0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good. Envious of the roof...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Today, we are presenting you a major league stadium for a major league city,” Joey Saputo

So what does that make us?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ A discount CSA planned stadium for a major league city.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ A PDL city with a CFL stadium
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great.

I can understand leaving the one corner open, but the other side looks like it could wrap around.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lisa: What's so special about this game, anyway? It's just another chapter in the pointless rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville. They built a mini mall, so we built a bigger mini mall. They made the world's largest pizza, so we burnt down their City Hall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what the HELL!

MLSE, I hope you are already working on drawings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heads up

LOSERVILLE!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found this tweet interesting in Chris Rugel's (Roogsy) twitter page: Comes from Paul Beirne: Toronto FC and a roof that we won't get until Mayor Rob Ford is done as Mayor of Toronto

@Paulbeirne Hah! I've met Ford. There's only one "football" to him. You'll get a roof the day you open the stadium to the Argos. 5 minutes ago via ÜberSocial in reply to Paulbeirne

http://twitter.com/Roogsy

http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doesn't say how much the expansion and roof costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    Found this tweet interesting in Chris Rugel's (Roogsy) twitter page: Comes from Paul Beirne: Toronto FC and a roof that we won't get until Mayor Rob Ford is done as Mayor of Toronto

@Paulbeirne Hah! I've met Ford. There's only one "football" to him. You'll get a roof the day you open the stadium to the Argos. 5 minutes ago via ÜberSocial in reply to Paulbeirne

http://twitter.com/Roogsy

http://twitter.com/Paulbeirne

Actually that means it was from Roogsy to Paul Beirne. Not vice versa. While I respect what Roogs has to say (unless its about Dero), him saying it is QUITE far from Paul saying it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that, thought it came from Paul Beirne. Thanks for the correction. Even though it came from Roogsy, I'm pretty sure we are not getting a roof or an expanded stadium while Rob Ford is Mayor. Hope I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that, thought it came from Paul Beirne. Thanks for the correction. Even though it came from Roogsy, I'm pretty sure we are not getting a roof or an expanded stadium while Rob Ford is Mayor. Hope I am wrong.

Well, the city isn't going to pay for it while Ford is mayor but they probably wouldn't stand in the way if someone else wanted to pay for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should the city pay for it anyway? (regardless of who is Mayor) They already forked out money for the initial build of BMO. If MLSE wants a roof they can put up the $$.

Besides, if there is any more development at BMO it will only happen if they are guaranteed the Winter Classic outdoor hockey game for the Leafs 100th anniversary/50 years without a Cup celebration. Until then I doubt there will be any further investment in BMO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So you're looking at about the 2016 season.

So another 5 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about the Pan Am games? I htought they might spruce it up a bit (small expansion or roof) for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    So you're looking at about the 2016 season.

So another 5 years.

For any major investments that's what I think they will do. Makes better business sense to tie a large investment to another event to help recoup the costs. Add the fact MLSE will be pumping any level of government who will listen to "partner" with them on the project.

MLSE has already made some investments into BMO with added seating, installing grass with world class heating & drainage system, player dugouts so the view of people in club seating is not blocked. (even thought the players never sit there )

I think MLSE is done for the time being with any larger investments in BMO field.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    How about the Pan Am games? I htought they might spruce it up a bit (small expansion or roof) for that.
    Never thought of that. I'm sure if there's public money set aside for the they can get there hands on MLSE will be looking at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm...for those of us that have been to saputo..you may recall no concession or washrooms under the bleachers!!!

I still dont see them...i wonder it will still be gravel under the stands!!...no impressed considering what new jersey shitbulls have done!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Well, the city isn't going to pay for it while Ford is mayor but they probably wouldn't stand in the way if someone else wanted to pay for it.
    Oh, I don't know ...

... the guy is pretty stupid (and I mean a below average intelligence). If we tell him it's a football stadium and not elaborate, perhaps he can spare some of his gravy to keep us dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saputo stadium really is a glorified high school football stadium...

when i look at all the new stadias being built in the mls, im like "bmo is a piece of shit"
    but when you look at bmo, then look at saputo....im grateful, couldnt be any worse then saputa stadium

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet ford sells the stadium to MLSE before his term is up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    I bet ford sells the stadium to MLSE before his term is up.
    MLSE won't want to buy it, unless it also included full rights to the land it sits on.

BMO Field isn't the class of the league as a stadium, but I still think the location is unmatched, and largely makes up for a lot of the shortcomings.

One day we will have more seats and a roof at BMO, but the rest of the stadiums in this league will still be located in the middle of nowhere, or the burbs.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    MLSE would have to have brass balls for even considering hitting the city up for more money. C'mon guys, the stadium was gift-wrapped and handed to the club on a silver platter. It shouldn't be beyond reason for the owners to pony up the cash for a roof. After all, Joey Saputo has invested almost the same amount of his own personal cash into the Impact's home as MLSE did for BMO Field (roughly 8 million).
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    MLSE would have to have brass balls for even considering hitting the city up for more money. C'mon guys, the stadium was gift-wrapped and handed to the club on a silver platter. It shouldn't be beyond reason for the owners to pony up the cash for a roof. After all, Joey Saputo has invested almost the same amount of his own personal cash into the Impact's home as MLSE did for BMO Field (roughly 8 million).
    In fairness to MLSE, they are currently looking to invest several million dollars into a bonafide academy, and Saputo is not.

Adding a roof to BMO doesn't make a ton of sense, until the stadium's size is settled for a while, which if rumours are to be believed, is not the case right now.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    In fairness to MLSE, they are currently looking to invest several million dollars into a bonafide academy, and Saputo is not.

Adding a roof to BMO doesn't make a ton of sense, until the stadium's size is settled for a while, which if rumours are to be believed, is not the case right now.

- Scott
    The Trois-Riviere Attak had been their academy/feeder team since 2006 and now Saputo is building a new Impact Academy from the ground up. I think it's a good bet that they already have already plans lined up for a dedicated training facility in the near future.

The TFC Academy plan is solid, but the process seems to be getting dragged out, again.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    IMO, that's the rigth priority. roof will be nice, but a pro-style training center/academy will have a far more lasting impact on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of additional concessions - they do mention it in their press release:

"There will also be a total of three entrances to the stadium. The two existing access points will be reworked and a third access point will be created along Viau Boulevard. The stadium will also see an increase in concession points of sale, increasing from 27 to 100 locations. The two existing boutiques will remain in place, while the West plaza will be reorganized.

In order to accommodate the business community, the revamped stadium will also include more corporate boxes, jumping from 16 to 40."

When you think that BMO Field cost $62.5 million to build, Saputo Stadium is pretty good value for money - costing only $40 million with the expansion (17 million for phase 1 - all private/Saputo money, and 23 million for the phase 2 expansion - all coming from the Quebec government)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post

Maybe, but we're also just going to have to live with the fact that the Quebec government is going to spend more money on this kind of thing - they always have.

As for the comment about Saputo being a high school stadium, right now MLS is a high school league. If the league continues to grow then Saputo will grow as well or the Quebec government will do some huge renovation to Olympique stadium.

In the meantime, what happens to the TFC academy plans if MLSE can't find a partner willing to put up enough money? Will they do it on their own?