Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think an overly team-centric approach has lead some people to believe being dispossessed while trying to dribble a defender is an act of great shame. It definitely is not. No worse than the various passes made every game that don't find their intended targets.

It's a needed skill for wide players to be effective and one we've sorely lacked in the past. It just needs to be harnessed and used at the right time.

Let's not assume that because MLS generally lacks quality wide play that something with a little more panache can't be used effectively. As much as we all want to take a piss about MLS being physical, there are leagues where the play is MORE physical out there and the wingers still manage to take on defenders with a fair amount of audacity.
    Not at all what I was saying.

Wide players that run and dribble past defenders is exactly what we need. No argument there sir.

The first touch of the ball Stevanovic had he tried a ridiculous foot wobble over the ball thing that may work when the defender waits to see what you might do...over here in NA they just press you and kick you and take the ball.

Watch the Stevanovic's highlight reel on youtube. He is used to style in Italy that simply does not apply over here. There won't be alot of waiting around by defenders who back off and let you think. He will have to adjust to that or risk being a very frustrated player.

He'll be more effective when he adapts to this style. A style where he recognizes that the energetic and impatient defenders of this league commit quickly to him so he can go past them with some skill.
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 03-31-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ there are a few players that would seemingly do well in Winter's system. Pablo Vitti comes to mind.

I am really looking forward to what JDG can do. He's been saying all the right things in the papers leading you to think that his heart is really into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think an overly team-centric approach has lead some people to believe being dispossessed while trying to dribble a defender is an act of great shame. It definitely is not. No worse than the various passes made every game that don't find their intended targets.

It's a needed skill for wide players to be effective and one we've sorely lacked in the past. It just needs to be harnessed and used at the right time.
    I completely agree with the above. However Stevanovic chose the wrong option on a number of occasions and tried to dribble when he had better options for the pass.

Anyway, I place little stock in what I saw on Saturday either way. 45 minutes, while jet lagged, in a new team that you've never practiced in in a new league you've never played in isn't enough to make any judgements about the player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ there are a few players that would seemingly do well in Winter's system. Pablo Vitti comes to mind.

I am really looking forward to what JDG can do. He's been saying all the right things in the papers leading you to think that his heart is really into it.
    Vitti, and Dichio. Having the big man as our center forward in this system would have been fantastic.

Guevera would have been fantastic as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Anyway, I place little stock in what I saw on Saturday either way. 45 minutes, while jet lagged, in a new team that you've never practiced in in a new league you've never played in isn't enough to make any judgements about the player.
    yep, you and me both, dunno how people can make such sweeping judgements based on that alone

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that just maybe the kid was trying to impress in his first opportunity on the pitch and made a couple bad choices.

Let's give him a few weeks to get settled, have the coaching staff work with him, and get some MLS games under his belt before drawing conclusions. It would have been one hell of a whirlwind from finding out your loan has been signed, packing your gear, flying half way around the world to a new city & team, and within a day running out on the pitch. That would be hard for any athlete to perform well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether intentional or not, this comment implies that perhaps his heart wasn't really into it in the past. Whatever the reason for his past performanace for the club, I hope he can really make big an impact for us this year.

When I think of JDG I always think back to the 2007 Gold Cup. He was so f'ing awesome for Canada in that tournament... I remember watching the games just being blown away by how his play lifted that whole team.

I hope he can recapture that form with our club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post
    Whether intentional or not, this comment implies that perhaps his heart wasn't really into it in the past. Whatever the reason for his past performanace for the club, I hope he can really make big an impact for us this year.
    I don't think that it should be a surprise to anyone. He wanted to stay in Europe, he didn't want to come to TFC and he was pretty vocal about that. In the end, he didn't get any acceptable offers overseas and took the money MLSE offered.

Now you can make all the arguments you want about the pros or cons of that, but it doesn't change for a second that this was financial decision and not a footballing one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't think that it should be a surprise to anyone. He wanted to stay in Europe, he didn't want to come to TFC and he was pretty vocal about that. In the end, he didn't get any acceptable offers overseas and took the money MLSE offered.

Now you can make all the arguments you want about the pros or cons of that, but it doesn't change for a second that this was financial decision and not a footballing one.
    which wouldn't be different than every single player in the MLS if they were offered the $ and a spot in Europe on a top level team....gone in a flash...

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post
    Whether intentional or not, this comment implies that perhaps his heart wasn't really into it in the past.
    Oh, it was intentional and really shouldn't be a surprise. It isn't a knock as much as it appears to be the truth. He stated many times that his desire was to remain in Europe. He signed here only when he found himself blackballed off the continent. Clearly, he wasn't arriving with a positive mindset.

That said, I have been loving his quotes and interviews this offseason. They are positive, upbeat and have a sense of hunger and optimism about them. He can be a terrific player in this system and the good news, at least initially, is that he seems to want to be that contributing player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, it was intentional and really shouldn't be a surprise.
    Not a surprise. His comments in interviews last year suggested he was unhappy. I don't think we can claim to know the true source of his displeasure.

Hope he turns it around...