Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chanting at the Ref.......

Im a ref, I know lots of refs. I was taught by the linesman at todays game, Amato De Luca. He's a FIFA linesman.
    Listen, the worst thing to do is start chanting "Fuck the Ref/The Referee's a wanker/Im nlind-Im deaf etc"

The Ref knows this, hears it and will go defensive. Whether you like it or not, you will then not get any boderline calls going for your team. This is simply a bad idea.
    Ask a Ref, see what they think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather just call him out and let him go home and have to live with himself knowing that he really is a wanker, and he really did call a terrible game out there just to one up those angry fans in the crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ref today was a joke. Chanting was a natural reaction to what was clearly a man out of his depth.

Bullshit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, chanting at the Ref....it happens at ALL our games.

Having everyone yell "Bullshit, bullshit" really doesnt help

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's unprofessional for a ref to fucking have an opinion. Give me a fucking break ofcourse fans are going to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post

Obviously, though, the chanting at the ref was of a different caliber today. That PK put a bad taste in everyone's mouth. Usually we'll chant "Bullshit" only occasionally here and there, nothing to the degree that we did today.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, it doesn't help.

I usually wait until the second half or for some absolute shit calls... today it was easy to join in.

We should turn that energy into support for our team though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    It's unprofessional for a ref to fucking have an opinion. Give me a fucking break ofcourse fans are going to disagree.
    QFT!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I was as bad at my job, as those officials were today, I would expect (and deserved) to be called out in public, in front of such a large crowd.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a ref, I know lots of refs. I was taught by the linesman at todays game, Amato De Luca. He's a FIFA linesman.
    Listen, the worst thing to do is start chanting "Fuck the Ref/The Referee's a wanker/Im nlind-Im deaf etc"

The Ref knows this, hears it and will go defensive. Whether you like it or not, you will then not get any boderline calls going for your team. This is simply a bad idea.
    Ask a Ref, see what they think.
    This is what I've been saying since the first game of last bloody season. I'm sitting in 112, game is 0-0, we get a ball call, and the "referee's a wanker" starts. I yell at you guys to stfu, and I (yes, I!) get the "fuck you" looks.

Come on guys...I thought the RPB claimed to be educated football fans. If that were the case, you'd know it's only worth scolding the ref if you're losing. If you're winning, suddenly, you might not be. If you're down, you're gonna stay down. Think about it. Football refs have the most discretion of any refs in any sport.

But don't worry...most of you also chant "allez! allez!" when the game is 0-0 too...

These are the types of things that need to stop from the supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's theraputic... and he deserved it. They all did. FIFA or not, they had a crappy game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    It's theraputic... and he deserved it. They all did. FIFA or not, they had a crappy game.
    spot on...it's a natural expression of frustration and will always come out.
    I thought MLS refs were bad...til today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst part was how late the linesman raised his flag on that Cunningham offside, incredibly late and incredibly amateur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seemed as if they got their licenses at the local flea-market.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    The worst part was how late the linesman raised his flag on that Cunningham offside, incredibly late and incredibly amateur.
    I'm a ref. Its better you think about for second or two before you have your flag up and your like "o shit" .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by camcamy View Post
    I'm a ref. Its better you think about for second or two before you have your flag up and your like "o shit" .
    Im a ref as well. If you are unable to make quick decisions you should stay in House League and leave professional games in 20,000 seater stadiums to real refs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by camcamy View Post
    besides... they are playing passive offside a lot these days.

He did make the "o shit" move on the first one he called against Cunningham even though the ball was over his head and onto an overlap by Smith who was onside.

Clearly he didn't have a good game either... that or he doesn't understand the offside law.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good refs do not allow supporters' chants to alter decisions one way or the other…just like good refs are not intimated by crowds…

Todays ref was simply poor

IMO the officiating didn't cost us a victory…a terrible performance did.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Heathen

Listen, if the ref makes a shit call and the first thing you think is well I better not say anything because it might piss him off then we might as well all go home and never come back, I mean really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Good refs do not allow supporters' chants to alter decisions one way or the other…just like good refs are not intimated by crowds…

Todays ref was simply poor

IMO the officiating didn't cost us a victory…a terrible performance did.
    Agreed on the performance... however the officiating very well may have cost the draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Bastard blatantly manipulated the game, he should be suspended and held accountable.

