Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GOL TV HD on Rogers for Tonights SJ Match?

No luck with Leafs TV.

I'm about to pull the plug on my GOL TV subscription. NO HD no watchy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to ALL MLS matches in HD?
    GolTV, TFC, big Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no HD is a real disappointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was in HD at Real Sports

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I ask why this is news?
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a question, how did real sports have the game in HD but it seems that it was not HD in people's homes?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I have a question, how did real sports have the game in HD but it seems that it was not HD in people's homes?
    Because MLSE can pipe the HD feed right into their bar without the need of a cable or satellite provider.

Gol TV does indeed broadcast in HD. The problem appears to be the Canadian carriers (Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, etc) don't seem to want to waste their bandwidth on an HD version of the channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Because MLSE can pipe the HD feed right into their bar without the need of a cable or satellite provider.

Gol TV does indeed broadcast in HD. The problem appears to be the Canadian carriers (Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, etc) don't seem to want to waste their bandwidth on an HD version of the channel.
    ...which kills me, since they have a HD fishing channel.... fishing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What annoys me is the Star Direct satellite - to which I am a subscriber - has a channel dedicated to HD Sporting Events - where it will simulcast the HD version of a sporting event when it is available (Ch. 454), when the regular channel showing it is SD.

On Saturday night - that channel sat empty during the TFC-SJ game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not true. Rogers, Bell, Shaw etc. provide Gol TV with HD Bandwidth for any game that they will broadcast in HD. They are provided with the free preview channels whenever they choose to actually have the HD feed up and running. Until GOL TV builds the HD channel no one can broadcast it.

Curious to know where you got your information?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    This is not true. Rogers, Bell, Shaw etc. provide Gol TV with HD Bandwidth for any game that they will broadcast in HD. They are provided with the free preview channels whenever they choose to actually have the HD feed up and running. Until GOL TV builds the HD channel no one can broadcast it.

Curious to know where you got your information?
    I'm just putting 2+2 together. Gol TV claims an HD broadcast was made available. So why aren't the carriers picking it up?

Is TFC lying to us and trying to get us to go watch road games at Real Sports? lol

Are you implying Gol TV doesn't want to spend the money to deliver the HD product to the carriers?
    Last edited by menefreghista; 04-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is TFC lying to us and trying to get us to go watch road games at Real Sports?
    Sadly, I can't say I would be at all surprised if this was the case.

And considering MLSE own GolTV, it's also not at all improbable that they consciously held the HD feed back for exclusive viewing at the bar they own. Maybe that's what they meant by all games available in HD... as long as you watch them at RSBG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just putting 2+2 together. Gol TV claims an HD broadcast was made available. So why aren't the carriers picking it up?

Is TFC lying to us and trying to get us to go watch road games at Real Sports? lol

Are you implying Gol TV doesn't want to spend the money to deliver the HD product to the carriers?
    Gol TV does not have an HD Channel. They have approved content from the CRTC however they have yet to act upon it and begin putting together a station surrounding the limited HD they do have. The problem is that outside of TFC games Gol doesn't have much HD in their repetoire so it would be a waste for them to pay for the rights to an entire channel for a couple of TFC games on an annual basis.

The carriers aren't picking it up because the channel doesn't exist. I don't know why the last game was not picked up, but if Gol doesn't announce enough in advance that they are broadcasting the game in HD than the carriers can not clear space on the preview channels for it. They won't just bump another free preview because TFC is in HD, that wouldn't make sense from a viewership perspective.

I'm not implying anything. I am telling you that I work in the industry and that it doesn't make sense for Gol to pay for an entire channel centred around a few TFC HD broadcasts. They need to build up their HD content before it would ever be viable for them to pay for the channel.

TFC isn't lying to you about anything...not everything is a conspiracy in the MLS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the background info.

I was kidding about the lying part.

Regardless, this further outlines how retarded it is to put 21 of TFC's games on the channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gol TV does not have an HD Channel. They have approved content from the CRTC however they have yet to act upon it and begin putting together a station surrounding the limited HD they do have. The problem is that outside of TFC games Gol doesn't have much HD in their repetoire so it would be a waste for them to pay for the rights to an entire channel for a couple of TFC games on an annual basis.

The carriers aren't picking it up because the channel doesn't exist. I don't know why the last game was not picked up, but if Gol doesn't announce enough in advance that they are broadcasting the game in HD than the carriers can not clear space on the preview channels for it. They won't just bump another free preview because TFC is in HD, that wouldn't make sense from a viewership perspective.

I'm not implying anything. I am telling you that I work in the industry and that it doesn't make sense for Gol to pay for an entire channel centred around a few TFC HD broadcasts. They need to build up their HD content before it would ever be viable for them to pay for the channel.

TFC isn't lying to you about anything...not everything is a conspiracy in the MLS.
    Please stop posting actual facts...

Don't you know that people like to make stuff about television and pass it off as fact over and over and over and over...???

If you keep posting actual facts they will be forced to stop and that will make them sad...

Or they will revert to the clever "...this network sucks and doesn't care about soccer..." line...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I back that signature Carts. I back it hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, but Leafs TV is an HD Channel. They have 13 leaf games this season on LeafsTV. They have 20+ TFC games on GolTV + I'm sure there is other content like other MLS games that are broadcasted in HD as well. So when you compare that, how is it that they can afford a dedicated channel for Leafs TV and they can't for GolTV?

I'm genuinely asking a question based on your comments because I don't know much about this industry.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Ok, but Leafs TV is an HD Channel. They have 13 leaf games this season on LeafsTV. They have 20+ TFC games on GolTV + I'm sure there is other content like other MLS games that are broadcasted in HD as well. So when you compare that, how is it that they can afford a dedicated channel for Leafs TV and they can't for GolTV?

