Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    would he? is that how MLS works? or would we still retain his rights and be able to demand at least some allocattion money or something if he signed elsewhere. genuine question really, trying to keep up with all the mls rules makes my head hurt.

and

did he? we have no idea what was offered to Cann.
    It does not matter. If he was under contract TFC is not required to offer him a new contract. Sure, Cann can use whatever leverage he thinks he has try and renegotiate his contract, but it does not mean TFC have to.

When a player does this the team balances the difference between what the additional cost will be vs. losing the player. It's clear Winter felt a new contract was warranted because he offered the player two new options. However, Cann clearly thought the new offers were not what he feels he should be paid for his services and decided to walk to put pressure on TFC.

What has become apparent is Winter does not have Cann on the exalted throne many fans do and does not feel Cann is worth the money he's asking. I think I'll go with Winter's judgment on a players worth - not the player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm sure that Mariner is in fact handling all of the contractual issues behind the scenes but Aron Winter is still the man in charge and will be making statements to the press.
    yes exactly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottom line, in my opinion, is if you have a contract you don't leave the team.
    If you don't have a contract, then that's fine.... it's a negotiating ploy but you're free to look elsewhere (Europe, NASL, etc).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    It does not matter. If he was under contract TFC is not required to offer him a new contract. Sure, Cann can use whatever leverage he thinks he has try and renegotiate his contract, but it does not mean TFC have to.

When a player does this the team balances the difference between what the additional cost will be vs. losing the player. It's clear Winter felt a new contract was warranted because he offered the player two new options. However, Cann clearly thought the new offers were not what he feels he should be paid for his services and decided to walk to put pressure on TFC.

What has become apparent is Winter does not have Cann on the exalted throne many fans do and does not feel Cann is worth the money he's asking. I think I'll go with Winter's judgment on a players worth - not the player.
    Agreed, and let's be honest, Cann's value was much greater in Preki's defense oriented system than it would be in Winter's possession oriented system. Cann's distribution was below average, even by MLS standards. Winter doesn't want to overpay because he knows a guy like Ty Harden wouldn't be much of a drop off within his desired style of play.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    would he? is that how MLS works? or would we still retain his rights and be able to demand at least some allocattion money or something if he signed elsewhere. genuine question really, trying to keep up with all the mls rules makes my head hurt.

and

did he? we have no idea what was offered to Cann.
    Somebody on the Footy Show said it was around $80K per year...more than enough for Cann IMO...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats not including add-ons im sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Somebody on the Footy Show said it was around $80K per year...more than enough for Cann IMO...
    80K is more then enough for the MVP of the year? Even if you didn't believe he deserved the MVP, you are basically saying he's one of the worst players on the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    80K is more then enough for the MVP of the year? Even if you didn't believe he deserved the MVP, you are basically saying he's one of the worst players on the team.

I agree. I wasn't one of the Cann-Cann lovers on here, I like the guy but I thought his numbers were more of a reflection of the negative football that was being played rather than an exceptional footballer for the team. However...

IF you are one of the people on this board that held up Cann to be a shining light on this team, a worthy MVP and an example that even the "arrogant" DeRo should look up, then you can't POSSIBLY agree that 80k is a fair number for a player like that.

BTW...I think 80k was indeed with the "add ons" since his stated salary was 65k. I highly doubt his overall compensation even approached close to 100k.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives suggested that with the add-ons he was due to receive 120k or something to that manner, cant say i think he deserves more than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    People need to be mindful of the fact that this is just one writer in Philadelphia thinking the Union should try to acquire Cann. Its not even a rumour.

By the way, according to MLS, Cann is retired: http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/adrian-cann

but according to Toronto FC, Cann status is "Active" :http://www.torontofc.ca/player/adrian-cann

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Ives suggested that with the add-ons he was due to receive 120k or something to that manner, cant say i think he deserves more than that

I have never seen anyones salary in MLS nearly "double" with add-ons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AGREED...