I'm usually against knee jerk chanting at the ref, but today was ridiculous, he's not allowed to punish the crowd, by making ludicrous game changing miscalls and non calls. He is a disgrace to football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    That Bastard blatantly manipulated the game, he should be suspended and held accountable.

I'm usually against knee jerk chanting at the ref, but today was ridiculous, he's not allowed to punish the crowd, by making ludicrous game changing miscalls and non calls. He is a disgrace to football.
    He is the new Tony Evangelista!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you know what? The ref chants generally don't catch on very much. They are usually sparse and very short.

Today? Shoot...it should have been sang all game long. They blew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

Exactly. He has a job to do out there, altering a game's outcome because he feels the crowd is getting on his nerves? That is unprofessional as it gets my friends.

I'm a ref, I've had shit yelled at me that would have made me snap in a different situation. While acting as the referee you are supposed to exhibit class and professionalism. His mind was obviously not thinking about this at all.

Totally unacceptable behaviour.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    Gotta disagree on that...he had it up well before cunningham even shot. Just because nobody at the game knows a thing about soccer and is still cheering 15 minutes later...honestly, if you've got any experience watching the game you glance at the linesman on ANY throughpass. it kind of gets to me that the typical BMO crowd is not knowledgeable about the game. Several examples:
    "You cant call offside and a foul too" (from a guy behind me). Sure you can. The ref played advantage for Vancouver and brought it back a second later on an offside call. This was one of his better calls throughout the game.
    "Cunningham didnt even touch it" (person in my row, on the play where cunningham was offside and then left it for Smith). No, Cunningham didnt touch it, but was still actively offside as he originally went for the ball.

About the ref overall...it didnt seem like he called a great game, but I dont want to completely rip him until ive seen replays. The penalty against us was clearly a foul by brennan. Brennans claim for a penalty on a breakaway was a joke...hes lucky he didnt get called for diving. Kind of takes the bite out of his "you fucking cunt" rant at NE. Which leaves Guevaras wembley goal...no clue whether it crossed the line, but youve got to give it to the linesman, who was right on the goalline and called it right away. Much better view than I had in 108 so I wont challenge him. As for Smith going down in the box, that looked like a clear penalty. Again, havent seen a replay, but I think the ref butchered that call. I think his biggest mistake was letting the game get so out of hand...he was a bit slow reacting to the chippy play which went on throughout the game, and better use of his cards could have stopped that quicker.

Sorry for the speel, I'm a referee myself, and take more of an interest in them than most fans. Also, Torcida, none of this was directed at you apart from the fact that the linesman had his flag up quickly. It just turned into a megapost. Frustrating game anyway.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the late flag raising that does go on sometimes is because of the (revised) passive offside rule. Referees tell their linesmen to keep their flags down until the forward has made a clear move for the ball. This rule is criticized alot because it looks like the linesman is undecisive and therefore pisses off the fans who think he is keeping his flag down. I think we saw that today. The benefits of this rule are that play isnt stopped right away if the defense could easily clear the ball, keeping the game more fluid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Also, the late flag raising that does go on sometimes is because of the (revised) passive offside rule. Referees tell their linesmen to keep their flags down until the forward has made a clear move for the ball. This rule is criticized alot because it looks like the linesman is undecisive and therefore pisses off the fans who think he is keeping his flag down. I think we saw that today. The benefits of this rule are that play isnt stopped right away if the defense could easily clear the ball, keeping the game more fluid.
    He didn't follow the rule on the first offside call when Smith (who actually played the ball) was onside. He was an inconsistent twat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not even fucking true man, everyone else agrees he had it up real late...and obviously you dont know shit about the game if you think they deserved a penalty... never seen that called in all my years of watching football
    Last edited by leedsutd85; 07-01-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    He didn't follow the rule on the first offside call when Smith (who actually played the ball) was onside. He was an inconsistent twat.
    Cunningham ran directly to the ball, then stopped short and waved to Smith to take he.
    From Law 11: "Offside Offense: An attacker is making any gesture or movement which deceives or distracts the defender."
    Theres a fancy little diagram which i cant draw which shows that the attacker makes the defender think he may play the ball, but then doesnt. This is exactly the scenario with Cunningham and Smith today.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsutd85 View Post
    not even fucking true man, everyone else agrees he had it up real late...and obviously you dont know shit about the game if you think they deserved a penalty... never seen that called in all my years of watching football
    What do you mean real late? Before Cunningham even got to the ball I already turned away in disgust as the flag went up. Of course my section is still throwing a party 10 minutes later. You too?