Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This is a good reason why the league needs to be single-entity - like all sports leagues the owners are their own worst enemies, from what we've seen here there was a good chance TFC would have given DeRo the DP slot and it's likely other teams would do the same with the players you mention.
    Yeah, The single entity system is good for the league, that doesn't mean it's good for the players. Realistically the league needs the cap and the single entity system to help contain costs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterTFC View Post
    Umm... Dero is Canadian and he counted as an "international" when he played for both San Jose and Houston. The domestic player quota wasn't really workin in his favour in the formative years of his MLS career.

Actually when you think about dero probably owes his career to how poorly the league paid it's players back in the day. Frank Yallop probably would have used San Jose's last international roster spot on some highly paid brazilian if he would have had more cap space... But instead all he could afford was a Canadian from Richmond in the USL. Irony
    hrm. you'd think DeRo would be eligible for green card considering how many years he spent playing in US
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that this has become a DeRo thread, I'm closing it so that we can continue all DeRo conversation in one place:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...=25889&page=83

(besides, we need to get that thread over 100 pages )
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-28-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto