Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SI MLS Preseason Power Rankings

Toronto at 17th and Vancouver at 18th. It looks like another long season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ing/index.html

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC
    After years of personnel decisions that ranged from impetuous to inane, the new management is being extra cautious about roster choices. That might mean hard times initially. At least the style under Dutch coach Aron Winter should be easier on the eyes than what we've typically seen previously.
    I'd rather watch a pretty loss than an ugly one..... but not by much.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This rankings look to be much more accurate than Nigel Reed's rankings. It is always hard to predict MLS rankings because a couple of solid players (Lindpere and Ream) and your team jumps from 17th to 5th. Chicago and New England are hard to predict, as they have brought in 4 new imports.

I will be shocked if Vancouver finishes 18th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes. Not good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope the fan base tempers their expectations. We have pretty much the same team as last year. We'll be expecting an unskilled bunch to play a skilled system and formation. It could be really ugly, especially at the start of the season. I'm just hoping for a vast improvement in the second half of the season compared to the first. Maybe a shot in the arm from a couple of quality signings in the summer.

Unfortunately, i see the Whitecaps battling hard for a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 of the top 6 are from the West.
    Looks like the East will suck large this year.
    At least that will better our chances of making the playoffs

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West will be much stronger than East this year, just as last.

I in all honesty don't think either of Van and TFC will make the playoffs this year, but I think Van will finish higher than us points-wise.

We're a long way from home here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay for Semi-Arbitrary Power Rankings to get everyone down!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, they put Philly in 12th because they have Ruiz...

Hahahahahahaha

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    This rankings look to be much more accurate than Nigel Reed's rankings. It is always hard to predict MLS rankings because a couple of solid players (Lindpere and Ream) and your team jumps from 17th to 5th. Chicago and New England are hard to predict, as they have brought in 4 new imports.

I will be shocked if Vancouver finishes 18th.
    I agree. There's little doubt in my mind that the Whitecaps can stay out of the cellar. They are an expansion club by name only and I think we'll see a very competitive Vancouver club this season. They aren't making playoffs by any stretch, but I'm gonna go on record and say they finish 15th overall. You heard it here.

Chivas and Portland just do not look as ready for the season as the Whitecaps seem to.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not to worried about this article being terribly accurate. Their coverage of MLS is minimal at best on top of the fucking fact we havent played one season game yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take it all with a grain of salt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill be shocked if NE do as well as 8th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beyond the top 5-6 clubs, ranking the rest of the league is a crap shoot at best, given the parity of MLS and various roster changes among clubs in the off season. TFC could finish the season ranked anywhere from 8th - 18th and I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I do think TFC will be slow out of the gate igniting doom and gloom scenarios among some supporters but unlike years past, I think this year's club will get stronger throughout the season as the players get acclimated with each other and Winter's system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yeah -- but regardless, there's no way we're making the playoffs this year.

It is literally Year One all over again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just happy someone is picking us above Vancouver.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Beyond the top 5-6 clubs, ranking the rest of the league is a crap shoot at best, given the parity of MLS and various roster changes among clubs in the off season. TFC could finish the season ranked anywhere from 8th - 18th and I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I do think TFC will be slow out of the gate igniting doom and gloom scenarios among some supporters but unlike years past, I think this year's club will get stronger throughout the season as the players get acclimated with each other and Winter's system.
    Yep, agree whole heartedly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree...

With so many teams being so closely matched, and the fact that one big-name signing can (not always but can) change a roster completely, its almost like there are two-season for rankings; before the season, after the June transfer....

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And with the extra playoff spots hopefully we can gain our stride in time and do some damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    ^Yeah -- but regardless, there's no way we're making the playoffs this year.

It is literally Year One all over again.

Na we sucked year one and even then with the addition of a few players in April we were competitive.

How many players is this team short of being competitive? If the team can battle and get a couple of forwards and a winger later on this year, then we aren't out of it like year one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    Na we sucked year one and even then with the addition of a few players in April we were competitive.

How many players is this team short of being competitive? If the team can battle and get a couple of forwards and a winger later on this year, then we aren't out of it like year one.
    Maybe -- but the rest of the league is a hell of a lot better now than then also -- not to mention there's, how many now, four more teams?

I think if we finish, like, 12th, that would be a decent achievement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Power ranking has us at 18th, Vancouver 16th

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...wer-rankings-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Chivas and Portland just do not look as ready for the season as the Whitecaps seem to.
    Portland beat Seattle in the Cascadia Summit and tied Vancouver (Vancouver's goal was a Portland own goal).

I think Portland looks better than Vancouver from the Cascadia games I watched.

Portland's squad looks huge too -- lots of big talented guys, including Kenny Cooper, who is a proven MLS scorer.
    Last edited by rocker; 03-15-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was Winter I would be using these media rankings as billboard material in the locker room to motivate the troops.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how the MLS rankings has the final results of our preseason games as the only comment on how we will do in the regular season. Not that I have any real high expectations but pretty lame way to base the rankings. Hope to prove these rankings guys wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L.A. also has one of the oldest teams, well the big pieces anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All ridiculous. So much offseason movement, it's hard to call anyone. Maybe New York, LA, Colorado, RSL and Houston will be predictably solid. The rest is a TOTAL crapshoot,, except maybe seattle. Even there, there's enough injury, turnover and lack of squad depth to say it's a crapshoot.

There's simply not a consistent enough talent depth across the league to predict how most of the league will do. I tend to think we'll be near the bottom, but I really have no idea. I haven't really even seen us play a new system with all our starters yet.

DC was the closest and we were lacking DeGuzman and Cann, two pretty key players.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    MLS Power ranking has us at 18th, Vancouver 16th

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...wer-rankings-0
    All the preseason losses have the Red Patch Boys asking how to say “work in progress” in Dutch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Im not to worried about this article being ... the fucking fact we havent played one season game yet.
    Hence the term 'Preseason" Rankings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it is composed right now, I don't expect our team to be great. Of course, lineups can change radically, as we've learned in the past.

I don't place much stock in pre-season rankings, though. We were predicted to be a better team last season than we ended up being. It's all just reading tea leaves.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens