Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also...if MLS and the media win this fight my first course of action if I were Winter would be to advise the players to only give the following answers to every single question asked.

1. "This game is behind us. We're going to start working on winning the next one."
    2. "No comment"

It'd be funny to read the same shitty quotes after every game, in every publication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem with locker room being off limits.

It seems the interviews in the gym following matches, have worked fine anyway.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Also...if MLS and the media win this fight my first course of action if I were Winter would be to advise the players to only give the following answers to every single question asked.

1. "This game is behind us. We're going to start working on winning the next one."
    2. "No comment"

It'd be funny to read the same shitty quotes after every game, in every publication.
    That's what I would coach the players to do if that was the case as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    I am WAY more concerned about closed practices, and I have raised that issue with TFC's PR folks, as well.

I've asked them to approach Aron about opening Thursday practices again.
    That's totally understandable. If the interviews are conducted after practice, and don't disrupt the coaches tactical instructions, player workouts, etc., the main stream media should definitely have access to the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

2. "No comment"

Actually, he could be doing that already, regardless of where the interview takes place. The team could be really uncooperative about interviews even allowing the press into the locker room. So why be so concerned with what ifs. It could be alot worse.
    Last edited by mmmikey; 04-04-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Fixed my poor sleep deprived comprehension of your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Then I apologize to De Vos as I had thought he had tweeted that. But then was told he didn't than told he did.

all I know is that its not in his twitter feed anymore (though it could have been deleted). though it'd be weird if they both used the same term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last remarks on this...

1) Had Aron gathered together the reporters who cover the team during pre-season and told us this was his plan, I think it would have gone over a lot better.

We only found out about it in Vancouver after the game was over when we tried to go into the locker-room. And we didn't hear from Aron on this until the Chivas game when he sent us that letter.

To do it ad hoque like he did was, in my view, poor form.

2) From what I'm told, MLS is not happy about this. They don't like to have their power usurped by a coach. This could come back to bite TFC in the *ss sometime down the line (meaning the league doesnt give them the benefit of the doubt on a suspension ruling or something like that).

3) Scrap the locker-room rule for all 18 teams if TFC is going to get away with this. It's either the same for everybody, or it isn't. Reporters should not have to abide by a different set of rules depending on what team they are covering.

My final two cents.

John
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 04-04-2011 at 04:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    From slap in the face to dangerous precedent, give me a break. At what point does your objectivity become an issue? You're as critical of the management as we are!

Your main issue seems to be players avoiding reporters, but there's been no evidence to suggest that this would happen. I totally disagree that this means less media coverage of the team, the team will always have a beat and the Toronto public will always demand TFC-related stories.

Complaining to the league is totally in poor form, especially since most of your concerns are baseless and unfounded.

Maybe that's why De Vos isn't sweating it while Molinaro is.
    That last comment was completely uncalled for. There is no reason to take a personal swipe as someone who is only laying out their side of this story/debate. That is what is called "poor form".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still waiting for the day when those post-game interviews are actually interesting. haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a good move by the team, but I'll be interested to see how the league reacts.

As long as players are still made available to the media, I don't see what the problem is. These aren't politicians, who have a duty to allow a certain level of media access and transparency - these are athletes, playing for a privately owned team. If Winter wants to give the players a "safe place" where they can be free of the press, then I'm all for it.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respectfully, I disagree with what Winter has done, and myself and other reporters have filed a complaint with the league.

I get that it may not appear to be a big deal but for me there is a principal involved.

The other 17 teams in MLS abide by this rule. TFC does not. That's not right. Either the rule applies to everybody, or don't bother having it.

The other issue is this.

For now, all players have been made available in the gym after the game, and TFC has said that will continue to be the case.

But what if Nana has a bad game or has a blowup on the sidelines during the game with Winter. What's to stop him from not going to the gym and instead going to the locker-room and quickly getting changed so he can avoid talking to the media?

If we had locker-room access, we could wait for a guy by his locker and he couldn't avoid talking to reporters - because at the end of the day, he still has to get dressed before heading home.

This is how I was able to talk to Dero after the cheque-signing. I waited by his locker for a good 20 minutes after most of the players left. Had I not had locker-room access, he would have been able to avoid talking to the media and wouldn't have had to explain his actions.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media coverage of the team.

As i said, I know it may not seem like a big deal. And I know many of you will be rolling your eyes at this - "ah, pity the poor soccer reporter who gets to go to games for free and gets paid to write about poor sports."

I get that. You shouldn't feel sympathy for me or any other reporter. Save your sympathy for people who are genuinely sympathetic.

But as I told Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 today, this is a big deal because it sets a dangerous precedent.

John Molinaro, CBC Sports
    I'd rather have better football played than have the players harassed by media just after getting off the pitch - they should be able to keep their mind on the game they've just played. Not on giving quotes and performing for the cameras. If a player wants to skip out early anyway and not talk to the media, they usually do. Normally only banalities are issued immediately post-game. And frankly the European media doesn't seem to have a problem writing stories with this format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last remarks on this...

1) Had Aron gathered together the reporters who cover the team during pre-season and told us this was his plan, I think it would have gone over a lot better.

We only found out about it in Vancouver after the game was over when we tried to go into the locker-room. And we didn't hear from Aron on this until the Chivas game when he sent us that letter.

To do it ad hoque like he did was, in my view, poor form.

2) From what I'm told, MLS is not happy about this. They don't like to have their power usurped by a coach. This could come back to bite TFC in the *ss sometime down the line (meaning the league doesnt give them the benefit of the doubt on a suspension ruling or something like that).

3) Scrap the locker-room rule for all 18 teams if TFC is going to get away with this. It's either the same for everybody, or it isn't. Reporters should not have to abide by a different set of rules depending on what team they are covering.

My final two cents.

John
    True, it sounds like Winter was unprepared for the North American style and only just responded. Not surprising. IMO, the rule should be scrapped. I don't think this format has anytime to do with serious journalism - it's all part of the "entertainment/promotional aspect" of NA sports.... and hence I'd be shocked if anything was scrapped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    MLS doesn't even follow their own rules.
    That is a legitimate point. Wouldn't be a shocker if the league just lets it slide, they have a history of picking and choosing when to enforce things.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny that people argue that the locker room SHOULD be cut-off from media access.

THEN people argue that the club isn't transparent enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro just wants to see the boys all sweaty in their underwear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which, of course, is perfectly fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    which, of course, is perfectly fine
    yup, just wish Molinaro would be honest about his intentions!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfair? Rules? Its not an Olympic event. Just a change of where the interviews take place. No gold medals being handed out.

Maybe it was communicated poorly, and it could lead to something else down the line, but its tangibly not that big a deal.

Tell the league Harold Ballard set a MLSE precedent decades ago and it should be "grandfathered" into the rulebook. MLS should have no problem with that sort of thing.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Tell the league Harold Ballard set a MLSE precedent decades ago and it should be "grandfathered" into the rulebook. MLS should have no problem with that sort of thing.
    Yeh, if the Galaxy can get away with grandfathering in Landon Donovan's contract among other things, then TFC should be able to get some leeway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the Leafs would do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not reading this whole thread, I read the first two pages though.

The use of the phrase 'dangerous precedent' had me in stitches.

It's the thin end of the wedge and then BAM its martial law and were living under communist rule hahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I know, I'm just having fun with it. Besides, I'm pretty sure Ballard only banned reporters from the locker room.
    unless they were attractive women.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    It's funny that people argue that the locker room SHOULD be cut-off from media access.

THEN people argue that the club isn't transparent enough.
    Not really. I'm all for the club being more transparent with the supporters - they can stil serve that goal while giving the players a private inner sanctum, away from the prying eyes of the press and the fans.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respectfully, I disagree with what Winter has done, and myself and other reporters have filed a complaint with the league.

I get that it may not appear to be a big deal but for me there is a principal involved.

The other 17 teams in MLS abide by this rule. TFC does not. That's not right. Either the rule applies to everybody, or don't bother having it.

The other issue is this.

For now, all players have been made available in the gym after the game, and TFC has said that will continue to be the case.

But what if Nana has a bad game or has a blowup on the sidelines during the game with Winter. What's to stop him from not going to the gym and instead going to the locker-room and quickly getting changed so he can avoid talking to the media?

If we had locker-room access, we could wait for a guy by his locker and he couldn't avoid talking to reporters - because at the end of the day, he still has to get dressed before heading home.

This is how I was able to talk to Dero after the cheque-signing. I waited by his locker for a good 20 minutes after most of the players left. Had I not had locker-room access, he would have been able to avoid talking to the media and wouldn't have had to explain his actions.

This gym/locker-room issue also comes on the heels of Winter's decision to close Thursday's practices to the media, which makes my job harder and in the end means less media coverage of the team.

As i said, I know it may not seem like a big deal. And I know many of you will be rolling your eyes at this - "ah, pity the poor soccer reporter who gets to go to games for free and gets paid to write about poor sports."

I get that. You shouldn't feel sympathy for me or any other reporter. Save your sympathy for people who are genuinely sympathetic.

But as I told Jeff Blair on the Fan 590 today, this is a big deal because it sets a dangerous precedent.

John Molinaro, CBC Sports
    no...I understand and I think I would feel the same if someone threatened my ability to do my job...esp when they want/need media coverage, remember most of the media types here in Tor and all of N. America could easily be like Bob McCowan and crap on soccer daily....My initial reaction was to write the papers and say F##k MLSE, don't run any stories on soccer.....eventually do we have a situation where people get less interested each year to where we finally have 10000 fans / game...remember when Argos had blackouts... if you crap on the media watchout they don't bite back....this is MLSE's payback...straight and simple,...don't mess with us
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this move. I think its a positive that gives the players a little time to collect their thoughts whilst they they wash their balls....I know thats when I do my best thinking !!

I think the media will get better answers, and god help us that maybe, they could use that extra 20 minutes to come up with some better questions..not everyone, but watching the postgame questions is just mind numbing sometimes.

Overall, it should result in more quality. Another 20 minutes wait should not affect transparency. if the questions you ask are posed intelligently, you'll can still get the answer you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting.

-The hometown "hero" walks out on the team.

-Management has been a mess almost since day one.

-6 coaches in 5 years.

-Ample evidence of locker room rifts and power struggles

I think not allowing the media in is a great decision. It gives the players the privacy of the locker room, where anything said in there stays in there amongst them as it should be, and if you want to speak publicly do it at the post game press conference, where everyone can hear you, instead of mumbling something in the corner of the room to some reporter who may spin your comments. It also gives Winter an element of control. "no one person is bigger than the team" he said. There's a new sherif in town who is weeding out the bullshit. Good move!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what you wanted was your rubber stamp on the coaches call??? This is a joke and nothing more then a pathetic power grab. And now the media is trying to influence the supporters to go after TFC and Winter.

Now here we have the media playing the victim.

One word for ya "Twitter" if i wanna here what a player has to say that where I go!
    Last edited by babone; 04-04-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    I like this move. I think its a positive that gives the players a little time to collect their thoughts whilst they they wash their balls....I know thats when I do my best thinking !!

I think the media will get better answers, and god help us that maybe, they could use that extra 20 minutes to come up with some better questions..not everyone, but watching the postgame questions is just mind numbing sometimes.

Overall, it should result in more quality. Another 20 minutes wait should not affect transparency. if the questions you ask are posed intelligently, you'll can still get the answer you want.
    This!

Sometimes I wonder if half the guys holding the mics are required to wear helmets on a daily basis.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on Harper for limiting questions from the media to 5!

No wait...wrong thread. Or is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babone View Post
    Now here we have the media playing the victim.
    Sorry, I thought they were crusading for justice and truth and fighting oppression.

I mean, its fucking crucial that we get information such as:

"Well things didnt go our way today, they played hard in defence and we couldnt find a way through, but we need to keep moving forward and try and win the next game"

or

"It was a great game, we pushed hard and defended well, xxx got a great goal, they tried to get it back at the end there, but we held on"

If we cant get such info, immediately after the game, straight from the mouth of a sweat drenched player wearing a towel, then the players might actually have conversations in PRIVATE!

Is your Canadian sense of liberty offended yet?