Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    As much as we the fans count on media to get a scoop that goes beyond our endless speculation, there is a certain point where the players and team should have the right to prioritize the good of the club above media access.

I would rather the team to have 15 mins to talk about the game, their performances and allow Winter to maybe give a blowdryer treatment if he feels it is necessary rather than get some juicy quote from the media. I'll take the platitudes that are formulated if it means a better direction for the club. Besides.. privacy. It is a right, I don't care whether your a professional athlete or not.

Sidenote: John I understand your questioning this change as setting a dangerous precedence, but I have to question why you automatically reacted with so little faith in Winter's word to make them available. You seem to have little goodwill for TFC now a days.
    Winter talks to the team before coming to talk to the press, so he is allowed to give them the blowdryer treatment in privacy if he wants. After he talks to the press, then we talk to players.

As for why I have little faith in his words, read my earlier posts about Winter closing Thursday practices to the media (they were always open before) and for what they did last Friday with the closing of practice.

I just see a trend developing here, and it worries me.

John
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 04-04-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    As for why I have little faith in his words, read my earlier posts about Winter closing Thursday practices to the media (they were always open before) and for what they did last Friday with the closing of practice.
    I appreciate your concern, but are practices required to be open? If not then it's certainly Winter's perogative to close practice to make sure nothing leaks (whether we like it or not). There is nothing to suggest he wouldn't live up to an obligation to make players available after a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I appreciate your concern, but are practices required to be open? If not then it's certainly Winter's perogative to close practice to make sure nothing leaks (whether we like it or not). There is nothing to suggest he wouldn't live up to an obligation to make players available after a game.
    Fair enough. I respect you feel that way about the closing of practices, so long as you then don't complain about there being a lack of stories on TFC to read in the media on that day - hard for me to write about the team in a comprehensive way if I can't talk to players or the coach at practice.

John

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I respect you feel that way about the closing of practices, so long as you then don't complain about there being a lack of stories on TFC to read in the media on that day - hard for me to write about the team in a comprehensive way if I can't talk to players or the coach at practice.

John
    John

I like you and always enjoy reading your work. This will make your job harder to do and I can appreciate that and why you are upset about it. At the end of the day Mr. Winter is responsible to maintain what he thinks is best for the club.

At work when my job gets harder I can't petition anyone to change the rules for me. I have 2 choices:
    1. Just suck it up and do what I get paid to do.
    2. Quit and find something new to pay the bills.

We all love reading about TFC and love to know whats happening on and off the field but personally if I have to sacrifice that for a winning club I think you know what my answer (and everyone else on this board for that fact) will be. Mr. Winter has made it clear that players will still live up to media obligations so as long as they do you will probably be just fine. If they don't then its time to be upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter talks to the team before coming to talk to the press, so he is allowed to give them the blowdryer treatment in privacy if he wants. After he talks to the press, then we talk to players.

John
    Saw that post about practice, and while I understand what you are saying, and sympathize with you that it must be frustrating to you as you try to do your job, it really is not Winter's job to maintain media access if he feels it would be detrimental. The manager must put the best interests of his team above all. Your dealing with a guy who is cultivating a new culture, and even those who deal with the team from the outside looking in like yourself in the media will be affected.

If he starts pulling the Sir Alex stuff, fine you have a point, but I don't think we are anywhere close to that extreme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw that post about practice, and while I understand what you are saying, and sympathize with you that it must be frustrating to you as you try to do your job, it really is not Winter's job to maintain media access if he feels it would be detrimental. The manager must put the best interests of his team above all. Your dealing with a guy who is cultivating a new culture, and even those who deal with the team from the outside looking in like yourself in the media will be affected.

If he starts pulling the Sir Alex stuff, fine you have a point, but I don't think we are anywhere close to that extreme.

There, albeit the drama with the club is always there, but without media amplifying it (timing of release, partial info at time of release, perspective etc), it won't run on itself wild like it has been in the past. I know this is part of the reporting and investigative work and due diligence of journalism and nothing wrong with it. However, it is not in the best interest of the new culture and new coach to continue the 'old way' when the team is 'sick'. Let it heal first, things hopefully would get better.

EDIT: this board is always full of drama with everyone quoting 'sources' lol it doesn't count
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it completely baffling how many people are in agreement with this.

I guess they like the hard hitting coverage delivered on torontofc.ca or goltv?

Alot of assumptions from people who don't have a clue. Listen to the show on 590 - Blair makes strong points and also with regards to the club 'making players available' he said "been there done that - it does not work".

I've already heard about what's going on in the gym and while the players are in there, they are not 100% accessible as several approaches to talk with players have been reneged because they are stretching and need to focus on that, or are swarmed on their bike and eventually are just done with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sir Alex" stuff is usually manipulating the media for the good of the team. He is very calculated on how he does this and what results he will get, and is a master of this. It may not make him popular, but it is very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John
    This is another with which I would have to disagree: just because something used to be done one way, is not sufficient a reason to argue against change.

But it does give insight that perhaps the media aren't entirely trustful of TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe this move is without precident in Toronto. I'm pretty sure a similar situation existed with the Blue Jays a few years back. I seem to recall Kelly Gruber having issues (mainly with female reporters in the locker room, a position supported by his wife). And I thought the Leafs did this for a while.

I respect the reporter's need for access and hope the team will make sure access is still available. There have been a few good points made about the comments from the players anyway - most of the time we hear the same tired cliches. I'm sure most writers could paraphrase without ever speaking to a player.

