Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    haven't we all been saying that the 'waiting list' was a load of bull for years?
    Yes we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    overall though, aside from the defensive comedy, we weren't as bad as I intially thought.
    So you won't be leading the "Bring back Garcia" chant then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    4) Invest in a bloody roof or fix the schedule so that we dont have so many early season matches in 2012
    This has been an issue only this year. Previously we had more away matches in the first 2 months than home matches.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely, how many real madrid fans became part of "the waiting list" with no intent to do anything more than get advance tickets to the madrid game or practice.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    So you won't be leading the "Bring back Garcia" chant then
    no, not so much. how terrible would he have looked in this system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    However, I don't believe apathy will set in permanently in this market.
    Apathy may not but ML$E must be careful not to price themselves out of the market as far as the "cheap seats" are concerned. It appears that the waiting list is jammed with people who can or will only afford to spend so much and as the ticket prices rise the demand stalls.

It may just be a classic case of supply & demand but perception is a dangerous thing to let "get away". If the perception goes from "no tickets available" to "no affordable tickets available" the result is somewhat the same. Fewer people even considering attending can be a very bad sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant understand why anyone wouldnt want to pay $50+ dollars for a ticket to an early season game when the weather could be cold and rainy at a stadium with no roof, and a shit team.

What I would do to turn the ship around on falling attendance:

1) Buy a big name striker to help improve the marketability of the team both at BMO and on TV
    2) Revise ticket pricing (especially in the north end)
    3) Get the bulk of the games off GOL to expand brand awareness and loyalty (do this once the team has a big name striker)
    4) Invest in a bloody roof or fix the schedule so that we dont have so many early season matches in 2012
    5) Games on the half hour to appease to Go trainers so they show up on time and stay until the end of the match.

Easy!
    1) Buy a big name striker to help improve the marketability of the team both at BMO and on TV....easier said then done when most of the "big name crowd drawing" players that even consider coming to MLS have only NYRB and LAG in their crosshairs. The player would have to want to come here before we can sign him.
    2) Revise ticket pricing (especially in the north end)....one of the few things on this list that can be done
    3) Get the bulk of the games off GOL to expand brand awareness and loyalty (do this once the team has a big name striker)...that only hinges on wether other networks want to pick up those games.
    4) Invest in a bloody roof or fix the schedule so that we dont have so many early season matches in 2012....the schedule is made by MLS. we have no say in how she goes. As far as the roof goes....you know how that goes.
    5) Games on the half hour to appease to Go trainers so they show up on time and stay until the end of the match....this would again be a league descision as there is more then only TFC involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    1) Buy a big name striker to help improve the marketability of the team both at BMO and on TV....easier said then done when most of the "big name crowd drawing" players that even consider coming to MLS have only NYRB and LAG in their crosshairs. The player would have to want to come here before we can sign him.
    2) Revise ticket pricing (especially in the north end)....one of the few things on this list that can be done
    3) Get the bulk of the games off GOL to expand brand awareness and loyalty (do this once the team has a big name striker)...that only hinges on wether other networks want to pick up those games.
    4) Invest in a bloody roof or fix the schedule so that we dont have so many early season matches in 2012....the schedule is made by MLS. we have no say in how she goes. As far as the roof goes....you know how that goes.
    5) Games on the half hour to appease to Go trainers so they show up on time and stay until the end of the match....this would again be a league descision as there is more then only TFC involved.
    Totally agree with all of your points. Its everything I think that needs to change obviously some sooner than others.

With respect to the big name I think we could do a lot more in the scouting department and more importantly start waiving our wallet around. Its time for MLSE to get off their wallet and start building a global brand for TFC. Rough guess but I'm thinking we're probably the 4th biggest city in MLS surely there is someone big out there that would play for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allow standing in all parts of the stadium, get an atmosphere going and stop throwing people out in 104-108 that want to try and encourage chanting and support in their section. Casual fans see the supporter section in the ads, buy a ticket and are then told to sit down and don't bring flags or streamers etc. because they're in a different area.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The ticket article was written by Wheeler, as per the print edition.

I don't know why the byline got cut out in the online version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wull View Post
    Allow standing in all parts of the stadium, get an atmosphere going and stop throwing people out in 104-108 that want to try and encourage chanting and support in their section. Casual fans see the supporter section in the ads, buy a ticket and are then told to sit down and don't bring flags or streamers etc. because they're in a different area.
    Excellent Idea!

If we have an empty section declare it as a supporters section for the match and allow fans to relocate down to it to make some noise!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    We know for a fact that CBC was still interested in broadcasting games. And you have to figure Sportsnet would have been interested too considering their interest in previous seasons and the fact that they are showing Whitecap games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like that sunshine girl I'm pretty sure she works at the peelers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE owns GolTV. I think we can all figure out why the regional games are not on CBC or Sportsnet. I like the quality of the GolTV broadcasts but the Whitecaps will get far more exposure based on the current setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    We know for a fact that CBC was still interested in broadcasting games. And you have to figure Sportsnet would have been interested too considering their interest in previous seasons and the fact that they are showing Whitecap games.
    Interesting!

