Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's settle down...If Winter corrects his obvious mistake and gets Cann back in the middle, and plays a better LB (Yourassowsky) then we can better judge our back 4. Obviously Gargan didn't have a good game but the guys on the right in front of him were brutal. Boolsma just doesn't seem to be of ANY quality and I hope Winter isn't blinded just because he's Dutch...I expect a much better effort on Saturday.....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the first game, its one game, lets try not to throw ourselves out the window after TFC played 90 mins. . . .
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I missed the part where Winter had a full roster in the weeks leading up to the first game in order to gauze the "strength" of the players he has
    Actually Winter has had weeks with all the guys that have made up our roster. Let's not make more excuses for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    DeRo scored one, the other was Maicon.
    Oops!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Actually Winter has had weeks with all the guys that have made up our roster. Let's not make more excuses for him.
    How many of the guys on the roster that Winter inherited do you think will be starters by the end of this season? By the first game of his second year as coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    How many of the guys on the roster that Winter inherited do you think will be starters by the end of this season? By the first game of his second year as coach?
    Four - Frei, Nana, JDG, DeRo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 604 replies, and I did not go back and read them all, but is no one else pissed that in 4 years we win one season opener, in year one we waited how long to score at home? That we have had as many coaches as years the team has been in exsistance and the last 2 expansion teams have been in the playoffs and we havent, and the White Caps were showing us the business end as a USL team? Now we get in their opener? That the defence has been an issue since year one and continues to be an issue now?
    Finally that TOTAL football the way I saw it on Saturday is boring as hell, and we still only really got our couple of chances on through balls... which has nothing to do with the Possession game we are told will win?

Sigh! - IS toronto (as a sports city) cursed??? honestly.. Hockey Basketball and now Footy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob View Post
    Sigh! - IS toronto (as a sports city) cursed??? honestly.. Hockey Basketball and now Footy?
    yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob View Post
    There are 604 replies, and I did not go back and read them all, but is no one else pissed that in 4 years we win one season opener, in year one we waited how long to score at home? That we have had as many coaches as years the team has been in exsistance and the last 2 expansion teams have been in the playoffs and we havent, and the White Caps were showing us the business end as a USL team? Now we get in their opener? That the defence has been an issue since year one and continues to be an issue now?
    Finally that TOTAL football the way I saw it on Saturday is boring as hell, and we still only really got our couple of chances on through balls... which has nothing to do with the Possession game we are told will win?

LMAO, don't worry Bikerbob, you're in the majority...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Four - Frei, Nana, JDG, DeRo

But what does that say????? That every year past we have had a BEYOND incompetent management that we would be left with 4 players??

Seattle and now Whitecaps...

We have some of the best support, highest ticket prices and we cant get it right??

Winters did not have a lot of players under contract end of last season, and if you are here to win, and put a product on the pitch that people will support, maybe you should play a system that fits the players you have.. if you dont have the players that fits the system you want to play..

I want wins, not a philosophy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    His hand was forced, and that's all I'm gonna say.
    If this is true and means what I think it does - that in the first game of the season our head coach did not field the team he wanted because he was under some external pressure to field the back 4 he did - then we are screwed.

Teams don't succeed when people meddle with the manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol...whats with the Whitecaps drum section??...looked like they hired a bunch of those dumb people that were wearing white and dancing around during the olympics opening ceremony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Oh my. So much to comment on:

re: your overall reaction

The timeline goes like this:

- TFC sucks, Mo is fired, new management on board
    - New system? yipee!
    - Team loses 4-2
    - Fucking idiots, they should be playing the old system or a variation thereof, you know, the one that worked so well for us
    I think it's more of - we don't have players needed to play a 4-3-3 at this time. We knew that in pre-season, it's obvious after Vancouver. Why persist with it until we do? Play to the strengths and around the weakness you have.

There are plenty of other things this team needs to work on that can be done in other systems - fundamentals like pass the ball and move into space.

re: slowly integrating a new system

When exactly would the team have time to practice Winter's 4-3-3 and your "some magical elixir that incorporates the strength of the players we have" suggestion? After training sessions? On every odd numbered Monday in months that have 6 letters or less?
    Here's a novel idea - in the pre-season - next year. Everyone says this is a long term project - so why the need to drive ahead with the new style now. Why not next year, or the year after when we can actually build a team capable of playing this system.

At some point, you have to make a change and change is painful over the short term. No getting around it. We either do the same old same old or try to do it differently. There are no other options.
    I agree - but the question is whether or not now is correct time.

I don't think it is - I think the answer is play a simpler formation to cover up the weaknesses we have now while you work on fixing those weaknesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If this is true and means what I think it does - that in the first game of the season our head coach did not field the team he wanted because he was under some external pressure to field the back 4 he did - then we are screwed.

I cant read anything else from TFCRegina's post, which is why I said he should have kept mum if he wasnt willing to elaborate.

This may also be the reason that out of six coaches, not one of them has had prior head coaching experience of any merit.

Real coaches walk when this happens.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also: according to Soccer Italia, Stevanovic has informed his agent that the story of him coming to Toronto on loan is complete bullshit.

Onwards and upwards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    For now 1 poster got 7 days to cool off,hopefully it will stay on 1.
    For what? So he vented, he needed a release.
    And you rewarded him with a penalty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    How much time do you think he thinks he needs?

The supporters haven't written off the season because there's plenty of season left. This team has "tinkered" for the first quarter or half of every season it's been in the league and making the playoffs has come down to the last game. The truth is, this is MLS, it is possible to tinker for the first half of the season and still have a successful season.