I'm genuinely asking a question based on your comments because I don't know much about this industry.
    Leafs TV doesn't have a dedicated HD channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafs TV doesn't have a dedicated HD channel.
    I pay for the channel.

Cogeco Cable adds Leafs TV HD to its digital line-up in Ontario

Montréal, October 11, 2007 — Cogeco Cable (TSX: CCA) today announced the launch of a new High Definition (HD) channel. Leafs TV HD, a Canadian digital specialty sports channel, is now offered in HD to the majority of Cogeco Cable Digital Cable customers in the areas served in Ontario.

“HD technology is not only gaining popularity because of the outstanding quality it offers, but also due to the increasing number of channels being offered in HD,” declared Mr. Ron Perrotta, Vice President, Marketing of Cogeco Cable. “By adding Leafs TV HD, we remain committed to providing our customers with the richest TV experience possible, and we intend to add new HD channels to our line-up as they become available”.

Leafs TV HD (channel 276) will be available for free to the majority of Cogeco Digital Cable subscribers who are paying the HD Access Fee of $5.99 per month and who also subscribe to Leafs TV in standard definition. Leafs TV HD includes exclusive live broadcasts of Toronto Maple Leafs games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay for the channel.

Cogeco Cable adds Leafs TV HD to its digital line-up in Ontario
    Interesting.

On Rogers the channel is only used during live Leaf games. The rest of the time it sits blank.

You have to watch the SD version of the channel to get content the rest of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

On Rogers the channel is only used during live Leaf games. The rest of the time it sits blank.

You have to watch the SD version of the channel to get content the rest of the time.
    That's the same as on cogeco and Bell. But that doesn't mean it isn't a dedicated channel.

So I'm just wondering why they can afford to do that for LeafsTV and they can't afford it for GolTV where they have alot more HD content to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the same as on cogeco and Bell. But that doesn't mean it isn't a dedicated channel.

So I'm just wondering why they can afford to do that for LeafsTV and they can't afford it for GolTV where they have alot more HD content to begin with.
    The answer is simple really...viewership. The Leafs make enough money during those 13 games through advertising dollars associated with the strong viewership and it pays the bills for the channel.

GolTV will not draw anywhere near the same number of customers for a TFC game as they would for a Leafs game. The demand simply isn't there yet for an HD station that would play only TFC games. They wouldn't make enough money to make it worth their while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The carriers aren't picking it up because the channel doesn't exist. I don't know why the last game was not picked up, but if Gol doesn't announce enough in advance that they are broadcasting the game in HD than the carriers can not clear space on the preview channels for it.
    Are you making this up? What is your source of information.

GOL TV Canada has told me they DO have an HD channel, but can't get anyone to pick it up.

Rogers has told me that they don't carry GOL TV in HD this year - but make note of my request.

I'd suggest EVERYONE start complaining vocally and publicly to Rogers ASAP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies if this has been said but...

LeafsTV HD sat blank all Saturday night. Why didn't they just dump the HD feed from GOL onto it? Surely something on is better than nothing.

Asif, from TFC, said they tried hard to get it on HD, but how hard could they have tried when they didn't even bother to fill blank space on their own channel?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Asif, from TFC, said they tried hard to get it on HD, but how hard could they have tried when they didn't even bother to fill blank space on their own channel?
    I asked one of them specifically if this was an option, and they said it wasn't an option for them, because it's not a full-time HD channel (I'm not sure the exact constraint, but it seems to have crossed their mind too, fleetingly ...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was pretty aggravated by Asif's line on twitter that this is out of their hands and for us to express our concerns to the broadcasters to pick up HD.

Last I checked it was MLSE that decided where to put these games, and it just so happens that they own GOLTV, a pay channel. If they didn't find out ahead of time that they'd have an issue getting an HD feed picked up they shouldn't be making excuses and should stand there and take the heat. Conversely, if they knew there was going to be an issue with HD and still put it on their own pay TV channel ..... instead of selling the shows to another broadcaster only to then say this is out of their hands ...... F them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    I was pretty aggravated by Asif's line on twitter that this is out of their hands and for us to express our concerns to the broadcasters to pick up HD.

Last I checked it was MLSE that decided where to put these games, and it just so happens that they own GOLTV, a pay channel. If they didn't find out ahead of time that they'd have an issue getting an HD feed picked up they shouldn't be making excuses and should stand there and take the heat. Conversely, if they knew there was going to be an issue with HD and still put it on their own pay TV channel ..... instead of selling the shows to another broadcaster only to then say this is out of their hands ...... F them.
    And to top it all off we know that CBC was interested in broadcasting games. And its a pretty safe bet Sportsnet was interested too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Are you making this up? What is your source of information.

GOL TV Canada has told me they DO have an HD channel, but can't get anyone to pick it up.

Rogers has told me that they don't carry GOL TV in HD this year - but make note of my request.

I'd suggest EVERYONE start complaining vocally and publicly to Rogers ASAP.
    No I'm not making it up. I work in the industry.

There is a difference between GolTV Canada and GolTV in the States. Just because they have an HD channel in the US that Direct TV has managed to pick up does not mean it is available in Canada.

I'd suggest you don't waste your time and that you do some research before getting on top of a soap box and wasting people's time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking of getting rid of GolTV for a while now.

We can get EPL games in HD on Sportsnet, TSN & Setanta

Serie A HD on the Score

La Liga in shitty standard def on GolTV

Get your act together Gol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the argument here? Last year the games that were on GolTv were simulcast on channel 501 on rogers. This year it seems they aren't.

This isnt 2002. High-Definition should be automatic with sports events in North America. The fact that GolTV took a step back in time on Saturday and provided such a poor production even in Standard Def is shameful.