I liked Cann's play last year - but I agree with you...

Winter knows his stuff - and I haven't really seen much from pre-season or training camp, so I'll take his word / trust his judgement...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I have never seen anyones salary in MLS nearly "double" with add-ons.
    The add-ons are most likely things that will never happen. Like TFC winning the MLS Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Mo's gone now.
    Nothing so far has convinced me that the decision making has gotten any better in terms of personnel though. I would just be wary of trying to make a huge deal with Cann, it might end up biting us in the ass and us overpaying for someone like Mapp who would give us depth but take too much cap space away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's not true...his base was reported at 65K.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet Cann is now wondering how he managed to fuck this up so bad....perhaps declaring retirement is a way out of this mess?? Then come out of "retirement" after a period of time? I dunno....way to go Canner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondaddy View Post
    that's not true...his base was reported at 65K.
    A) its Ives suggesting this, hes got decent info on these things, i wouldnt doubt its true, its happened with alot of players previous, including DeRo
    B) suggested base is 65k, base being the key word
    C) do you know for certain (ie have intimate knowledge) that this 65k is ALL hes getting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A) its Ives suggesting this, hes got decent info on these things, i wouldnt doubt its true, its happened with alot of players previous, including DeRo
    B) suggested base is 65k, base being the key word
    C) do you know for certain (ie have intimate knowledge) that this 65k is ALL hes getting?
    base is actually less...my bad.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...ries-released/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look how much
    Guaranteed Compensation
    , once again does not include anything under the table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look how much , once again does not include anything under the table
    Anything under the table is irrelevant. Because when we compare Cann's salary to other players in the league we have no idea what they are getting under the table (if you even believe that is happening). So all we have is the official numbers that are posted. Based on that, Cann is severly underpaid in my opinion. I know others think he's somewhat underpaid and others think he's worth what he gets. The point is, we all have to use the only numbers accesible to us in order to make comparisons.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Anything under the table is irrelevant. Because when we compare Cann's salary to other players in the league we have no idea what they are getting under the table (if you even believe that is happening). So all we have is the official numbers that are posted. Based on that, Cann is severly underpaid in my opinion. I know others think he's somewhat underpaid and others think he's worth what he gets. The point is, we all have to use the only numbers accesible to us in order to make comparisons.
    Agreed.

Everyone will have their own idea what his services are worth. I can say he's definitely worth more that his posted guaranteed salary from 2010, however, I think my limit tops out at about $110k for Cann.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look how much , once again does not include anything under the table

There is no "under the table". There is compensation outside the cap and believe me, it's minimal. Like I said, players don't "double" their compensation outside the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would reserve that final declaration until we see what Soolsma is making.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think we need to keep compensation in consideration as its what the player is receiving. Also why would Ives be throwing around these numbers? he of all people has little to gain from it. Ill be brutally honest, i dont care enough about the topic to start a 30 page debate about the numbers or the morals involved. I just piped in because this is what i saw and i thought it was relevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Cann is worth more than 65K. How much more is up for debate. 80K? 100K? 150? It doesn't matter. The point is he signed a long term contract and is in no position to make demands, let alone walk off the team. That's why I have zero sympathy for him. If he had any sense he would have accepted one of the revised offers and considered himself lucky to improve on a deal that he shouldn't have committed to long term in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I agree that Cann is worth more than 65K. How much more is up for debate. 80K? 100K? 150? It doesn't matter. The point is he signed a long term contract and is in no position to make demands, let alone walk off the team. That's why I have zero sympathy for him. If he had any sense he would have accepted one of the revised offers and considered himself lucky to improve on a deal that he shouldn't have committed to long term in the first place.
    right on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peterson Jacob $125,000.00 $143,000.00

How in the fuck? What a waste. Useless player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post

you can blame colorado for this one
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post

I've been saying this since I first saw him play with us last year. The guy has some speed but his dribbling skills are amatuer at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. Peterson is useless