Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not looking for a pissing match, I just wanted to talk tactics and it seemed like your post was a response to mine, moving on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with the cb's being the clutch pin in this system. I've been a barca fan for over a decade now, and to me the 3 clutch points are the holding mid shutting down the middle, right and left backs providing key options/service and immediately tracking back and the final one is immediately closing down the ball in the opponents half. having the dynamic position interchanging is good, but on average isn't the big deal. i rairly see puyol and pique pushing all the way to the 18 yard box... their key role is being confident and passing to the mids/back in their own half. that's something i feel comfortable that atakora and cann will get.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    if we still had Braz and Reda I think they could show the Dutch a thing or two about total football
    now I know you are loopey..........OMG, please I hope this in humour.........so everyone here expects us to jump in and conquer the world?....We are seeing what is needed and slowly Winter will teach and import the players he would like,......and this will NOT be overnight....if progress is to be made the warts have to be opened wide............nothing great was ever developed without patience,,,,,AND in the future our Academy who are learning this skilled football will be THE deciding edge...., for the long term.....It is the only way to have long term success in the MLS. I am looking forward to watching the development.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    now I know you are loopey..........OMG, please I hope this in humour.........so everyone here expects us to jump in and conquer the world?....We are seeing what is needed and slowly Winter will teach and import the players he would like,......and this will NOT be overnight....if progress is to be made the warts have to be opened wide............nothing great was ever developed without patience,,,,,AND in the future our Academy who are learning this skilled football will be THE deciding edge...., for the long term.....It is the only way to have long term success in the MLS. I am looking forward to watching the development.
    this!!

completely agree - this will take time - build systematically from the academy - a philosophy, a system that will be passed down decade to decade....f' the draft build from the community - long term gain and we will develop a strong consistent local team and national team....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    and that's why de guzman will be crucial. Is he going to turn us into world beaters, or even mls beaters? nope, but he'll definitely have a positive effect, getting into space to receive a pass, then keeping possession with simple short passes should be right up his alley.
    DeGuzman getting into space would require him to actually run once in a awhile. Apart from Mista, JDG was the slowest player on the team last year (MLSE having apparently instituted a unique scheme which linked pay inversely to pace).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Gramsci View Post
    DeGuzman getting into space would require him to actually run once in a awhile. Apart from Mista, JDG was the slowest player on the team last year (MLSE having apparently instituted a unique scheme which linked pay inversely to pace).
    Actually, his lack of pace showed only because of the styles we were playing (first English long-ball, then Prekiball).

In the Spanish style (which comes from the Dutch style), the HM plays "smart" rather than athletic. It's more like chess than like a sprint. In watching JDG over this time, I'd say he's more than capable of that. He's always thinking several moves ahead.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that only works if both sides are playing the same game. The North American game puts a greater premium on athleticism and a lesser one on skill than does the Spanish one. No matter how smart he may be (my assessment isn't as generous as yours), JDG will lose every time against hustling, box-to-box midfelders because they can close down space against him very effectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm excited to see how this team will be built over the next few seasons. The path they have charted doesn't seem to be one that will deliver quick success but I think it is a path that makes sense in the long term. It will be interesting to see how Winter adapts his system over time. I think his success will be determined based on how he adapts his system to the North American game.

He won't succeed if he just imposes his system without regard for the the physicality of the league and the type of players available in the short term and types of players the academy can develop in the longer term.

The end result should be some sort of adapted/hybrid system... but it will take some time and some failuers along the way to get there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, outside Barcelona, I'm not sure many Spaniards would accept that their football is Dutch in style. The Basque country and Andalusian teams wouldn't. Real Madrid neither, I think.