Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone heard what the two offers were? There are a lot of ways that they could be crap or hard to take.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Has anyone heard what the two offers were? There are a lot of ways that they could be crap or hard to take.
    well that's the question isn't it. though it's one most people don't feel the need to ask before they throw cann under the bus.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Could Adrian Cann Be The Man For Union?

by Tyler Stellman on Mar 4, 2011 - 11:53 am

The loss of defender Michael Orozco Fiscal – one of the Union’s last cuts before setting their final roster – came as a bitter blow to Philadelphia Union fans; many saw his versatility as key to Union’s potential success this season. As sour as that news may have been, it pales in comparison to the defensive disaster that is ripping apart Toronto FC – a situation that could be an opportunity for the Union .

Toronto FC’s 2010 MVP and defender Adrian Cann left preseason camp after failing to agree on a new contract, according The Globe and Mail.

The Canadian international leaves Toronto FC very slim in numbers with only four recognizable defenders and one striker on their roster. Whether Cann left the club over money or ambition remains to be seen.

With Union manager Peter Nowak recently saying that the club still has cap space, it wouldn’t be unthinkable to believe that Nowak could make a move for Cann should he become available.

With the Union clearly lacking the depth in the back, Cann could be the defensive linchpin they are looking for.

One man’s loss is another man’s treasure and any Philly fan can enjoy the occasional transfer coup over Toronto, whether that be the FC or the Maple Leafs.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/union/2...man-for-union/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Let's make it happen. Positives into negatives, Cann is the biggest tradeable asset we've had since Barrett's departure. If we could get Mapp, Mwanga or Le Toux out of it, it could very well change the fortunes of the franchise this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Let's make it happen. Positives into negatives, Cann is the biggest tradeable asset we've had since Barrett's departure. If we could get Mapp, Mwanga or Le Toux out of it, it could very well change the fortunes of the franchise this year.
    The team really needs to be careful here though, if we are to let Cann go, we can't do it for shite. We really need to play the cards right here and we might come out on top. But with the history of the FO to look back on, Cann leaving could be a huge mash-up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    As I'm sure you're aware there's absolutely no chance of us getting Le Toux or Mwanga.

Mapp would be more likely as his stock has dropped over the last two seasons.

But even more likely it would be a draft pick, allocation money and a younger player or role player, maybe inside defender for outside defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody surprised Christian Arrieta hasn't been invited to tryout. He faded halfway through his appearances last year, but has a decent pedigree and is on the left side, where we basically lack a real starting left back, as far as I can tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take Mapp for Cann in a heartbeat. No chance of getting Le Toux.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I would take Mapp for Cann in a heartbeat. No chance of getting Le Toux.
    you would take justin mapp's 160k salary too? I don't think Mapp is worth that
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I've missed it being mentioned somehwere in the last 20 pages, but wasn't Cann signed last year to a 1 year contract? If this was true wouldn't he have been in camp on faith that he could negotiate a new contract. This seems different than the DeRo thing cuz DeRo had a signed contract, Cann was negotiating a new one and wasn't even under contract to the team. Or am I wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzer View Post
    Maybe I've missed it being mentioned somehwere in the last 20 pages, but wasn't Cann signed last year to a 1 year contract? If this was true wouldn't he have been in camp on faith that he could negotiate a new contract. This seems different than the DeRo thing cuz DeRo had a signed contract, Cann was negotiating a new one and wasn't even under contract to the team. Or am I wrong?
    Actually I believe he just finished year one of a four-year deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Anybody surprised Christian Arrieta hasn't been invited to tryout. He faded halfway through his appearances last year, but has a decent pedigree and is on the left side, where we basically lack a real starting left back, as far as I can tell.
    might have been, but hes currently trialing with Dallas.
    Ill be livid if we allow Cann to leave for little to nothing.

Also i cant see him signing to philly for a huge amount of money, why would the MLS back that move?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    well that's the question isn't it. though it's one most people don't feel the need to ask before they throw cann under the bus.
    No, I don't need to ask that question because the simple fact of the matter is that Cann was already under contract. Whatever the offers were, TFC was not obligated to offer him a raise at all, yet Winter was still willing to renegotiate in good faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Could Adrian Cann Be The Man For Union?

by Tyler Stellman on Mar 4, 2011 - 11:53 am

The loss of defender Michael Orozco Fiscal – one of the Union’s last cuts before setting their final roster – came as a bitter blow to Philadelphia Union fans; many saw his versatility as key to Union’s potential success this season. As sour as that news may have been, it pales in comparison to the defensive disaster that is ripping apart Toronto FC – a situation that could be an opportunity for the Union .

Toronto FC’s 2010 MVP and defender Adrian Cann left preseason camp after failing to agree on a new contract, according The Globe and Mail.

The Canadian international leaves Toronto FC very slim in numbers with only four recognizable defenders and one striker on their roster. Whether Cann left the club over money or ambition remains to be seen.

With Union manager Peter Nowak recently saying that the club still has cap space, it wouldn’t be unthinkable to believe that Nowak could make a move for Cann should he become available.

With the Union clearly lacking the depth in the back, Cann could be the defensive linchpin they are looking for.

One man’s loss is another man’s treasure and any Philly fan can enjoy the occasional transfer coup over Toronto, whether that be the FC or the Maple Leafs.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/union/2...man-for-union/
    A) Cann is extremely overrated. I would love to get something in return from Philly as opposed to letting Cann sit and rot. Let the Union overpay for his services.

