Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Cunningham ran directly to the ball, then stopped short and waved to Smith to take he.
    From Law 11: "Offside Offense: An attacker is making any gesture or movement which deceives or distracts the defender."
    Theres a fancy little diagram which i cant draw which shows that the attacker makes the defender think he may play the ball, but then doesnt. This is exactly the scenario with Cunningham and Smith today.
    You don't have to quote it, I know it... I also know that it is the most vaguely worded rule ever created. A "distraction" is clearly open to interpretation. If Cunningham is onside and farts to distract the defender, the ref can raise the flag. You talk about pace of play and then hide in the rule grey area... I guess you really are a ref.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is pretty vaguely worded, I'll give you that. No need to get all confrontational. However, referees call the rule this way all the time (not just MLS refs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is pretty vaguely worded, I'll give you that. No need to get all confrontational. However, referees call the rule this way all the time (not just MLS refs).
    All I was trying to say is that you can't call it one way one minute and then another way the next. He was inconsistent, bottom line.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsutd85 View Post
    not even fucking true man, everyone else agrees he had it up real late...and obviously you dont know shit about the game if you think they deserved a penalty... never seen that called in all my years of watching football
    And about the penalty: Brennan climbs all over the guy and finishes lying on top of him. If thats not a penalty, I dont know what is. Again, whats with the "you dont know shit"? Have i insulted you in some way? Calm down...im just stating my opinion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    All I was trying to say is that you can't call it one way one minute and then another way the next. He was inconsistent, bottom line.
    When did he call it differently another time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And about the penalty: Brennan climbs all over the guy and finishes lying on top of him. If thats not a penalty, I dont know what is. Again, whats with the "you dont know shit"? Have i insulted you in some way? Calm down...im just stating my opinion.
    Not sure what you were watching man... As Carver said he hasn't seen that called since about 1945... but go on, keep thinking it's a penalty... as far as I'm concerned it's one of the biggest flops I've ever seen...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When did he call it differently another time?
    Talking about speed of raising the flag (passive, vs. not). Try to keep up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for you don't know shit.. i hate this whole im a ref so i know everything attitude... if today showed anything it's not that difficult to become a ref in this country, all you need is a pulse...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That never gets called. He was backing in as much as Jimmy was holding on, this happens on every corner and could be called on any corner. It doesn't get called. DePiero needed to be a big boy today and he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That never gets called. He was backing in as much as Jimmy was holding on, this happens on every corner and could be called on any corner. It doesn't get called. DePiero needed to be a big boy today and he was.
    Couldn't agree more man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was more obvious than that in that he wasn't backing in. JB was standing there and he just ran straight into JB and then flopped. It was an incredibly cynical (if crafty) attempt at suckering a barely above amateur referee (who should never get closer to the field than the fourth officials table).

It worked!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for you don't know shit.. i hate this whole im a ref so i know everything attitude... if today showed anything it's not that difficult to become a ref in this country, all you need is a pulse...
    I never said that I know more about soccer than you because I'm a ref. I justified giving a big speel on the topic by saying that as a ref im more interested in refereeing than most people. I'm by no means a big-shot ref - I'm 18 years old and havent got past rep yet. I do agree with you on the system through which refs are brought along. Its useless. You can progress as long as you know the precise dimensions of the field and net, and the correct pressure of the ball. Are you ever tested on judging on-field situations? No.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apology from me here: I said earlier that I hadnt seen highlights. I have now. Should never have been a penalty.

I still stand firm on the flag being up ontime on Cunninghams non-goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never said that I know more about soccer than you because I'm a ref. I justified giving a big speel on the topic by saying that as a ref im more interested in refereeing than most people. I'm by no means a big-shot ref - I'm 18 years old and havent got past rep yet. I do agree with you on the system through which refs are brought along. Its useless. You can progress as long as you know the precise dimensions of the field and net, and the correct pressure of the ball. Are you ever tested on judging on-field situations? No.
    That's the problem man... today's ref, whether he got the calls right or wrong, clearly wasn't qualified to be officiating a game of this magnitude, and perhaps more importanty, this speed...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apology from me here: I said earlier that I hadnt seen highlights. I have now. Should never have been a penalty.

