Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    It's not whether I'm okay with it or not. I'm pointing out the sheer hilarity of the situation with respect to Cann and De Rosario.

And quite enjoying the outrage from the peanut gallery.

Really Cann is replaceable. If he walks out, no big deal in the long run. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of time to replace him.

I respect his right to re-negotiate his contract. I don't agree with the optics of it. Similar to the situation with De Ro. I still think he can play a role on the team as well.
    Fair enough. I just don't see why you get pleasure out of peoples outrage.

You may want to remember this the next time somebody suggests that it's okay that Jon DeGuzman (or any other player in his situation) plays for anyone other than Canada.

And I dont' mean to derail this tread so lets not get into a debate on loyalty or club v. country or anything like that. I honestly didn't mean to get you riled up by this post...so please don't.

Just found it weird that you find if funny that people are upset that ANOTHER player has put himself before the club...and at the worst of times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can give scientific proof based on my own studies. My daughter goes and hangs out with her cousin that has a really bad attitude and 87.43567% of the time she will try to bring the same bad attitude home. Calculations based on a study I did over a 3 year span with the help of a number of world renowned professors, a box of Smarties, and a lab monkey...

Also I may have been drunk at the time...

may not have happened...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not whether I'm okay with it or not. I'm pointing out the sheer hilarity of the situation with respect to Cann and De Rosario.

And quite enjoying the outrage from the peanut gallery.

Really Cann is replaceable. If he walks out, no big deal in the long run. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of time to replace him.

I respect his right to re-negotiate his contract. I don't agree with the optics of it. Similar to the situation with De Ro. I still think he can play a role on the team as well.
    I'd like to point out the sheer hilarity of you thinking that a negative attitude can't affect others around you.

- the peanut gallery

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Absolutely. And i can categorically say that no matter how hard i worked, no matter how much I gave encouraging words to my fellow players, at least a quarter of them were still lazy assholes. The remaining 3/4s worked their arses off all the time. Work ethic and attitude comes from within. Maybe it was the fact I was playing lower tiered hockey, but generally, it doesn't spread.

It's a myth that, as far as I'm concerned, should be forgotten. Captains are really unnecessary to teams as well, except for the purpose of talking to the referees.
    What level?

Did you spend 6-8 hours a day with these guys? Did you travel every weekend, 10-12 hours away on a bus? Did you go to school with these guys?

Even at the pro level, did you train with these guys? Go out to dinner with them? Spend more time with them than your family?

Were you pissed off a teammate? The coach? Were a couple of you pissed off at a teammate or a coach? Did you guys talk about said teammate or said coach?

Did you get into fistfights with teammates?

Teams are like families. Even happy families have problems. A family member gets cancer, it affects the family.

A player with a shitty attitude might not infect the whole team, but he might infect one or two teammates who in effect, effect one or two more. Soon you get a split down the middle of the team especially when the team is doing shit. One group points the finger at the other saying "you're not pulling your weight" the other group says "we'll you just kiss the ass of the coach".

Fuck me. You don't have to a psychiatrist to know that.

The best players are the guys who are the character guys - which I go back to the arguments I've had in the past. Captain is just a word because you can't put "this guy has character" on a jersey. You don't have to be a captain to care about your teammates, your brothers. The captain is the guy who when things are going haywire, he says "guys, let's put the differences aside and go for some beers." Not, "fuck me, I'm out of here." He's the guy who when a new guy joins a team, goes to the new guy and says "welcome". When there's an issue he can go to the coach and the coach listens. Not the guy who just stands around and says "this doesn't affect me, what do I care? I'm getting my money."

I thought Cann was a character guy given the way he played and seemingly cared about the club. (I'll still reserve judgment until I know his exact contract status.) But if it's true that he's walking out on his contract, you know what, you ain't going to win with him. And even if you do, when the going gets tough, he's bailing. So fuck him.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    I'd like to point out the sheer hilarity of you thinking that a negative attitude can't affect others around you.

- the peanut gallery
    Co-signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    I too was under the impression that he was under a one year contract. There may have been a provision of some sort to revisit the terms of that contract after year one or if he met certain expectations though. the article does state that they offered Cann a NEW CONTRACT that he turned down.

Why did they do this if he was already on the hook? There is more to this than meets the eye.

