Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TSN Acquires MLS Rights

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1890791/

As can be seen above, TSN has taken over the broadcasting rights for MLS. I like this move as this means that the League will get much more coverage on Canada's biggest sports broadcasting company.

With Montreal coming in next year it's not surprise that TSN see's this as a League that will have a growing fanbase in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like TSN at all. This chance is their golden opportunity to prove me and all those like me who think they'll still give preferential coverage to off season leafs rumours wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I didn't see that coming. TSN's coverage of TFC related news has been underwhelming over the years but I guess that's about to change. Positive news for Canadian soccer overall...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I'd be interested in seeing who they hire for the MLS coverage. Maybe we'll see Vic and Dick covering MLS. One thing is for sure, I can't stand Gerry freeking Dobson doing play by play anymore. I sure as hell won't miss him if TSN took over. I will however miss Nigel and I would be saddened if he lost his job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping Nigel and Jason de Vos moves to TSN too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN basically created the WJHC.
    TSN saved and elevated the CFL.
    I'm eager to see what they do with MLS coverage in Canada.
    I'm guessing CFL will be TSN, and MLS will be content for TSN2 in the summer time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cbc is done essentially with full time soccer
    will probz likely see de vos and reed get pulled into new tsn setup for full year gigs
    champs league and euros and mls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another chess piece in the war of Bell/TSN vs Rogers/Sportsnet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this fuckin sucks for me i live in the state and i get cbc here and not tsn.. fuck this sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make the final.........

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I'll say it now before someone asks...

"No comment"...

Carts
    If you start doing colour commentary .....

I'm buying you shots before every game!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great another HD channel I need to pay for

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully it's on TSN and not TSN2 ... cos then i pretty much will not be able to watch any football on tv this year unless i pay out the arse for it

lol when i saw the title of this thread, i had visions of Carts as an evil puppet master ... dance i say DANCE
    Last edited by manic.street.preacher; 02-01-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see how the country is divided up in terms of each Canadian team's local broadcast territory and how that will effect how the games are distributed to the country.

If you look at how hockey is broken up by provinces and in some parts of province in terms of television broadcasts, it makes you wonder.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1890791/

As can be seen above, TSN has taken over the broadcasting rights for MLS. I like this move as this means that the League will get much more coverage on Canada's biggest sports broadcasting company.

With Montreal coming in next year it's not surprise that TSN see's this as a League that will have a growing fanbase in Canada.
    Not really.
    CBC reaches more homes than TSN, plus chances are MLS will be regulated to TSN2 which reaches even fewer homes.

Not really in favour of this. Maybe in a few years time, but def. not now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Can we go post-game???
    Carts,

Can you explain what the local territories are for local NHL broadcasts for each team, and how some nights a game is local broadcast, some are regional and in the end others are national.

Regardless of the network do you see local broadcasts with blackouts when their are three MLS teams in Canada.

Since the inception of TFC every game has been available across the country minus the times Sportsnet showed it on only one or two of its cannels, will that change.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is fantastic news. If MLS gets the same treatment as TSN gave the CFL, we are in for a lot of good things.

Sportsnet TFC broadcasts were always shit. CBC was better, primarily because of Nigel, but Mitch Peacock, and Brenda Irving, and that girl on the sidelines can fuck right off.

I expect proper HD at games. I expect "MLS on TSN" analysis, along with a consistent panel, much like their CFL coverage. I expect games to be given a higher profile on SportsCentre.

This is great news.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I think this is fantastic news. If MLS gets the same treatment as TSN gave the CFL, we are in for a lot of good things.

Sportsnet TFC broadcasts were always shit. CBC was better, primarily because of Nigel, but Mitch Peacock, and Brenda Irving, and that girl on the sidelines can fuck right off.

I expect proper HD at games. I expect "MLS on TSN" analysis, along with a consistent panel, much like their CFL coverage. I expect games to be given a higher profile on SportsCentre.

This is great news.

- Scott
    You expect a lot of shit.
    If things turn up on TSN2 then who gives a fuck how many hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank god, no more sportsnet!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been a huge fan of TSN and CBC Sports has always impressed me, so I'm kinda disappointed with this news. I'll give TSN the benefit of the doubt for this, though. They do CFL well, granted.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

That's true, but it's a pretty big if. For every CFL game - all the way through the playoffs to the Grey Cup - there are always two Canadian markets involved.

But there is potential here, no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN has supported soccer for a long time, however games got trumped by curling, baseball etc...Didn't read all the details, but if they do more games than 15 (what CBC) gave us, than it is better than having 3 different broadcasters for the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they need to improve on vic rauter please

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to remember if seems like the TSN deal is a National MLS deal, which is new to this country as prior to this year their was only one team in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sold. To me, TSN = Hockey 100% But hopefully I'm wrong and they bring in the right people.....both on air and off to run with this new endeavor.

Dom.

p.s. Just listen to the ads for "That's Hockey Tonight" to hear what I mean by TSN = hockey.
    Last edited by Eastend; 02-01-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good riddance to Nigel Reed. As a fellow Brit, he embarrasses me every time he starts to talk. Too posh to talk football (it makes me cringe) and a complete lack of understanding of the game, plus he frequently gets players names wrong. No wonder the BBC dropped him all those years ago.

TSN moving in is a sign the league is moving forward. More professional coverage and more availability in terms of when they'll cover us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I wonder if the home games will be at 4pm on Saturday now, or at least more consistent??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I'm not sold. To me, TSN = Hockey 100% But hopefully I'm wrong and they bring in the right people.....both on air and off to run with this new endeavor.

Dom.

p.s. Just listen to the ads for "That's Hockey Tonight" to hear what I mean by TSN = hockey.
    Clearly you have never heard of the CFL? I don't see how anyone couldn't be excited about this. TSN is the premier sports station in Canada, even 'relegated' to tsn2 (where it would join such 2nd tier sports as the NBA TNT Double header, and multiple Leafs and Raptors games) the first ever game would get more money and production value put into it than sportsnet put in to TFC broadcasts in total. TSN can cherry pick/draw talent to call the game, they'll promote it well and it'll make sportscentre a lot more. There's no way this isn't one of the best things to happen to soccer in Canada ever. Did they get postseason rights too? What happens to the CCC?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sucks for me. I was hoping CBC would eventually get more coverage of MLS, especially more TFC away games. I don't have cable TV & I'm not planning to get it. I hate Rogers, and there's too much junk and distraction on cable, for me and especially for our kids. Plus, when I was somewhere w/o a TV, CBC's online streaming of games was great. Obviously TSN won't be doing that. Now, if they were showing at least a few away games on CTV that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

Crap, I guess I'll be spending lots of money on beer, in order to watch every away game in a bar. Well, there are worse things in life....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This sucks for me. I was hoping CBC would eventually get more coverage of MLS, especially more TFC away games. I don't have cable TV & I'm not planning to get it. I hate Rogers, and there's too much junk and distraction on cable, for me and especially for our kids. Plus, when I was somewhere w/o a TV, CBC's online streaming of games was great. Obviously TSN won't be doing that. Now, if they were showing at least a few away games on CTV that would be great, but I doubt that will happen.

Crap, I guess I'll be spending lots of money on beer, in order to watch every away game in a bar. Well, there are worse things in life....
    Why won't TSN be doing it? I watched all the CFL playoff games at work last year online.