Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everything Winter has said here, and I hope his decision stands.

I do think its all a deflection though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I agree with everything Winter has said here, and I hope his decision stands.

I do think its all a deflection though.
    That's what I said earlier, which I think is the case as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    Semantics. There are guidelines and rules that owners have to follow in dealing with the league. If they have league approval, we will soon see it. If they don't they believe that they can act outside the leagues rules. Regardless of whether or not they spend money, they knew the rules when they bought the franchise and should live up to their initial agreement or have things changed in the appropriate forum!

Personally, I don't care about when or where they get interviewed, but TFC has shown heavy handed management in the past and since they have taken a "HIGH ROAD" stance, I actually want to ensure that they take that road on all levels of their dealings!
    absolutely, my point however was that the oft used phrase

'no player is bigger than the club' refers to the fact that the club is supposed to be a unified effort all seeking to achieve the same goal. Its not about any one individual effort, and no individual's aspirations is more important than the team effort.

As far as the league goes, this is a collective of teams competing against each other, and buying into the right to do so. Its a cut throat game of monopoly with secret rules, trading favours and machiavellian politics. There are many clubs around the world that are bigger than their leagues, in the respect that if they pulled out the league would degenerate.

What would happen to the SPL should Rangers and Celtic join the prem for instance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    6.11.2 Post-Game Media Access. A Head Coach may keep the locker room closed to the media for the purpose of a post-Game Team meeting for no more than TEN (10) minutes from the end of the more than TEN (10) minutes from the end of the Game (determined by the Referee's whistle) of Teams will remain on site for a minimum of FORTY (45) minutes after the conclusion of the Game for interview purposes. Violations of this policy may result in fines to the offending party.

It is actually 45 MINUTES after the game,like I said open door 10 after and let players go out,media can interview empty lockers or go to gym were players will be for next 45 minutes to give interviews.
    I find it hard to believe that players will go into the locker room, do their thing and be at the gym 10 mins after the ref blew the whistle. Particularly at home when alot of them do their rounds on the field.

So technically if Winter doesn't open the locker room doors 10 mins after the whistle blew then he is violating the rules.

Not that I care, I don't think the media should be in the locker rooms period. Wait until they get to the gym and if they want to avoid you then they have all the right to avoid you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@gareth_wheeler

Winter closed the lockerroom to Media last week. Commissioner Garber is "emphatically" opening it back up #TorontoFC #TFC #MLS
    https://twitter.com/#!/gareth_wheele...83588208861184

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those few days of relative peace and quiet after the victory over Portland sure were nice weren't they?

Sigh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny Wheeler has not tweeted since DeRo came out with the truth that contradicted his story. Some one is a little upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fan590 just reported that Garber has in fact overruled Winter's proclamation. I just hope Winter can accept that MLS regulations differ from European Leagues and get on with it.

RPB Member
    Membership Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Globe & Mail is now reporting that the MLS has demanded that Winter opens the locker room to media.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1973331/
    Official Member of the Montreal Miracle Crew 2009

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder how Winter will react to this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Garber addressed the team before going puplic? And if the team refuses to comply if there is a precedant for fines if the team does not comply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole story is ridiculous. This was going to happen sooner or later.
    I'm guessing someone other than Winter typed up that letter after he requested the lockout. He is not to blame here. Shouldnt someone at MLSE have advised him not to do this? Is anyone in that organization competent FFS???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I wonder how Winter will react to this?
    For the sake of the club, he better accept it and move on. Now is not the time to get into a power struggle with the MLS commissioner and create even more negative press.

Although I agreed with Winter's stance in principle, he must respect Garber's decision.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    For the sake of the club, he better accept it and move on. Now is not the time to get into a power struggle with the MLS commisioner and create even more negative press.

Although I agreed with Winter's stance in principle, he must respect Garber's decision.
    I hope so.

Though I think it would be more of a power struggle with the media than with Don Garber himself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose he may ask about the "Rules are rules" bit. Ya now, in reference to allocation dollars, special arrangements, etc..... It would also be interesting if players that were denied upgrades to DP contracts by the league this year, get it in future years (if that was in fact the case -- Winter will know).

Also, I guess the rule says, the locker room has to be open. What if all practices are closed from now on? (Not covered by the rules.) What if the locker room is open, but it's pretty empty, and nobody is saying much?

I have no idea where this will go. Too bad this couldn't be resolved more amicably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got Garber's height? could be little man syndrome similar to Bettmen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De Vos on his thoughts, as a former player, on media in the dressing room.

jasondevos

@Lord_Bob I agree with Winter. Dressing room should be a sanctuary for players and coaches.
    jasondevos

@Lord_Bob As long as good access is given to media (which it is in North America) I don't see the problem with it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But wasn't deVos complaining about it earlier?

Though he does have a good point, which is what I saying earlier.

jasondevos

MLS is growing the interest in the sport, and players and coaches must be accessible. Why not have an adjacent media room for all players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Mr. Garber, in case you haven't noticed, very few people in Toronto media have anything positive to say about TFC or the club, even if we earn points in a match.

So lets continue to let us grow through negativity and pot shots about how irrelevant soccer is in this country. Who played in the MLS final again? Nobody seems to know on TV, but lets let them keep doing what they're doing.

Now where were we, oh right, back to whining about trading DeRo and the death of the 2011 TFC season because we only drew Chivas.

/dramatic

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a guy does not want to be available for interviews after the game, he simply can hide out in the training room, head out a back door or whatever else may come to mind to avoid having to talk.

Well if a player really wanted to, he could just talk in circles and then the interview would be useless anyways.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 04-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media in this city has such a sense of entitlement it's revolting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was dumb and smug for Winter to do what he did, without discussing it with the league.

Winter standing over Cann, while Adrian read an apology like a POW for the cameras, you think every other team in the league didn't make a tape of that, just to show potential signings who are considering Toronto how much fun they can look forward to at TFC?

We live in the messy world we live in. Good players have to want to come here. Winter's act will bite us in the ass one day soon.

I'm dying to see Winter succeed. I really am. But he has got to throttle back this tough guy stuff. There's a general consensus that he was tough but fair with Dero. So enough. He doesn't need to keep it up with this other stuff.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno, i can see what youre saying but so far hes been tough but fair, i guess ill wait and see, apparently the don put down hisfoot but as long as winter follows the 10/15 min (whichever number it is), hes got no leg to stand on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It was dumb and smug for Winter to do what he did, without discussing it with the league.

Winter standing over Cann, while Adrian read an apology like a POW for the cameras, you think every other team in the league didn't make a tape of that, just to show potential signings who are considering Toronto how much fun they can look forward to at TFC?

We live in the messy world we live in. Good players have to want to come here. Winter's act will bite us in the ass one day soon.

I'm dying to see Winter succeed. I really am. But he has got to throttle back this tough guy stuff. There's a general consensus that he was tough but fair with Dero. So enough. He doesn't need to keep it up with this other stuff.
    Do you think he discussed it with Mariner or anyone else at TFC who has some experience with the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much fun players can have after they walk out on the team?
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Do you think he discussed it with Mariner or anyone else at TFC who has some experience with the league?
    I'm reasonably certain that he would have had to have...I can't imagine that a coach made that decision, typed up and released a press release all on his own doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    How much fun players can have after they walk out on the team?
    A man who makes a mistake should be treated like a man, not a child.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that he would have had to have...I can't imagine that a coach made that decision, typed up and released a press release all on his own doing.
    OMG it's Dero-to-Celtic-gate all over again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Act like a man, you will be treated like a man. Act like a child, you will be treated like a child.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid