Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babone View Post
    I wonder if Garber addressed the team before going puplic? And if the team refuses to comply if there is a precedant for fines if the team does not comply.
    Why should he have? Did the team give the LEAGUE a head's up before they decided to change LEAGUE rules?
    Last edited by kaos197O; 04-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    This whole story is ridiculous. This was going to happen sooner or later.
    I'm guessing someone other than Winter typed up that letter after he requested the lockout. He is not to blame here. Shouldnt someone at MLSE have advised him not to do this? Is anyone in that organization competent FFS???
    Someone forged his signature too, right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Act like a man, you will be treated like a man. Act like a child, you will be treated like a child.
    When he walked out, he didn't give up his right to be treated respectfully, if he came back. Not with me anyway.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    The media in this city has such a sense of entitlement it's revolting.
    It's a LEAGUE policy! The media IS entitled as per LEAGUE RULES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Act like a man, you will be treated like a man. Act like a child, you will be treated like a child.
    How is a player supposed to treat the club that ripped him off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    OMG it's Dero-to-Celtic-gate all over again!

I was thinking of Carver and sitting in the press box, but there is a trend here.

What I'm really hoping is that the team backs Winter 100% (even if you think he's heavy handed or whatever) and that he'll be the only one speaking for the team. The whole DeRo thing (and the Carver thing and so many others with this team) seemed to all come down to too many people speaking for TFC and nothing definitive being said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was dumb and smug for Winter to do what he did, without discussing it with the league.

Winter standing over Cann, while Adrian read an apology like a POW for the cameras, you think every other team in the league didn't make a tape of that, just to show potential signings who are considering Toronto how much fun they can look forward to at TFC?

We live in the messy world we live in. Good players have to want to come here. Winter's act will bite us in the ass one day soon.

I'm dying to see Winter succeed. I really am. But he has got to throttle back this tough guy stuff. There's a general consensus that he was tough but fair with Dero. So enough. He doesn't need to keep it up with this other stuff.
    In fairness to Winter, I believe he handled the DeRo and Cann situations appropriately, and this was merely an attempt to shield his players from potential media scrutiny. As of now, it's really not an issue.

As long as Winter isn't defiant in response to Garber's verdict, this story will fade into the background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    hundreds of pages ripping DeRo, but he never walked out on the team.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right about this too. But even this doesn't matter.

Good leaders believe that their people are essentially good, but make mistakes. Cann came back. He was back on the team. He was fully humiliated even before that idiotic press conference. Winter piling on like that was 100% the wrong thing to do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    Why should he have. Did the team give the LEAGUE a head's up before they decided to change LEAGUE rules?
    So your telling me the league should go public before addresssing an issue with a team. Please!

Personally i say Send me the fines and keep the locker closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hundreds of pages ripping DeRo, but he never walked out on the team.
    I supported both DeRo and Cann - they were lied to and felt cheated, as would any of us in the same situation. Fans want to see everything as an individual event, but the players talk to each other and know what's going on. So when Cann sees that DeRo got screwed over, and then finds out that he's getting screwed over too he's not only reacting to his situation but taking a stance vs a club that has a history and habit of lying to players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was dumb and smug for Winter to do what he did, without discussing it with the league.

Winter standing over Cann, while Adrian read an apology like a POW for the cameras, you think every other team in the league didn't make a tape of that, just to show potential signings who are considering Toronto how much fun they can look forward to at TFC?

We live in the messy world we live in. Good players have to want to come here. Winter's act will bite us in the ass one day soon.

I'm dying to see Winter succeed. I really am. But he has got to throttle back this tough guy stuff. There's a general consensus that he was tough but fair with Dero. So enough. He doesn't need to keep it up with this other stuff.
    I won't get into the Cann thing specifically, but I don't understand the connection you're trying to show here. Winter's attempt at keeping media out of the locker room could also be seen as protecting the players, giving them some quiet space (i.e., the opposite of what you feel about the treatment of Cann). And Winter would have had this rule apply to himself, other coaches etc., as well as the players. He's not used to having media in the locker room; he finds it annoying, disruptive, and dangerous for the success of the club; and he is trying to reduce the amount of drama around the club. Apparently he was naive about being able to implement this rule -- but I don't see the connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    It's a LEAGUE policy! The media IS entitled as per LEAGUE RULES!
    The Leafs play in MLS? wtf? I wasn't talking about just TFC. Read carefully before you bust out the outraged capslock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I supported both DeRo and Cann - they were lied to and felt cheated, as would any of us in the same situation. Fans want to see everything as an individual event, but the players talk to each other and know what's going on. So when Cann sees that DeRo got screwed over, and then finds out that he's getting screwed over too he's not only reacting to his situation but taking a stance vs a club that has a history and habit of lying to players.
    How can you support their positions when they both had signed contracts?

