Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    My last remarks on this...

1) Had Aron gathered together the reporters who cover the team during pre-season and told us this was his plan, I think it would have gone over a lot better.

We only found out about it in Vancouver after the game was over when we tried to go into the locker-room. And we didn't hear from Aron on this until the Chivas game when he sent us that letter.

To do it ad hoque like he did was, in my view, poor form.

2) From what I'm told, MLS is not happy about this. They don't like to have their power usurped by a coach. This could come back to bite TFC in the *ss sometime down the line (meaning the league doesnt give them the benefit of the doubt on a suspension ruling or something like that).

3) Scrap the locker-room rule for all 18 teams if TFC is going to get away with this. It's either the same for everybody, or it isn't. Reporters should not have to abide by a different set of rules depending on what team they are covering.

My final two cents.

John

Fine scrap the rule then, giving you media access in the media room or gym is fine by me,
    I dont understand why it HAS to be the locker room, just pick some other room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Good on Harper for limiting questions from the media to 5!

No wait...wrong thread. Or is it?
    Don't get me going on this one Roogs'. We might find a thread of De Ro proportions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Story to follow......"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Fine scrap the rule then, giving you media access in the media room or gym is fine by me,
    I dont understand why it HAS to be the locker room, just pick some other room

I don't think John or any other media care where the interviews are held. I don't think anyone really believes they will get better tidbits of info in the locker room that they won't get in the gym.

What we are talking about here is Winter flagrantly disregarding a league rule. Just because you don't agree with the rule you think it's ok that he intentionally chooses to violate it? That's ridiculous. If we all got to pick and choose what rules, laws and principles to follow then this world would be crazier than it already is.

John and other media simply want consistency and a level playing field that all reporters across the league are using. If they get locker room access, so should Toronto media. If the league wants to do away with the rule and let clubs decide for themselves, I don't think they'd like it, but I doubt they'd be as insistent that the locker room be opened.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Winter was aware of the league directive concerning media access to locker rooms before he came up with his thing
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on Harper for limiting questions from the media to 5!

No wait...wrong thread. Or is it?
    I think politicians should be held to high standards of transparency and accountability, because they work for us, and in our name. They are public employees.

I don't think that standard applies to what are essentially private contractors, working for a private owner. And if the team are still going to be meeting their press obligations (just in a different venue), then aside from the MLS rule being breached (for which I don't know the specifics), I don't see a problem.

And I would fully support other teams tacking the same tack with the press. Players need to have a private place to change and converse with their teammates.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I wonder if Winter was aware of the league directive concerning media access to locker rooms before he came up with his thing
    Im guessing he was, and is just confident that the league won't do much about it - maybe the team gets a small fine.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I dont care. This team is in desperate need of transparency, but evidently the FO doesnt see it that way. Regardless, I have always thought locker-room interviews were fairly strange, often meaningless encounters, so this decision, in and of itself, doesnt really bother me.

That said, I think Winter is completely up his own ass. When I think of things that need to be changed with this club, locker room media access is not something that immediately springs to mind.

Frankly, this just seems like more pointless crap from a rudderless organization. This, "will the league allow it, wont they allow it" thing is eerily reminiscent of MoJo and Carver's weird, coach in the press box, experiment.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 04-04-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Personally, I dont care. This team is in desperate need of transparency, but evidently the FO doesnt see it that way. Regardless, I have always thought locker-room interviews were fairly strange, often meaningless encounters, so this decision, in and of itself, doesnt really bother me.

That said, I think Winter is completely up his own ass. When I think of things that need to be changed with this club, locker room media access is not something that immediately springs to mind.

Frankly, this just seems like more pointless crap from a rudderless organization. This, "will the league allow it, wont they allow it" thing is eerily reminiscent of MoJo and Carver's weird, coach in the press box, experiment.
    This...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I certainly don't think it was top of the list, but unlike the things that are at the top of the list, this could essentially be changed with the snap of his fingers (assuming the league doesn't go to war over it).

If one of his goals is to change the mindset and attitude of our team, perhaps instituting a more European-style of press access is just another small part of the plan.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about European level talent then? No?

Then let's just accept that we live in NORTH AMERICA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got something against Europe Roogsy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about European level talent then? No?

Then let's just accept that we live in NORTH AMERICA.
    I don't follow your point here. "European level talent" is a broad phrase that can apply to everything from the top tier leagues downward.