And as for ticket sales, season tickets aren't sold in March or April or May. Sure there may be some empty seats at the beginning of the season but if the team puts a few wins together BMO will fill up.

In this type of league with little value put on the Supporter's Shield and the emphasis being on making the playoffs (whether we like it or not, that is the priority of ownership) the truth is not every game has equal value - losing a few early games doesn't put a team out of contention in this league.
    The supporters havent written off the season?
    What do you call
    "it takes more than a year to build a good side, we need to be patient?"

Seriously, I'm not enthusiastic about attending games if the attitude is that they dont matter because were 'rebuilding'

In a season of meaningless friendlies, what do you think the average attendance would be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    For what? So he vented, he needed a release.
    And you rewarded him with a penalty.
    Careful you dont get carded for dissent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brad and ER I agree with a lot of what you say..

I think players are tools a means to an end.. Management of any sports team is what makes the difference.

Pick your sport and I can show you the team that adapts and makes runs, playoffs, and succeeds DESPITE not have the best players on the field.

End of last year we waited.. nothing till almost December on the management and changes. SO who is to blame if we have little to work with now.

Toronto - as a city is an event town - TFC was a big event years 1 and 2 and in 3 and 4 we had hangers on - now.. its going to drop.. no success at all.. no hope will not bring fans in. ONCE it truly stops being THE PLACE to be .. it will not come back. Die hard footy fans yes.. 20k fans paying the prices they are charging.. NO

TFC NEEDS some success - Montreal next year.. should we start practicing the position now so it doesnt hurt so much next season?? WAKE UP MLSE/TFC management.. please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newest social phenomenum is the complaints choir.

Those of you who see the game as horrible, embarrassing, etc can join the Red Patch Boys Complaint Choir. First meeting before next Saturday's game.

I wont be there. Just my rant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Patch CA View Post
    Newest social phenomenum is the complaints choir.

Those of you who see the game as horrible, embarrassing, etc can join the Red Patch Boys Complaint Choir. First meeting before next Saturday's game.

I wont be there. Just my rant!
    What are you on about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post

Its a frustratingly cryptic comment from TFC Regina. Its not clear whether he alluding to politics in the locker room or managment interference or simply lack of personnel.

What LB options did Winter have for this game? Morgan and Yourassowsky:

• Was Yourassowsky ready to play the full 90mins? He wasn't around for the entire preseason.
    • As for Morgan, he's young and you could quesiton whether he is ready to step into a starting role. Perhaps Winter had a scouting report telling him to expect Chiumiento on the right for VWFC and he didn't like the idea of Morgan v Chiumientro matching up against him. I could understand if he thoought that the 18 year old rookie wasn't ready for that match-up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I cant read anything else from TFCRegina's post, which is why I said he should have kept mum if he wasnt willing to elaborate.

This may also be the reason that out of six coaches, not one of them has had prior head coaching experience of any merit.

Real coaches walk when this happens.
    I hope this isn't true. Because if it is we are in far deeper shit than I first expected.

Winter didn't exactly come to us with much bargaining power. He had been unemployed for a number of months. So it is entirely plausible that he is so happy to be working that he is willing to accept the type of bullshit that TFCRegina is alluding to.

But again if that is true that is not a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are an expansion club again. We are starting over. I new this comming into this season. As I said year in and year out, I think that the 10 games mark is were you can start judging the direction we are in. Now the first one was, I was going to say horrible, but realy it was just the same old, same old. now there are 9 more games to go, untill we will be realy able to tell what is going on.

I had said that USL teams had and advantage, because, they are not starting from scratch as many think, they have a system, they have the fundations to build on, we in year five still do not, and are only now starting to build our fundations. Better late then never, is all I can say.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We are an expansion club again. We are starting over. I new this comming into this season. As I said year in and year out, I think that the 10 games mark is were you can start judging the direction we are in. Now the first one was, I was going to say horrible, but realy it was just the same old, same old. now there are 9 more games to go, untill we will be realy able to tell what is going on.

I had said that USL teams had and advantage, because, they are not starting from scratch as many think, they have a system, they have the fundations to build on, we in year five still do not, and are only now starting to build our fundations. Better late then never, is all I can say.
    I don't mind that we're starting over and I don't mind that it will take time to get this team on a proper path. And at this point, I don't mind that we lost. It's HOW we lost. No fight. No intelligence. Stupid decisions. And a ridiculous scoreline against an expansion side.

What I DO mind is not being prepared. There is no excuse for that. Not having the enough personnel to mind our backline is ridiculous. And not putting them in their right positions is even worse. A 12 year old boy could have told Winter not to put Cann at LB but he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Careful you dont get carded for dissent
    No shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This idea that Winter doesn't have full control over who he puts in the lineup is extremely worrisome. I thought this BS would be over once Mo left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    This idea that Winter doesn't have full control over who he puts in the lineup is extremely worrisome. I thought this BS would be over once Mo left.
    But thats what it is. An idea.
    Pure speculation. I for one am not worried about that tangent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^Well, in each season past we've done well in April, into May, and so-so in June. After the fathers day weekend things go downhill. We've even been first place a couple times at the end of April. That would fall in your 10 game mark. If you judged by that each year, I'm assuming you've been wrong with your predictions each year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trane, werent you amongst the anti-Mo crowd who were concerned by his lack of track record, appalled by his first preseason (which may still rank as our best) and angered by his decision to employ 3-5-2 despite the fact that we didnt have the players who could adapt to it?

I defended Mo to the hilt back then, for much the same reasons that people are defending Winter now. I was proven terribly wrong wasnt I?

In this situation, what is different?