Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NASL sanctioning withdrawn

Guess Edmonton and Montreal are looking for somewhere to play this year.

Two-team v.cup?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be more concerned about Edmonton than Montreal. At least we know where the L'impact will be playing next year.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Guess Edmonton and Montreal are looking for somewhere to play this year.

Two-team v.cup?
    Maybe not. The NASL will play with the clubs they have so there still is a league, it's just not a Div. II league. Also, the CSA could step up and grant Edmonton FC and the Impact Div. II club status for the purpose of the V Cup competition. Just because the USSF backed out of the Div. II sanctioning doesn't mean the CSA has to as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Maybe not. The NASL will play with the clubs they have so there still is a league, it's just not a Div. II league. Also, the CSA could step up and grant Edmonton FC and the Impact Div. II club status for the purpose of the V Cup competition. Just because the USSF backed out of the Div. II sanctioning doesn't mean the CSA has to as well.
    But American teams can't play sanctioned events with USSF support, so there isn't a league.

And it's very doubtful the CSA would give Div.2 status to an exhibition club. Too many bad precedents involved.

Nope, NASL will either have to come up with a major revision in ownership and franchise structures in short order or they're hooped for this year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But American teams can't play sanctioned events with USSF support, so there isn't a league.

And it's very doubtful the CSA would give Div.2 status to an exhibition club. Too many bad precedents involved.

Nope, NASL will either have to come up with a major revision in ownership and franchise structures in short order or they're hooped for this year.
    I have been involved in pro sport for quite a few years and have never understood why in sports when it comes to starting up a league that in soccer you need the blessing of the national association ie USSF and/or CSA.

In any other sport the most important thing you need is money, bring in a few partners, with that you pick your cities, hopefully negotiate a few arena/stadium leases, hire a front office, sign some players and their you go. Some of this ventures being hockey, baseball, basketball, football or whatever else you may think have been quite successful and others have crashed and burned in a very fly by night type of way. But USA Hockey, Basketball, etc and their counterparts on our side of the boarder play no part in these ventures in any way, so why in soccer is sanctioning important from your respective national body.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Umm, I know hockey teams/leagues in Canada still fall under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada as Hockey Canada falls under the jurisdiction of the IIHF, especially when it involves player movement.

I can't speak for the NFL, NBA or MLB and it's minor leagues.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not familiar with FIFA governance issues so can someone explain to me why exactly USSF did not sanction NASL this year? What changed from year to year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am not familiar with FIFA governance issues so can someone explain to me why exactly USSF did not sanction NASL this year? What changed from year to year?
    The clubs probably didn't have the money to properly buy off the FIFA or USSF board members...

Isn't that how all FIFA items work...?

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touché...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so frustrating and i really hope its a temporary thing as it throws back soccer in NA a decade or so. outside of not being able to afford payoffs i fail to undertsand why they would do this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Umm, I know hockey teams/leagues in Canada still fall under the jurisdiction of Hockey Canada as Hockey Canada falls under the jurisdiction of the IIHF, especially when it involves player movement.

I can't speak for the NFL, NBA or MLB and it's minor leagues.
    I get that, but low tier minor pro hockey leagues always pop up like the Federal League or in Quebec the legendary North American League which is fight central, their is nothing to stop someone from starting one of the low rung things up, regardless if its good for the game or not.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where does it say this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KezmanCCCC View Post
    where does it say this
    It's on the NASL site now, was confirmed last week by Brian Quarstead at Inside Minnesota Soccer.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's to stop the CSA sanctioning the entire league as a Div. 2 of the CSL (or something) ?

US leagues have Candian entities as a matter of routine, and Canadian leagues have had US presence. This could be a similar scenario.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be good experience for the rest of the CSL to play against Edmonton and Montreal for the time being. I say bring them in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    It would be good experience for the rest of the CSL to play against Edmonton and Montreal for the time being. I say bring them in.
    Edmonton wouldn't last the season and would go belly up at the cost.

Neither would any other team that had to travel to get there.

Montreal could do it...