Shame though that so many people here are ready to kick his ass to the curb for wanting to make more the $55 K's a year! He gave everything that he could last year, along with Nana. Was it good enough? We had guys like Usanov, Saric and Hscanovics, not regular starters, making around $100,000 a year. Ibrahim and White, $100,000 a year, Peterson at 125,000 and GARCIA at $190,000.

If he's not happy with the New Contract offer, why shouldn't he try to hammer out the issues before the season starts as opposed to carrying the problem into the regular season and in essence on to the field? I won't throw him under a bus till I know what's really going down!
    Absolutely. If he was going into this season without a contract and hadn't reached an agreement with TFC up until today, so decided to walk out...then that's a different story.

Then the story becomes.....why the fuck would TFC say he's entering year 2 of a 4 year contract on the official website.

It's also strange that they would be renegotiating a deal that (presumably) was signed in the recent past.

The whole thing is fucked up right now. Can't wait to hear some clarification on the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cann is making around $56k per year. He was a solid player for us and now wants more money. Why is anybody surprised, looking for conspiracies or blaming Dero in this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- the peanut gallery
    I guess I just believe that players ultimately make their own choices and that it's Cann's own attitude and own ethic that have led him to the decision he made. The fact that you're seriously suggesting that Cann is such a flake he's easily influenced by De Rosario is comical. If Cann made this choice it's because he was pre-disposed to it.

It's like saying the reason you murdered someone is because your friend murdered someone as well.

If logic like that stood up in court, everyone would get off Scot free for being unable to control themselves.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too was under the impression that he was under a one year contract. There may have been a provision of some sort to revisit the terms of that contract after year one or if he met certain expectations though. the article does state that they offered Cann a NEW CONTRACT that he turned down.

Why did they do this if he was already on the hook? There is more to this than meets the eye.

Shame though that so many people here are ready to kick his ass to the curb for wanting to make more the $55 K's a year! He gave everything that he could last year, along with Nana. Was it good enough? We had guys like Usanov, Saric and Hscanovics, not regular starters, making around $100,000 a year. Ibrahim and White, $100,000 a year, Peterson at 125,000 and GARCIA at $190,000.

If he's not happy with the New Contract offer, why shouldn't he try to hammer out the issues before the season starts as opposed to carrying the problem into the regular season and in essence on to the field? I won't throw him under a bus till I know what's really going down!
    cheers to you sir... great pov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really think you know what goes on behind closed doors? Does is not occur that maybe, the management and those running the team are a complete joke. We shouldnt be quick to judge what we dont know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they offered him a new contract because he threatened to hold out on the team...like he's currently doing now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Cann is making around $56k per year. He was a solid player for us and now wants more money. Why is anybody surprised, looking for conspiracies or blaming Dero in this?
    I have worked on contracts before and let me tell you...If I demanded my company give me a raise before my contract was up for renewal they would laugh histericaly at me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    What level?

Did you spend 6-8 hours a day with these guys? Did you travel every weekend, 10-12 hours away on a bus? Did you go to school with these guys?

Even at the pro level, did you train with these guys? Go out to dinner with them? Spend more time with them than your family?

Were you pissed off a teammate? The coach? Were a couple of you pissed off at a teammate or a coach? Did you guys talk about said teammate or said coach?

Did you get into fistfights with teammates?

Teams are like families. Even happy families have problems. A family member gets cancer, it affects the family.

A player with a shitty attitude might not infect the whole team, but he might infect one or two teammates who in effect, effect one or two more. Soon you get a split down the middle of the team especially when the team is doing shit. One group points the finger at the other saying "you're not pulling your weight" the other group says "we'll you just kiss the ass of the coach".

Fuck me. You don't have to a psychiatrist to know that.

The best players are the guys who are the character guys - which I go back to the arguments I've had in the past. Captain is just a word because you can't put "this guy has character" on a jersey. You don't have to be a captain to care about your teammates, your brothers. The captain is the guy who when things are going haywire, he says "guys, let's put the differences aside and go for some beers." Not, "fuck me, I'm out of here." He's the guy who when a new guy joins a team, goes to the new guy and says "welcome". When there's an issue he can go to the coach and the coach listens. Not the guy who just stands around and says "this doesn't affect me, what do I care? I'm getting my money."

