Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default tifo too vulgar? supporter group put on probation in San Jose.

for saturday's game, did you have the same feeling as i did about the atmosphere, namely "I thought San Jose used to be a bit more lively than this" and "what's that "censored" banner all about?"

Turns out, Ultras 1806 are having a bit of trouble with their FO right now. Here's an explanation that one of them posted on my blog.

and here's their official statement

We are protesting the unjust probation that the Earthquakes front office have imposed on our group as punishment for our Tifo (overhead banner) at the Seattle home game on April 2nd. We will not stand for the front office’s unwarranted attempt at censorship. Three days after the Seattle game, Ultras leaders received an e-mail from the Earthquakes front office notifying us that a Seattle supporter complained about the tifo on Twitter, and that the Earthquakes front office agreed that the tifo was vulgar, a violation of the fan code of conduct, poorly represented the club, and that as a result the Ultras were being punished by being placed on probation.
    The tifo at the Seattle game was in no way vulgar or obscene, and in no way violates the fan code of conduct. There was no nudity, no sexual acts, and no profanity. The tifo was merely an irreverent take on Charlie Sheen, something which the Earthquakes front office itself has indulged in (see their youtube video from a few weeks ago). If the tifo was so obscene and such a violation of the code of conduct, why did no Earthquakes staff member ask us to take it down, or complain to us during or after the game? Why did not a single Earthquakes fan complain about the tifo? Why did the front office not say anything to us for three full days? For the Earthquakes front office to now come forward and suggest the tifo was obscene is extremely insulting to the Ultras artists who spent countless hours of their free time making it. Our protest will continue until the unjust probation is lifted.
    Sincerely,
    1906 ultras leadership
    On their website http://www.1906ultras.com/blog/ they show the banner in question, along with a bit of extra context (apparently it's a charlie sheen thing). as well there's details of a seperate tifo they did at the same game to show respect to a seattle supporter that recently died.

It's definitely a bit on the risque side, but as they point out, security did nothing to stop them at the time, and it seems like it was one complaint that caused this. maybe they don't have a good relationship with the FO and they were looking for any excuse to try and rein them in.

What do you think, is it a bit too much, or is this just a big overreaction on the FO's part? I don't know if rpb does official statements of support for this sort of thing or not, but figured I'd post it here, get a lot more attention than my blog would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not vulgar, kinda funny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from MLS TIFO thread

Quote Originally Posted by DavydMT View Post
    April 2
    San Jose Earthquakes vs Seattle Sounders FC

Sounders FC Mourns Lost Supporter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed they had their backs to the pitch for a lot of the game, couldn't figure out why.

Thanks for posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Jose doesn't get enough fans, these lads should walk out on a match and stick it to them.

I can see how that would offend the Sharla Broslovski's of the world, but otherwise is all in good fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing will ever beat the "2 Girls 1 Cup" Columbus banner...

On the surface, totally clean - if you know what it actually about, totally vulgar! lol

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all i can say to this is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    for saturday's game, did you have the same feeling as i did about the atmosphere, namely "I thought San Jose used to be a bit more lively than this" and "what's that "censored" banner all about?"

Turns out, Ultras 1806 are having a bit of trouble with their FO right now. Here's an explanation that one of them posted on my blog.

[b]

and here's their official statement

On their website http://www.1906ultras.com/blog/ they show the banner in question, along with a bit of extra context (apparently it's a charlie sheen thing). as well there's details of a seperate tifo they did at the same game to show respect to a seattle supporter that recently died.

It's definitely a bit on the risque side, but as they point out, security did nothing to stop them at the time, and it seems like it was one complaint that caused this. maybe they don't have a good relationship with the FO and they were looking for any excuse to try and rein them in.

What do you think, is it a bit too much, or is this just a big overreaction on the FO's part? I don't know if rpb does official statements of support for this sort of thing or not, but figured I'd post it here, get a lot more attention than my blog would.
    I find it sexist and offensive. but that's my opinion.

Heathen

talking of edgy tifos, do you think this would be out of order for Vancouver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that tifo was totally misogynistic and completely inappropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Sheen is misogynistic and we deserve to have him put out of his misery, but we also deserve to suffer his presence because we seem to care what he says and does. That tifo, however, was undeniably lame, which in the tifo world is a greater crime than misogyny. Well executed, sure, but not at all clever. Just a very lame reference to Sheen that seems to have no contextual relationship to the team, city, league or sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny that it took the complaint of a Seattle fan to cause the stir. So apparently the leagues best supporters don't like it when they're on the receiving end.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    I find it sexist and offensive. but that's my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    that tifo was totally misogynistic and completely inappropriate.
    Agreed. But thats just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they bragging about being at the top of the table 3 games in?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It would have been funnier if San Jose was in first or if they won the MLS Cup last year.

Otherwise it is pretty lame.

I mean if they were in 1st or defending champs... then I could forgive it a bit.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    Are they bragging about being at the top of the table 3 games in?
    The first time I saw that, that's what I was thinking. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would make more sense if they had a clear advantage over and Seattle. Anyway, its pushing the line, its more of an innuendo, then blatantly vulgar. If the banner was met with large opposition from San Jose fans who were actually at the game (father of some grade school kids asking questions etc.) then I would understand. But censoring a supporters group based on one complaint from twitter? Only in MLS. That's almost as bush league as Colorado.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't make out the picture, with the angle shown here. Is it a guy in a SJ jersey in his underwear, about to be blown by two guys kneeling in front of him?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    It would make more sense if they had a clear advantage over and Seattle. Anyway, its pushing the line, its more of an innuendo, then blatantly vulgar. If the banner was met with large opposition from San Jose fans who were actually at the game (father of some grade school kids asking questions etc.) then I would understand. But censoring a supporters group based on one complaint from twitter? Only in MLS. That's almost as bush league as Colorado.
    But on the flipside.

This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im guessing this wasnt a tifo by the soccer mom supporters group in SJ,

"our biggest issue is Ultras 1806 swear too much"

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    I can't make out the picture, with the angle shown here. Is it a guy in a SJ jersey in his underwear, about to be blown by two guys kneeling in front of him?
    that's pretty much it yeah, with the two guys representing seattle, who they were playing that day, and the red bulls (cos they knocked them out of the playoffs last year?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ ??????

they are girls and seattle and LA girls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    Im guessing this wasnt a tifo by the soccer mom supporters group in SJ,

"our biggest issue is Ultras 1806 swear too much"
    the issue that i personally have with that tifo is that it denigrates women and it glorifies the asshole douche charlie sheen. and to no end whatsoever.

quite literally if rpb did this i would terminate my membership immediately.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the banner for the fallen fan was pure clas.
    not onyl because they knew about it.
    but that they took the time to make abanner of regret and respect to their opposition.

well done 1906

(insert 2 girls one cup banner pic)
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Outside of the debate over censorship, the interesting question is whether "silent" protests really work.

I wore green and sat down for our own protest last year but if empty seats at kickoff and quiet fans really made a difference, MLSE must be quaking in their boots over the last season.

Unsold CCL games and dropping renewal rates probably had more of an impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the issue that i personally have with that tifo is that it denigrates women and it glorifies the asshole douche charlie sheen. and to no end whatsoever.

quite literally if rpb did this i would terminate my membership immediately.
    Nice avatar mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the penalty? I just skimmed what was posted and all I see is something about "probation" and then the supporters group protested that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    ^^^^ ??????

they are girls and seattle and LA girls
    is it LA?
    the white and red made me think new york

I guess LA makes a bit more sense as their local(ish) rivals.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i do agree with you, pinkie, i couldnt help but chuckle at your avatar when reading/typing