You'd think MLSE would make more ad money from their beloved LED advert board if home games were on the CBC or Sportsnet vs $75k/month (assuming Gol is $2.50 per subscriber with a base of 30,000 subscribers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GhostKiller View Post
    If you like that sunshine girl I'm pretty sure she works at the peelers.
    I thought the Sunshine girls were only posted here for comedic purposes? People actually like them?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    MLSE owns GolTV. I think we can all figure out why the regional games are not on CBC or Sportsnet. I like the quality of the GolTV broadcasts but the Whitecaps will get far more exposure based on the current setup.
    Totally see what the FO are trying to do but I dont see TFC as a high demand product right now. They're better off promoting the excitement to a wider audience much like what the Shitecaps are doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    The ticket article was written by Wheeler, as per the print edition.

I don't know why the byline got cut out in the online version.
    Yeah, for some reason when it's a column (with the logo/head shot),
    it sometimes shows up in the on-line version sans info on who wrote it.
    Last edited by GBV; 03-22-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant understand why anyone wouldnt want to pay $50+ dollars for a ticket to an early season game when the weather could be cold and rainy at a stadium with no roof, and a shit team.

What I would do to turn the ship around on falling attendance:

1) Buy a big name striker to help improve the marketability of the team both at BMO and on TV
    2) Revise ticket pricing (especially in the north end)
    3) Get the bulk of the games off GOL to expand brand awareness and loyalty (do this once the team has a big name striker)
    5) Games on the half hour to appease to Go trainers so they show up on time and stay until the end of the match.

Easy!
    two thumbs up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    This has been an issue only this year. Previously we had more away matches in the first 2 months than home matches.
    NO, we did not...(2009 and 2008)
    Last edited by markus; 03-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Opener Not A Sellout

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...not-a-sellout/

Reports emerged today that there large blocks of seats for TFC's home opener still available. Why this is not necessarily a bad thing for the club and its committed fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Home Opener Not A Sellout

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...not-a-sellout/

Reports emerged today that there large blocks of seats for TFC's home opener still available. Why this is not necessarily a bad thing for the club and its committed fans.
    I like your idea that it will put pressure on the front office to get results since the only thing they understand is money.

However, I think the biggest problem for the fans isn't the results - it's the ticket price. Most people saw TFC as a nice, cheap sporting event to attend and now after only 4 seasons it has become very expensive.

I am a die-hard fan and even I feel like I can't afford to go to every game.. so imagine what a casual fan must think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I like your idea that it will put pressure on the front office to get results since the only thing they understand is money.

This means there is something they could be doing but have chosen not to and only a lowering in ticket sales will get them to do it. It means that for the past four years while ticket sales were healthy they chose not to do things that would make the team better.

So, buying the tickets doesn't motivate the owners to do everything they can to make the team the best it can be but not buying the tickets will do that. This is truly a dysfunctional relationship between supporters and owner.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New scrum with Winter up on TFC's web site, as well as an interview with Alan Gordon, fyi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

** Random speculation **
    Won't be surprised if 'Metro' ends up with a buy $100 in groceries get a free TFC ticket deal this year. Lots of ways to paper this house.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    ** Random speculation **
    Won't be surprised if 'Metro' ends up with a buy $100 in groceries get a free TFC ticket deal this year. Lots of ways to paper this house.
    Or they end up on a site like Travelzoo at ridiculously low prices, but the club considers them sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    ** Random speculation **
    BREAKING NEWS: The Leafs have made the playoffs. If you want to buy Leafs playoffs tickets, you must buy an 8 pack for TFC Games (none premium games included).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ or Pokerstars will give them out. I think it was 2 years ago I would log onto Pokerstars and they would offer me free TFC tickets for a silly amount of frequent player points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll most likely go to the Home Opener, but I won't buy through waiting list offers or ticket master, as I can't choose where I want to sit.

If I go on game day go up to the window and ask what do you have I have more control, It's what I did last year.

Also it's damn near impossible to get off the waiting list, I tried last year for two months never received a response to my requests, questions, and could not find an option on my own. So the bigger question is how many are on the waiting list that don't want to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Apathy may not but ML$E must be careful not to price themselves out of the market as far as the "cheap seats" are concerned. It appears that the waiting list is jammed with people who can or will only afford to spend so much and as the ticket prices rise the demand stalls.

It may just be a classic case of supply & demand but perception is a dangerous thing to let "get away". If the perception goes from "no tickets available" to "no affordable tickets available" the result is somewhat the same. Fewer people even considering attending can be a very bad sign.
    Yeah, I remember in year 1 and 2 that a big part of the draw was a great day out, amazing fun atmosphere, AND only $20-$30 a ticket. Who wouldn't show up?

In my mind, TFC is a blue collar people drawing event. They cheer, drink beer, get rowdy and it all feeds into itself. Prices are WAY to high imo, and I bet there concession profits have steadily fallen to, theyre gouging the fans there as well.