I thought Cann was a character guy given the way he played and seemingly cared about the club. (I'll still reserve judgment until I know his exact contract status.) But if it's true that he's walking out on his contract, you know what, you ain't going to win with him. And even if you do, when the going gets tough, he's bailing. So fuck him.
    I Disagree !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I just believe that players ultimately make their own choices and that it's Cann's own attitude and own ethic that have led him to the decision he made. The fact that you're seriously suggesting that Cann is such a flake he's easily influenced by De Rosario is comical. If Cann made this choice it's because he was pre-disposed to it.

It's like saying the reason you murdered someone is because your friend murdered someone as well.

If logic like that stood up in court, everyone would get off Scot free for being unable to control themselves.
    I'm not arguing that Cann was influenced by DeRo, just that it is possible for that to happen.

and the murder comparison....honestly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if TFC regrets giving Cann the MVP award out of spite for DeRo?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

again, MLS rarely renegotiates a contract while it's still got time to run...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not arguing that Cann was influenced by DeRo, just that it is possible for that to happen.

and the murder comparison....honestly
    Hyperbole yes, but you could pick lesser crimes and state the same thing. Theft, street racing, etc.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No one is suggesting that DeRo is directly to blame. But Cann's agent sees DeRo whining about his contract - and it appears the club is caving in as it's been suggested a new deal will be worked out - Cann's agent thinks "wait a minute if it works for DeRo, it should work for my client. I mean he's not looking for a million dollars just a nice raise."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do not re-negotiate with terrorists!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction for tomorrow:

- Cann tells a local reporter he doesn't have a 4 year contract.
    - TFC issue restatement of previous statement that contradicts everything from their initial statement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    My prediction for tomorrow:

- Cann tells a local reporter he doesn't have a 4 year contract.
    - TFC issue restatement of previous statement that contradicts everything from their initial statement.
    LOL.

Its not like TFC can't afford to give Cann a decent raise. They must have a shit load of cap space available with barely any players on the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyperbole yes, but you could pick lesser crimes and state the same thing. Theft, street racing, etc.
    a crime and a negative attitude spreading to others have nothing to do with one another, give it up, as will I.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Don't worry about the roster guys - TFC is going to have a promotion at the home opener where they select seat numbers and that person fills a spot on the bench!
    Finally some serious thought, .....
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't support any player under contract walking out on the team as a means of gaining leverage during contract negotiations. In my opinion, Adrian Cann is a reliable, defensive, centre back but his value in Toronto has been greatly exaggerated because of the lack of talent on the backline in recent years. He is replaceable, and should be made an example of to deter this type of BS from players in the future.

For the record, while I never agreed with DeRo's behavior in the past, Cann's act of public defiance is far worse. Cann has left the team at a critical point in the pre season with no intentions other than to force management's hand. DeRo left (eventually with permission) to go on trial with a storied club. Once Winter made it clear that he wouldn't grant approval for a loan, DeRo immediately reported to the club and has partaken in all of training camp despite ongoing contract negotiations.

I'm getting tired of the drama...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-03-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh here we go again......

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I certainly have more sympathy with the whole "short career, have to make as much as they can when they can" argument for Cann than de ro.

very intrigued by the contract, it's the first i've heard about 4 years.

I'd want to know more about that and what they've offered him before I throw him under the bus like others have.

also amused that they gave him player of the year rather than de ro, and now he's doing the same thing as de ro.

all in all though, very depressing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    EDIT:

Nana is the next one as his contract expires at the end of the year but he becomes a free agent if he isn't signed by July.
    He'll leave the shit show....he's been pretty fair and playing things up front for now.......but I think unless he's recognized for what he's worth......I think he'll leave........btw how can this friggin league survive paying regulars, very low yearly wages and the team should own the player not the league!...then TFC would have more power to keep or reject players....on their terms
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    I have worked on contracts before and let me tell you...If I demanded my company give me a raise before my contract was up for renewal they would laugh histericaly at me.
    I don't doubt it, but it's also a pretty standard move for footballers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you dont realize is that MLSE is a succesfully run business. They do dont care about winning, they do not care to please the players and they dont care about the fans bc we buy in to this promise of success. Do you not see how horrible these teams are (Leafs, Raptors, TFC)?

Im sure this poorly run management team has alot to do with the unhappiness of the players and leave them no choice but to do what they believe is fair. So if your going to throw someone under the bus, it should be those in power (MLSE) and ot the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best post in this thread!