Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't read all the post but wynne would be good he has some good pace for this and can run up the sides good..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    But.... people need to realize RSL wasn't what it is today in spring training when Jason Kreis started as coach.

RSL was shitty in its first season with Kreis, as he began to formulate what is now a very powerful MLS team.
    i know that. but i think there are lessons to be learned from observing RSL 4-3-3 system. it's defensively responsible AND be able to score goals

watching U17 Canada vs US right now and those kids play better game than TFC right now. lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A lot of this criticism is warranted but misplaced, IMO.

If you step back, the real issue is determining the best way to build a successful team year in and year out, including your development system.

With player turnover significantly high in the MLS, you are left with essentially 2 choices.

1. Assemble (relatively) talented players and adopt a system that is suited to their collective strength.

Pros: you will maximize the returns over the short term by playing to your player's respective strengths.

Cons: each year will likely bring about a new system as players come in and out of your club

2. Develop a system of play and integrate it through your development program. Suffer through the growing pains as players learn the system.

Pros: Sustainable, long term success is more likely as players can become interchangeable over time. Success is a function of the system and less reliant on individual players.

Cons: The horses you have on the roster right now might now be able to grasp the system and the season starts in a few weeks. So, you are going to lose some and you can talk about a system but until they can actually play it, you have something in between.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

If you step back, the real issue is determining the best way to build a successful team year in and year out, including your development system.

With player turnover significantly high in the MLS, you are left with essentially 2 choices.

1. Assemble (relatively) talented players and adopt a system that is suited to their collective strength.

Pros: you will maximize the returns over the short term by playing to your player's respective strengths.

Cons: each year will likely bring about a new system as players come in and out of your club

2. Develop a system of play and integrate it through your development program. Suffer through the growing pains as players learn the system.

Pros: Sustainable, long term success is more likely as players can become interchangeable over time. Success is a function of the system and less reliant on individual players.

Cons: The horses you have on the roster right now might now be able to grasp the system and the season starts in a few weeks. So, you are going to lose some and you can talk about a system but until they can actually play it, you have something in between.
    very good post. hopefully we do stick with the long term plan, I'm quite confident that few years down the line we'll be looking good, much less confident about how this year will go down. that growing pains phase you mentioned is definitely happening. this year is looking like a tough one ahead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem so far isn't with the play, or style of play, or any of that, as it's all too new. I'm just not seeing or hearing about trialists who'll make a huge difference.

We didn't just have the wrong system, we had -- and still have -- guys starting who aren't good enough in this league.

We need a couple of key guys, preferably a left-footed forward, a left-footed wingback and a striker who scores regularly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    very good post. hopefully we do stick with the long term plan, I'm quite confident that few years down the line we'll be looking good, much less confident about how this year will go down. that growing pains phase you mentioned is definitely happening. this year is looking like a tough one ahead.

Agreed, This is going to be a year of learning for our players, our Acadamy, and even our managment. Lets give our boys some slack and have faith that Winter will make it work and bring some majic to Toronto in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should make a serious play for Dane Richards of NY. Offer something biggish for him. See if they bite.

He would provide real speed along the wing and is known to pop one in from time to time as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

You forgot option 3:

3. Do nothing until March. Then phone Barry MacLean for some players. Assemble a group of whatever misfits he provides. Don't get a full roster until July. Keep switching players desperately throughout the season, hoping to get something that works. End the season out of a playoff spot, with no recognizable system, firing the coach, cutting this year's riffraff players, and hinting that the December "scouting" trip to Brazil will bring in some "amazing" players, because you are looking at a forward, a winger, and a right-back.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-28-2011 at 01:20 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    We should make a serious play for Dane Richards of NY. Offer something biggish for him. See if they bite.

He would provide real speed along the wing and is known to pop one in from time to time as well.
    Richards's ball skill is about good as Jacob Peterson's...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe how overrated JDG has become on here he can be a good piece on a team but if you honestly expect him to be a difference maker or game changer than you are seriously deluded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serb_Star View Post
    I can't believe how overrated JDG has become on here he can be a good piece on a team but if you honestly expect him to be a difference maker or game changer than you are seriously deluded.
    Couldn't disagree more. The right DM is absolutely crucial in the system we are trying to run and De Guzman has all the qualities that we need for this role. It's not like putting JDG out there is a miracle cure for all that ails TFC, but if you think he can't be a difference maker in the right system you're the one who's deluded.

Of course, De Guzman just became a shit footballer over the past couple years, totally forgot how to play the game.... nothing to do with the fact he came to a team that doesn't know how to play the game. It's also a coincidence how many players are terrible at TFC, but play amazing after they leave, nothing to do with tactical inefficiencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this constant "attractive attacking football" spin.

like you need to define this as a system? EVERY club wants to 'play attractive attacking football' its the holy fucking grail.

show me a club that proclaims itself to play 'ugly, defensive football' and I'll stop regarding everything that comes from FO these days as no-substance 'spin'

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LOL, I agree.

