Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    I too was under the impression that he was under a one year contract. There may have been a provision of some sort to revisit the terms of that contract after year one or if he met certain expectations though. the article does state that they offered Cann a NEW CONTRACT that he turned down.

Why did they do this if he was already on the hook? There is more to this than meets the eye.

Shame though that so many people here are ready to kick his ass to the curb for wanting to make more the $55 K's a year! He gave everything that he could last year, along with Nana. Was it good enough? We had guys like Usanov, Saric and Hscanovics, not regular starters, making around $100,000 a year. Ibrahim and White, $100,000 a year, Peterson at 125,000 and GARCIA at $190,000.

If he's not happy with the New Contract offer, why shouldn't he try to hammer out the issues before the season starts as opposed to carrying the problem into the regular season and in essence on to the field? I won't throw him under a bus till I know what's really going down!
    Very good points on the $, paid to those not so worthy, if you've been nominated MVP, with a low pay scale, played your ass off, well...again the minimum yearly pay is far too low, ......we'll always have these problems, I say there should only single year contracts allowed when you are making under, a minimum of say $80,000/yr
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Won't throw him under the bus until I get a better idea of how exactly his contract works, and why the club would be making offers to him if he is allegedly signed for four years.

If it is as it appears though, I say let him sit out the year. Cann was pretty good, but he is also replaceable.

Again though - need more information.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

kaos' post makes sense IF Cann doesn't have a contract.

I have less issue with Cann's actions IF Cann doesn't have a contract. But if he does then it is a douche move IMO.

But it also says something about the management (or likely the media dept.) If as supporters we're questioniing the terms of Cann's contract status. It seems I'm not alone in thinking Cann had a one year deal that expired at the end of the 2010 season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    More proof that players play for money and not for people's fanciful notions of loyalty.

I don't know where people get their flights of fancy. We tried telling them ALL players are like this and nobody believed us. Somehow they think other players are different. They're not. I really don't know why people are getting upset. Cann and the team are obviously in the middle of negotiations. The team is obviously willing to reward him with a new contract mid-term of his old one (something else people around here deny all the time) but obviously they are not offering enough. Him and the team will eventually work it out. What's the big deal about this? This is life in soccer people. What rock have you been under?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    kaos' post makes sense IF Cann doesn't have a contract.

I have less issue with Cann's actions IF Cann doesn't have a contract. But if he does then it is a douche move IMO.

But it also says something about the management (or likely the media dept.) If as supporters we're questioniing the terms of Cann's contract status. It seems I'm not alone in thinking Cann had a one year deal that expired at the end of the 2010 season.
    If Cann DOES have a contract, Why did FO offer him a NEW contract? IF they re-opened negotiations (which they did by offering him a NEW contract), they meaning FO, then anything is game, and no it is not a douche move on his part! It's smart.
    Last edited by kaos197O; 03-02-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Cann DOES have a contract, Why did FO offer him a NEW contract? IF they re-opened negotiations, they meaning FO, then anything is game, and no it is not a douche move on his part! It's smart.

No it's not. It's douchy. Because of some unwritten rule somewhere that anyone who tries to renegotiate is a douche, period.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either way...maybe some of you guys should have some avatars drawn up with dollar signs in Cann's eyes as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter's reality has probley set in for him right about now. He's inherited a team of poor and or disgruntled players along with salary cap issues and bosses and office staff who know fuck all about football but all want to have an influence on the team.
    My prediction, Winter quits before the start of the 2012 season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and this somehow being DeRo's fault? Classic.

Yes...DeRo created all professional athletes in his mold. Too bad they only pick up his bad habits and not his good ones like winning championships.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 03-02-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm awash in a sea of passive-aggression.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I wonder if TFC regrets giving Cann the MVP award out of spite for DeRo?

hahaha , i really never thought about that ..

he scored a tonne last year

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If Cann DOES have a contract, Why did FO offer him a NEW contract? IF they re-opened negotiations (which they did by offering him a NEW contract), they meaning FO, then anything is game, and no it is not a douche move on his part! It's smart.
    It doesn't make sense. That's what I mean.

You don't hold out - which Cann is in effect doing - when you have a contract as the team has the recourse to suspend you.

I mean then its open season on holding out, which is what DeRo had threatened to do but the club said it would let him sit for the year if he did that.

That's why there's the confusion. Especially given the fact that almost everyone here was thinking he had a one year deal.

And who would be stupid enough to sign a four year contract at pretty much the league minimum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the funkin fuck! I suppose it was getting a little too quiet in TFC land.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    No it's not. It's douchy. Because of some unwritten rule somewhere that anyone who tries to renegotiate is a douche, period.
    It is if you have a pre-existing contract.

Its less douchy when you have none.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I'm awash in a sea of passive-aggression.

- Scott

Sorry...I am literally sitting here laughing at these developments considering the positions most people took on Cann vs DeRo. I just wish people would open their eyes and just realize pro athletes are pro athletes, regardless of who they are and what they earn. They're all trying to score a better deal for themselves and quite frankly I don't blame them. People getting all hurt feelings because these athletes operate in a tough world where you have to be a hard-ass in order not to get screwed and earn a relatively decent living need to just watch the game and not worry so much about the financial stuff if they're not going to understand the world they're commenting on.

It's just ironic that it turned out to be Cann that proved me right.

I will try to tone down the passive aggression.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing DeRo to Cann and how to deal with their situations is absurd. Cann may have won the MVP but he's nowhere even close to the player DeRo is and what he means to the team.

I was not a supporter of DeRo and how his situation went down. But in that situation I can see people getting passionate about the debate. Losing him would have been huge for the team.

Seriously, Take Cann off this exalted status. His an average defender who had a decent year in an average league. He may be sitting out for more money but he could be sitting out for a long time. He's easily replaceable. He has nowhere near the leverage DeRo did.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is if you have a pre-existing contract.

Its less douchy when you have none.

I dunno if you realize the essence of your post is that it's always douchy regardless?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry...I am literally sitting here laughing at these developments considering the positions most people took on Cann vs DeRo. I just wish people would open their eyes and just realize pro athletes are pro athletes, regardless of who they are and what they earn. They're all trying to score a better deal for themselves and quite frankly I don't blame them. People getting all hurt feelings because these athletes operate in a tough world where you have to be a hard-ass in order not to get screwed and earn a relatively decent living need to just watch the game and not worry so much about the financial stuff if they're not going to understand the world they're commenting on.

It's just ironic that it turned out to be Cann that proved me right.

I will try to tone down the passive aggression.

Agree!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not a rule...its an opinion...that many people share

if your answer to it is: "hey, its the way football is" then fine. your choice

if youre part of the mechanism that encourages pro athletes not to honour the contracts theyve signed...well...then youre part of the problem.

if, of course, you think its a problem lol

either way...it doesnt bode well for the start of the season

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No.

LIke I said, IF Cann does not have a contract then I understand the tactic. And if that's the case its not a RE-negotiation its a negotiation. It is a douchebag move to hold out if you have a pre-existing contract.

I mean name me the last time any team in, say North America, had one guy hold out when he had a contract and another guy threaten to hold out when he had a contract in one season? I can't think of one instance. I mean you might one on occasion, but two? And in one season?

Its not common practice, in sports, to hold out when you have a contract. Those who do tend to be considered douchebags. Usually the guys who do hold out tend to be NFL rookies who have an inflated sense of worth and don't endear themselves to their teammates.

And I know what athletes are like so I'm not hurt. In the end they're commodities. They know it management knows it. Some fans know it. From my perspective its just a case that I'd rather not have douchebags on my team.

And yes, you can win without douchebags because I know someone will start trumpeting a player's CV ad nauseum.
    Last edited by Whoop; 03-02-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typing on BB in a cold rink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    cann I get some of those?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's good for the goose, I guess.

Herein lies the problem with not stamping out DeRo's tantrum. Why can't other players take the same course of action, albeit on a smaller scale?

I fully expect to see DeRo supporters jumping in to defend Cann's right to renegotiate his value mid-contract. Anything else would be hypocrisy, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no douche move here whatsoever!

He is under contract for 4 years and if he sits out and doesnt want to play then its his loss. Not only will he lose his salary but he would not be able to play for any other team as TFC owns his rights. Im sure he is well aware of the situation and stands by his decision. Good for him to have the balls big enough to stand up to what he feels is right.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No.

LIke I said, IF Cann does not have a contract then I understand the tactic. And if that's the case its not a RE-negotiation its a negotiation. It is a douchebag move to hold out if you have a pre-existing contract.
    Well, the quote on TFC's website is:

“We are disappointed that Adrian has decided to return home at this time,” said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. “Adrian is heading into the second year of a four year contract. We are currently in discussions with the League regarding the situation and are assessing the options available to us.”

What I don't get is why they offered him a new contract if he is in fact under contract for 3 more years. Sounds like the club is opening up the deal, not Cann. But then again, there isn't much info to go on.
    Last edited by Pookie; 03-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In any case, even if it's a one year deal that hasn't expired yet, Cann is still under contract, and should have demonstrated a level of professionalism by remaining with the club throughout training camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send the caveman home...I mean this guy has one good year and now this...disgusting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

I mean name me the last time any team in, say North America, had one guy hold out when he had a contract and another guy threaten to hold out when he had a contract in one season? I can't think of one instance. I mean you might one on occasion, but two? And in one season?

Its not common practice, in sports, to hold out when you have a contract. Those who do tend to be considered douchebags. Usually the guys who do hold out tend to be NFL rookies who have an inflated sense of worth and don't endear themselves to their teammates.

And I know what athletes are like so I'm not hurt. In the end they're commodities. They know it management knows it. Some fans know it. From my perspective its just a case that I'd rather not have douchebags on my team.

And yes, you can win without douchebags because I know someone will start trumpeting a player's CV ad nauseum.
    It heartens me to know that I can leave this website for half an hour or so, and trust you to keep fighting the good fight, Vic.

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It heartens me to know that I can leave this website for half an hour or so, and trust you to keep fighting the good fight, Vic.

- Scott
    What on earth could you possibly be doing for a half hour or so of your life other than be on this site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tidbit from Wheelers article:

"After prolonged contract negotiations, Cann signed a four-year contract two games into last season."