Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the acquisition of MLS, Euro 2012 and 2016, and Champions League back on the network this means that TSN will start to improve soccer coverage.

Yes I think some will be on TSN2 but big games (Season Openner, Finale, LA, NYRB, VAN, and MTL) will be on the main network plus All Star and MLS Cup.
    Plus, we'll actually start to see more MLS since TSN picked it up in time for 3 canadian teams
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CFL is a big property for TSN, the partnership between the the two had been nothing but good, especially since TSN has become the one rights deal for the league.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people understand what TSN/TSN2 is buying.

They are buying the MLS rights for 1 national game a week. The remainder of local TFC or Vancouver games will be on a regional network.

If for example TSN is broadcasting a Vancouver vs. L.A. game one week that means you'll likely still find TFC vs. whoever game on Sportsnet Ontario or GolTV.

TSN is simply buying the big games and the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serb_Star View Post
    It's going to be hilarious when we miss the start of the TFC game because curling still hasn't finished
    Actually, more like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Serb_Star View Post
    TSN is a dedicated hockey network, they could care less about other sports.
    Sportsnet is also a dedicated hockey network. I've always felt there was slightly more emphasis on the game than on TSN. Of course, I've felt SN was both a hockey and mixed martial arts network for some time now, but that's just my opinion.

The more I think about it, and with what Cowboy905 just explained to us, this is looking more and more like a not very good thing for MLS. Especially if they dump the games on TSN2.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleOzzy View Post
    I don't think people understand what TSN/TSN2 is buying.

They are buying the MLS rights for 1 national game a week. The remainder of local TFC or Vancouver games will be on a regional network.

If for example TSN is broadcasting a Vancouver vs. L.A. game one week that means you'll likely still find TFC vs. whoever game on Sportsnet Ontario or GolTV.

TSN is simply buying the big games and the playoffs.
    Plus they are buying the mid-week game. Which in all honesty will be a feed of the ESPN production.
    Needless to say, with the expansion of the season to 34 games you are still talking about 12-15 TFC games on TSN (TSN2 more likely).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article in today's Globe and Mail about TSN buying MLS TV rights:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1891351/

Found this interesting: How will TSN buy local rights if their a national network:

"Local rights to expansion Vancouver (2011) and Montreal (2012) are separately negotiated. But the same sources say TSN has the inside track there, too."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about TFC's radio rights. With the FAN being owned by Rogers, does that mean that they won't broadcast TFC games because they lost the TV rights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/ARSENAL View Post
    What about TFC's radio rights. With the FAN being owned by Rogers, does that mean that they won't broadcast TFC games because they lost the TV rights?
    Possibly. However TSN is starting a radio network shortly. 1050 CHUM will be the Toronto affiliate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TSN Radio would be the ideal home for the Reds and Argonauts, great opportunities for cross promotion.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Possibly. However TSN is starting a radio network shortly. 1050 CHUM will be the Toronto affiliate.
    They did that back about 9-10 yrs ago. Utterly failed.
    FAN590 is a great sports radio station. Tough nut to crack, TSN or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I think TSN Radio would be the ideal home for the Reds and Argonauts, great opportunities for cross promotion.
    You mean like playing at the same stadium???

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Better use for that old station than simply relaying CP/24.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part of this that sucks for me, is that I have personally boycotted TSN for the last 5 years for their lack of respect of soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    The part of this that sucks for me, is that I have personally boycotted TSN for the last 5 years for their lack of respect of soccer.
    ^ but does this not change since they outbid CBC and Rogers, and put some focus into soccer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Granted, TSN has provided minimal coverage of TFC and MLS the last few years. However, I wouldn't suggest they had a lack of respect for soccer. I have relied exclusively on TSN simulcasts for live coverage of major competitions such as UEFA Champions League, World Cup, and Euro. I have no doubt that this deal will result in increased exposure for TFC with the club having a much higher profile on TSN/TSN2, SporstCentre, and TSN's website...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 02-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Granted, TSN has provided minimal coverage of TFC and MLS the last few years. However, I wouldn't suggest they had a lack of respect for soccer. I have relied exclusively on TSN simulcasts for live covergage of major competitions such as UEFA Champions League, World Cup, and Euro. I have no doubt that this deal will result in increased exposure for TFC with the club having a much higher profile on TSN/TSN2, SporstCentre, and TSN's website...
    Yes and they have had delayed starts of CL because of curling and years back missed 60 minutes of WC qualifiers for a Jay game running late. Now that they have control of it and a vested interest in CFL, this might not be done for the right reason. I hope I am wrong. Oh and they would show WC highlights with the clowns making the typical, look at the dive, oh 1-0 soreline type comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    I'm in marketing, and I can safely say I have no idea what this means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    If you're in the US now, I guess at least you can watch almost all the TFC games on MLS Match Center? The price isn't bad for a good stream IMO, I think it's about $30 or $40 for the whole season. I suppose MLS Match Center would show TFC in the US, as long as it's not a US-nationally televised game on ESPN (which is only once or twice a year). I'm hoping that a game televised nationally on TSN or TSN2 in Canada, would not affect MLS streaming in the US -- although dumber things have happened...

I wish I could still get the Match Center stream, but TFC is totally blocked for everyone in Toronto and most of Ontario at least.
    it is really blocked for yous there Wtf that crazy..

i did get it last year for the away games since they are on different channels and i did come across a few games that were blocked so that stank but i most likely get it again now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't see the problem with this. I am sure it will be similar to what ESPN does in the US with their game of the week. I am sure Sportsnet, Gol TV and CBC will still broadcast games. Ok maybe not CBC.

Did TSN not start their MLS coverage already with the broadcast the the All-star game? DO not remember what the numbers were from the game.

Also I hate talking money b/c in life some people have more and others have less and others have none, but people not wanting to pay for Gol TV are missing out. Not sure what it costs with the different companies, but I have Shaw Direct and for Gol TV and Fox SPorts it is an extra $2.49 per month. I have Setanta as well and it is steep at $14.99 but Gol TV is worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah GolTV is well worth the money!! LaLiga and Bundesliga games!! for $3 bucks a month! cant go wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason this concerns me is the method TSN has used to make the WJHC and CFL so popular.. Hype, flashy irrelevant graphics, and lots of monster truck style yelling. This is what I hate about North Amercan sports broadcasts, and now it will be infiltrating my MLS.

Definitely a positive move for the league, though.

Can't wait for Perre mcGuire's MONSTER of the Game. :-(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    yeah GolTV is well worth the money!! LaLiga and Bundesliga games!! for $3 bucks a month! cant go wrong

Only problem is quality of broadcast blows....Bring in the HD and we're set.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    The reason this concerns me is the method TSN has used to make the WJHC and CFL so popular.. Hype, flashy irrelevant graphics, and lots of monster truck style yelling. This is what I hate about North Amercan sports broadcasts, and now it will be infiltrating my MLS.

Definitely a positive move for the league, though.

Can't wait for Perre mcGuire's MONSTER of the Game. :-(
    That's redundant.

Release....The Gargan!!!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I don't like TSN at all. This chance is their golden opportunity to prove me and all those like me who think they'll still give preferential coverage to off season leafs rumours wrong.
    wtf?

They're 100% hockey 24/7 during the season but once the season ends they go full throttle into the CFL, tennis, golf, etc. They don't do rumour shows and endless Leaf speculation in the summer .... that's more of a Sportsnet regional thing.

My main gripe with TSN is they don't show any additional supporting programming for sports other than hockey. They don't show any EPL shows, NBA shows, hell NFL, etc. It's only live events for sports other than hockey. But their HD signal is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    That's the tipping point for me - anyone know what they paid for the rights? If it was a lot, then we can ssume that they invested for the roght reasons and will want a return on that investment. If it was chicken feed to them, then Roogsy's concern above may be worryingly valid - kill the competition before it eats into their primary markets of other sports coverage.

If it was "chicken feed" then why didn't Rogers just outbid them? Rogers isn't broke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)