Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with you that there is less talent here ... but I tend to disagree with you on the rest of that.

Soccer in north america has revolved around taking people with athletic prowless first and assuming you can teach them how to play later. While that's starting to charge, I still think that's what we've seen in MLS in the past.

If we really were inferior on a physical front as well, players like Alfredo Pacheco, Gallardo, and Cristian Castillo (who are technically quite good) would easily have established themselves here.
    I thought Gallardo established himself just fine, he score some great goals and was a pretty key part to DC while he was there.

Do you mean Nery Castillo?? if so, I have followed him since his early days with Olympiakos back when he was considered to be the next top world class player. It all went to his head and he has been in a tail spin before he was even able to reach a decent height in his career. His attitude has been poor ever since.

Back on the physical part, have you seen the size of players playing in all divisions of England, even Italy, Germany, France.... They actually strength train.

The most physically fit guy on our roster is Julian DeGuzman because he came from europe, not the other way around. Cann is big, but he has probably never done a squat, he's all top heavy and therefore a decent forward would be able to out muscle him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely not worried.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like TFC to come into form when it matters, and not self destruct after the All-Star Break, so again I will be patient, as long as there is improvement every step along the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm cool with giving Winter some time, but not MLSE. If this year is an utter failure once again and we don't make the playoffs you can be sure I'll take it out on MLSE. I won't necessarily blame it on Winter (unless he turns into Preki) but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and watch this team have another losing season just because we are rebuilding. It won't take much for me to sell my tickets this year and enjoy the summer without having to watch terrible football at BMO.

One difference with me and how I see alot of people feel is alot of you have given respect to Winter way before he's earned it. In alot of people's minds we are in a much better position then we were the previous years. Well, the only thing that puts us in a "perceived" better position is the management we've hired. When it comes to the roster and signings and the rest of it we are pretty much in the same position we've always been. Incomplete team 3-4 weeks before kickoff and a whole whack of trialists we've never heard of before. And I put "perceived" in quotes becauseat the end of the day, we have no idea how Winter is as a coach, we are banking on the reputation the team he came from has.

I'm optimistic because of the reputation of management, but that doesn't mean they've earned my respect. I'm waiting for the season to start before I start judging whether this team is heading in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    In this league, teams go worst to first, worst to worst, first to first, first to worst.

Nobody knows nothing, at this stage.
    So everybody knows everything.

Actually, that's kind of profound in a "may you live in interesting times" kind of way.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I'm cool with giving Winter some time, but not MLSE. If this year is an utter failure once again and we don't make the playoffs you can be sure I'll take it out on MLSE. I won't necessarily blame it on Winter (unless he turns into Preki) but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and watch this team have another losing season just because we are rebuilding. It won't take much for me to sell my tickets this year and enjoy the summer without having to watch terrible football at BMO.

One difference with me and how I see alot of people feel is alot of you have given respect to Winter way before he's earned it. In alot of people's minds we are in a much better position then we were the previous years. Well, the only thing that puts us in a "perceived" better position is the management we've hired. When it comes to the roster and signings and the rest of it we are pretty much in the same position we've always been. Incomplete team 3-4 weeks before kickoff and a whole whack of trialists we've never heard of before. And I put "perceived" in quotes because at the end of the day, we have no idea how Winter is as a coach, we are banking on the reputation the team he came from has.

I'm optimistic because of the reputation of management, but that doesn't mean they've earned my respect. I'm waiting for the season to start before I start judging whether this team is heading in the right direction.
    yep, when it comes to hard evidence that new management are different than before and know what they're doing, and we should all be cool and not worry, there's none. winter has no head coach experience, we've got the same personnel crap going on with contracts and stuff, we've once again got a bare minimum squad with very little time to fill it, and the triallists brought in so far are very very underwhelming.

all we've got to go on is blind faith that somehow it will be better? i hope it is, but so far we've gopt nothing concrete to go on at all, so yeah, with the cann situation now blowing up, I'm very worried about this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Exactly. I wasn't worried (expecting to 'improve' this season, playoffs next season) until the Cann situation happened.