Why not just call it 'possession football' or just say 'we want to play with the football on the ground' instead of calling it "total football".

No one really plays total football anymore. Barcelona plays their own version that is based on the original that was developed by Cruyff but even then it's not really total football in its purest sense.

In reality as long as it isn't negative football like we saw in Euro '04 or Preki ball, I'll be happy with some winning football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

like you need to define this as a system? EVERY club wants to 'play attractive attacking football' its the holy fucking grail.

show me a club that proclaims itself to play 'ugly, defensive football' and I'll stop regarding everything that comes from FO these days as no-substance 'spin'
    Well, if you watch the way we're playing and the things we're working on, there is a very clear system being put in place. The attractive part of it will be a fair ways away, but that doesn't change the tactical set up, which I believe is what this thread is about. Style, tactics...

You have to look no further than every time Frei gets the ball, our centre backs push out wide to recieve the ball, our full backs move forward, and our DM drops into the middle to create an available outlet pass. It's clearly not working right now, but where's it breaking down? Our midfield, where our defensive possession needs to be turned into attack with quick short passing, and good, positive movement is key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's talking about "attractive attacking football" anyways??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    No one really plays total football anymore. Barcelona plays their own version that is based on the original that was developed by Cruyff but even then it's not really total football in its purest sense.
    Sure it is, being that one of the main tenets of Total Football is flexibility and versatility, the style itself should change with the time, considering Cruyff's version was his own version based on the original developed by Rinus Michels.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro118 View Post
    Well, if you watch the way we're playing and the things we're working on, there is a very clear system being put in place. The attractive part of it will be a fair ways away, but that doesn't change the tactical set up, which I believe is what this thread is about. Style, tactics...

You have to look no further than every time Frei gets the ball, our centre backs push out wide to recieve the ball, our full backs move forward, and our DM drops into the middle to create an available outlet pass. It's clearly not working right now, but where's it breaking down? Our midfield, where our defensive possession needs to be turned into attack with quick short passing, and good, positive movement is key.
    and that's why de guzman will be crucial. Is he going to turn us into world beaters, or even mls beaters? nope, but he'll definitely have a positive effect, getting into space to receive a pass, then keeping possession with simple short passes should be right up his alley. It obviously depends on the movement of others, if there's noone available for a pass, he'll look as bad as our defenders look with no-one to pass to, but he'll definitely be an upgrade, at the very least he'll make the first step from defence to midfield easier for cann and co.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure it is, being that one of the main tenets of Total Football is flexibility and versatility, the style itself should change with the time, considering Cruyff's version was his own version based on the original developed by Rinus Michels.
    ... Who was in turn influenced by Jack Reynolds, Ajax manager for most of the years from 1915 to 1947. He in turn was influenced by the Austrian NT in the early 1930's, and Michels may have been influenced by the Hungarian NT in the 1950's (although they didn't play 4-3-3, but 4-2-4).

So Total Football has been a developing form of play that came from several different sources, and it's principles still live on, even if the term is less used nowadays ("Tiki-Taka" is what Barcelona uses).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ... Who was in turn influenced by Jack Reynolds, Ajax manager for most of the years from 1915 to 1947. He in turn was influenced by the Austrian NT in the early 1930's, and Michels may have been influenced by the Hungarian NT in the 1950's (although they didn't play 4-3-3, but 4-2-4).

So Total Football has been a developing form of play that came from several different sources, and it's principles still live on, even if the term is less used nowadays ("Tiki-Taka" is what Barcelona uses).
    This doesn't dispute what I said, at all.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't dispute what I said, at all.
    I'm just adding more information. Why does every post on this board have to be a dispute?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm just adding more information. Why does every post on this board have to be a dispute?
    LOL, I read your post as a "correction" as opposed to discussion, my bad.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So why can't TFC's brand total football? When in reality it should be Winter football. LOL

It's like Dutch football automatically = Total football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have very deliberately not referred to TFC tactics as Total Football. I've just been talking about the tactical set up we've been using this preseason. Who cares what we call it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not saying you are. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there was one comment about "constant attractive attacking football spin" and yours about total football/winterball, I assumed you guys must have been talking to me, cause nobody has mentioned either of those things, that's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's talking about "attractive attacking football" anyways??
    I must have made that up......

Nobody's been harping on about 'attractive attacking football' for the last three months.

My mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

This is clearly a response to my post about tactics.
    Last edited by Jeffro; 02-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is clearly a response to my post about tactics.
    It absolutely is not, i didnt even read your post.

The post was an entry to the thread post, concerning the purported 'dutch style' of playing that's been talked about on here since Winter's appointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you didn't read the OP either, since he was saying it won't work lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you didn't read the OP either, since he was saying it won't work lol
    I think youre looking for a pissing match.

not interested.

I read the OP's post, and a few that followed, and added a general comment. finish.