Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
Results 1,831 to 1,839 of 1839
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    I really dont see how its possible to defend DeRo with the revelations that have come out since the trade. He lied about not demanding a trade, he's not getting the money that he wanted (wasn't it the reason for the trade?), he could've made more money right now if he had signed Mariner's contract extension (33% raise to $600K I read somewhere). He wanted Preki gone and a new coach / management team, which he got. Klinsmann reached out to DeRo specifically for his opinion on how to move the club forward.

MoJo, Cochrane, even Jimmy B; they're all guilty in this mess. But FFS, at what point does DeRo hold some accountability for his actions?

The reason I'm personally disappointed by all this is because Dwayne De Rosario was coming back home. A man who's done everything there was to do in North American soccer, he's accomplished. He was coming back to help his hometown club strive to greatness. He was better than Dichio by leaps and bounds. Had he been a legend to our club like Dichio had been, we would've honoured him accordingly. He would've been a legend we would've told our kids about, this magical guy named DeRo who was Canadian and simply the best. But instead, he chose a different path. He chose to make money his top priority, over his legacy, over the club. Hell, even over the fans (hard to say he cares about the fans when he demanded a trade).

The story of Dwayne De Rosario for TFC fans was abruptly cut short. From one of honour, accomplishment and loyalty to betrayal, greed and lies. What could've been if DeRo had resolved these issues quietly and not publicly tried to sign his own cheque? What could've been if the public were kept unaware of his contract disputes? What could've been if he had accepted the contract extension, mentored the young guns like Robbo helped Cronin, worked with the club to make it the best club in the MLS.

Toronto FC has always been the laughing stock of the league. We still are. Nobody likes us, we don't care. But, DeRo could've changed all that. That's where this story should've went. DeRo could've been an ambassador on the field and off, years after he hung up his boots. Instead, he'll be forgotten by most and some will never welcome him home again.

Five days after the trade, Dwayne. You are officially dead to me.
    While I agree with some of your points, especially regarding the manner in which DeRo handled his contract situation publicly, the culmination of off field issues ultimately resulted in DeRo's unwillingness to forgive the organization as a whole for what he percieved as mistreatment over the last two years.

As more information has become available, we have learned that it is very likely that MoJo offered DeRo a contract under false pretenses, which was gullible on DeRo's part, but an indictment of previous management nonetheless.

We have also learned that Earl Cochrane wasn't forthright with the media during the Celtic debacle, which further tarnished DeRo's image and strained his already tenuous relationship with the club.

I personally would have loved to see DeRo forgive and forget, give Winter and Mariner a chance to instill some credibility and integrity within the organization, and remain with the club.

It's easier said than done though...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Yes. You are correct. MLS suggested TFC look Mo's way.
    I remember Garber harping about Moe and his experiance. Man I'm getting pissed thinking back!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    We have also learned that Earl Cochrane wasn't forthright with the media during the Celtic debacle...
    Do we really know this, for a fact?

DeRo has said that Earl gave him permission. Earl said they would be open to it but that the DeRo camp would need to come to him to finalize.

He says he has paperwork.

TFC says he doesn't.

Celtic stopped the trial for some reason but if there was a binding legal document, they wouldn't have had to do that.

And we haven't seen the paperwork produced from the DeRo camp which would clear up his "tarnished reputation."

I think we are still in a he said, she said scenario.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad the FO never backed down and gave him what he wanted. It would have, as previously mentioned, set the wrong example for other players when you have a situation when your captain can publicly cry for more money, threaten boycotts, do on field protests, etc. and then get what he wants in the end. Next you'll have other players doing the same for money and then playing time, then who knows what. Total chaos and the team would crumble to shit. Plus if he was to get his $1.8mil then when/if we had a bite from an overseas DP, it would inevitably drive up the cost. No established European player would want to sign here for less than who, in all likelihood, they would consider an inferior MLS lifer.

And if it did happen, then all the Dero supporters and staunch defenders on here and elsewhere would be crying for the heads of the FO for giving in to Dero's greedy demands and handcuffing and subsequently ruining the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family as business partners is never a good deal. Mark might be a good guy, but he and his entourage were looking for a big pay day. He never finished high school, DeRo certainly didn't, and I don't think his other brother did either. Dwayne made a lot of money before showing up in Toronto, and I tell you that money is faaaar from being all spent. The money offered to him could have helped his bros, his dad, and his bro Paul's kids, helped in a really big way. Not that a proper agent might have made things better, and I'm not saying someone that hasn't graduated high school can't get the job done, but family as business partners is not a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    Yes. But the book also talks about perks that the team got because of Beckham, but never from Beckham himself.

ex. riding in a private jet nicer than some of their apartments and how Beckham never picked up the tab on dinner when the team went out together.