In my mind there is no excuse for Cann walking out on the team that is under new management, especially considering the fact that Winter was still willing to grant him most of what was allegedly promised to him by MoJo, even though he wasn't contractually obligated to offer Cann anything at all.

Seriously. I agree that it was an underhanded maneuver by MoJo to make false promises to DeRo and Cann but these are grown men for crying out loud, and a signed contract is a signed contract, end of story.

If Cann and DeRo had issues with their contracts they have two people to blame, their agents, and themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screwed over ? Johnston may have lied to them and promised them the world, but that was never in writing. They were very naive to believe anything that shitbag said.
    Don't forget they were both happy to sign their contracts when they did and they were both a short time into them when they started to complain.
    Their performances were as expected, no more, but more importantly the team's results didn't improve, and to kick-off when they did was ill timed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm Winter I ask the brass to see if they're interested in taking a stand and paying fines.

If they're not...fine. That's reasonable.

Back to normal with the media I guess.

I would, however, encourage my players to give out as many "no comments" as humanly possible for every locker room interview and be as verbose as possible anywhere other than the locker room.

If Winter wants the locker room to be a place for the team only...then that should be his choice.

It's a stupid MLS rule that they may have to adhere to for now. But that doesn't mean that they have to like it, or be cordial hosts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope we can one day be talking more about the accomplishments of this club rather than the fumbles. It seems like it's one after the other with this team.
    I'm sure word gets around the league pretty fast about all the BS that surrounds this team, to be honest I'm not sure if it's repairable or something we just have to accept until this team is run into the ground.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Well,he will give accsess to the room but players will not be there,he is not breaking the rule,say what you want.

Apparently he was...say what you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Cann situation, then Dero, then Winter barring the media from the room - you could hold a contest to "name this soap opera" ...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Turmoil FC
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I won't get into the Cann thing specifically, but I don't understand the connection you're trying to show here. Winter's attempt at keeping media out of the locker room could also be seen as protecting the players, giving them some quiet space (i.e., the opposite of what you feel about the treatment of Cann). And Winter would have had this rule apply to himself, other coaches etc., as well as the players. He's not used to having media in the locker room; he finds it annoying, disruptive, and dangerous for the success of the club; and he is trying to reduce the amount of drama around the club. Apparently he was naive about being able to implement this rule -- but I don't see the connection.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    With the Cann situation, then Dero, then Winter barring the media from the room - you could hold a contest to "name this soap opera" ...

Respectfully..the media situation is not nearly the dramatic story that the other two are.

The media story has been blown out of proportion around here.

Winter wanted to keep the media away from the locker room...not away from the team altogether.

It seemed like a reasonable thing to do if he thought it would help the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Turmoil FC
    That's pretty good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Respectfully..the media situation is not nearly the dramatic story that the other two are.

The media story has been blown out of proportion around here.

Winter wanted to keep the media away from the locker room...not away from the team altogether.

It seemed like a reasonable thing to do if he thought it would help the team.
    I never said it was as big as the other two...

But everything adds up unfortunately...

Here's the shocking part; "something blown out of proportion? Here? On this site? In the Toronto media? NO! SURELY NO!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I never said it was as big as the other two...

But everything adds up unfortunately...

Here's the shocking part; "something blown out of proportion? Here? On this site? In the Toronto media? NO! SURELY NO!!!!"

Hahaha...true enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    The Leafs play in MLS? wtf? I wasn't talking about just TFC. Read carefully before you bust out the outraged capslock.
    Far from outraged and I apologize for misinterpreting your post. I thought you were speaking about the media with regards to the team that we are speaking of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't understand the connection you're trying to show here.

He's not used to having media in the locker room; he finds it annoying, disruptive, and dangerous for the success of the club; and he is trying to reduce the amount of drama around the club.
    The connection is that, in every case, his prime motive appears to be to tighten control over the club using authoritarian methods. It's always popular with a subset (maybe a significant subset) of the fans. I get that. This has been FC Hollywood of the North.

But Winter seems unhealthily obsessed by this. What do you think the players think?

We have to have talented people, with other options, actively choose to come here, for us to succeed.

I'll say it again:

We have to have talented people, with other options, actively choose to come here, for us to succeed.

For every Sir Alex, there's 25 guys who try this unsuccessfully.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by babone View Post
    So your telling me the league should go public before addresssing an issue with a team. Please!

Personally i say Send me the fines and keep the locker closed.
    You never answered my questions and NO that is not what I implied.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Apparently he was...say what you want.
    I have nothing to say except I was wrong,Bush League struck again and we have to live with it.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote for team Winter... where's the poll?