Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    TSN doesn't do anything half assed. As mentioned, the CFL and World Junior Championships are prime examples of the panache that the network is capable of lending to TFC broadcasts. If TSN plans on utilizing the ESPN model for MLS coverage, Canadian soccer fans are in for a treat...
    Yeah but you are equating TSN CFL to TSN2 MLS.
    CFL has been around a long time and they nurtured the property on a popular channel.
    Not so with TSN2. Also add in that MLS still has to be nurtured and some investment put into it (broadcast wise) - this means TSN to widen the scope and not TSN2.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    If TSN are going to bother to acquire the rights to MLS games, then they are now invested in trying to maximize their return on those rights. It's the same with the CFL - when TSN acquired the rights, all of a sudden they were presenting the CFL as though it was equal to the four big leagues.

Just to repeat what I said before, if they dedicate resources to it then yeah, TSN has the capability to enhance the game in Canada. They almost determine on their own what Canadians watch.

However, TSN has shown in the past to be reluctant to invest in soccer even when they have the rights to the top level soccer in the world (Champions League). You are assuming that TSN is "investing" in MLS in order to do what they did with the WJHC and CFL. It may wind up being that they bought MLS rights to keep it away from Sportsnet or to provide filler for TSN2, neither of which actually benefits the game in this country. I'd rather it be kept on Sportsnet if that's the case.

We will see what they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm this move worries me, yes they may pump more funds into MLS coverage but it is kind of sad how TSN have ignored MLS soccer so far. Regarding Sportsnet I have to agree about Dobson's poor quality while calling games although I don't mind soccer central. The addition of Vancouver does give TSN national coverage, what I don't want is to miss TFC games and with Vancouver onboard I can see them alternating much like Hockey coverage.

Right now with Gol TV, CBC and Sportsnet Ontario I don't miss a game, I really hope this will not change in the future.
    I am hoping that we can still see the away games in the US on Gol TV at the least.

It will be interesting to see who they have broadcast the games unlike the poster above I like Reed & Devos.
    Last edited by TFCwestcan; 02-01-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCwestcan View Post
    hmmm this move worries me on one hand, yes they may pump more funds into MLS coverage but it is kind of sad how they have almost ignored MLS soccer so far, I have to agree about Dobson calling games although I don't mind soccer central. I am wondering how it will change, the addition of Vancouver does give them the national coverage, what I don't want is missing TFC games to see Vancouver instead much like Hockey coverage. Right now with Gol TV, CBC and Sportsnet Ontario I don't miss a game, I really hope this will be the case in the future.

It will be interesting to see who they have broadcast the games unlike the poster above I like Nigel & Devos.
    Regional (local) rights games are still to be determined and up for grabs presently.
    TSN only has the national games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you only get channel 1-22 if you do not use a box and instead a converter?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    So you only get channel 1-22 if you do not use a box and instead a converter?
    Huh?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    no it's not basic cable ends at 22
    That's what I thought as well, based on this: https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvB...wardTo=landing

$47 for TSN; $60.49 to include TSN2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Just to repeat what I said before, if they dedicate resources to it then yeah, TSN has the capability to enhance the game in Canada. They almost determine on their own what Canadians watch.

However, TSN has shown in the past to be reluctant to invest in soccer even when they have the rights to the top level soccer in the world (Champions League). You are assuming that TSN is "investing" in MLS in order to do what they did with the WJHC and CFL. It may wind up being that they bought MLS rights to keep it away from Sportsnet or to provide filler for TSN2, neither of which actually benefits the game in this country. I'd rather it be kept on Sportsnet if that's the case.

We will see what they do.
    You know, despite your obsessive infatuation with Dero you make sense sometimes.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also obsessed with boobies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also obsessed with boobies.
    The downfall of man Roogsy, the downfall of man.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but at least we're distracted on the way down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but at least we're distracted on the way down.
    Until we hit the forest

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks, because on the CBC if you spent $20 on a HD ariel, or even just analogue antennas one could watch TFC for free ........no rogers or bell.....now that is by the wayside........and for those who want to watch it online, watchout for that proposed cable download increase.................you know it'll be on TSN2...just because most people still don't have it, another worm in the water.............at least on the fan 590, it is well done
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand how people can even question this move.
    TSN had champs league, before Canada as a country got big into soccer. As soon as the ratings came, they wanted back in. They also wanted to focus on the CFL, which they did, wildly successfully. They now have a vested interest in the MLS (given that the company that owns them also part owns the whitecaps), and what was up until now a regional interest (southern Ontario likes TFC) has now become a national interest (thanks to the Whitecaps being in full time and the frenchies coming). Why wouldn't a national partner want in on a national sport? Why WOULD a national partner want in on a regional sport? Soccer WAS considered a regional sport until the last Euro Cup or last World Cup depending how you look at it. Once they found out Canadians loved soccer they came back in

As for the TSN 2 crap, I dont have Gol TV, and the VAST majority of my friends don't either. I've missed literally every single TFC game that has ever been shown on Gol TV. Most of my friends have TSN2. All bars have tsn2. TSN2 has shown that it will stream most if not all games online. To the people who don't have even the basic (non digital) cable package and can't get TSN, how did you get Gol TV? Or see the games when they'd show them on like Sportsnet East or West or whatever instead of Ontario? Or when CBC would show them on that CBC outdoors channel thats like channel 126 or something?

