Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC to expand academy program

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/01...my-get-younger

Academy To Get Younger Toronto FC eyes U-14 and U-13 options by 2012.

Duane Rollins
    MLSsoccer.com
    January 24, 2011

TORONTO — This will be an exciting year of growth for youth development programs at Toronto FC, according to the club's academy director Stuart Neely.

With TFC ownership approving a $17.6 million investment in a new training facility, planning is underway for the creation of a third academy team. Neely said he expects a program made up of U-14 and U-13 players to be up and running by spring 2012.

He says that’s just the beginning.

“It’s exciting,” Neely said. “We are looking to create U-15, U-13, U-11 all the way down to U-7 [teams]. That’s been the plan from Day 1.”

With a new management team boasting experience in the world renowned Ajax youth system, it’s a reasonable assumption that the Reds will be relying on homegrown talent a great deal moving forward, Neely said. Last year, the club signed academy standouts Doneil Henry (pictured above) and Nicholas Lindsay (pictured below) to professional contracts.

“We’ve talked to the first-team staff and they all see the NCAA draft as useful, but they really think there needs to be more emphasis on the academy for developing players for the first team,” he said.

Both head coach and technical director Aron Winter and first assistant Bob de Klerk will work directly with the youngsters in the academy, Neely added.

After an initial evaluation of the entire group, the plan is to have a select few academy players training with the first team throughout the year. According to Neely, TFC fans can expect the Reds to take full advantage of the MLS rule that will allow up to three academy players to take part in each reserve game.

Neely also pledged full cooperation with the Canadian Soccer Association in releasing players for U-17 and U-20 events, adding that it’s important that TFC, along with the other MLS academy programs in Canada, remember they have a responsibility to improve the state of the Canadian game.

“We’re really stressing loyalty to the club,” Neely said, “but also to Canada. We will cooperate fully with the national teams.”

A location for the new training facility is expected to be announced by April and be ready for use by the start of the 2012 season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the dude from It's called football has himself a gig at TFC.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the direction TFCA are going.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a dumb question...
    What is the purpose of the draft if a team can develop their own players?
    And what are the rules for scouting out young promising players from other places and bringing them into the academy?
    Essentially getting to them before they end up in the draft.
    Or does it simply come down to college players and non-college players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation :
    There's money to be made from these parents.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Maybe a dumb question...
    My understanding of all this is hazy and might get few things wrong
    What is the purpose of the draft if a team can develop their own players?
    NCAA still provides vast majority of soccer players for at least foreseeable future, and MLS has rules on how many academy players you can sign per season
    And what are the rules for scouting out young promising players from other places and bringing them into the academy?
    Essentially getting to them before they end up in the draft.
    I believe each team has its own territory and they are not suppose to poach youth players from areas not in their own territory. So TFC would have exclusivity in Ontario, Columbus in Ohio, etc. Teams can also ask for exclusivity in places where there is no MLS teams, such as RSL with Arizona.
    I don't believe there is a rule that prevents teams from getting youth from outside US/Can
    Or does it simply come down to college players and non-college players?
    I believe a player has to spend certain amount of time in a team's youth academy in order to be considered a 'home grown' player. Once a player goes to an NCAA college though, they have to be signed via draft
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Looks like the dude from It's called football has himself a gig at TFC.

Boy are you behind the times.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Translation :
    ?

sort of dismissing the whole benefits of an Academy program with one comment, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

academys train these kids for free (legit ones anyways) as they will eventually if they are good enough go on to play for the first team and maybe get sold to a bigger team, its to the academies advantage to keep no fees

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation :
    That was a concern early on in the life of the academy but I believe that was more directed towards the idea of the open tryouts. Parents needed to pay to have their kids looked at. But now, I think that it's more established it has actually become a legitimate means of providing fresh young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I believe a player has to spend certain amount of time in a team's youth academy in order to be considered a 'home grown' player. Once a player goes to an NCAA college though, they have to be signed via draft
    I was reading a story on torontofc.ca I believe it was, that said that Neely's still looking really hard at Matt Stinson, who left the academy this year to go to Winthrop. In the article it said that we retained his rights, meaning (as I took it) that we could sign him at any point circumventing the superdraft. A similar situation happened a few years back when a Red Bulls academy grad was in the superdraft and they were allowed to sign him before he did so. I can't remember if they did, but I remember reading it was an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when MLS was young, essentially it outsourced most of its player development to the NCAA. It saved money that way, and college players were actually good enough for that level.