B) Pffft, the Kris Versteeg trade was the most one sided trade made this year, in favor of the Leafs. Even their own fans think the Flyers made a massive overpayment (1st round pick, 3rd round pick) for a career 3rd liner. Coincidentally, the Flyers have forgotten how to win games since that trade.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTundra View Post
    The team really needs to be careful here though, if we are to let Cann go, we can't do it for shite. We really need to play the cards right here and we might come out on top. But with the history of the FO to look back on, Cann leaving could be a huge mash-up
    Mo's gone now.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People need to be mindful of the fact that this is just one writer in Philadelphia thinking the Union should try to acquire Cann. Its not even a rumour.

By the way, according to MLS, Cann is retired: http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/adrian-cann

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the plot thickens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzer View Post
    If you are wrong, quite a lot of people thought the same thing. not just random messageboard posters or bloggers, but it was also reported in the 24th minute and at rednation that he was currently out of contract.

after cann walked, tfc came out and said he was actually one year into a 4 yr deal, so presumably that's the truth. though gareth wheeler's article said that..

Winter would not reveal the terms of the contract offers, but did say the numbers originally published concerning Cann’s current contract (four years, last year at $65,000) were incorrect.
    so who knows exactly what is and isn't true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darlofletch, if Cann was really out of contract, he would be free to sign with any club. Obviously, that's not the case, and TFC is still firmly in control of his rights because he is under contract. He's upset that he signed a long term, non guaranteed contract that is below market value based on what he provided last season. That's fine, and Winter obliged in good faith. Again, there is absolutely no excuse for walking out of camp.

Cann never stuck me as an intelligent guy, and now he's proven it with his actions that have likely ruined his career in MLS.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    No, I don't need to ask that question because the simple fact of the matter is that Cann was already under contract. Whatever the offers were, TFC was not obligated to offer him a raise at all, yet Winter was still willing to renegotiate in good faith.
    Is it at all possible that they offered him a contract that provided more base/guaranteed pay and less incentives, effectively making his potential overall income less or just about the same?

I still stand behind Cann on this. There's still way too much that's NOT being said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    People need to be mindful of the fact that this is just one writer in Philadelphia thinking the Union should try to acquire Cann. Its not even a rumour.

By the way, according to MLS, Cann is retired: http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/adrian-cann
    And that's how you get your cap space back for a player that walks out.

There's no way Cann will be traded in MLS, because he'll want a new contract, and MLS won't give him one (remember, the contracts are with the league, not the individual teams).

Cann's done in MLS I think, unless he comes crawling back to TFC and Winter. Winter has done everything right in my mind here, offered the player a new contract, and now pulled the offer off the table when Cann walked. Good on him for nipping this issue in the bud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    Is it at all possible that they offered him a contract that provided more base/guaranteed pay and less incentives, effectively making his potential overall income less or just about the same?

I still stand behind Cann on this. There's still way too much that's NOT being said.
    Winter stated that two improved offers were made. I seriously doubt either of those offers would result in a similar or lower overall income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    And that's how you get your cap space back for a player that walks out.

There's no way Cann will be traded in MLS, because he'll want a new contract, and MLS won't give him one (remember, the contracts are with the league, not the individual teams).

Cann's done in MLS I think, unless he comes crawling back to TFC and Winter. Winter has done everything right in my mind here, offered the player a new contract, and now pulled the offer off the table when Cann walked. Good on him for nipping this issue in the bud.
    Precisely...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Darlofletch, if Cann was really out of contract, he would be free to sign with any club. Obviously, that's not the case, and TFC is still firmly in control of his rights because he is under contract. He's upset that he signed a long term, non guaranteed contract that is below market value based on what he provided last season. That's fine, and Winter obliged in good faith. Again, there is absolutely no excuse for walking out of camp.

Cann never stuck me as an intelligent guy, and now he's proven it with his actions that have likely ruined his career in MLS.
    would he? is that how MLS works? or would we still retain his rights and be able to demand at least some allocattion money or something if he signed elsewhere. genuine question really, trying to keep up with all the mls rules makes my head hurt.

and

did he? we have no idea what was offered to Cann.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would he? is that how MLS works? or would we still retain his rights and be able to demand at least some allocattion money or something if he signed elsewhere. genuine question really, trying to keep up with all the mls rules makes my head hurt.
    If TFC had his MLS rights, but no actual contract signed, Cann would have still been able to sign anywhere else in the world, as long as it wasn't MLS.

My guess is that Cann's contract was 1 year guaranteed with 3 additional option years. TFC picked up his option for 2011. Meaning Cann can't play for anyone other than TFC unless they move him or break the contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and

did he? we have no idea what was offered to Cann.
    At the very least, if Cann was out of contract, he would be able to seek opportunities outside of MLS, and that doesn't appear to be an option for him now unless TFC and MLS agree to terminate his contract.

As for the validity of Winter's statement to the press regarding this issue, are we really so jaded from the Mo Johnston era that we can't take the new Technical Director's word for it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even then its unlikely that Cann would sign with a team in the MLS for more money as the MLS isnt likely to ok him getting a pay raise with a different team. It would set a bad precident.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What confuses me here is who is dealing with Cann. Isn't Mariner supposed to handle these issues? The lack of clarity in terms of roles at the club is a little disconcerting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    What confuses me here is who is dealing with Cann. Isn't Mariner supposed to handle these issues? The lack of clarity in terms of roles at the club is a little disconcerting.
    I'm sure that Mariner is handling all of the contractual issues behind the scenes but Aron Winter is still the man in charge and will be making statements to the press.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not so worried about that, im sure the group comes to a consensus when offering contracts to players