Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a bit of an unspoken issue here that is bigger than the one that we are discussing on the surface.

Most teams now recognize that "content" has value. And in establishing their own TV Stations (GolTV, LeafsTV, RaptorsTV as an example), if they control the content they control the message AND the revenue.

Breaking stories on team owned networks, exclusive "access" to players before anyone else, expanded pre and post game coverage, etc. If you aren't working for the team, you may be on the outside of the big scoop and in this era of "speed to press" this is a big deal.

It's not unusual in sports. Yankees have YES network, even the Rogers' owned Blue Jays probably favour Rogers' Sportsnet in some way, shape, or form.

In some ways it is expected. In others it is a little dangerous as you could end up with FOXNews when it comes to spin.

I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Nope, I don't have any issues with the club at all. And I quite like Aron, both as a coach and a person.

I just think what they are doing with the locker room, in conjunction with other recent events, is wrong.
    my mistake then, to me thats how your tweets and article from the last couple of days came across.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I respect you feel that way about the closing of practices, so long as you then don't complain about there being a lack of stories on TFC to read in the media on that day - hard for me to write about the team in a comprehensive way if I can't talk to players or the coach at practice.

John
    John

I like you and always enjoy reading your work. This will make your job harder to do and I can appreciate that and why you are upset about it. At the end of the day Mr. Winter is responsible to maintain what he thinks is best for the club.

At work when my job gets harder I can't petition anyone to change the rules for me. I have 2 choices:
    1. Just suck it up and do what I get paid to do.
    2. Quit and find something new to pay the bills.

We all love reading about TFC and love to know whats happening on and off the field but personally if I have to sacrifice that for a winning club I think you know what my answer (and everyone else on this board for that fact) will be. Mr. Winter has made it clear that players will still live up to media obligations so as long as they do you will probably be just fine. If they don't then its time to be upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it completely baffling how many people are in agreement with this.

I guess they like the hard hitting coverage delivered on torontofc.ca or goltv?

Alot of assumptions from people who don't have a clue. Listen to the show on 590 - Blair makes strong points and also with regards to the club 'making players available' he said "been there done that - it does not work".

I've already heard about what's going on in the gym and while the players are in there, they are not 100% accessible as several approaches to talk with players have been reneged because they are stretching and need to focus on that, or are swarmed on their bike and eventually are just done with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    my mistake then, to me thats how your tweets and article from the last couple of days came across.
    Well, the team in my view has looked pretty poor to start the season.

Once they turn things around, I can write more positive articles about the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post

Alot of assumptions from people who don't have a clue. Listen to the show on 590 - Blair makes strong points and also with regards to the club 'making players available' he said "been there done that - it does not work".

I've already heard about what's going on in the gym and while the players are in there, they are not 100% accessible as several approaches to talk with players have been reneged because they are stretching and need to focus on that, or are swarmed on their bike and eventually are just done with it.
    How would you feel if you were just running your ass off on the field and all you want to do is shower and get changed but you get bombarded with questions before you can do that. Give the boys a chance to rest and give a more intelligent answer to the questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I respect your view.

The only reason why I am posting here is so that I can explain myself so you know where I am coming from.
    I appreciate that it's your job and that it makes it tough for you and your peers though and I'm definitely not saying I'm against you guys doing what you have to do. I just know what people here really care about and most would take 3 pts on any given Saturday over a whole lotta interviews in the locker room.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's a reason guys are on the bike and stretching after the game. It's not to avoid the media.

That's why you see a lot of post game interviews these days done in gyms. That's what the joke was with the Ottawa Senators for years. But there's a reason why guys are on bikes post-game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We as fans do have a vested interest in getting as much press access to the team as possible. We also have a vested interest in seeing the off-the-pitch drama subside. I see this as a reasonable adjustment to shift the interviews to a mixed zone outside the locker room. If it is being done to prevent the media from getting access to players, then I wouldn't be ok with it. Let's see how it works for a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    John

I like you and always enjoy reading your work. This will make your job harder to do and I can appreciate that and why you are upset about it. At the end of the day Mr. Winter is responsible to maintain what he thinks is best for the club.

At work when my job gets harder I can't petition anyone to change the rules for me. I have 2 choices:
    1. Just suck it up and do what I get paid to do.
    2. Quit and find something new to pay the bills.

We all love reading about TFC and love to know whats happening on and off the field but personally if I have to sacrifice that for a winning club I think you know what my answer (and everyone else on this board for that fact) will be. Mr. Winter has made it clear that players will still live up to media obligations so as long as they do you will probably be just fine. If they don't then its time to be upset.
    Fair enough. I respect where you are coming from.

As I said on the Jeff Blair show, don't waste a single ounce of sympathy on me over this. I get paid to write about a sport I am deeply passionate about, so save your sympathy for someone who is truly deserving.

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone here the wrong way and that you'll continue to read me.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    If he starts pulling the Sir Alex stuff, fine you have a point, but I don't think we are anywhere close to that extreme.
    "Sir Alex" stuff is usually manipulating the media for the good of the team. He is very calculated on how he does this and what results he will get, and is a master of this. It may not make him popular, but it is very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How dare a player try to do stretches in peace or try to change his clothes in the privacy of his teammates as opposed to strangers asking him questions. I'm guessing if the media petitioned the MLS to sleep in the player's bedroom you'd be all for that as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I have no issue with Winter's stance, in fact, I encourage it. Provided of course that the mainstream media is given the same access (in a gym or whatever) to the same sources that team-owned outlets enjoy.
    Do you really think that will be the case though?

The other thing I'm finding strange in terms of the reaction here is, don't people think this just their way of controlling the news (or at least drastically limiting) coming out of the club? I mean this forum goes ape-shit crazy for any type of rumour or breaking story - well you can pretty much kiss that goodbye.

If JDG has another crap season, will everyone be satisfied with the TFC TV interviews? Or do you want someone to put him on the spot and ask him hard questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was a player I'd prefer to have that privacy so that I could cool down after a loss, or let loose after a win with my teammates and coaches.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter talks to the team before coming to talk to the press, so he is allowed to give them the blowdryer treatment in privacy if he wants. After he talks to the press, then we talk to players.

As for why I have little faith in his words, read my earlier posts about Winter closing Thursday practices to the media (they were always open before) and for what they did last Friday with the closing of practice.

I just see a trend developing here, and it worries me.

John
    No, they aren't.

But again, they always were in the past. And the fact they are closed now, coupled with the locker-room/gym issue and what happened last Friday, is leading to a dangerous trend, IMO.
    Nope, I don't have any issues with the club at all. And I quite like Aron, both as a coach and a person.

I just think what they are doing with the locker room, in conjunction with other recent events, is wrong.
    John with due respect to the fact that CBC was one of few members of the media that did attempt to cover TFC reasonably well. None of what you say whether it's the worry, the dangerous trend or the simple fact that Winter's decision is just wrong has anything to do with putting a quality side on the field. Why you think supporters will favor the type of journalism that will potentially escalate issues by being in someone's face before they have the chance to collect their thoughts escapes me.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I respect where you are coming from.

As I said on the Jeff Blair show, don't waste a single ounce of sympathy on me over this. I get paid to write about a sport I am deeply passionate about, so save your sympathy for someone who is truly deserving.

Hope I haven't rubbed anyone here the wrong way and that you'll continue to read me.

John
    I think there is a very important point brought up by some, and that is getting an objective view on the team and its players and any issues that arise.

I also get that the club wants to mitigate the amount of damage that may be endured in the short term.

I feel bad for the deadlines you are under John but I also have confidence that if there is a story there, it seems like you will be able to uncover it. That is the biggest issue because from what I see if we don't at least question this, the club may start to shut down access alltogether and only give pre-packeged tidbits to everyone.

It is tough for anybody to be under the MLSE banner in terms of ownership in this town, that goes for the players, front office and reporters.

All that being said, I dont have a problem with removing the locker room access as other have said, they still need to be available post game at some point.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the team in my view has looked pretty poor to start the season.

Once they turn things around, I can write more positive articles about the team.
    really? considering were pretty much doing the whole rebuild thing and implementing an entire new look at things not only in terms of play, but how everthing is done from top to bottom, i think it could have been a hell of a lot worse. guess its a glass half full/half empty depending on the person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    I feel bad for the deadlines you are under John but I also have confidence that if there is a story there, it seems like you will be able to uncover it. That is the biggest issue because from what I see if we don't at least question this, the club may start to shut down access alltogether and only give pre-packeged tidbits to everyone.
    Exactly. Which is part of the reason why I am raising a bit of a fuss over this.

Again, I respect all those who disagree with me on this. And I hope you continue to read me.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John, no worries.

A good reporter will still be able to get the real story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it. But just unilaterally declaring that you won't follow them is not right.

And do we really want English style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?

fyp, that sort of rubbish is found predominantly in the UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, you've had better coverage of the team than a lot of the media. Don't worry about your following here - it is secure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And do we really want European style reporting where 10% of the media produces excellent articles and the other 90% is tabloidish speculation on injury status, contract status, etc?
    That's well said - b/c it was Winter in the past few days that kept saying "nobody is bigger than the club" now he is trying the same type attitude he dislikes in players himself with the league...

I wonder if he/TFC tried talking to the league about it...???

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I don't think that reporters should be in the locker room. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't be in place anyway - good on Winter to show some respect to the players and give them a bit of piece to shower and decompress after the match without some reporter shoving a mic in their face.
    yarly. last thing I'd want to do in a locker room is answering questions with a towel wrapped around my waist. too much intrusion of privacy IMO
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess i can only ask this question to John,

After yesterdays game did you feel there was anything wrong with your access to the players. Did you not get the quotes you wanted - did any players leave.

By the looks of it Winter has mandated a cool down session in the gym after every game. and if every player has to be there then its just as good as the locker room.

------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is not bigger than MLS. Either TFC petitions the league to change the rules, or they follow them and grumble about it.
    MLS doesn't even follow their own rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I'm guessing if the media petitioned the MLS to sleep in the player's bedroom you'd be all for that as well.
    Oh wow you got me. check mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcolacci View Post
    I guess i can only ask this question to John,

After yesterdays game did you feel there was anything wrong with your access to the players. Did you not get the quotes you wanted - did any players leave.

By the looks of it Winter has mandated a cool down session in the gym after every game. and if every player has to be there then its just as good as the locker room.

------
    Everyone was there so it went fine.

But I worry when/if someone doesn't show up in the future because they are trying to dodges us.

Before when that happened, we could at least wait for them by their locker (as I did with Dero after the cheque signing thing).

Under this arrangement, if someone tries to avoid us, I have no recourse other than to complain to the team.

JM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Toronto media didn't tend to be so "glass half empty", or so I believe them to be, I wonder if this would still be happening.