However, after having been involved with junior hockey teams where there have been media present, this has pretty much been the position of clubs that I've been associated with. Media could request specific players and in general, the coaches made sure that the player obliged.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    I don't believe this move is without precident in Toronto. I'm pretty sure a similar situation existed with the Blue Jays a few years back. I seem to recall Kelly Gruber having issues (mainly with female reporters in the locker room, a position supported by his wife). And I thought the Leafs did this for a while.

I respect the reporter's need for access and hope the team will make sure access is still available. There have been a few good points made about the comments from the players anyway - most of the time we hear the same tired cliches. I'm sure most writers could paraphrase without ever speaking to a player.

However, after having been involved with junior hockey teams where there have been media present, this has pretty much been the position of clubs that I've been associated with. Media could request specific players and in general, the coaches made sure that the player obliged.
    That's what I have been accustomed to. Reporters would come down and ask to speak with player x, y, z and the player would come outside the dressing room to speak with the reporter. Same with the coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting issue. This league needs more access to/and reporting of players, games and teams, not less - if it hopes to grow the league in prominance.

I can see both sides of the argument. But in the end it will probably be up to the league to decide and we'll have to live with it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they required by the league to hold open practices for the media?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    Are they required by the league to hold open practices for the media?
    No, they aren't.

But again, they always were in the past. And the fact they are closed now, coupled with the locker-room/gym issue and what happened last Friday, is leading to a dangerous trend, IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that's what I was getting at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, you are posting on a supporters forum. Most people here are only interested in what might help our team win. If Winter feels that this will help the boys win then I don't care where and when you get to ask them about it.

It's all about success and some managers don't think media in the dressing room helps with the success of the team. That's all that needs saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    John, you are posting on a supporters forum. Most people here are only interested in what might help our team win. If Winter feels that this will help the boys win then I don't care where and when you get to ask them about it.

It's all about success and some managers don't think media in the dressing room helps with the success of the team. That's all that needs saying.
    Fair enough. I respect your view.

The only reason why I am posting here is so that I can explain myself so you know where I am coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I respect your view.

The only reason why I am posting here is so that I can explain myself so you know where I am coming from.
    I appreciate that it's your job and that it makes it tough for you and your peers though and I'm definitely not saying I'm against you guys doing what you have to do. I just know what people here really care about and most would take 3 pts on any given Saturday over a whole lotta interviews in the locker room.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a bit of an unspoken issue here that is bigger than the one that we are discussing on the surface.

Most teams now recognize that "content" has value. And in establishing their own TV Stations (GolTV, LeafsTV, RaptorsTV as an example), if they control the content they control the message AND the revenue.

Breaking stories on team owned networks, exclusive "access" to players before anyone else, expanded pre and post game coverage, etc. If you aren't working for the team, you may be on the outside of the big scoop and in this era of "speed to press" this is a big deal.

It's not unusual in sports. Yankees have YES network, even the Rogers' owned Blue Jays probably favour Rogers' Sportsnet in some way, shape, or form.

In some ways it is expected. In others it is a little dangerous as you could end up with FOXNews when it comes to spin.

I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.
    Do you really think that will be the case though?

The other thing I'm finding strange in terms of the reaction here is, don't people think this just their way of controlling the news (or at least drastically limiting) coming out of the club? I mean this forum goes ape-shit crazy for any type of rumour or breaking story - well you can pretty much kiss that goodbye.

If JDG has another crap season, will everyone be satisfied with the TFC TV interviews? Or do you want someone to put him on the spot and ask him hard questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    There is a bit of an unspoken issue here that is bigger than the one that we are discussing on the surface.

Most teams now recognize that "content" has value. And in establishing their own TV Stations (GolTV, LeafsTV, RaptorsTV as an example), if they control the content they control the message AND the revenue.

Breaking stories on team owned networks, exclusive "access" to players before anyone else, expanded pre and post game coverage, etc. If you aren't working for the team, you may be on the outside of the big scoop and in this era of "speed to press" this is a big deal.

It's not unusual in sports. Yankees have YES network, even the Rogers' owned Blue Jays probably favour Rogers' Sportsnet in some way, shape, or form.

In some ways it is expected. In others it is a little dangerous as you could end up with FOXNews when it comes to spin.

Yeah, this is what's important here. And how the league reacts. Or really, how the team will react to what the league has to say. If the MLS tell Winter he can't do this will the team side with him or the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We as fans do have a vested interest in getting as much press access to the team as possible. We also have a vested interest in seeing the off-the-pitch drama subside. I see this as a reasonable adjustment to shift the interviews to a mixed zone outside the locker room. If it is being done to prevent the media from getting access to players, then I wouldn't be ok with it. Let's see how it works for a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was a player I'd prefer to have that privacy so that I could cool down after a loss, or let loose after a win with my teammates and coaches.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.
    yarly. last thing I'd want to do in a locker room is answering questions with a towel wrapped around my waist. too much intrusion of privacy IMO
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want English style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

fyp, that sort of rubbish is found predominantly in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?
    That's well said - b/c it was Winter in the past few days that kept saying "nobody is bigger than the club" now he is trying the same type attitude he dislikes in players himself with the league...

I wonder if he/TFC tried talking to the league about it...???

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John, no worries.

A good reporter will still be able to get the real story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, you've had better coverage of the team than a lot of the media. Don't worry about your following here - it is secure.