His experience is in Europe. Perhaps he thinks this change will be positive for the attitude in the locker room, if guys aren't being hounded by the press immediately after games, based on his experiences over there.

I don't think this small change is going to usher in a new dawn for the team, or something - but I do think it's a good decision, so long as the players remain accessible to the media through other means.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    You got something against Europe Roogsy?
    Nope...I just think it's ridiculous to apply European practices and standards in CANADA.

Like somehow lockerroom access is what was wrong with this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope...I just think it's ridiculous to apply European practices and standards in CANADA.

Like somehow lockerroom access is what was wrong with this team.
    You mean like German auto making standards wouldn't work here and so on?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean like German auto making standards wouldn't work here and so on?
    Yup. We have our own standards, and if we were smart, we would make them as good or better than Germany.

Or maybe we should adopt the German legislative structure. And the German Bill of Rights. And the German...and so on...

I don't understand why Canada constantly has penis envy for everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy,

You're posting out of bitterness now man. Maybe you should step away for a bit and gather the perspective that you yourself have admitted to lacking lately.

Read your posts man, their filled with vitriol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that there isn't more understanding for the media's point of view expressed by J-Mo.

Of course we can all related to the concept of the players/team having a private area that's a sanctum of sorts but given this club's history with dishonesty, manipulation, secrecy etc. I'm SHOCKED that people are willing to accept the team's word at face value that they will make all of the players available for comment especially when - as John pointed out - on the eve of the biggest trade in team history the team shut of access that was historically available to them.

They're literally taking away access at the very same time that they're promising that new guidlines won't limit access.

How can anyone believe a word that comes out of their mouths? How can anyone trust that they will indeed make everyone available when one of their most recent actions was to make no one available on the cusp of a major story breaking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    And I agree with him

Not sure what that says about me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Roogsy,

You're posting out of bitterness now man. Maybe you should step away for a bit and gather the perspective that you yourself have admitted to lacking lately.

Do you blame him?

As I've written before:

We've written off a season already. It's chalked up to a "rebuilding year."

I don't really buy that line myself. You put out the best team you possibly can in any given year. That's what regular winners do. You play the game to win championships, not to consolidate the squad (which really means nothing at this point, we have so much turnover that there's been zero consolidation in the squad ever).

I'll keep watching on TV, so long as I don't have to pay a dime. I won't go to a home match. I won't buy Merch. It's as simple as that. Hit MLSE where it hurts the most.

I don't understand the attitude that so many TFC supporters have. I thought last year Preki was working wonders until the wheels fell off the bus and he lost the locker room. I wanted playoffs that year and I didn't accept not making them.

We should have made playoffs in 2009, were it not for a Nick Garcia own goal and a meltdown in New York. I expected playoffs then.

I demand playoffs in 2011 as well. And I'm getting sick of this same old rebuilding line. Stop feeding us bullshit. TFC's definition of rebuilding is to smash the old one to the ground, take out the foundation and then try to build in a marsh next to the old building.

There is no consistency, no consolidation, no attempt to improve the squad marginally. Instead of looking at what worked and what didn't, we rip out those who performed alongside those who didn't, because if the team didn't qualify, then the entire team must be shit right?

That's how this team is run. 100+ players in 4 years, going on 5 years.

It's disgraceful and it's not how you make the marginal improvements to a squad to take them to the playoffs/championship from being one or two spots outside of playoffs.

In trading De Ro, we wrote off another season and reduced our institutional knowledge in favour of more new players. It's another year of new squad members, and another year of getting rid of the good instead of finding players to play alongside them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    As I've said - if they continue to allow the press to have access in another setting, I'm fine with this decision. If they don't, that's a different matter.
    I agree with you, but that's a BIG if from a club that not only hasn't earned trust, but has done everything to destroy it.

And if indeed it was Winter that made this decision, I don't think the organization's history really enters into the equation for me.
    Winter deserves a fresh start and a clean slate, but he's not off to a good start. He closed the media out on the eve of the DeRo trade to prevent the story from breaking, followed that up by annoucing that the media would be blocked from the dressing room and balanced that with a promise of access...the very same access that he blocked just days before.

Ultimately, we don't know if these are Winter's decisions, but clearly he's willing to go along with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. We have our own standards, and if we were smart, we would make them as good or better than Germany.

