Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've seen first hand that there is such thing as fake noise. And the fake noise detracts from, and prevents the growth of, authentic noise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    For what a minute, maybe 2 at very max?

Surely you can come up with a better example than that.
    Happens about 5 times during a match, now you're up around 6-10 minutes. There's also counting down from 10 to sing Danny Dichio, although that one seems to have died.

All of that stuff is fine, if that's how people want to spend their saturday afternoon then more power to them. But they shouldn't get bent out of shape when people arrive at the conclusion that a lot of fans are not there for the football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fascinating articles and responses.

soccer is such a wonderful and beautiful game wherever and whenever it is played.

im really glad we have a team to experience all the ups and downs, pros and cons of being football fanatics.

ive played the game a real long time - and watching it on a saturday aft with all the action before, during and after is like nothing else.

having seen some of the frighteningly exhilirating versions of this game abroad doesn't make my experience here any less. in fact it simply makes me thankful to have it here at all.

Now if only these g****m f***king TFC m************S can win more games and get to the playoffs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    what is the street behind the south end called??

you could be the (insert street name here) ST hooligans
    There's something about "Princes' Boulevard Hooligans" that doesn't instill fear.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Yup everyone should just sit down, stuff themselves with chip butty and have that hush hush tut-tut stuffy mentality.

Lets take a handful of internet nerds or non-racist skinheads and paint everyone with that brush. Nice journalism. He points out that its nothing like In England, but almost glorifies that.

In fact many people who go are working class people, similar to England, but there are no traveling gangs wanting to fight. Also, there are fights at every sporting event, Argos and Ticats Ive seen one almost every game. Montreal and Toronto. People who want to fight will find other people who want to fight. Did he really think they were going to attack a couple? Seriously?

Even more funny is how the author almost points out how great the homecoming party was that trashed the city (he doesnt think there were fights, swearing and problems? OU makes Queens look like a tea party). This guy is an idiot.

I go to the games to the support the club. Thats that. What I miss Ill catch on the replay. I can actually watch the tactics and players then, formulate an educated opinion instead of nerding out on the net hoping that if I post 1000s of times my view will be taken as gospel.

There are sections to chill, relax and stuff your face and sections to lets go fucking mental, la la la la, as their should be.

And do not worry, MLSE will be pricing out the working class as soon as they can. The stuffys will have their Morgue by the Bay then, just like the one on Bay.
    Agreed JDot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Like the voice at the beginning says "Yes it was amazing" and I wish I hadn't been so drunk that I could remember most of the 2nd half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are at our best when we are a giant Red Horde destroying everything in our path.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    I think we are at our best when we are a giant Red Horde destroying everything in our path.
    .....And not stopping to think whether we are "authentic" or not and worrying about all the "fake noise" we make?

I'd have to agree with you Billy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Like the voice at the beginning says "Yes it was amazing" and I wish I hadn't been so drunk that I could remember most of the 2nd half.
    Indeed it was and I was smack dab in the middle of it!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iheartdero View Post
    I dont understand why people are reacting negatively to this article. He doesnt make any assumptions really, other than refering to shaved headed bot wearing people as skinheads. Other than that he uses quotes and references to actual moments he witnessed. Sure he wrote it from a point of view but that point of view is backed by his personal experience. Journalism isnt meant to be a list of pros and cons, it is meant to spark discussion and research. And it expects its audience to be intelligent enough to not take it as gospel. He also makes a lot of good points. In showing how the "hooligans" aren't actually hooligans, they only dress like them, he hits the nail on the head. Are you guys honestly trying to tell me you havent seen it at BMO, even as a fringe? We need to remember we are 4 years old, and that context is important. Passion is great, but pretending to be a storied club is a role play, and I'll never understand for the life of me ever why anyone ever would go to a football game to not watch football. But that's just a difference of opinion I guess, and is why I'll always steer clear of the supporter group sections.

But to ignore this article as an attack, something it isnt, is a waste of energy. Also I dont know where in the article he claims the English are the be all and end all. Maybe we read different articles.
    How could people NOT take react negatively with that article? I have my doubts that you've read the whole thing, because his bias and derision are so obvious. In no way does he ever give the impression he was all that interested in really finding out what the Union Supporters were about and what they do - rather, it certainly sounds like he was just writing to affirm his believe that whatever Americans do will always be inherently stupid and "wrong".

If he was trying to be honest, he wouldn't be so contradictory which is exactly why so many have a problem with the article. One moment he's implying the group are a bunch of Euro-poseurs for copying the songs and flags from England, the next minute he's saying how silly it is when they partake in their own American traditions. He's made it a no-win situation for the Philly Supporters, and that's what makes it a bad article.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-07-2011 at 09:03 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    .....And not stopping to think whether we are "authentic" or not and worrying about all the "fake noise" we make?

I'd have to agree with you Billy.
    Very true. I guess if you're sitting around thinking you're authentic then you're probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm English, I don't think its fake. If you're bothered by what the Brits think its a fair chance you're trying too hard. Let's keep doing our thing. Like Chevy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Very true. I guess if you're sitting around thinking you're authentic then you're probably not.
    Real support is when it hurts when you lose. If people want to go to games to drunk, that's fine, it's their call, at least its people through the gates. Go to any stadium in the world and about 60% are "true" fans. The rest are tag-alongs but who cares?

If you're a real fan you shouldn't care what people think about you or your team. And when you score, hugging complete strangers is a great thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the article is fine. There's no objective perspective possible on supporters in NA. It's just one view on a group of supporters. It's not "wrong" since there's no "right".

