Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'm still befuddled by why people rate Maicon Santos so highly

His problem is consistency. But when he's on...he can smoke the opposition in this league. I guess we are hoping that Winter can motivate him to be on his game most of the season. I think he's got the skill. Whether his concentration can remain on point is the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know... I'm a little on the fence with Nkufo.
    I'm sure he'd bring goals with him, but... If you look at the signings so far, the current players, what Winter says during interviews and the overall team strategy, it doesn't seem to me he would fit into TFC's plan. I don't like the idea of signing a player for the sake of signing someone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maicon is one of the few positive remnants of the Preki era. The fact that TFC claimed him on waivers is a bonus. A change of scenery allowed him to flourish and enjoy more success in Toronto than with any other club throughout his career. He scored a few crackers in his limited playing time last season, and he demonstrated that he can hold up the ball and distribute as well.

If TFC can acquire Nkufo, I would be thrilled, but it is unlikely due to his contract status in Seattle. That being said, I am confident that Maicon will prove to be a very effective CF on this team, hopefully for years to come.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    His problem is consistency. But when he's on...he can smoke the opposition in this league. I guess we are hoping that Winter can motivate him to be on his game most of the season. I think he's got the skill. Whether his concentration can remain on point is the question.
    I agree that he is not consistent enough. But then again, bouncing around his entire career tells me that he's been inconsistent all his career. *shrug*

I just think people should not have such high hopes for Maicon Santos. (then again, Santos could have a breakout year out of nowhere. Ask Wondo or Le Toux)

As for Nkufo's contract situation, didn't an article state that his contract was bought out by Seattle and more or less available as free agent?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Nkufo's effectively a free agent, why aren't teams lining up to sign him yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    If Nkufo's effectively a free agent, why aren't teams lining up to sign him yet?
    It's a good question. The information available leads one to believe that SSFC bought out Nkufo's contract:

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
    Teams may have the ability to buyout one guaranteed player as follows:

• A Team may buy out one (1) guaranteed player (including a DP’s) contract during the off-season and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the particular MLS Team’s own expense.
    • A Team may not free up budget space with a buyout of a player’s salary budget charge during the season. Such a buyout will be conducted by the League and count on a Club’s budget in a manner consistent with current MLS guidelines.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

You would think that Nkufo would be free to negotiate with whoever he wants. Perhaps player contracts actually belonging to the league complicates things? If Nkufo were to agree to play for less elsewhere in MLS, would it affect the rest of his guaranteed salary? There are many reasons why some teams would pass on him. Some MLS teams already have full squads and/or lack cap space. Being older and at the end of his career, Nkufo just might not fit into the picture of some teams. There has been speculation as to why Vancouver passed on him:

Signs that all was not well between the Sounders and Nkufo first started to show when he was left unprotected in the Expansion Draft. It wasn't a shocking decision, as several Designated Players were left exposed, but it was perhaps telling that the Vancouver Whitecaps passed on the chance to select him since they would've been given the opportunity to renegotiate his contract.
    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/3...f-the-question

In the end, the Whitecaps landed Hassli. It is also the case that teams have until April 15 to make additions. Perhaps injuries, or poor performance might change the minds of some managers? Nkufo would certainly take an international roster spot on US squads, but does the fact that he has relatives living in Canada change things for Canadian sides?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears that Blaise Nkufo is set to retire. He'd like to become a scout for FC Twente Enschede:

http://www.nusport.nl/overige-comp/2...-loopbaan.html

Quote Originally Posted by NUsport.nl
    Blaise N'Kufo heeft woensdag besloten een punt achter zijn loopbaan te zetten. De spits vertrok een week geleden vlak voor de competitiestart bij zijn Amerikaanse werkgever Seattle Sounders en gaat nu met pensioen, zo melden diverse media.
    Translation: Blaise N'Kufo has decided to put an end to his career on Wednesday. The striker left his American employer, Seattle Sounders, a week ago just before the start of the season and now goes into retirement, so reports various media.

Quote Originally Posted by NUsport.nl
    Onlangs sprak N'Kufo tegenover NUsport al zijn twijfels uit over een verlenging van zijn loopbaan. In de toekomst hoopt hij als scout voor FC Twente aan de slag te gaan.
    Translation: Recently N'Kufo spoke opposite NUsport about all of his doubts over a lengthening of his career. In the future, he hopes to get to work as a scout for FC Twente.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that hype and he retires...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's ok, we have Maicon "The Cannon" Santos!