I still stand firm on the flag being up ontime on Cunninghams non-goal
    I dont care if it was on time for the non-goal...more importantly...was it the right CALL???

Beyond that...THEN you can talk about the timing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the problem man... today's ref, whether he got the calls right or wrong, clearly wasn't qualified to be officiating a game of this magnitude, and perhaps more importanty, this speed...
    This became clear in the little scuffles that broke out. He couldnt handle them.
    I get the feeling they were giving him a try in a "meaningless" (read: non MLS) game. They had a more experienced man available - Silvio Petrescu (who often does middles for TFC in MLS) was the fourth official.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I dont care if it was on time for the non-goal...more importantly...was it the right CALL???

Beyond that...THEN you can talk about the timing.
    Very true. I havent been able to find it anywhere. CBC Sports only has the penalty and a bunch of missed chances.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are on full player, they do already have the full game up.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow. I need sleep. Good night all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't sleep...I am still really upset about that game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im back. Looking for it on the CBC. what minute was it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just watched it... he was onside for sure... night folks

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serious? fuck. what minute?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serious? fuck. what minute?
    80ish

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got a freezeframe going also. theres no daylight, but it looks like part of cunninghams leg is ahead of the defender. the rule is "any part of the body that one can score with". its very hard to say, but im leaning towards correct call. dont tell me im saying that because refs always stick together, or some crap like that. i legitimately think that it was offside. However, the fact that its even debateable after we watch slow motion replay, shows how difficult a linesmans job really is. I dont think we can say theyre useless cunts when its really that close. And youre kidding yourself if you think they have it in for one team. theyre trying as hard as any of the players to have a good performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 although I am gonna swallow a couple sleeping pills with a shot of scotch to see if I can't fix that problem

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got a freezeframe going also. theres no daylight, but it looks like part of cunninghams leg is ahead of the defender. the rule is "any part of the body that one can score with". its very hard to say, but im leaning towards correct call. dont tell me im saying that because refs always stick together, or some crap like that. i legitimately think that it was offside. However, the fact that its even debateable after we watch slow motion replay, shows how difficult a linesmans job really is. I dont think we can say theyre useless cunts when its really that close. And youre kidding yourself if you think they have it in for one team. theyre trying as hard as any of the players to have a good performance.
    So a rarely used rule is used against us for a PK AND in our house, we don't get the benefit of the doubt on a dubious call? I call bullshit.

Dichio gets MUGGED on a consistent basis in the box. No calls.

Ricketts got his legs hacked in the first half, no call.

Brennan barely touches Nash...who goes down like a $2 crack whore...PK.

Cunny is level with a defender and his leg MAY be ahead by a bit but like you said..there is no daylight...most linesmen do NOT make that call...but we have it go against us. Really?

In our house?

Bullshit.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your arguments are based on what most refs do. Most refs dont use that rule. Most linesmen dont make that call. Can you in any case (even on the penalty, which I dont believe should have been one) say that the referees 100% blew it? While its not usually called, Brennan is tugging his shirt. Cunningham is offside. Period. Id attach the screenshot but the attachment is too big. It doesnt matter what most linesmen would do. They would be wrong. I dont recall any stuff with Dichio today, though it does happen a lot in other games. I dont remember anything about Ricketts, but either way, it wasnt a game changing call, was it?

Just think it through logically. Refs are not out to bullshit any one team. They want to progress in their careers just like anybody else, and the best way to do that is to make the right calls. Screwing one team over leaves nothing to gain for them, unless theyve been bribed. However, this isnt Italy. Therefore, while we may have been unlucky on the penalty, we only have ourselves to blame that were not beating Vancouver 5-0. Anything else is making excuses.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your arguments are based on what most refs do.
    Of course it is! That is what players play according to! You telling me this ref will make that call on a consistent basis...I will call serious bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same here. my head is still swirling with ideas of jumping in my car, driving to wherever the hell that ref lives and egging his house.