Its been a while tho since I read that book so my memory is a bit foggy.
    even ocho cinco picked up the dinner cheque

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    While I agree with some of your points, especially regarding the manner in which DeRo handled his contract situation publicly, the culmination of off field issues ultimately resulted in DeRo's unwillingness to forgive the organization as a whole for what he percieved as mistreatment over the last two years.

As more information has become available, we have learned that it is very likely that MoJo offered DeRo a contract under false pretenses, which was gullible on DeRo's part, but an indictment of previous management nonetheless.

We have also learned that Earl Cochrane wasn't forthright with the media during the Celtic debacle, which further tarnished DeRo's image and strained his already tenuous relationship with the club.

I personally would have loved to see DeRo forgive and forget, give Winter and Mariner a chance to instill some credibility and integrity within the organization, and remain with the club.

It's easier said than done though...
    Exactly.

Today we heard in the CBC article

"It was just an offer that more suited Toronto than myself, and it was one that I felt had some uncertainties," De Rosario said on a conference call Tuesday from New York. "I said, 'Enough's enough.' I didn't want to be a negative influence, I didn't want to be a bad guy in the locker-room. I would still play 100 per cent, but I just couldn't carry that weight on my shoulders and in my mind.
    "I just needed to get some clarity and just play, so it had to come down to one of us making a decision."

The Globe article stated something similar

“It was an offer that more suited Toronto than myself and it’s one that I felt that had some uncertainties in it and at that point I was very disappointed and was even looking at other options to help me stay there and every option that I brought forth was turned down so I kind of said enough’s enough,” he said. Having heard rumours that the club was trying to trade him during the preseason, he finally agreed to a move to New York last week.

If we look at the highlighted areas and take into account everything that we have heard from both sides of this we can decipher the truth from it all.

No one can question Dero's commitment. He did exactly as promised, both on and off the field. On the field, he scored goals, played for the crest, gave 100% come game day and mentored many of the younger players on the squad. He always appreciated acknowledged our support and when we couldn't get anywhere with the grass issue, he stuck his neck out and spoke up for us, WITH us. Off the field, he did an enormous amount of charitable work and was always available to fans for signings, conversations and whatnot. He lived up to, and likely exceeded, his promise to the club.

Did the club live up to the promises made to him? Quite clearly, they did not. Hell they haven't lived up to their promises to us but....

So then, Dero asks management to fulfill their promise to him MANY times, only to be served with reason after reason or excuse after excuse as to why they can't do it yet. So he keeps playing and they keep saying "keep waiting" until he could no longer bite his tongue. He does the Cheque signing gesture as clearly the situation has poisoned him so badly that he can no longer sit quietly. (Does anyone here know what it's like to work for people who consistently lie to you and don't fulfill promises? I certainly do, but that's beside the point.) So with each day his venom for management grows and he finally DEMANDS that they fulfill their end of the bargain. They offer him a new contract (not what was promised), the option to play out his old contract and also inform him that teams have been interested in him if he would consider that route. He makes it clear that he does not WANT to be traded, not did he ASK to be traded. He wanted the promise fulfilled. They tell him that this is all they've got to offer. After being presented with the offer, he realizes that management will not, and never intended to, fulfill their end of the agreement and also realizes that if he were to stay it would be a detriment, not only to him, but to the boys in the locker room and the fans, so he agrees to a trade.

Some people will say he asked to be traded as that's the choice he made. What they refuse to accept is that that choice was forced on him because of broken promises and lies. Some of you will say that his agent should have got it in writing and he shouldn't have signed the contract but, even in today's world many verbal agreements/promises are made(many of which are legally binding i might add) and I too would not have thought that an organization of this stature would be so shallow as to not keep their word. I am certain he did everything he could to get past his animosity for management before coming to this conclusion. He first and foremost, wanted to play for TFC, in Toronto, and for us. Of this I have NO DOUBT. When he realized he couldn't do so, he did the only thing he could do.

As for Winter/Mariner, I still don't see where anyone has specifically said they were the reason for this. And quite simply put, they are not. Both Winter and Mariner are on record as saying that they wished that Dero was with this club. In turn Dero has stated the same and has actually praised Winter in what he's trying to accomplish here, even after his departure. The only thing about Winter is he'll have to be more careful with his words. We here in North America, play on words and some of his statements could easily be twisted to serve alternative means.

I'm done with this thread. I will see if I can personally hunt down Dero in July while I'm at the TFC/NYRB game and thank him personally for what he's done for this team and us suppporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end as supporters we are always here. Players, coaches come and go. The badge doesn't change. In the end how it played out doesn't change anything we move forward. Regardless of your viewpoint it's not the first or last time the team will make a good/bad decision.

Now let's focus on support

(my 2 cents)

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK