Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is still under contract so does that mean that if he decides to pout and not play that he could be penalized in some way by the team or League. I really don't think the new management are going(or want) to stand for any BS this early in their rein. Sorry if I missed something along the way but I didn't want to read through 25 pages with my brain acting like a potato today.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    But you know the cheque-signing came because there had been a lot of talk behind the scenes.
    Or maybe there wasn't any talk behind the scenes and something needed to be done to force the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    he is still under contract so does that mean that if he decides to pout and not play that he could be penalized in some way by the team or League. I really don't think the new management are going(or want) to stand for any BS this early in their rein. Sorry if I missed something along the way but I didn't want to read through 25 pages with my brain acting like a potato today.
    He can be suspended without pay if he holds out.

If the Team/League really want to repay him for his prodigious douchebaggery, they could pick up the option for 2012 and let him sit for two years.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    They simply wouldn't pay him if he opted to sit out.

They could further pick up his option in 2012 and have him sit that out too.

In the end, they would still hold the player's rights. Not sure who is advising DeRo but painting oneself into a corner doesn't sound like a great strategy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, he never said 'happy.' But you know the cheque-signing came because there had been a lot of talk behind the scenes.
    That's a massive assumption, considering Anselmi's comments after the incident would explicitly indicate that there WASN'T any talk behind the scenes to that point.

I'm with Vic - I think it was DeRo deciding in that instant, to force the issue. He had likely been stewing about the DP contracts of Mista and JDG for weeks, by that point.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be impressed with this management if they get this shit resolved quickly. I don't care what the solution is at this point, as long as there's a solution. I will start to lose faith if they start dealing with this a la Cochrane styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLSE is retarded

Lets put yourself in his shoes:
    You come to your home town.
    You are playing the best soccer of your career in the MLS.
    With 31 goals you are by far the leading scorer in TFC's short history.
    While other that came from Europe are making almost 4 times as much, not only JDG hasn;t scored a goal yet... but he also played like crap. "due to injury"...
    I would be pissed as hell and damn right he desserves it. MLSE has wasted so much money on guys like MISTA, MO JOHNSTON, JDG and countless of other useless players. And all of a sudden they become stingy when it comes to our best player... that makes no SENSE.
    Regardless of how things went about.. or who made what gesture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    That's a massive assumption, considering Anselmi's comments after the incident would explicitly indicate that there WASN'T any talk behind the scenes to that point.

I'm with Vic - I think it was DeRo deciding in that instant, to force the issue. He had likely been stewing about the DP contracts of Mista and JDG for weeks, by that point.

- Scott

Well, it's an assumption but based on other statements from this organization it's not massive. Ask Roogsy what he's heard from DeRo's camp.

And, really, are people defending Mo's tenure now?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, it's an assumption but based on other statements from this organization it's not massive. Ask Roogsy what he's heard from DeRo's camp.

And, really, are people defending Mo's tenure now?
    LOL

Not at all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ he was given 2 options.

1. Break his 2008 contract, get a significant raise (+$100k) per year for 2 years and give the club 2, 1 year options at this new rate

2. Stick with his 2008 contract, become a free agent at the end of the 2010 season

He opted for #1. He felt it was better to have the cash in hand and security rather than risk a decline in his value on the open market.

He played his hand.

He now wants both the cash that came by way of the raise in 2009, 2010 and the opportunity to compare himself and set a new salary relative to the "open market."

You can't do that. Even if you could, is he prepared to give back his raise and take the 2nd option?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie, I think his trip to Scotland was in effect an attempt at #2, but with the significant raise already secured by choosing option #1.

He had his cake and ate it too. Still wound up back at $400k. Doesn't that tell him something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing to consider is that MLSE may not be even allowed to offer Dwayne a DP deal even if they wish to. It is quite possible that MLS might be forbidding it, especially after hearing a league VP come out yesterday and publicly castigate Dwayne over his comments at the presser.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MeRo and Mo deserved each other and got what they deserved. DeRo got his raise, Mo got the guy he had been pursuing since he took over.

I dont know if people will recall, but I had said originally Mo was going to bring MeRo in the first season. I had been told that by Mo himself, several times.

Mo got his man.

MeRo had always believed he was a DP, he had a choice to stick with the contract he had in Houston play it out and leverage it for a DP deal, or take a longer term deal wit ha few more years of security and a doubling of his salary. He took it.

MeRo got his contract.

Both guys got what they deserved and in the end, an outcome they deserved.

Mo's marquee signing quit last season, producing nothing and causing a rebellion which lead to the team collapsing after going unbeaten for many, many games.

MeRo got his security and money, but in the end he didnt get his satisfaction when he saw guys get more than him.

