Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New defender coming this week?

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/con...atid=2&id=2908

@ 6:10 Winter mentions a new player coming in to allow Henry to go back down. Any names floating around out there in the rumor mill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cristain Gomzes from Chile, he's been training with the team for a while.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Interesting.. https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...A1n_G%C3%B3mez

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fellow RPB Klinnsman and I had a good conversation with Cristian today outside BMO. It would be great to see rewarded with contract. He has been with the Reds on trial for the last two weeks. His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. Everyday he takes a bus to Warden station. Takes the subway to Dufferin and then the bus down Dufferin into the CNE Grounds.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a shlep. His CV a little different than most of the players they've brought in this offseason, I wonder if it was him that Winter was referring to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Fellow RPB Klinnsman and I had a good conversation with Cristian today outside BMO. It would be great to see rewarded with contract. He has been with the Reds on trial for the last two weeks. His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. Everyday he takes a bus to Warden station. Takes the subway to Dufferin and then the bus down Dufferin into the CNE Grounds.
    Can he play right or left back?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a shlep. His CV a little different than most of the players they've brought in this offseason, I wonder if it was him that Winter was referring to?
    Yes, he is not the typical type of player Winter and company having been bringing in for trial when you consider his age (33) and playing background as he has played his entire pro career with several clubs in his native Chili.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should take the GO train

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a commute to work. He is fighting for a spot on the team, I see nothing special in that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one is coming?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Lombardo rode his bike to BMO or took the bus. The important issue is whether the guy can play, not how he gets to the practice field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post

This is definitely him, he mentioned he played for Colo Colo in the past when we were talking about some of the south american clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, anyone with a half decent pedigree would be an upgrade over Gargan at RB. Gargan has lost possession numerous times in the first two games leading to several scoring chances for the opposition.

An experienced South American defender like Gomez would likely have the technical skill, pace, and distribution to be a much better fit as a defender in Winter's system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we are 100% sure that its one of the guys who are/have trialed with us? Gomez or Hunter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His dedication to the game is quite something when you consider this. He is currently staying at his brothers in Scarbrough. .
    I think you guys were misinterpreting what C Blake meant, it wasn't the traveling that was to commended, it was having to live in Scarbrough. DeRo has already commented on what that is like to the Scottish newspapers, nuff said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    I think you guys were misinterpreting what C Blake meant, it wasn't the traveling that was to commended, it was having to live in Scarbrough. DeRo has already commented on what that is like to the Scottish newspapers, nuff said.
    ^That's the shit, right there!

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    At this point, anyone with a half decent pedigree would be an upgrade over Gargan at RB. Gargan has lost possession numerous times in the first two games leading to several scoring chances for the opposition.
    I love Gargan, but Winter's system magnifies Gargan's "skill limitations". He's just awful. He may have had one good touch the entire game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    So we are 100% sure that its one of the guys who are/have trialed with us? Gomez or Hunter.
    Its really just speculation at this point, but one of them could be it since they are a known player to the Winter and company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he seems a little old

when you say send Henry down...is that to the academy? reserves? or is Winter going to let him go to U-20's...I can see why Morgan needs to stay now (since Yourassowsky got suspended)

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive remember seeing him play when on Colo Colo... does his job and is ur average back.

He wasnt good enough to keep a spot on Colo Colo anyways... in those days they had a sick back 4 and he only saw action due to injuries which is why he only played 8 games, not 10 as in the wiki page.

Might be a really decent player here.. we will see.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more depth we get early in the season the better we can weather the storm through the brutal summer schedule... which always fucks us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Gomzes is the guy he was referring to, I think his age speaks to Winter's desperation for defenders. Ideally he'd get someone younger but fuck right now we need people who can play his system. Clearly Gargan and Harden should not be on the first team.

Any idea if this guy is a fullback and if so what side he plays on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post

I love Gargan, but Winter's system magnifies Gargan's "skill limitations". He's just awful. He may have had one good touch the entire game.

