game this past weekend, and if I was to judge those results, it would seem ludicrous to rank Vancouver 10th and TFC 16th. The point being, it's too early to tell based on the games that have been played.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-11-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever, I couldn't disagree with you more that Vancouver and NE deserve to be ahead of us. I won't even bring up the massacre TFC experienced in Vancouver.

BTW Vancouver losing to Houston away from home 3-1 is pretty expected. It's not like they were favorites or something.

But anyway, this doesn't look biased to me at all. Even if you disagree about 1 or 2 places you'll always have people who disagree.
    Vancouver are overrated. They're better than we were in years one and two, but they're no Seattle. We'll see how their depth holds up without Demerit, Dunfield and Hassli. I predict a mid-bottom table finish, with TFC evening the series and taking the NCC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives is a friend of Mo, ergo he is no friend of Winter. That will colour his thinking, even if unintentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The rankings are so subjective at this point in the season that it doesn't warrant much validity.
    We shouldn't really look at them until the All-Star break. Same goes for the sportsclubstats website. It is ludicrously inaccurate early in the season. Last year in baseball, they had the Jays at a 95% chance of making the playoffs at one point.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-11-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Why is he biased? Is there some lack of rationale in his rankings?

Where would you put us?
    Oh Jesus Roogsy...relax ,I'm not looking for an argument. Ives is a red bull guy and frequently ignores anything MLS related from the north.

FTR..

I think the idea of power rankings a) at this time of the year b) in the MLS in general are mainly a useless excercise as any team can beat any team on any day.

The table is the power ranking.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they're biased for the most part. Power Rankings are what they are... an indication of current performance, not potential performance. At the end of the season this list will look very different.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver was missing it's DP (Hassli to a stupid red, what an idiot) and Demerit's injury led directly to the 2nd goal. Missing your top 2 players is always going to have a bad impact. Had that not been the case, I could easily have seen the Whitecaps escape with a point.

At the moment, I would put them ahead of us.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver was missing it's DP (Hassli to a stupid red, what an idiot) and Demerit's injury led directly to the 2nd goal. Missing your top 2 players is always going to have a bad impact. Had that not been the case, I could easily have seen the Whitecaps escape with a point.

At the moment, I would put them ahead of us.
    Vancouver's complete starting 11 is an above-average MLS side. The same can't be said for TFC's inaugural 11. They're not yet built for MLS success though, as even a few players missing will sink their ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure of Ives criteria but he may factor in that Vancouver had a bunch of players out injured and we don't.

I've noticed though that he is not reporting much on TFC this year

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Not sure of Ives criteria but he may factor in that Vancouver had a bunch of players out injured and we don't.

I've noticed though that he is not reporting much on TFC this year
    Probably because Winter hates the media.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Jesus Roogsy...relax ,I'm not looking for an argument. Ives is a red bull guy and frequently ignores anything MLS related from the north.
    So anyone who questions your statement about Ives being a douchebag is looking for an argument?

I was just looking for evidence of his bias as you claimed. I always thought of Galarcep as relatively objective despite his obvious leaning towards NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Vancouver's complete starting 11 is an above-average MLS side. The same can't be said for TFC's inaugural 11. They're not yet built for MLS success though, as even a few players missing will sink their ship.
    They've been missing a few players since day 1. And until now, they've had to use their depth alot more then they probably expected. So I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So anyone who questions your statement about Ives being a douchebag is looking for an argument?

I was just looking for evidence of his bias as you claimed. I always thought of Galarcep as relatively objective despite his obvious leaning towards NY.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've been missing a few players since day 1. And until now, they've had to use their depth alot more then they probably expected. So I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.
    I think he was supporting the point of view that the Whitecaps are better than TFC but not a very good side because they are disproportionately reliant on a couple of big signings who when they're out, cause Vancouver to struggle.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every reporter leans towards a team Pig...or do you think Molinaro and other Toronto media don't lean towards TFC despite having to write about them and at times be critical?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course his rankings are biased. that's what they are, rankings by a guy named Ives. That's the definition of subjective. It's not like they are mathematical formulas measuring schedule strength, home/away schedule, rosters etc.

here's the best power ranking I can find.. totally objective! the actual standings in single table format.

http://www.settingthetable.info/home/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought of Galarcep as relatively objective despite his obvious leaning towards NY.
    Ya everyone knows the red bulls are the flagship of mls. They had 13,000 at their last home game, so why wouldn't he lean towards them and their almighty fanbase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every reporter leans toward a team Pig...or do you think Molinaro and other Toronto media don't lean toward TFC despite having to write about them and at times be critical?
    Actually I'm glad you brought up Molinaro.

I think he does a MUCH better job of being objective than almost any other reporter that reports on this league. In world football he has some pretty heavy biases though.

He certainly is more objective than Rollins and Reycroft who are great but obviously fans of TFC.
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 04-11-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was supporting the point of view that the Whitecaps are better than TFC but not a very good side because they are disproportionately reliant on a couple of big signings who when they're out, cause Vancouver to struggle.
    But I think that is so not what Vancouver is. They've been missing a few key signings in every game they've played so far. If anything, they've shown me they are pretty deep. Chiumiento, Hassli, Dunfield, Demerit, The 1st overall pick for 2011 and Camilo have all been out for 1 or more games. Those guys have for the most part been replaced by some pretty capable players and I wouldn't say the ship has sunk. They've been an average team which is saying alot considering they are an expansion team with key players missing in every game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    here's the best power ranking I can find.. totally objective! the actual standings in single table format.

how things should be done anyways, nevermind this conference nonsense

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    of course his rankings are biased. that's what they are, rankings by a guy named Ives. That's the definition of subjective. It's not like they are mathematical formulas measuring schedule strength, home/away schedule, rosters etc.

We're making the playoffs!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Rankings are based on performances. If TFC drew a side away that was ranked 5 in the Power Rankings last week, they should move up. If Vancouver loses to the Dynamo, they should move down a fair bit. It doesn't matter how good the team is on paper, the changes are supposed to reflect the performance.

The performance of Vancouver in the league at this point does not warrent them being as high as ten, and TFC, with virtually the same record I might add, being as low as 16 and making no movement in the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually thankful for all the additional television exposure of MLS clubs in general this season because admittedly, I wasn't that familiar with other clubs in the league in past years other than what I saw during TFC games.

I've already watched several games this year, and in all honesty, I think our current roster measures up well with most clubs in MLS. Based on what I've seen, I believe TFC is a mid table club at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Power Rankings are based on performances. If TFC drew a side away that was ranked 5 in the Power Rankings last week, they should move up. If Vancouver loses to the Dynamo, they should move down a fair bit. It doesn't matter how good the team is on paper, the changes are supposed to reflect the performance.

The performance of Vancouver in the league at this point does not warrent them being as high as ten, and TFC, with virtually the same record I might add, being as low as 16 and making no movement in the record.
    Where is the written rule that power rankings are based on performance? I follow power rankings in lots of different sports and have never heard that. In most cases their has to be some sort of subjetivity involved or else you would do exactly what other's have said, point to the table and you have your rankings.

Why even bother ranking teams then?