Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today`s News,July 2.

Morning

Whitecaps stun Toronto FC

THE CANADIAN PRESS
    Martin Nash scored on a penalty kick to lead the Vancouver Whitecaps to a 1-0 upset victory over Toronto FC in a Nutrilite Canadian Championship game at BMO Field on Tuesday.
    With the win against Canada's lone team in Major League Soccer, the Whitecaps (1-2) kept their slim hopes alive in the three-team, round-robin tournament.
    The Montreal Impact leads the way at 2-1 while Toronto FC sits second at 1-1.
    Toronto suffered its first loss at home in nine games this season. Toronto FC is 5-0-3 at BMO Field in MLS play.
    The Canadian championship resumes when Toronto travels to Vancouver on July 9 and wraps up when FC plays host to the Impact on July 22.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/452413

Whitecaps edge TFC

PETER MALLETT

The United Soccer Leagues' Vancouver Whitecaps kept their Canadian championship hopes alive by the slimmest of margins Tuesday, withstanding a late game onslaught by Major League Soccer's Toronto FC for a 1-0 victory at BMO Field.
    "It was a high-fantastic, high-energy win for us — to come here and get a result after a hard-fought battle for 90 minutes was just incredible," Whitecaps coach Teitur Thordarson said.
    It was the first home loss for Toronto this season.
    Toronto's record slipped to 1-1-0 in the CONCACAF Champions League preliminary round tournament while Vancouver improved to 1-2-0.

Whitecaps midfielder Martin Nash scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot in the 37th minute after Toronto defender Jim Brennan hauled down Jeff Clarke inside the 18-yard box.
    Clarke had collected a corner kick from midfielder Justin Moose to the right of the Toronto goal when Brennan put both of his arms around Clarke, who fell to the ground. Referee Steve Dipiero immediately pointed to the penalty spot.

Read more
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC upset by USL Whitecaps
    Team from lower league hands Toronto its first home defeat this season on controversial call

Morgan Campbell
    Before yesterday's Canadian Championship game against the Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC coach John Carver told his players about the time he led Luton Town into an FA Cup match against Premiership powerhouse Liverpool.He remembers Liverpool with their big-name, big-money players approached that match with arrogance, as if lowly Luton owed them a win. He also remembers that game ending in a draw, and warned his heavily favoured team not to let the same thing happen to them against Vancouver.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/452466

TFC upset by Whitecaps in Champions action

Eric Koreen, National Post
    The Toronto FC faithful at BMO Field are creative. Sometimes, they are even witty. Yesterday, they had their words shoved back in their mouths.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=625435

TFC red in the face
    Blames CONCACAF loss to Vancouver on poor officiating

By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

There were no Happy Canada Day wishes coming from a clearly steamed Toronto FC coach John Carver after his side suffered an excruciating 1-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps at BMO Field yesterday. In fact, the TFC skipper called out the whole team for its first-half effort -- including his own roster decisions -- as the biggest factor in the team's first loss at home this season.

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Oth...39301-sun.html

http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html
    Last edited by arbogast; 07-02-2008 at 04:54 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things bother me today.

First, the National Post article making fun of the fans. I am livid that this article focuses on the fan chants to highlight the upset.

Second, how the fuck can the sports journalist community not call out the officiating from yesterdays game? Where is the outrage for effen sake. Note to Carver - if you thought Canadian sports journalists were going to shine a bright light on the officiating, you were wrong. Our pussy cat journalists are too busy still learning the fricken game to notice.

FUuuuuck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wondered whether the CSA wanted that sort of officiating as payback for the sparse crowds in Toronto for National Team games. I realize it is a stretch, but the officiating yesterday was horrendous, and maybe that is what they were told to do.

Also, haven't we given up on linking to National Post articles? They are a negativist paper when it comes to Canadian soccer, so why waste the time with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Two things bother me today.

First, the National Post article making fun of the fans. I am livid that this article focuses on the fan chants to highlight the upset.

Second, how the fuck can the sports journalist community not call out the officiating from yesterdays game? Where is the outrage for effen sake. Note to Carver - if you thought Canadian sports journalists were going to shine a bright light on the officiating, you were wrong. Our pussy cat journalists are too busy still learning the fricken game to notice.

FUuuuuck!
    You hit the nail on the head with this comment. Can we start ignoring the National Post now? They are the equivalent to the National Enquirer when it comes to TFC coverage. "A Better Read" my ass!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    I wondered whether the CSA wanted that sort of officiating as payback for the sparse crowds in Toronto for National Team games. I realize it is a stretch, but the officiating yesterday was horrendous, and maybe that is what they were told to do.
    Because people didn't show up for national team games, the refs were told to give the game to Vancouver.... wow... that's a new one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLav View Post
    Because people didn't show up for national team games, the refs were told to give the game to Vancouver.... wow... that's a new one.
    He admitted it was probably a reach.

But you know what? It isn't impossible. The CSA hates Toronto. Who knows what they would do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, haven't we given up on linking to National Post articles? They are a negativist paper when it comes to Canadian soccer, so why waste the time with them?
    It's still news so I posted it. We have no choice but to put up with this type of crap from ignorant "jounalists" in the short term. I think it's important for footy fans to get on the backs of editors and the jounalists them selves for printing this kind of garbage. By applying pressure, hopefully things will change.

having said that, I read the National Post, so I posted this story, BUT if you guys are that dead against it then..I won't include the Post from this section while Denime is away.
    Last edited by arbogast; 07-02-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The view from Vancouver

The Toronto FC faithful at BMO Field are creative. Sometimes, they are even witty. Tuesday, they had their words shoved back in their mouths.

About halfway though TFC's Nutrilite Canadian Championship game against the Vancouver Whitecaps, the fans started to chant, "U-S-L, U-S-L." It was a reference to the Whitecaps' league, USL First Division, which is a step below TFC's Major League Soccer.

Well, score one for the little guy. Vancouver, on the strength of a controversial penalty kick, earned a 1-0 win over TFC on Tuesday, marking the first time TFC has lost at BMO Field all year.
    http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...9-eb7c828b3657
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGT View Post
    If there was any influencing of the referees I'd bet it came from Montreal and Monsieur Saputo and his buddies.

The cup is theirs to lose now.

But tampering like that only happens in Italy...not in our crappy little competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    God, I hope we win the game in Vancouver - This crap has to stop NOW!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post

It's the same article as the National Post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    If there was any influencing of the referees I'd bet it came from Montreal and Monsieur Saputo and his buddies.

The cup is theirs to lose now.

But tampering like that only happens in Italy...not in our crappy little competition.
    Can't quite make out if that's sarcasm or not. Hope it is, or I have a couple bones to pick.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    God, I hope we win the game in Vancouver - This crap has to stop NOW!!!
    That next game in Vancouver will be HUGE!
    The TFC players will certainly get to show us if the loss on Canada Day bothered them as much as it did their fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone on Voyageurs forum made an interesting point about how only Canadian players are taking this tournament seriously. I think that is correct because only players I saw playing with a lot of passion/fire were Canadian players on both team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, like Justin Moose and Jay Nolly, Nick Addlery, Omar Jarun...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Someone on Voyageurs forum made an interesting point about how only Canadian players are taking this tournament seriously. I think that is correct because only players I saw playing with a lot of passion/fire were Canadian players on both team.
    If that's the case, put on Harmse and Lombardo!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I think that is correct because only players I saw playing with a lot of passion/fire were Canadian players on both team.
    Guess you missed Guevara's passion and Wynne's fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Guess you missed Guevara's passion and Wynne's fire.
    You're right. I forgot about those two.