Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nana in contract talks

according to John Molinaro, would be a shame if we lost both Cann and Attakora, looks like he is waiting for six figures as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimamalek View Post
    according to John Molinaro, would be a shame if we lost both Cann and Attakora, looks like he is waiting for six figures as well
    I don't think that 80 to 120 thousand would be unreasonable. He has plenty of potential to grow further and showed well last season. If usanov and hscanovics can make $125,000 and play occassionally then surely Nana is worth 6 digits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are not losing Cann. He is back with the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nana deserves six figures no doubt and he deserves a long term contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new regime has demonstrated a willingness to be more than reasonable in their contract talks with DeRo and Cann, considering they were both under contract.

In this case, Attakora's contract is about to expire. Given the circumstances and his value to the team, I am confident that mutually amicable terms will be reached on a new contract extension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimamalek View Post
    Nana had stated earlier it wasn't so much about the money but the contract length...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Nana had stated earlier it wasn't so much about the money but the contract length...
    He absolutely wants to stay in Toronto, and I am sure he will be very reasonable to negotiate with. I doubt the club will let him slip through heir fingers. Just hope they don't try to lowball him is all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not trying to start a war with this comment... LOL

But if you're Nana wouldn't you want more money say over 3 years than less money over say 5 or 6?

I figure he would want to hit the European market once he's a free agent or does he figure Europe will come calling for him?

Just throwing it out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is Cann just back in camp on good will or did he get a new contract I'm still not clear on his situation

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Not trying to start a war with this comment... LOL

But if you're Nana wouldn't you want more money say over 3 years than less money over say 5 or 6?

I figure he would want to hit the European market once he's a free agent or does he figure Europe will come calling for him?

Just throwing it out there.
    I always got the impression that was the issue, TFC wanted to get him on a new multi year contract, but nana didn't want to tie himself down for too long, either due to management instability, or he wanted to be able to go to europe on his own terms when his contrcat was up, at the end of this season.

can't remember where I read it, and could well be wrong, but that was my general understanding.

I'd be happy to see him get into 100-200,000 range depending on how long he signs up for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro also said he's taking a wait and see approach with what is happening with the team.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    I always got the impression that was the issue, TFC wanted to get him on a new multi year contract, but nana didn't want to tie himself down for too long, either due to management instability, or he wanted to be able to go to europe on his own terms when his contrcat was up, at the end of this season.

can't remember where I read it, and could well be wrong, but that was my general understanding.

I'd be happy to see him get into 100-200,000 range depending on how long he signs up for.
    $200K for Nana in this league with this salary cap? You're nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    $200K for Nana in this league with this salary cap? You're nuts.
    Exactly. I don't think anyone in Europe is knocking on his door yet. I doubt he has the leverage to get $200k out of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By his own admission Nana doesn't think he's ready either

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150k is good wage for a solid MLS defender. when you get to great MLS defenders like Olave or Hurtado or Chad Marshall, 250k is about the average there
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    150k is good wage for a solid MLS defender. when you get to great MLS defenders like Olave or Hurtado or Chad Marshall, 250k is about the average there
    Maybe one day, but Nana isnt comparable to guys like that yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't these players just be happy with the contract they signed?

No one forced them to sign, they should wait out the contract before they start asking for more money. Does TFC get a refund if they play like crap?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleOzzy View Post
    Why can't these players just be happy with the contract they signed?

No one forced them to sign, they should wait out the contract before they start asking for more money. Does TFC get a refund if they play like crap?

Um...this is a new contract because Nana's contract is up after this year and he'd be free to leave anywhere and the team would get nothing in return.

Or do you think he should play without a contract? Risk his career playing for 40k/year with no guarantees?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Um...this is a new contract because Nana's contract is up after this year and he'd be free to leave anywhere and the team would get nothing in return.

Or do you think he should play without a contract? Risk his career playing for 40k/year with no guarantees?
    Of course, Roogs. Didn't you know? TFC Players play for the badge, and not the money.

Adrian Cann man, he won the MVP for this reason.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes I forgot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone see any cheque-signing gestures against the Battery?

I can't see this not getting done. Just formalities.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think there's some confusion given all these contract squabbles. LOL

This situation is different.

Nana's contract is due to expire at the end of the year but the reason they have to negotiate now is that if he doesn't sign by, I believe it's July 1st, he becomes a free agent at the end of the year.

Likely, management wants to get this resolved before the season starts so they're not negotiating during the season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But shouldn't he wait till the end of the season and negotiate a new contract then?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh Roogsy. LOL

If Nana wants to you yes, he could wait until the end of the season. But the fact of the matter is that there is a July 1st deadline. So if a contract isn't signed soon this could, technically, drag on until July 1st (or whenever the deadline is). And if a contract isn't signed by July 1st and it appears he doesn't want to sign with TFC at that point, I could TFC trading his rights to another team to make they don't lose him for nothing.

This is different than the Cann/DeRo scenarios. Nana's contract is expiring. DeRo's doesn't expire for another 2 years and Cann's for another 3 years.

(An aside, I wonder what would happen if the club offered to pick up the option for the last two years of DeRo's contract. I wonder if that would be enough.)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never understood why an expiring contract within 12 months (or another way to put it, a contract that is still in force) somehow changes the rules of the game compared to a contract that has 24 months left on it. Are they both still not contract renegotiations "mid-term"?

To me, the only acceptable position for someone who objects to contracts being renegotiated in the middle of their term is that negotiations should happen once the contract has run it's course. Otherwise, you're just splitting hairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Nana for a 3-4 year deal worth $400,000 to 500,000 would not be a bad signing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...maybe an escalating contract?

400k over 3 years

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I can see the escalating bit. Especially given his age.

As for the contract bit, I'm sure TFC would prefer to be going over a contract after the season is over, but in Nana's circumstance the issue of the July 1st is the overriding factor.

I'm sure if there was a similar clause in DeRo's contract (as per the CBA) that DeRo would be a free agent after this season if he didn't have a contract in place by July 1st, that the club would be more than willing to renegotiate. What is the date when a club has to pick up an option for next season?

Personally I would have no issue with DeRo if he came out said "I just want the last two years of my contract guaranteed" as opposed to "I want more money".

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But then that is still a renegotiation and an inconsistent position. You can't simply say "I believe in renegotiation but only when it suits the club". You either you do or you don't.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    But then that is still a renegotiation and an inconsistent position. You can't simply say "I believe in renegotiation but only when it suits the club". You either you do or you don't.
    Nana isn't asking to renegotiate his contract for this season nor is the club renegotiating his contract for this season. They're working on a new deal for the 2012 season, and beyond.

And it suits Nana too though. Not just the club.

If he doesn't sign saying "I want to test the waters out there" and gets hurt after the deadline is passed, he's screwed. Or could be screwed.

That's why I think he's not looking for a long term deal. I think he's willing to take the risk of a shorter term deal for more money. Because after that deal is done then he can move on.

If it was about security, I'm sure the club, given Nana's age, would be willing to give him the security of a long term deal at less dollars. But at the same time I feel Nana wants to move on to greener pastures in his career so he doesn't want to be tied down.

At this juncture the team comes and says we need to get a contract done by July 1st (which in essence is their "end of the season" timeline) and it appears Nana is amiable to a new contract. Nana could say no thanks. And test the waters come December. He probably feels a) he's not ready to move on and b) if he did test the waters come December he wouldn't be in position to maximize his earnings. He probably figures he's 2-3 seasons away from being ready to go across the ocean and he'd rather do it here than at some 2nd division Danish team.

That's the game you play.