Or maybe we should adopt the German legislative structure. And the German Bill of Rights. And the German...and so on...

I don't understand why Canada constantly has penis envy for everyone else.
    Nah .. We got the British (Europe) legislative structure. Our country has many European standards / practices. Our history is very much tied in with Europe so I fail to understand you point.
    And we tried doing it better than the Germans , they just do it better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah .. We got the British (Europe) legislative structure. Our country has many European standards / practices. Our history is very much tied in with Europe so I fail to understand you point.
    And we tried doing it better than the Germans , they just do it better.
    Kudos for picking up on this, haha!

We might not have a German legislative structure, but our system is firmly rooted in English common law. Our parliamentary political system is also inescapably European.

- Scott

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you don't agree with the rule you think it's ok that he intentionally chooses to violate it?
    If Harper can do it why not Winter?

oh sorry wrong thread
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Respectfully, I disagree with what Winter has done, and myself and other reporters have filed a complaint with the league.

I get that it may not appear to be a big deal but for me there is a principal involved.

The other 17 teams in MLS abide by this rule. TFC does not. That's not right. Either the rule applies to everybody, or don't bother having it.

The other issue is this.

For now, all players have been made available in the gym after the game, and TFC has said that will continue to be the case.

But what if Nana has a bad game or has a blowup on the sidelines during the game with Winter. What's to stop him from not going to the gym and instead going to the locker-room and quickly getting changed so he can avoid talking to the media?

If we had locker-room access, we could wait for a guy by his locker and he couldn't avoid talking to reporters - because at the end of the day, he still has to get dressed before heading home.

This is how I was able to talk to Dero after the cheque-signing. I waited by his locker for a good 20 minutes after most of the players left. Had I not had locker-room access, he would have been able to avoid talking to the media and wouldn't have had to explain his actions.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media coverage of the team.

As i said, I know it may not seem like a big deal. And I know many of you will be rolling your eyes at this - "ah, pity the poor soccer reporter who gets to go to games for free and gets paid to write about poor sports."

I get that. You shouldn't feel sympathy for me or any other reporter. Save your sympathy for people who are genuinely sympathetic.

But as I told Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 today, this is a big deal because it sets a dangerous precedent.

John Molinaro, CBC Sports

Respectfully John, i think that the media in the Western World have far too many rights and are already plenty intrusive when it comes to people's lives, particularly athletes.

If you want what is good for this team, then i think you'd be pleased for this rule and you can still cover your story in the Gym.

If on the other hand you just want the most 'shocking' story of a player 'exploding' by all means continue to violate all reason and human privacy/dignity the the press currently does.

P.s you guys ask the same boring questions every flipping interview and it seems you do 'daily' updates.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the one hand people complain that they media coverage for TFC sucks. That the MSM in Canada and Toronto doesn't cover the sport enough or doesn't do enough stories with meat.

But than the club makes it harder for the media to do their job and everyone is ok with it because it came from our Dutch savior.

I still don't understand why this decision was made. What happened that led to this?

Or is Winter so paranoid of the media that he is trying to shield his team from it before anything actually happens?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be that he didn't know how intrusive interviews were really going to be and once he found out he installed the rule

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Could be that he didn't know how intrusive interviews were really going to be and once he found out he installed the rule
    Again, just sounds like fans want Winter to succeed so badly that we will make any excuse for his decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Winter realized that he would be walking into a situation that was mired in controversy and incessant negativity. I don't blame him at all for trying to change the culture and the atmosphere surrounding the club, especially in the wake of the DeRo trade. I don't understand why he should be villified for trying to protect his players from unnecessary media scrutiny.

Besides, he's not restricting access to the players, just the locker room. If MLS has an issue with his decision, the league office will deal with it.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't think Winter realized that he would be walking into a situation that was mired in controversy and incessant negativity. I don't blame him at all for trying to change the culture and the atmosphere surrounding the club, especially in the wake of the DeRo trade. I don't understand why he should be villified for trying to protect his players from unnecessary media scrutiny.

Besides, he's not restricting access to the players, just the locker room. If MLS has an issue with his decision, the league office will deal with it.

Certainly Mariner knew. And knew the league rules about media. Anyway, it's good to see Winter running things. Has the league said anything? Or are they going to allow this for every other team now, too?