Now, as the league is financially stable, teams are taking on player development themselves to improve the quality of the young player. The recent changes in rules make that more enticing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not circumventing the draft...the team retains signing rights until the player is eligible (as a graduating senior) to enter the draft. At such time the team would have to exercise or waive its right.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whether it is TFC Academy or a private one sanctioned by the S.A.A.C, the cost part of the equation is irrelevant.

Parents already pay $0,000's of dollars each year for their kids to play with Club Rep programs (club fees + travel costs + tournament associated costs + winter training + etc.) Sadly, the emphasis there at a young age is on winning. There is no "guarantee" that the child will develop.

Expansion of the Academy philosophy into the younger ages is a good thing. The emphasis on training 4:1 or 5:1 , not keeping standings until U14, keeping the parents quiet on the sidelines, paid and qualified coaches vs the revolving door of volunteers in a Club system and I see nothing but upside.

Of course it is a buyer beware environment as Club programs seek to hang "Academy" shingles outside their offices without the rigors and commitment to the philosophy. If it isn't sanctioned by the SAAC... Soccer Academy Alliance of Canada... then you might not be getting an "Academy."

But as a former Club Rep coach whose spouse was on the Executive of the Club system, I can honestly say that our experience with the Academy environment has been overwhelmingly positive. While the costs are significant, they are comparable with the traditional club model.
    Last edited by Pookie; 01-24-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ? sort of dismissing the whole benefits of an Academy program with one comment, no?
    Not really. I get the idea of and u18, u17 teams(s). Give the older kids a place to further their skills and see what they are made of.
    But we don't know if there are any real net benefits for soccer for TFC or Canada as a whole.
    So without seeing the benefits yet of the kids they have now, they are opening teams for even younger ones. I hope things work out, but yet it hasn't so I'll continue to have my reservations.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good news

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    I was reading a story on torontofc.ca I believe it was, that said that Neely's still looking really hard at Matt Stinson, who left the academy this year to go to Winthrop. In the article it said that we retained his rights, meaning (as I took it) that we could sign him at any point circumventing the superdraft. A similar situation happened a few years back when a Red Bulls academy grad was in the superdraft and they were allowed to sign him before he did so. I can't remember if they did, but I remember reading it was an option.
    I believe you're talking about Dilly Duka, and IIRC NY did try to sign him, but MLS said no and he was taken by Crew in MLS superdraft

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not really. I get the idea of and u18, u17 teams(s). Give the older kids a place to further their skills and see what they are made of.
    But we don't know if there are any real net benefits for soccer for TFC or Canada as a whole.
    So without seeing the benefits yet of the kids they have now, they are opening teams for even younger ones. I hope things work out, but yet it hasn't so I'll continue to have my reservations.
    I guess I see expansion of the Academy philosophy as a good thing. Regardless of immediate benefit.

The Club system is frought with problems, from the pyramid of play, to poaching, to the inherent volunteer system needed to drive it. Let's not even get into the CSA and Provincial Associations.

Now, there are great people within the Club system who would hold the same values that an Academy does. The challenge is that they can't implement their ideas.

My U9 team played 1-2 games per week, had 2 days set aside for training, and were forced into our own Rep tournament less than 2 weeks into the season. We had a season long table championship, a Cup Elimination tournament and 4 other tournaments mandated by the club. The standings were published on-line though fortunately individual "stats" weren't.

While the talk is about "development" that environment makes it next to impossible to do anything but put pressure on the Coach and his/her staff to get "results."

Other clubs, particularly in the GTA have an emphasis on winning so as to be able to attract better players. No need to develop players if you have a full trophy case because parents (generally) figure that a winning club must be doing something right.

Watch their games. See how often better players are subbed for poorer ones. Watch their practices. Do they focus on skill development? Or do they focus on tactics like set pieces or rigid positional play. How often does a defender get a chance to experience the game from a midfielder's perspective?