TFC is better off without MoJo and will be better off without MeRo.

The end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Crosby's cap hit is $2 million more per season than Kovalchuks.

Besides he has the 2nd highest cap hit in the NHL. He is behind Ovechkin only. Not sure you can consider that much of a pay cut. Besides he signed his contract long before the retarded 15 year contracts became the norm for NHL superstars.

Not really sure what your point is here. Maybe you shouldn't be bringing your Crosby fanboy perspective to this debate?
    Lol...fanboy...good one...I could call you the same...you missed the point but I'm not surprised... Crosby is the best example because he left term and money on the table for the benefit of his team. The numbers are irrelevant. Comparing two athletes and and thier very different attitudes. I really don't like either athlete but one operates with class, the other chooses to act like a kid that's been told he can't have a piece of candy. That's the point! Fucking get it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    One other thing to consider is that MLSE may not be even allowed to offer Dwayne a DP deal even if they wish to. It is quite possible that MLS might be forbidding it, especially after hearing a league VP come out yesterday and publicly castigate Dwayne over his comments at the presser.
    this is it. DeRo is fighting a battle that he can no longer win

it now sounds like MLS is going to veto giving DeRo a raise. and last time a player tried this stunt, he ended up getting sold to Europe, and now he's crawling back to MLS (Kenny Cooper). because MLS don't want salary inflation to go out of control.

and DeRo is too old to be sold to an European club. certainly teams aren't going to pay big enough fee for him.

so what does DeRo have left? he has to either twist MLSE's arm hard enough to fight his battle for him, which I highly doubt. or he has to get player's union to fight for him, which is highly doubtable bc player union isn't going to go to strike over DeRo

DeRo thinks TFC is going to fall apart without him, but he doesn't realize that this is a rebuilding year, and I think deep down, Winter and co is willing to build a team without DeRo. certainly not with his attitude, no matter how good he is on the field. where is the team discipline when every player can run over management at whim?

so if MLS FO says no raise for DeRo, then what is he going to do? sulk some more?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    highly doubtable bc player union isn't going to go to strike over DeRo
    not even highly doubtable. all collective agreements signed with unions include a clause about no strikes or lockouts during the term of the agreement. the last CBA with the players union had it.

the last CBA actually said this:

Nor shall any Player decline to play or practice or fulfill his other obligations under his SPA
    Remedies for Breach: To the extent otherwise consistent with this CBA, in the
    event that a Player who is party to a SPA declines to practice or play or fulfill his other
    obligations under his SPA for any reason, the Player shall forfeit his salary for the period of such
    refusal, unless the Player has a demonstrable short-term medical or family emergency. Should
    such refusal to practice or play continue for more than two (2) weeks following written notice to
    the Player and the Union from the League of such breach, the League may, at its option, toll the
    player’s SPA for the entire Season, such that the player shall owe an additional year of service
    under his SPA. During any period of non-performance and/or suspension by the League or
    tolling of the Player’s SPA, the Player shall be prohibited from playing professional soccer for
    any non-MLS team. MLS shall also retain the right to terminate the SPA of a Player who
    violates the provisions of this Article 6.

De Ro can't hold out. No play, no pay... so essentially holding out would mean less security and less money.
    Last edited by rocker; 01-27-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    From what I remember, didn't Crosby have the #2 top salary (behind Lecavalier) in all of the NHL last season?

Well that blew up in his face pretty bad didn't it? In all my multitude of posts, at least I don't think I have completely fucked up on facts like this.
    Christ...just fucking ridiculous. What facts did I get wrong? The facts are the facts. One athlete chooses team over self. Another is just a fucking selfish bitch. Those are the facts. Because the facts don't help your point you try and spin things around. If Dero played like shit do you think Mlse would go public and say they want to renegotiate his contract mid term with a pay cut. Honestly, WTF. Too funny. I've read plenty of your posts and from what I've seen you have everything all fucked up.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    not even highly doubtable. all collective agreements signed with unions include a clause about no strikes or lockouts during the term of the agreement. the last CBA with the players union had it.

the last CBA actually said this:

Nor shall any Player decline to play or practice or fulfill his other obligations under his SPA
    Remedies for Breach: To the extent otherwise consistent with this CBA, in the
    event that a Player who is party to a SPA declines to practice or play or fulfill his other
    obligations under his SPA for any reason, the Player shall forfeit his salary for the period of such
    refusal, unless the Player has a demonstrable short-term medical or family emergency. Should
    such refusal to practice or play continue for more than two (2) weeks following written notice to
    the Player and the Union from the League of such breach, the League may, at its option, toll the
    player’s SPA for the entire Season, such that the player shall owe an additional year of service
    under his SPA. During any period of non-performance and/or suspension by the League or
    tolling of the Player’s SPA, the Player shall be prohibited from playing professional soccer for
    any non-MLS team. MLS shall also retain the right to terminate the SPA of a Player who
    violates the provisions of this Article 6.

De Ro can't hold out. No play, no pay... so essentially holding out would mean less security and less money.
    rocker is that from the current CBA or the previous one?

Because I haven't been able to find the current one online anywhere. The one on the MLSPU site is the previous one.

But if this clause still exists, then DeRo is fucked.

During any period of non-performance and/or suspension by the League or
    tolling of the Player’s SPA, the Player shall be prohibited from playing professional soccer for any non-MLS team.
    Only thing he can hope for is for MLS/TFC to terminate his contract and let him walk. Though it doesn't sound like MLS would do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's the old CBA. but I'm sure that language is in the new one... it's standard language (my union has the same). You are paid to play. Not playing means you're in violation. He has a contract he signed with the league, and his option was picked up. There's nothing he can do now beyond violate his contract.

and if he plays but sulks, and underperforms, he makes no case for being a DP... and he ruins his image and legacy.
    Last edited by rocker; 01-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I figure it is.

But you never know if that clause was changed at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post

Only thing he can hope for is for MLS/TFC to terminate his contract and let him walk. Though it doesn't sound like MLS would do that.
    and go where? no MLS team will be allowed to pay him DP money. and i hardly see any European team paying him anything DeRo wants. certainly not with his playing resume
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ which is why the strategy of backing oneself into a corner rarely works out to one's advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo's options have been analyzed ad nauseum. The best result he can hope for is for the last 2 years of his contract to be guaranteed and perhaps a moderate supplemental bonus. But even if his contract status remains unchanged by MLS at the start of the season, he still has no choice but to report unless he is willing to sit out without pay and try to negotiate a termination of his contract. If he thinks he can earn more outside of MLS then he should pursue that route but there's no guarantee MLS will let him walk. Zero leverage...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    and go where? no MLS team will be allowed to pay him DP money. and i hardly see any European team paying him anything DeRo wants. certainly not with his playing resume
    Like I said the Qatari league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    DeRo's options have been analyzed ad nauseum. The best result he can hope for is for the last 2 years of his contract to be guaranteed and perhaps a moderate supplemental bonus. But even if his contract status remains unchanged by MLS at the start of the season, he still has no choice but to report unless he is willing to sit out without pay and try to negotiate a termination of his contract. If he thinks he can earn more outside of MLS then he should pursue that route but there's no guarantee MLS will let him walk. Zero leverage...
    So even he gets his two years guaranteed... will he be happy?

It's essentially the same pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One would think that he should be content with that given his bargaining position. I don't think he has much of a choice in the matter. If he decides to turn this into a power struggle he is in for a rude awakening...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be a nice olive branch for the organization to say that they will guarantee his contract for the next two years, in an attempt to end this charade.

Of course, it doesn't help that DeRo has come out to the media and stated matter-of-factly that he thinks he deserves DP money in the last couple of days, despite having no real leverage to speak of. That doesn't sound like a guy who would be willing to simply accept a guarantee for the last two years of his contract.

If the league are also adamant that his contract is not going to be reopened, he really has limited options, outside of getting the league to let him walk and try his luck in Europe.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 01-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yohan mentioned the only comparable precedent set in MLS, which was Kenny Cooper in Dallas a few years ago. In that scenario, Cooper was sold to 1860 Munich for an undisclosed transfer fee. However, Cooper was several years younger than DeRo at the time and he had trained in the Manchester United Academy earlier in his career so he was a far more attractive commodity. Unless a European club is willing to offer a transfer fee for DeRo, MLS is not likely to terminate his contract.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-27-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also agree with guaranteeing the last two years of the contract.

If he gets hurt tomorrow, there's $800k on the way no questions asked. Considering his comments about security, that's a pretty good insurance policy. I honestly thing that's the best he can do.

If he asks to be released, he will have to trial his a$$ off for another club(s), for nada. History shows he won't be in line for a huge increase over $400k regardless.....and if he gets hurt in the process?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    I would also agree with guaranteeing the last two years of the contract.

If he gets hurt tomorrow, there's $800k on the way no questions asked. Considering his comments about security, that's a pretty good insurance policy. I honestly thing that's the best he can do.

If he asks to be released, he will have to trial his a$$ off for another club(s), for nada. History shows he won't be in line for a huge increase over $400k regardless.....and if he gets hurt in the process?
    Sure but how does this solve his "Want to be a DP" public stance?

Further, how does he react if/when the second DP is brought in March per Winter/Mariner?