Was at the game and noticed Gargan was having a bad day... It wasn't til I got home and watched it on the PVR that I realized how bad... I noticed a few times where he gave it away right infront of Winter and De Clerk and they both jumped to their feet yelling at him... Guarentee he won't start next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we've seen, Preki's system made guys like Gargan look a lot better than they really are. I liked Gargan last year but in this system he makes me very nervous. Great guy tho.

Friends of Gargan were sitting near me yesterday. Feels bad cussing him out with his buds nearby, so I tried to hold it in. hahah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly think that Winter played the back four in Vancouver the way he did on purpose as a bit of a wake up call to the guys in the organization above him who might think that our backilne is decent and who probably point to last year as proof.

In this system the weak links are glaringly exposed.

Winter doesn't strike me as someone who would make an obviously erroneous call like that without fixing it at the half. This only means then that he was doing it on purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda wondered if it was a statement to Cann (putting him at left back in Vancouver). Perhaps Harden and Nana worked their butts off in training while Cann left the team, so Winter didn't put him back in the CB position automatically. Who knows. But i've seen coaches do that before. They still want to have the player in the lineup, since he's good, but they don't want the player to think he can just waltz into his normal position when others are working hard. Debatable strategy tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I honestly think that Winter played the back four in Vancouver the way he did on purpose as a bit of a wake up call to the guys in the organization above him who might think that our backilne is decent and who probably point to last year as proof.

In this system the weak links are glaringly exposed.

Winter doesn't strike me as someone who would make an obviously erroneous call like that without fixing it at the half. This only means then that he was doing it on purpose.
    Dropping three valuable points willingly is the sign of an idiot not a master tactician. Still if it means TFC go out and sign another two quality DP's then I guess Winter would have proved his point if indeed this was his intention. I think any thoughts of a second or third DP at this point is crazy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Dropping three valuable points willingly is the sign of an idiot not a master tactician. Still if it means TFC go out and sign another two quality DP's then I guess Winter would have proved his point if indeed this was his intention. I think any thoughts of a second or third DP at this point is crazy though.
    I agree with your sentiments, but if he loses three points, gets his point across to his boss, and as a result gets what he wants... ie. One or two new guys at the back, then I think its worth it.

More points for the team in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doneil Henry has rejoined the Canadian U-20s (presumably Attakora's leg injury has improved). Ashtone Morgan has not and will not as he's needed at LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nik Ledgerwood may have emerged as the number one option at right back after yesterday's confident performance.

Nik Ledgerwood – 7
    Was solid throughout and showed little fear of going forward.
    http://www.rednationonline.ca/Hutchi...forCanada.aspx

Nik's Wiki page

I don't know much about Nik outside of what I just posted, but this guy sounds perfect for TFC. Aside from the fact that he'd be getting called up, any reason we wouldn't want this guy?

Could we get him if we wanted? His team (SV Wehen Wiesbaden) currently plays in the 3rd Liga and he's going into his final year on his contract. Don't know anything about 3rd Liga but I'm guessing it's not quite MLS level, anyone know anything about the quality of this league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, we're 1-and-1 against expansion teams. I think MLSE needs to do more than trialing journeymen defenders.

MLSE is killing this golden goose of a market. How many awards and accolades did MLSE get for getting TFC up and running, and have huge off-field success? Will they be credited with killing the golden goose as well? Because their on-field decisions will kill the off field success.

They need to act now, and act big. We've heard all of this patience drivel. We've been using the patience metaphor for four years. How about some impatience for a change, lets see where that takes us. Sign a superstar defender, now. End of story.

One super duper mega defender star, and this team totally changes its tune no? A monster on the back line, we need him. Sure Cann is great defender, but his ball skills, and speed let him down.

Personally I'd like a defender that no one in the league likes. A nasty mofu that kicks puppies in his spare time. We need that edgy kind of guy.
    Last edited by TorCanSoc; 03-30-2011 at 05:44 PM.