Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone Getting Worried?

Anyone Getting Worried?

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/20...tting-worried/

I am not panicking, but I am starting to worry a little. Thoughts on the lack of "official" news surrounding Toronto FC's roster plans for the 2011 season.

Your comments are always welcome & appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to know who made the roster by this saturday
    Last edited by nascarguy; 02-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm always worried about this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus. Why cant people be positive for once. We are actually trialing players. Winter knows what he is doing. Mariner knows what he is doing. People sitting back watching internet broadcasts of matches don't.

This point last year, we had a depleted roster and no trialists. We have loads of trialists this year, and there are still complaints. It seems as if there is nothing that MLSE can do that will please TFC fans.

Just sit back and wait for the news to come. Complaing about a lack of news isnt going to help anything, all it is going to do, is spread discontent like a virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm pretty dull to the pain after 4 seasons.
    so no, I'm not worried. it can't get worse.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will be in Charleston for the CCC and will be watching the matches more intently than previous years as this year we are disease free.
    The Mojoectomy was a success.
    Will we come out winning more games right out of the gate? No.
    Is there a great disparity with other teams in the league? No.
    Playoffs? Dunno.
    But when you've been through 4 seasons with this team as most have?
    You go into the new season with some hope things will get better.
    TFC have 'blown' my 'panic' circuit breaker so often that I have had to rewire myself to avoid the continual power outages
    KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Here, here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part I agree What is the most promising is the Academy. Morgan and Stinson look like they will be very solid contributors, but I think that is another year away to count them as starters. Aleman could be bought by an overseas club in 3-4 years if his growth continues, but its too early to say for sure. It would be nice if TFC could keep these guys to develop longer and bring up the skill level, but leagues like the EPL etc will attract the best talent for years to come. Im really liking the news and results Im seeing from here.

One concern is that the guys in charge prior to Winter arriving were not on the same page which sets back player acquisition times. Of the scouting and information they were looking at I dont think Winter liked was he saw or there would have been more additions over the past 50ish days.

Im not really impressed with Gay, though he has some size, not as a starter at least but we really haven't given him service either.

Martina looks like potentiality a good MLS player, he has some creativity, something we have really lacked out wide. If he can be a solution for us, someone who can be more than a match participant that alone would be an upgrade over previous years.

People talk as though we should not look at what we have coming in, but I think its important to evaluate what we do have.

With DeRo we have our lone attack option, Barrett was on pace for a respectable 12-15 last year. Who fills that gap? If DeRe has to be a box to box player, we are in trouble. He should spend 90% of his time focused on attacking as he is our only threat to score currently. In the few matches and clips Ive seen, DeRo comes back quite deep. I dont know if we can count on him as much this season and before.

When JDG gets healthy and he will not be match for awhile, the midfield will go as far as he carries it. If he does not have width to utilize, teams will jam the middle of the park, cutting off JDGs ability to pass. Ive yet to be convinced of any other player on our team able to replace him.

For the most part, I dont see much on our current lineup. Long term I think the future is bright.

Labrocca or Peterson hardly move off the ball with any consistency and that is a big problem with you need those guys to be solid secondary options when our back line is looking to pass out. Cann nor Attakora are adept and passing out neither is Gargan ready to play that style or Omphroy against men. The trialists are meh and Im not big fans of JDG or DeRos character, despite their MLS quality.

I hope they can turn it around, the future is looking sunny days are ahead but not for a long time it seems.

I fear Winter will be trying to make a round hole square with players unable to play his style.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point Winter has 3 games to get the players he will start first kick of the season playing the kind of game he wants. I'd like to see improvement throughout these 3 games. I don't care about the cup though. Concentrate on the system.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'd like to see improvement throughout these 3 games. Concentrate on the system.
    That is exactly what Winter is looking for, guys that will be able to play the system.

In no league can you completely change a team from a basement dweller to a championship contender in 2 months. Everyone just needs to be a little patient. We've waited 4 years already, what's a little longer?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ well put.

Everyone was worried that Klinsmann wasn't going to come through because we hadn't signed a coach by Christmas. Maybe he was just some sort of ML$E conspiracy to sell season tickets and there was no-one coming, or (as some "knowledgeable" posters here very confidently asserted) that he would go through the whole operation, find that Earl and Daso were the "most qualified" to lead the team, and leave having collected a huge paycheque.

Now we're seeing the same type of obsessive worry over signing new players.

It's time to take a , and give Winter a chance to put together a squad.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not worried, but still don't understand why we would get rid of Chad Barrett without having a certain replacement.