And all that disregards the sway TSN has with the public, or its financial/marketing resources, or its ties to ESPN (and through that it's ties to MANY great soccer tv people).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pissed off because CBC lost their primary non-winter sport. The ratings were shit because they broadcast the game in the middle of the fucking afternoon instead of at night or on a better slot. Also TFC is a bad soccer team.

I refuse to buy Direct Kick considering I don't heavily follow other MLS teams enough to merit buying the package just for TFC.

Looks like bye-bye Nigel and hello to awesome streams starring guys like the Crew announcers.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever people's opinions of TSN and the way they have handled soccer broadcasts in the past, them broadcasting MLS (and by extension, having a rooting interest in the promotion and growth of the league/game) is a huge boon for the league and the three Canadian clubs. As we all know (and whether we like it or not), TSN is incredible at developing, creating and sustaining their broadcasting properties.

I have no doubt there will be kinks to work out, and it may be rough going for a little while, but I also have no doubt that TSN is capable of doing a better job of broadcasting MLS than any other network in Canada (and probably even the US).

Really happy to hear about this news. TSN is going to hype the shit out of the all-Canadian match ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty confident that they will dump all the games onto TSN2 so how is that better than being on CBC nationally?

God I hate TSN and their constant hockey garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    I'm pissed off because CBC lost their primary non-winter sport. The ratings were shit because they broadcast the game in the middle of the fucking afternoon instead of at night or on a better slot. Also TFC is a bad soccer team.
    Every European league runs primarily on the afternoon time slot.
    CFL games are broadcast also in the afternoon here.
    NFL is heavy dosed with afternoon games.

The team is shit - plus the game has to grow (viewership wise)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GOL TV could have an issue since it is a national service, if the country is broken up due to regional coverage requirements beyond the games that was shown on a national stage.

Right now Sportsnet holds the local television rights for five of the six Canadian NHL teams, with TSN holding them for Montreal. I wonder if they will see the need to control the distribution of say Vancouver games into Toronto and vice versa with Montreal also in the mix too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh from Canadian Sports Media Blog wrote a story about the MLS on TSN deal:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...how-about-mls/

Interesting comments at the bottom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your kidding right, guys, right

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is huge.

I have always wondered when this day would come - ESPN has a big commitment to MLS/EPL in the US/UK, and they are a significant minority shareholder in TSN.

This is not meant to be a slag on CBC/Rogers, who did a nice job, but TSN has the ability to blow the previous rightsholders out of the water in terms of coverage, if they want to. These guys have resources, and a ratings base, that others can only dream about.

This is a significant coup for MLSE/Anselmi if true.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an interesting move considering TSN gave up the few Blue Jays games it had the rights to to Sportsnet last summer in exchange for the Sunday Night Baseball rights.

There's a fair decent amount of competition for TSN's time in the summer. Not just the obvious CFL (which of course will be #1 on the list of importance), but their rights to NASCAR, tennis (French Open, Wimbledon, US Open), golf (all the majors and half the tournaments) and of course the odd summers when a major event is happening (Euro 2012)

The 2012 MLS season should take a huge two week blow for TFC when CTV and gang roll out the red carpet for the Olympics. Every channel goes wall to wall for that bore-a-thon.

However there's no way GolTV will lose any rights with MLSE owning the station. I suspect the V-Cup games get moved there from Sportsnet along with any Champions League games they get.

Why can't CBC and TSN just share?
    |
    x______________________________________________

Twitter: toast84

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN barely acknowledges the Raptors existence so I'm not going to get my hopes up about them properly promoting TFC.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first thought was "aw shit"...

...but now when I realize the relation to ESPN I'm not too disappointed. Sportsnet always did a crappy job. My primary complaint was the close-ups on players while the game was still in play. Fuckin hated that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I don't know what to think. It could be a boon for MLS in Canada with both TFC and the Shitecraps playing this upcoming season, and the L'impact coming in next year for French network RDS. But if they just see it as cheap filler, then maybe not.

They should have Nigel and Jason doing the play by play for TSN. I just can't see Vic Rauter doing that, if there is a God.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be nice if they carried some playoff games even if TFC aren't involved.`

May have to trim some fat off the Rogers bill to get TSN in HD. I'm looking at you home phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For MLS coverage / broadcasting ability, ESPN > CBC > Sportsnet

If we can get ESPN-type coverage and analysis on TSN, we're really onto something special. ESPN isn't Setanta, but they do invest resources. I'm really hoping TSN can follow the ESPN model.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally mixed on this. TSN has done great things as mentioned but have always been Pepsi to my Coke. They've poached the Grey Cup and the HNIC theme but saved the CFL and more than doubled it's coverage.

I just can't see them giving our game more of a priority than Sportsnet. Sportsnet is more regionally covered and have the National teams rights. Without TFC games their coverage of the game may take a hit, re-prioritizing foreign footie vs the game at home = Fail.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TSN put it on TSN2 then it really is a fail. I won't pay extra to get TSN2 just for MLS and I can't see how others would.

The only good thing that comes out of this is the potential money and reach of TSN. If TSN wants to push MLS, which would make sense, then we could see the game flourish.