The Academy system is based on worldwide models that emphasize training over competition. Yes, there is competition but it is secondary to the development of the player. Parents are neutralized in the whole equation, the coaching is a step up as the funding permits a person to earn a living at it and they require credentials. The idea is simply that if you are U13 or younger, we'll teach you how to play the game. Once you get to U14, then we'll teach you how to be successful as a team.

I think the more that this philosophy catches on, the better it will be for kids and the sport in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Training kids how to play soccer in a club enviroment isnt a possibility of success, its guarenteed. 2 years after the program started, we already have 2 graduates from the program. Opening it up to younger players will only have positive results. We will be able to teach them our way of playing from a young age, instead of them getting taught 50 different ways from the coaches they grow up with. Having an academy will give them a dicection, which will rapidly speed their progress

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation :

Academy is invitational only,Translation It's FREE
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxygenatedbrain View Post
    Not circumventing the draft...the team retains signing rights until the player is eligible (as a graduating senior) to enter the draft. At such time the team would have to exercise or waive its right.
    So precircumventing? anyone stronger than I in greek/latin know the proper term for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have heard they want to go as young as 10 yr olds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I believe you're talking about Dilly Duka, and IIRC NY did try to sign him, but MLS said no and he was taken by Crew in MLS superdraft
    Nah it was way back and it was a very white sounding name like Matthew ________. Can't recall, but as it's been stated already, rights are maintained until they actually enter the draft, in their senior season/GA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Training kids how to play soccer in a club enviroment isnt a possibility of success, its guarenteed. 2 years after the program started, we already have 2 graduates from the program. Opening it up to younger players will only have positive results. We will be able to teach them our way of playing from a young age, instead of them getting taught 50 different ways from the coaches they grow up with. Having an academy will give them a dicection, which will rapidly speed their progress
    What graduates do you speak of? The kid who mangled his knee a couple of weeks back? Plleeaasse.
    Without the academy our country had Serioux, Dero, Stalteri, Gerba and so on. Some kid who has basically has yet to kick a ball in the league, much less improved the level of the club or national team is not a mark if something is success.
    Nobody can say its a success yet. Yes we all hope it will - myself included. But that won't be known for a few years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What graduates do you speak of? The kid who mangled his knee a couple of weeks back? Plleeaasse.
    Without the academy our country had Serioux, Dero, Stalteri, Gerba and so on. Some kid who has basically has yet to kick a ball in the league, much less improved the level of the club or national team is not a mark if something is success.
    Nobody can say its a success yet. Yes we all hope it will - myself included. But that won't be known for a few years to come.
    nonsense.

there are references worldwide that suggest academies develop talent for both club and country.

this is a great move, well invested by MLSE that is guaranteed to produce results for TFC and Canada (especially if they follow the Ajax methodology) - combine it with what will happen in Vancouver and Montreal and Canada will be producing a lot of talent in the coming generations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    nonsense.

there are references worldwide that suggest academies develop talent for both club and country.

this is a great move, well invested by MLSE that is guaranteed to produce results for TFC and Canada (especially if they follow the Ajax methodology) - combine it with what will happen in Vancouver and Montreal and Canada will be producing a lot of talent in the coming generations.
    Why are you putting words into my mouth.
    Your post is nonsense.
    We are talking about TFC academy, not others.
    The word still has to be written about TFC Academy. Period!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see how this news is anything but good. More player development is a good thing all-around, for both the club and national program. This news also shows that ownership finally "gets" what sort of infrastructure a professional club requires as part of it's long-term strategies.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The word still has to be written about TFC Academy. Period!
    True, but I still don't get how this news is anything but a good thing.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    I think he's just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's still a year off and probably 5 more years until we see the benefits, 10 until we can truly see how much it really helped. And if he's not saying that, he should be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    I think he's just saying let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's still a year off and probably 5 more years until we see the benefits, 10 until we can truly see how much it really helped. And if he's not saying that, he should be.
    True, but that's true of any new institution like this, and I don't see anyone arguing otherwise.

It's only good news that TFC are investing in a more robust academy system, and taking on younger and younger kids.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    Because I have a high distrust in anything MLSE touches.
    I have reservations it will succeed, and their motive is money, not player development. hence making money off the parents.