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, if you're a Red Patch Boy, you're a supporter of TFC first. I like going to watch the match itself. Chanting and all is fun, but in my opinion, it's secondary. I like 112, but sometimes, I go to 116 to sit an watch the match, tactics, and all because I just can't do that in 112. It is not right or wrong, it just is what it is.

I'm sure we can all come to a compromise in our individual view of support.
    ĄVamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    Personally, if you're a Red Patch Boy, you're a supporter of TFC first. I like going to watch the match itself. Chanting and all is fun, but in my opinion, it's secondary. I like 112, but sometimes, I go to 116 to sit an watch the match, tactics, and all because I just can't do that in 112. It is not right or wrong, it just is what it is.

I typically stand at the top of 110 when I'm at matches, and I watch and sing the game at the same time. Nobody says you have to stop singing if you want to watch a match and vice versa. I know what people are getting at here, but really, it's possible to sing and watch the match at the same time...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    i think the article is fine. There's no objective perspective possible on supporters in NA. It's just one view on a group of supporters. It's not "wrong" since there's no "right".

... since there is no objective perspective on the RPB as supporters in North America, then I suppose you would think that there was nothing wrong with those articles that painted us as hooligans in Columbus?

I think most members would hasten to disagree with you on that point. Most of us were outraged by that insinuation. The S.O.B.'s are no different in that respect. Unfair is unfair.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post

I agree with this. Also rhere has to be a way of doing both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not that hard,

im not saying im the best supporter but i am able to wave a giant flag and i still see most of the match.

there are times that i miss certian points ( like what the players are doing right after a goal) but i understand that being a supporter means you will not see every second of action.

the only people i know of that would miss alot fo the match are the drummer and the capo, they deserve props for doing that.

Ive seen many people miss far more action because of going for beers and talking on there cellphones or texting than i see people turned around in 112

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    I typically stand at the top of 110 when I'm at matches, and I watch and sing the game at the same time. Nobody says you have to stop singing if you want to watch a match and vice versa. I know what people are getting at here, but really, it's possible to sing and watch the match at the same time...
    yup...singing/watching, .... floating in and out of both as one sees fit is how I roll...lol....but the only thing that is not fun imho, are people usually drunk, showing off, for their friends, never singing with others, or worse purposely out of sync, and trying to be the centre of attention for their tourist friends....that used to happen at the top of 111.......but I believe this year, many peers have bought up those tourist seats...and could be willing to contribute to the overall fun.......yes because over in 110 they had it going
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is this ridiculous article getting any attention whatsoever... I will agree with a few points in it but the vast majority of the article is 100% useless drivel. I read this earlier in the day before it was posted here and had a laugh at how stupid it was and wish I had those few mins of my life I took to read it back.

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    it's not that hard,

im not saying im the best supporter but i am able to wave a giant flag and i still see most of the match.

there are times that i miss certian points ( like what the players are doing right after a goal) but i understand that being a supporter means you will not see every second of action.

the only people i know of that would miss alot fo the match are the drummer and the capo, they deserve props for doing that.

Ive seen many people miss far more action because of going for beers and talking on there cellphones or texting than i see people turned around in 112
    All great and valid points Pat.. funny how a guy waving a massive flag on a 10ft pole has absolutely no problems following whats going on and is able to watch the match and stands in a supporter section (112)

don't forget the ppl that are making plans of where they are going that night and what they have planned for the rest of the weekend and such.

My sister wanted to punch 2 chicks in the back of their heads 1 time cause they spent the first 20 mins looking at pics on each others phones without once looking at the field... no joke.

I wont say more on the subject as it will only cause friction here... but this kind of stuff is far too often seen @ BMO and in 'supporters sections' as I use the term loosely
    Last edited by BeerBaron95; 02-08-2011 at 05:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Yep.

People should see me walk and chew gum at the same time. Fascinating talent. I've even learned to tie my shoe while talking on the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yep.

People should see me walk and chew gum at the same time. Fascinating talent. I've even learned to tie my shoe while talking on the phone.
    Haha! Spot on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is many teams around the world big or small where the atmosphere takes a bit away from actually watching the game. Just look at many teams such as Boca Juniors, River Plate, Urawa Reds, Iris, St.pauli, Merseille, AC Milan exc.....they got so many flags, flares, streamers, banners and crazyness going on at the stadiums thats its inpossible to see everything, but at the same time those fans love there teams, celebrate there team, live for there teams and go mental at everygame and make it look like one hell of a party to be at. But no one ever goes and tells these teams fans off for doing so.
    Last edited by james; 02-13-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    there is many teams around the world big or small where the atmosphere takes a bit away from actually watching the game. Just look at many teams such as Boca Juniors, River Plate, Urawa Reds, Iris, St.pauli, Merseille, AC Milan exc.....they got so many flags, flares, streamers, banners and crazyness going on at the stadiums thats its inpossible to see everything, but at the same time those fans love there teams, celebrate there team, live for there teams and go mental at everygame and make it look like one hell of a party to be at. But no one ever goes and tells these teams fans off for doing so.

100% correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This author has never played competitive then. There's nothing better than the feeling of the 12th man on the pitch when you're morally down and your team needs that slight pickup that your captain struggles to do. Supporters should never quit what they do. This guy should go back to playing baseball or basketball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SOB's responded to the GQ article

http://www.matchfitusa.com/2011/02/r...en-member.html