0 Thread(s)

Default Former NE Star Twellman tells TFC fans to be patient

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well no shit
    if anyone goes out and starts to complain this season, i'm pistol whipping you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start a whippin

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the obvious Twelleman. It's comfortable to say that from the perspective of someone who has not had to endure a shitshow for 5 seasons. We know we have to wait. What we will not accept is more delay due to incompetence or external factors other than a proper building of this team. If I hear of political infighting at TFC one more time, I will have a shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I feel better now that he's set the record straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman's comments sound about right.

Twellman sure knows patience.... with the concussions he's had to deal with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    If I hear of political infighting at TFC one more time, I will have a shit.
    only then?
    Im not a doctor but you know youre in danger of a dangerous build up, holding it like that right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This smells like the MLSE spin machine at work again.

How much do they pay per use of the words rebuilding and patience when referring to TFC?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    only then?
    Im not a doctor but you know youre in danger of a dangerous build up, holding it like that right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

start a whippin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys...

It's not like Taylor Twellman called me up at night and started to talk TFC. This article is basically leftover quotes from my interview for the profile on Mariner.

He's one of the best MLS strikers of all-time. He's a current analyst for the league. He might have some insight that you or I don't have. Or he could be spinning for ML$E. I'll let you decide which seems more plausible.

Also, panicking right now to win 2-3 more games will doom this club to mediocrity forever.
    Last edited by SweetOwnGoal; 03-24-2011 at 01:15 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mean mediocrity?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    you mean mediocrity?
    Yes. I sometimes make typos.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    Also, panicking right now to win 2-3 more games will doom this club to meritocracy forever.
    Oversimplification and exaggeration of people's reaction Duane. People don't want to win 2-3 games at the cost of rebuilding. We just don't want to be embarrassed like we were in Vancouver. Rebuilding isn't something that necessarily requires TFC to be the MLS bitch all year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im in the patient line, glad he speaking in favor, nice to have someone whos got nothing invested agree

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Didn't TFC thump FC Dallas 4-0 at BMO in the first season? LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know it was fathers day, cant remember what season it was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Oversimplification and exaggeration of people's reaction Duane. People don't want to win 2-3 games at the cost of rebuilding. We just don't want to be embarrassed like we were in Vancouver. Rebuilding isn't something that necessarily requires TFC to be the MLS bitch all year.
    The back-line was God-awful in Vancouver. That said, one goal was offside and Toronto did manage two road goals. Within the context of MLS it wasn't *that* bad. I think those of us in the stadium walked away a little more upbeat than those that watched on TV because you could see a bit of what they were trying to do.

If this team good? God, no. Is this team hopeless? No, I don't think so and one road loss in Vancouver isn't the end of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2007 was it not?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish more people would take my view about expectations for this team .. .

Score in every home game, win lose or draw.

results will come with stability, which we have never had. . ..
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Didn't TFC thump FC Dallas 4-0 at BMO in the first season? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    2007 was it not?
    Yeah it was the first season. Of all the games to give my tickets to Leo so he could take his family...
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    If this team good? God, no. Is this team hopeless? No, I don't think so and one road loss in Vancouver isn't the end of the world.
    And nobody said it was the end of the world, but after a pre-season where most everyone agrees was Winter's time to tinker and thus we could not use those results as an indication of this team's ability, to then go into the first real test of the season and fail so miserably deflates everyone, especially against an opposition we really wanted to beat for various reasons, not the least of which is that it's an expansion side.

It may not be hopeless, but a couple of good passes shouldn't be reason to have hope either. We need to see something tangible that gives us hope. Having a team essentially get knocked out of a game halfway through isn't something that generates hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im in the patient line, glad he speaking in favor, nice to have someone whos got nothing invested agree
    I don't think there is anything wrong with giving things some time. I thought Twellman and Mariner were friends?:

Taylor Twellman played under TFC's director of player development, Paul Mariner, for six full seasons when Mariner an assistant with the New England Revolution. He gives Mariner a lot of credit for helping him become the player that scored 101 goals in his MLS career.
    I certainly wouldn't characterize Twellman's comments as impartial. I found it a little bit odd for Twellman to go from this:

Twellman said that it’s “way too soon” to judge the work that Mariner and head coach Aron Winter have done
    to this:

Twellman said that the new management team should be given three years to prove what they can do.
    One game is indeed way too soon to pass judgment. Taking 3 years to form an opinion is entirely too long. I think that asking fans to wait for 3 years is naive.

“You see it all the time in MLS where teams go through this three-year cycle from missing the playoffs to winning a championship,” he said.
    This is more of the same old crap that gets TFC into trouble. Championship in the near-term??? Sounds awful close to a promise.
    Last edited by BayernTFC; 03-24-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that's progress. From a 5 year plan we are down to a new 3 year plan.

So how about this TFC? I will be patient for 3 years if you can guarantee me a championship in 3 years? Deal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say I was in Vancouver, which must have been a tough pill to swallow for those who did go. But I will repeat my perspective in almost every thread - the same as how negative comments have become the norm the past couple years - that we really shouldn't jump the gun this time.

We clearly don't have the players needed to play the type of football Winter's implemented, and we have to be patient. I would rather see the team take a few more weeks, even months to figure things out, then heap the pressure on like in years past, like Leafs fans. We've seen teams struggle all year and miraculously click towards the end of the season to secure a playoff spot. The season is about endurance, not blowing all our marbles like we've done every year of our existence.

That being said, I do expect them to have a right go anytime they play at home. But I cannot stand the 'Leafs' mentality that exists within the supporters these days. Let's do this right this time.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    Let's do this right this time.
    I agree.

I think people are just arguing whether it is being done right this time.

That's where the debate is. Some are saying yes and some are saying no.

We'll just have to see.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then there are some of us that admit that we don't know if it's being done right. Which is why I have to give them time.

What I don't have to do is excuse a poor showing. Once again I emphasize, rebuilding does not mean we have to be absolute shit.

As long as we don't wind up lower than Vancouver and Portland in the standings, I personally will find it acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I agree.

I think people are just arguing whether it is being done right this time.

That's where the debate is. Some are saying yes and some are saying no.

We'll just have to see.
    I think that touches upon an important issue as well - do good players want to play here? Certainly the damage was done in the past and there's no point in dwelling on it. Things take time, but I believe we can change the mentality of the fan base, which seems to lurk in every corner of the Toronto sport's arena like dark matter.

I honest to god am sick of "Leafs Nation" ruining everything good about Toronto sports. Enough is enough already..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    We clearly don't have the players needed to play the type of football Winter's implemented, and we have to be patient. I would rather see the team take a few more weeks, even months to figure things out, then heap the pressure on like in years past
    Please don't assume that everyone is asking to see a Championship side in short order. Is it not management's job to sort out personnel? Who is responsible for the fact that TFC is currently so thin at the back? Who does one question when Dan Gargan and Ty Harden seem to win favour in an attempt to apply a 4-3-3 system?

Ideally an organization wants to follow through with a plan to the end. However, management must prove competent for that to happen. Like it or not, football is a business. After one season, Louis van Gaal looks like a genius. After the next, he's out. Bring on Jupp Heynckes!
    Last edited by BayernTFC; 03-24-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya cant exactly say hes a mouth piece for the organization, he feels he owes alot to Mariner and believes that he can bring the same to TFC, once again, not a vested interest but an opinion