The countdown to Season VI begins...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Cann situation is one of an open window in a time of turmoil... If we threaten to send him to some 4th league team in Russia I'm sure he will come around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Jesus. Why cant people be positive for once. We are actually trialing players. Winter knows what he is doing. Mariner knows what he is doing. People sitting back watching internet broadcasts of matches don't.

This point last year, we had a depleted roster and no trialists. We have loads of trialists this year, and there are still complaints. It seems as if there is nothing that MLSE can do that will please TFC fans.

Just sit back and wait for the news to come. Complaing about a lack of news isnt going to help anything, all it is going to do, is spread discontent like a virus.
    Exactly!!! Finally a rational voice for once! Amen bud.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact are looking strong:

Impact crush FC Dallas
    Phoenix— The Canadian Press
    Published Wednesday, Mar. 02, 2011 11:55PM EST
    Last updated Wednesday, Mar. 02, 2011 11:58PM EST

The Montreal Impact finished their Arizona training camp Wednesday with a 3-0 victory over FC Dallas.

Ali Gerba, Luke Kreamalmeyer and Idriss Ech Chergui scored in Montreal's first win against Major Soccer League competition.

Goalkeepers Bill Gaudette and Evan Bush shared the shutout for the Impact, who will play in the North American Soccer League this season before joining the top-tier MLS in 2012.

“We got the feeling that in the first two games, we made a few mistakes that cost us the victory. We were close to getting a good result,” said Impact head coach Marc Dos Santos. “We deserve to return home on a good note. The team was rewarded tonight as a result of all their hard work in camp.”

Gerba opened the scoring in the 21st minute. Following a through ball from Kreamalmeyer behind the Dallas defence, Gerba passed the goalkeeper and put the ball into an empty net.

“The whole team worked hard to get the win tonight,” said Gerba. “We are finding our form and reflexes. We just need to continue to work and good results will follow.”
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1927870/

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that we will be playing Montreal in the final of the NCC... and Montreal could very well win.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ they beat FC Dallas reserves, read the MLS website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One difference with me and how I see alot of people feel is alot of you have given respect to Winter way before he's earned it. In alot of people's minds we are in a much better position then we were the previous years. Well, the only thing that puts us in a "perceived" better position is the management we've hired. When it comes to the roster and signings and the rest of it we are pretty much in the same position we've always been. Incomplete team 3-4 weeks before kickoff and a whole whack of trialists we've never heard of before. And I put "perceived" in quotes becauseat the end of the day, we have no idea how Winter is as a coach, we are banking on the reputation the team he came from has.

It's MLS guys... If we recognized a name of a trialist then we probably couldnt afford him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    ^^^^ they beat FC Dallas reserves, read the MLS website.
    hahaha

I take back what I said then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big difference between this year and last year are goals. Preki built a team that couldn't score almost by design. The entire preseason didn't have a single goal iirc or maybe just one...

this season only, the odd issue with, the game against Orlando resulted in a scoreless result for our side. And even then I think it was because the boys walked in expecting to bulldoze them, and even the coaching staff picked a weaker lineup. And I'm sure they got blasted for it.

So the fact that we have what? 5 goals over last year is a good sign. Little worried defensively but that will come with some gelling from the midfield to the back 4.

Though I'm pretty sure it'll be a rough start it'll be a positive season over all.

My view of success this year will be as follows. Beat Edmonton, and beat Columbus... if we beat Columbus this year then I don't care about play offs. Though that should be the goal, I'm not expecting it with the trialist that have been brought in thus far as it seems that it's all younger guys that Winter wants to develop over the year into a strong group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Jesus. Why cant people be positive for once. We are actually trialing players. Winter knows what he is doing. Mariner knows what he is doing. People sitting back watching internet broadcasts of matches don't.

This point last year, we had a depleted roster and no trialists. We have loads of trialists this year, and there are still complaints. It seems as if there is nothing that MLSE can do that will please TFC fans.

