Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLS Ad during the Leafs/Islanders

I was watching the Leafs / Islanders game last night, and could have sworn I saw the MLS logo. After a few more minutes, sure enough, there was an ad for Montreal 2012 on the boards. This is an ODD place to advertise.

Pics are from a Sens game, but it was the same ad.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hockey is Montreal's #1 sport by a long-shot. Why not advertise where sports fans are going to be watching?

I suspect that their marketing research has shown that there are a lot of Euro football followers in Montreal who also like hockey.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wasn't there already a thread about this a while back? oh well. fuck the impact.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Hockey is Montreal's #1 sport by a long-shot. Why not advertise where sports fans are going to be watching?

I suspect that their marketing research has shown that there are a lot of Euro football followers in Montreal who also like hockey.
    I realize there are a lot of hockey nuts in Montreal, but would they really watch a Leafs/Islander's game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I realize there are a lot of hockey nuts in Montreal, but would they really watch a Leafs/Islander's game?
    It actually does make a lot of sense if it's just there for Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto. I'm sure the LimpAct want to tap Ottawa for their fan base. Just odd seeing it at a hockey game. Especially a Leafs/Islanders.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 111_DrummerBoy View Post
    I'm sure the LimpAct want to tap Ottawa for their fan base.
    totally.

I was in Gatineau (aka Hull) back in 2007, and there was a massive Carlsberg - Impact promotion going on in the beer stores. If you bought a sixpack of Carlsberg, it came in a mini-cooler with the Impact players and logos on it.

I'm completely sure that Saputo thinks that All of Quebec will support the impact, if only to stick it to Toronto (and by proxy, english canada). It only makes sence that he would also aim for Ottawa, who is very happy sticking it to Toronto whenever possible.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read about this a while ago, it was put there for a habs-islanders game and not removed since the ad space was dirt cheap

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    read about this a while ago, it was put there for a habs-islanders game and not removed since the ad space was dirt cheap
    That makes sense, then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Was that the game where all the busloads of people went from Quebec to New York to show how much they want the Nordigues back?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Makes sense to me. You advertise where people are watching, and Quebec/Canada watches hockey.

I don't know how effective a plan to promote the Impact in Ottawa will be, or outside Montreal for that matter, but Saputo looks like he wants to go full-board with the club so I expect to see more of this as 2012 approaches.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the game was on sportsnet Ontario, it may not even have been viewable in Montreal. Montreal soccer ad in Long Island = weird.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I don't know how effective a plan to promote the Impact in Ottawa will be, or outside Montreal for that matter, but Saputo looks like he wants to go full-board with the club so I expect to see more of this as 2012 approaches.
    I mentioned it in an earlier post - the impact have been promoting their brand across quebec for many years now. To think of their fanbase as Montreal-specific would be a mistake.

as for ottawa, I think the 'An enemy of my enemy is my friend' would have some Ottawa people cheer for anyone over Toronto
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I mentioned it in an earlier post - the impact have been promoting their brand across quebec for many years now. To think of their fanbase as Montreal-specific would be a mistake.

as for ottawa, I think the 'An enemy of my enemy is my friend' would have some Ottawa people cheer for anyone over Toronto
    Yeah, they sure want to be Quebec's team. Look at their uniforms. And they have the Trois Riviere Attak (or however they spell it).

And chances are buying ad space on the boards in Long Island for the season costs about the same as it does for a single game at the ACC - they probably could only buy it for the whole season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember the Pizza Pizza ad that was along the rink boards at Anaheim's Honda Center during the 2007 Stanley Cup Final? Now THAT was strange to see.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Anyone remember the Pizza Pizza ad that was along the rink boards at Anaheim's Honda Center during the 2007 Stanley Cup Final? Now THAT was strange to see.
    Sometimes during the playoffs and national games (in the US), they'll green screen a few of the ads to make extra money.

That's what I thought this was at first.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    If the game was on sportsnet Ontario, it may not even have been viewable in Montreal. Montreal soccer ad in Long Island = weird.
    I'd like to confirm that i watched the Leafs Islanders game last night at work in downtown Montreal on Sportsnet Ontario.

It must have been placed there as another member had indicated since the add space is so cheap. The vinyl was still in possession of the workers there since the Habs Islanders game last month.
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure the ads have been up since the start of the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    ^ Was that the game where all the busloads of people went from Quebec to New York to show how much they want the Nordigues back?
    No... it's been there much longer.... Plus, I don't think the Quebec City fans are big Montreal supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 111_DrummerBoy View Post
    Sometimes during the playoffs and national games (in the US), they'll green screen a few of the ads to make extra money.

That's what I thought this was at first.
    Yeah, the people in the arena occasionally don't see what we see. During the playoffs, the hockey night in Canada logo is always on those boards, even if it's in an American arena.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Canada has ads at the Prudential Center in Newark.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also could be just an MLS awareness ad for Ottawans. Even if they don't have an allegiance either way, they might wanna scoot on over on the highway to catch Thierry Henry at Montreal. I'm gonna assume the Ottawa TFC fans will also make a journey to see TFC up there or just go there to catch hot MLS action in person.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for ottawa, I think the 'An enemy of my enemy is my friend' would have some Ottawa people cheer for anyone over Toronto
    Yes, but you'll note I was musing on how effective that will end up being. I know they are wanting to get the whole province onboard. Heck, I'm sure Saputo wants every Canadian outside the GTA following his club. I'm just not sure how successful they will be with that, but like you mentioned, "An enemy of my enemy is my friend" is an obvious mentality the club will want to promote to some.

In all honesty, the Impact seem to be putting their name out there a lot more than Toronto ever did. I don't recall any TFC billboards or ads ever put up out here in Oshawa, but I have seen the Impact name plastered all over Quebec. Will be very interesting to see how their fanbase stacks up to ours once they start playing.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every football league in the world which has a big following also has big personalities with big ideas. That is why we could not be any more pleased with the addition of Montreal and Montreal owner Joey Saputo to the league. 2012 may still seem a long way off but Saputo, not known for thinking small already has big plans for the club.
    He appears to have spared no expense hitting the ground running to promote the team according what we’ve learned from a reader below:
    The following photo and letter was sent to us by a loyal MLSR reader in the excellent Canadian province of Quebec:
    Hi, I just wanted to share with you guys a funny piece of information I learned about the Montreal Impact. The owner Joey Saputo actually went out and paid the NHL’s New York Islanders to put an ad on their hockey rink saying “MTL MLS 2012″. The contract
    is for 6 games, the Islanders has to show the advertisement during 2 games against the Montreal Canadiens, 2 games against de Toronto Maple Leafs and 2 games against the Ottawa Senators! It’s quite a strange idea to put an advertisement in New York City instead of in the Bell Center where the Montreal Canadiens play! Saputo said that the Bell Center’s boards were filled for the season so he had to find somewhere else. I went to look at the highlights from the game between the montreal canadiens and the New York Islanders played in New York on October 29th and I made a print screen of the board. I’ve attached the photo to this email. Enjoy!
    Keep up the good work!
    What do you think? We’d be very curious to hear from people in Montreal.