Chad, Santos and Dero would have been a decent top 3 in a 4-3-3 formation for the time being.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    Not worried, but still don't understand why we would get rid of Chad Barrett without having a certain replacement.

Chad, Santos and Dero would have been a decent top 3 in a 4-3-3 formation for the time being.
    With Chad it was a contract thing.

The last 2 years of that contract were pricey for the production, another miscalculation on Mo's part.

I agree with the centiment that this is still early days to get too worried. This system is complex and it will take time to find players and impliment the philosiphy. As KD said, at least we have a new batch of guys.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing to worry about
    we need to support our team
    if you think we are going to come out of the gate winning then you will be disappointed
    this is like starting over but it seems to be a promising one for the future of tfc
    if we continue to be the 12 th man then our faith will be rewarded but its going to take more than one season to turn the team around
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ +1

Preseason means little. Lets see what comes when the games matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    ^^ +1

Preseason means little. Lets see what comes when the games matter.
    If there is anything that I have learned in religiously following this club over these past years it is this..... It can definitely get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ML$E that should be worried!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    If there is anything that I have learned in religiously following this club over these past years it is this..... It can definitely get worse.
    What.... are we gonna have a 1,000 minute goal drought this time? Are we going to lose every single game of the season? At this point the only worse it could get is if the team relocated.

What is there to be worried about? There's no relegation or anything.... Thank god.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've already accepted to write this season off.
    i can live with one unsucessful season under the new boys
    next year i expect results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO the goal is to stay around .500 until we can get a goal scoring DP in here, hopefully by mid-May....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what Winter, DeKlerk and Mariner are trying to do is the right direction. Frankly, I don't think the current player roster can fully execute that system. If they are are honest professionals, Winter and his staff know that now. Considering that there are only so many players you can turn over in a year it will take some time to get where we need to go. My benchmark for this year is modest improvement rooted in having a clear direction from the coaching staff. I hope this will then allow us to bring in better trialists in the next few years, combined with the home grown players who are brought up with experience in the new system through their training.

Further,
    In the past I though that the coach/staff should try to fit something to the players we have, understanding the limitations of MLS, salary caps, etc. When Preki came in, I thought he would start bringing in players to fit his system. It didn't work, for lots of reasons; everyone is familiar with those discussions. I have more confidence in Winter and his staff that they can start doing that.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 03-01-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Ha, sure, but it can get worse in a lot of different directions.

They could have made a big, splashy player signing - or even a couple of DP signings to make it look like they were going to turn things around in a hurry, but this team has a very deep hole to climb out of and that's not going to happen fast.

One thing we have learned, though, is that an MLS team can have a shaky start - and a shaky summer - and still be competing for a playoff spot right up to the last game. That's what I think will happen this year, there'll be a lot of inconsistency for the first half or two thirds of the season and a strong finish. If a playoff spot is on the line with the final game of this season TFC won't collapse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have total confidence in Winter, De Klerk, and Mariner. Lets face it we have a new coach a new system and it is going to take a while for the players to adapt. I saw it with Both Cann and Nana during that Disney thing last week. they both looked out of sorts hell it is F_cking Pre season. What do you expect. I personally do not care if they win this Carolina Cup challenge I am more concerned in improvement in play.
    Last edited by GuelphStorm2007; 03-01-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Jesus. Why cant people be positive for once.
    I have tried to keep my optimistic feeling going - but now that we are getting close I am getting a little worried...

But that's normal. People shouldn't freak out if someone is worried - that doesn't mean you're being negative...

This year, before our first playoff game, I'll be excited, pumped, jacked, and worried - all at the same time...

That kind of sums up right now... I'm excited for the season, pumped to see a proper management unit in placed, and ready to go with all the new faces and triallists - but at the same time, I'm also worried that we don't seem to have a full roster in place...

Worry is normal for something you care about. Parents worry about their kids when they go out - they're not being negative, they just care...

Now, if someone posts "...we're gonna suck more than Jenna Jameson in a feature video..." than ya, that's being negative...

But to have a little worry as to "...will Winter and the new guard deliver..." that's perfectly normal, and not being "negative" at all...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For once I agree with you.

And that is the worst thing for this team because the next step will be complete indifference.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    For once I agree with you.

And that is the worst thing for this team because the next step will be complete indifference.
    Totally agree. I'm trying to stay positive, but if TFC shits the bed again this season, I'm just going to stop caring about the team altogether.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cup is always half full. .

and hopefully half full with Whiskey!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I'm always worried about this team.
    Yuppers

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^

Damn, you beat me to it. LOL