Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sam Cronin "the foundation"

Why did we trade him away again?

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Sam Cronin is listed as a midfielder on the San Jose Earthquakes roster. But that’s just one possible job title. You could describe him as a traffic cop or a janitor.
    Maybe you should just give him a new nickname: The Foundation.
    After all, even with the success the Quakes have had in generating plentiful scoring chances from their new 4-3-3 formation, none of it would be possible without Cronin backstopping everything.
    “Sam’s a guy that he may not jump out at you every game, but he does everything well,” Quakes right back Chris Leitch told MLSsoccer.com. “I don’t think he has a weakness about him.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-now-anchor-sj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

worst trade in TFC history. Right up there with Todd Dunivant.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Preki we trust

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki was an asshole!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, his one goal since 09 and 1 assist since leaving Toronto is sorely missed.. Guy was a ghost half the time. Seriously, I think some people really overrate this guy. He was never anything special. Not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    yea, his one goal since 09 and 1 assist since leaving Toronto is sorely missed.. Guy was a ghost half the time. Seriously, I think some people really overrate this guy. He was never anything special. Not even close.
    Agreed. He has a reverence on this board that is a bit over-the-top. He's a solid MLS player, but replaceable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    Agreed. He has a reverence on this board that is a bit over-the-top. He's a solid MLS player, but replaceable.
    That's what people said about Todd Dunivant, and over 2 years later, we still haven't replaced him.

Mark Van Bommel only had 1 goal last year, and none this year, doesn't mean he's a ghost.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that the measure of a good player? Goals and assists?

I guess that means Jerffren Suarez had a better year last year than Andres Iniesta. Way to be.

Also, his replacement is Nate Sturgis at this point... who would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess I'm one of the few who aren't convinced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    That's what people said about Todd Dunivant, and over 2 years later, we still haven't replaced him.

Mark Van Bommel only had 1 goal last year, and none this year, doesn't mean he's a ghost.
    That's more a failure of management than anything else. He's a solid player like I said, but even star players are replaceable in this game (assuming you have proper management of course), and he certainly wasn't a star player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBS View Post
    That's more a failure of management than anything else. He's a solid player like I said, but even star players are replaceable in this game (assuming you have proper management of course), and he certainly wasn't a star player.
    I have to agree - I liked him but I don't remember him doing that much. Preki was an idiot for trading him though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LesH View Post
    Preki was an asshole!
    Agreed and glad Preki is gone. Yes I liked Sam Cronin as well. Move on!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good not great player. Our short history is full of them.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin wasn't that great a ballwinner.

But he is a classic CM - something Preki didn't need with JDG around. Which I understand, but then Preki valued Cronin less than Nane Joseph and Saric, which I do not understand, and which is not going to help Preki get his next job.

It's painful to think that we gave Cronin away. I think of it every time I watch the Galaxy and see Gonzalez.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-01-2011 at 06:24 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki did bring us Santos though and I would rather have him, different position obviously. Every manager makes dubious decisions at some point.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin, Dunivant, & Buddle as well...

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares about Cronin... all these what ifs and what could have been... give it up.. he's gone... MOVE ON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin would easily be a starter for us...according to Robbo and Dichio he would have been the future Captain as he was great in the dressing room...that's the MAIN REASON Preki got rid of him, Preki didn't like having strong personalities on his teams...agreed it was the worst trade in TFC history....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cronin and dunivent sure, they werent anything special but we'd be good to have them now, buddle, ecccch, that dude did little while he was here and i still dont rate him regardless of his season last year and the fact hes playing in a failing Bundesliga 2 team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam's days @ TFC were #d with signing of JDG. He never played his natural position for TFC, rather put on wing.
    Sam will do well in San Jose, wish him the best.
    Cronin for allocation $, which brought TFC Mista, is right up there as bone headed trades.I'm afraid it will only get worse as Sam's career develops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think that we went south last summer right after Pricki shipped Cronin out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always laugh when someone says "____ is easily replaceable"

sure some clubs can replace a good player with another good player, but that's not how it's worked around here (at least under Mo)
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei doesn't have any goals with the team right now. I guess he sucks too.

Obviously the EarthQuakes realize the type of player he is and what he brings to the table. So people around here though don't understand a thing except goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=Pachuco;1261644]Frei doesn't have any goals with the team right now. I guess he sucks too. quote]

^

cronin was alright, nothing special. doesnt stack up to most of our current mid's though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that one more goal and assist than JDG?? They are playing the same position.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Good not great player. Our short history is full of them.
    agreed
    sam was another of mo's draft prospects who goes to another team and succeeds

but forget about it tommorow is game day boys and girls and 3 points are up for the taking
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin may have been overrated during his tenure with TFC but it doesn't change the fact that he would still rank as one of the better starting midfielders on our current roster.

I will never forgive Preki for virtually giving away Cronin and Wynne for nothing. Wouldn't they both look good on our current roster and fill two areas of need?

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Cronin may have been overrated during his tenure with TFC but it doesn't change the fact that he would still rank as one of the better starting midfielders on our current roster.

I will never forgive Preki for virtually giving away Cronin and Wynne for nothing. Wouldn't they both look good on our current roster and fill two areas of need?
    i'm sure he's all broken up inside from this statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    i'm sure he's all broken up inside from this statement.
    Good one.

It's just an expression.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-01-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=FreekAce;1261673]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Frei doesn't have any goals with the team right now. I guess he sucks too. quote]

^

cronin was alright, nothing special. doesnt stack up to most of our current mid's though.
    The point is, if you are goin to judge Cronin, how many goals he's scored is hardly what you should be looking at. If that was the case you could say Cronin is better then JDG since he's scored more goals.

As for him not stacking up to our current mids, well, only JDG and Sturgis basically do what Cronin does. Sturgis hasn't been very good so far although I think he's capable of more and JDG, well, if I was comparing their play last year, I would certainly have taken Cronin. We'll see what JDG does this year.