Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC (Dutch) Style of Playing

TFC are playing a 4-3-3 formation influenced by their new coach Winter as the TFC (Dutch) style of playing. I watched the two games on line from Orlando and have come to the conclusion that TFC don't have the fullbacks and centre backs to play this style. In order for this style of play to work, your centre backs must have offensive flair. Cann has no offensive style and Attakora has minimal. As for the left and right backs, the starters have not been determined but from what I saw in the Orlando games, I didn't see much progress from last year from our left and right backs. The left and right backs must be more involved in the offense. They must help the midfielders and the forwards in the attacking half of the field. I did not see much of that in the Orlando games. I am sorry to say this but either Cann or Attakora can't be a starter for the new playing style to be effective. We need a centre fullback that has some offensive side to his game to complement either Cann or Attakora which have limited offensive capabilities. As for the left and right backs, hopefully two can be found from the trialists and perhaps from Ashton Morgan and our first rounf draft choice. Hope they fix the back four soon or this will be another long season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeGuzman will do wonders for this system this year ..

Ola Guzman

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't think of one natural CB in MLS that's comfortable with offensive skills. Most are converted CBs or CB being a secondary position, not natural.

Basically, Rafa Marquez, Geoff Cameron, Adrian Serioux. That Alain Rochat guy looks pretty good for passing too

I'm more worried about fullbacks than CBs who can move the ball TBH
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I can't think of one natural CB in MLS that's comfortable with offensive skills. Most are converted CBs or CB being a secondary position, not natural.

Basically, Rafa Marquez, Geoff Cameron, Adrian Serioux. That Alain Rochat guy looks pretty good for passing too

Agreed. Our CBs are serviceable, not great but they work.

Our RB/LB situation is a fucking disaster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont forget we had alot of trialists on the field as well as dudes out of position, that contributed to what we saw yesterday

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OurGame View Post
    DeGuzman will do wonders for this system this year ..

Ola Guzman
    You're about the tenth person to make that comment, so I'm not picking on you here, but it is patently fucking ridiculous.

If anyone here thinks that DeGuzman alone will somehow make the team work, that he will be some sort of link that makes it all sing, you're dreaming.

In order for DeGuzman to be effective, the back line has to work. The back, right now, does not work. Cann and Nana are OK, but they are not great players. There has to be consistent strength from the keeper all the way out to the forwards for this system to work, and right now, it simply doesn't.

That's why it's called TOTAL football (even though what we're trying to play is not total football, technically). Everyone has to be on the same page for it to work, not just DeGuzman.

You guys are talking about back halves who need to have offensive flair. Dudes, our back line is like swiss cheese. They're having a hard time DEFENDING, never mind building up an attack.

I'm starting to worry that all this focus on an attractive, attacking style of play (which I have yet to see, unless you consider Frei touching the ball every 10 seconds "attractive") is taking away from badly needed work that still needs to be done on our defence.

DeGuzman doesn't solve our defensive woes (look at last season) nor will he be the magic key to our offence.

Somebody said this when Winter was signed at first, and I think it's right: TFC is used to low-scoring losses under Preki. Now, we're going to get used to high-scoring losses under Winter. Hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said DangerRed. Couldn't have put it better myself. I know that for a fact, because in trying to communicate that myself, nobody seems to be understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with DangerRed on this one.

I'll add that when Deguzman is on the field and we lose it's because the players around him. When he's off the field it's because he's not on the field. Dear god when will people realize JDG isn't our saviour. He may end up being a small piece of it, but that's about it.

Anyways, as to the 4-3-3 formation and total football I'll judge when I see the starting 11 playing in the first few games of the season. We still have how many players to sign? I would think more signings are coming and some of those include starting positions. Impossible to judge at this point whether Winter's system will work with the players he has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The boys failed to score against a team that is less familiar then we are, and is set to play 2 division below MLS. It should have been a win plan and simple.

But Winter get until March 19th to figure out what he is going to do. If we lose to Vancouver in an embarrassing fashion then I'll be steaming mad. I realize that we won't be competing really till next year with this format, but honestly. Dan Gargan needs to go. If he is still with the club beyond June I'll be surprised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe TFC needs to look at Real Salt Lake and see how their 4-3-3 system works... after all, that system works in MLS

then again, RSL plays helluva more conservative 4-3-3 than dutch total football

but it's more realistic look at 4-3-3 that works in MLS environment
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe TFC needs to look at Real Salt Lake and see how their 4-3-3 system works... after all, that system works in MLS

They've also amassed quite a bit of talent on the team.

We need some patience here, I think we've all got post traumatic stress disorder from four years of Mojo. It's going to take some time to get this to work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The boys failed to score against a team that is less familiar then we are, and is set to play 2 division below MLS. It should have been a win plan and simple.

Not entirely true. A lot of these dudes played for the austin aztex who came in second in the usl which was a second division league up until the nasl displaced them recently. Also they beat philly. I'm not saying I liked what I saw out there but there's a lot more going on than just playing a 3rd division team in a glorified friendly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys sure do panic like Monks seeing the Longships coming over the horizon, and you all try to over analyze each other, I'll keep my thoughts and actually watch what develops in the weeks to come and not hit the panic button and shit myself.

Cheers from Jamaica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we still had Braz and Reda I think they could show the Dutch a thing or two about total football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    You guys sure do panic like Monks seeing the Longships coming over the horizon, and you all try to over analyze each other, I'll keep my thoughts and actually watch what develops in the weeks to come and not hit the panic button and shit myself.

Cheers from Jamaica
    jerk......haha

Totally agree with you.... not going to panic just yet

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    You're about the tenth person to make that comment, so I'm not picking on you here, but it is patently fucking ridiculous.

If anyone here thinks that DeGuzman alone will somehow make the team work, that he will be some sort of link that makes it all sing, you're dreaming.

In order for DeGuzman to be effective, the back line has to work. The back, right now, does not work. Cann and Nana are OK, but they are not great players. There has to be consistent strength from the keeper all the way out to the forwards for this system to work, and right now, it simply doesn't.

That's why it's called TOTAL football (even though what we're trying to play is not total football, technically). Everyone has to be on the same page for it to work, not just DeGuzman.

You guys are talking about back halves who need to have offensive flair. Dudes, our back line is like swiss cheese. They're having a hard time DEFENDING, never mind building up an attack.

I'm starting to worry that all this focus on an attractive, attacking style of play (which I have yet to see, unless you consider Frei touching the ball every 10 seconds "attractive") is taking away from badly needed work that still needs to be done on our defence.

DeGuzman doesn't solve our defensive woes (look at last season) nor will he be the magic key to our offence.

Somebody said this when Winter was signed at first, and I think it's right: TFC is used to low-scoring losses under Preki. Now, we're going to get used to high-scoring losses under Winter. Hope I'm wrong.
    I hear ya / we will see what happens .. it will unfold one way or another

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Ream is!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They've also amassed quite a bit of talent on the team.

We need some patience here, I think we've all got post traumatic stress disorder from four years of Mojo. It's going to take some time to get this to work.
    And this started with day one of the day Jason Kreis took over as a coach. RSL in early years were TERRIBLE. they patiently added pieces over the years, got max out of utility MLS players, some really shrewd foreign signings and now they are one of the top contenders in MLS

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendrith View Post
    TFC are playing a 4-3-3 formation influenced by their new coach Winter as the TFC (Dutch) style of playing. I watched the two games on line from Orlando and have come to the conclusion that TFC don't have the fullbacks and centre backs to play this style. In order for this style of play to work, your centre backs must have offensive flair. Cann has no offensive style and Attakora has minimal. As for the left and right backs, the starters have not been determined but from what I saw in the Orlando games, I didn't see much progress from last year from our left and right backs. The left and right backs must be more involved in the offense. They must help the midfielders and the forwards in the attacking half of the field. I did not see much of that in the Orlando games. I am sorry to say this but either Cann or Attakora can't be a starter for the new playing style to be effective. We need a centre fullback that has some offensive side to his game to complement either Cann or Attakora which have limited offensive capabilities. As for the left and right backs, hopefully two can be found from the trialists and perhaps from Ashton Morgan and our first rounf draft choice. Hope they fix the back four soon or this will be another long season.
    So in two meaningless games you analyzed this team and have a better understanding than a guy who was in numerous WC and Euro Finals, and been the head of the club and dissected it repeatedly over the past 2 months.
    God I love this board and its experts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what this board is for. To give opinions and updates. My opinion is if Cann and Attakora are the starting fullbacks, we are for a long season. I may be wrong but I may also be right, so that give me attitide until the season actually starts and we see who the starters are etc.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Prediction:

TFC's lineup at the end of the season will be a lot different than the lineup that starts the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what this board is for. To give opinions and updates. My opinion is if Cann and Attakora are the starting fullbacks, we are for a long season. I may be wrong but I may also be right, so that give me attitide until the season actually starts and we see who the starters are etc.
    i think you can sleep soundly knowing that Cann and Attakora won't be the starting fullbacks on the 19th

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our fullback line has been brutal the last few seasons and that includes this year.They are medicore at defending and are not very comfortable on the ball.We seem to think that Attakora is the answer.I think the ducth guy who started a cm then dropped back for him in the second half did a better job of passing the ball.I didn`t see anyone on the outside backs that were better then what we had last year.We can`t be passing the ball aroud the back in our defensive third and continue to make the mistakes we do.I am sure our coaches have a differant opinion of MLS after this weekend and hopefully know what type of players we need.I get akick out of people saying that degusman is going to be the answer.He has not done anything in the league yet.Mero sure has not had an impact in the games that i watched for someone who wants a contract raise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry i had to laugh

I am not sure who will play left back :s, but watching Omphroy on the right side; his short passing looks like it needs work, but I think every single cross that he sent into the box the past two games were fairly dangerous...he's got some good swirve on those crosses and once the boys up front get use to them, they can do some serious danger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you can sleep soundly knowing that Cann and Attakora won't be the starting fullbacks on the 19th
    LOL, the comment you quoted deserves a few of these:

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Omphroy isn't starter material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Nor should he be at this moment, give him so reserve games, and next year he may very well be... nana wasn't a starter either when he got here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But he will be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is clearly not enough talent on this team to win this year. Look at the Sounders, Galaxy and the Rapids. Loaded with talent. Wild card playoff birth at best, hopefully a DP contract mid season, but i am not hopeful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But.... people need to realize RSL wasn't what it is today in spring training when Jason Kreis started as coach.

RSL was shitty in its first season with Kreis, as he began to formulate what is now a very powerful MLS team.