Just sit back and wait for the news to come. Complaing about a lack of news isnt going to help anything, all it is going to do, is spread discontent like a virus.
    I don't get this post at all. What do you mean we didn't have trialists last year? We had a shit load of them. Why do people insist on making shit up in order yo backup their point? This year is nk different then any other when it comes to trialists. And I have to ask, how is it that you know Winter knows what he's doing. What has he done to earn that much respect already?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get this post at all. What do you mean we didn't have trialists last year? We had a shit load of them. Why do people insist on making shit up in order yo backup their point? This year is nk different then any other when it comes to trialists. And I have to ask, how is it that you know Winter knows what he's doing. What has he done to earn that much respect already?
    That's always a point of debate.

Do we trust what the players say (they say they really respect Winter) or do we trust what random football fans say?

The players might be saying nice things just to get on the coach's good side, so it might not be true that he's that good.

The random football fans don't see things first hand, and have gone through 4 agonizing years, so are not likely to have an unbiased view.

The evidence will come in time. Unfortunately, we won't know for 2 seasons whether the Winter experiment is working.

One thing is for sure: any top level coach with Premier League experience is not going to be coaching in MLS. But our opposition isn't going to have things any better than us. We don't have to beat Chelsea or Barcelona, we only have to beat Columbus and Dallas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to feel sorry for Winter, he talked to Ruud, so he didn’t come into the league with eyes closed. That said he sure didn’t expect grief with the Dero situation, an injured JDG, Cann walking out, previous trades moves by the intern GM, and finally the sorry state of the roster. Also add coming into a club with limited scouting (certainly from South America) It will be interesting to see what he does, I suspect Mariner is earning his coin around now.
    Last edited by TFCwestcan; 03-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Ives Galarcep's chat tonight:

[Comment From jloome jloome: ]
    How much of a ___show is Toronto this year? No matter how good a field boss winter is, can he make something out of this half-sized, undertalented squad? Friday March 4, 2011 12:52 jloome
    12:53
    It's shaping up to be a real disaster. If Winter can keep this season from being a complete bust he'll deserve coach of the year honors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^coming from Ives this doesn't look good...just like the last 4 years, looking to catch lightning in a bottle lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS TEAM IS FUCKED!
    WAKE THE FUCK UP YOU TREE HOUSE INHABITANTS!
    HELLO!
    KD.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kd just wrote that last post under my account. were drunk and kathy's yellin at us to go bed. charleston in the morning.
    aaaayyyeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodnight.
    KD.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    From Ives Galarcep's chat tonight:

[Comment From jloome jloome: ]
    How much of a ___show is Toronto this year? No matter how good a field boss winter is, can he make something out of this half-sized, undertalented squad? Friday March 4, 2011 12:52 jloome
    12:53
    It's shaping up to be a real disaster. If Winter can keep this season from being a complete bust he'll deserve coach of the year honors.
    Ives has also said the opposite in previous years.
    I like the dude and hes got good articles/ideas on things but im not really taking him for his word everytime. ill wait til the seasons over or at least half way through before i cast any judgement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, I'm still not worried. I'm pissed at Cann and the FO for starting another shitshow but a) I wasn't expecting miracles this season and b) I like the implementation of a structure and philosophy that the new management team are trying to permeate through the club. No point in rushing out and bringing in players that aren't going to fit the system or give us cap issues, even if it means an inadequate to start the season. The upside to that is some of the academy boys may garner some experience in the meantime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

losing is not cool.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Counte..._article.shtml

This is a great article that deals well with the "should we be worried" question.

prety much sums up the "it's ok be patient/oh shit we're screwed" and "winter's going to be good/says who? we've got 0 evidence of that yet" debates i have a lot in my head.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps that's an appropriate motto.

I have confidence in this staff to learn from their mistakes, unlike Mo. I also think they are on to something with the youth academy.

However, their trialists are shaping up to be un-mitigated shit. Not sure how long that conversation lasted with Ruud but it clearly wasn't that detailed given the people they are trying to bring in.

If you can get guys from eastern europe, columbia, or a hoist of other places who are playing similar to MLS level football on a regular basis, why scrape the orange dumpster?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we dont know how crap they are yet, if they are crap at all, ive seen one game, you may have seen 2 which hardly gives us a guage on the situation, especially as dudes were played out of position