Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethan Gage was never coming to TFC. He's got a lot of potential though and could become a great player for the canadian team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Didn't Peterson just come off an ACL tear last season? That stuff takes a long time to get fully healed.

Cunty started off in MLS when MLS defenders were basically shambles stumbling around.
    Barrett had 9 in 08.

In '08 he only had 4 goals in the MLS according to their website.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/player/chad-barrett

If he got 9 in total, I'm assuming the rest were scored in the Canadian Championship against USL teams.

I agree with you about Peterson...I've had an acl injury myself it's a long road till your back to normal I think we'll see the real Peterson this year.
    Last edited by TFC14; 01-31-2011 at 10:27 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC14 View Post
    Barrett had 9 in 08.

If he got 9 in total, I'm assuming the rest were scored in the Canadian Championship against USL teams.

I agree with you about Peterson...I've had an acl injury myself it's a long road till your back to normal I think we'll see the real Peterson this year.
    they fucked up. He had 5 with Chicago prior to his trade to Toronto where he scored 4.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC14 View Post
    Barrett had 9 in 08.

He came in August that year, so the rest were scored in Chicago.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we'll be looking back at Barrett for very long. There are lots of guys in the league like him who are in the "due to break out" category but never quite get there. Justin Braun and Steven Lenhart come to mind.

Personally, I look forward to seeing if Maicon Santos can stay healthy this year pot a few more goals. He seems to play well within the team and create chances from small opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^agreed...I enjoyed watching him last year in the few games he played

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think we'll be looking back at Barrett for very long. There are lots of guys in the league like him who are in the "due to break out" category but never quite get there. Justin Braun and Steven Lenhart come to mind.
    Justin Braun had 9 goals. Pretty solid year for a 23 yr old. Lenhart had 6, and is a target man striker. Those guys don't score that much...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Ladies and Gents, you can add Ethan Gage to a guy we should have attempted to sign. :P

Gage just signed with Reading in the Championship.
    That's pretty impressive, straight into the Championship from USL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    There've been a few of the Residency products that have gone on to the German equivalent, the 2.Bundesliga.

The difference is that 2.Bundesliga is a higher quality league in terms of technical skill required.

I think Canada now has four Canucks playing for clubs in that league?

Marcel De Jong, Rob Friend, Adam Straith, Massih Wassey.

And part of me wants to say I'm forgetting someone.

Three of the Four mentioned are challenging for promotion this year. De Jong's club Augsburg is in second, Friend's club tops the table.

Shame TFC was never able to get some of these guys. Not that it would have mattered much. They would have been misused in kick and rush football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time.

Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson went from USL to Millwall. Serioux did quite well but came home because he was home sick. I believe Simpson did alright but injuries kind of screwed him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There've been a few of the Residency products that have gone on to the German equivalent, the 2.Bundesliga.

The difference is that 2.Bundesliga is a higher quality league in terms of technical skill required.

I think Canada now has four Canucks playing for clubs in that league?

Marcel De Jong, Rob Friend, Adam Straith, Massih Wassey.

And part of me wants to say I'm forgetting someone.

Three of the Four mentioned are challenging for promotion this year. De Jong's club Augsburg is in second, Friend's club tops the table.

Shame TFC was never able to get some of these guys. Not that it would have mattered much. They would have been misused in kick and rush football.
    Makes sense, I know very little about German leagues. Wish I could follow it more, but MLS and the English leagues make up my viewing.

Friend is someone I've always been a fan of, would be nice seeing him in Bundesliga again with a promotion.

It's funny, it does make one wonder how many former flops/failures or players would have flourished with Total Football...

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time.

Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson went from USL to Millwall. Serioux did quite well but came home because he was home sick. I believe Simpson did alright but injuries kind of screwed him.
    Sounds like Andrew Ornoch. Blanked on Serioux good call, didn't even know about the home sickness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Justin Braun had 9 goals. Pretty solid year for a 23 yr old. Lenhart had 6, and is a target man striker. Those guys don't score that much...
    In general I think these guys (at their current level) would be considered decent but not spectacular. Don't think they would be considered in the upper echelon of MLS attackers or even the next tier (with the exception of Braun).

Barrett is not young anymore. The guy is 25, going to be 26 within the start of the month of the season. He's had plenty of time to show himself.

Those 10 goals that were coming next season has been promised ad nauseam for quite some time. At this point, I either see him as the striker on a team with few options or probably the player on a good team that gets the most minutes but doesn't regularly start unless there are injuries to key players.

Combine that with an anchor of a contract that should leave room for a suitable replacement and I think you arrive at the answer our coaching staff did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Javier Martina is going to get signed....you heard it here first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Is that based on something you heard, or you are just REALLY sure of your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, he's the one guy that stood out in the few clips from the Partizan game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a good outside forward. Don't know if he can cross a ball yet, really. But he's hard to dispossess, so maybe Winter will use him pinching in from wide.

Sturgis looked good in a few clips, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think so too. I thought that before seeing clips just due to his pedigree in the Dutch academies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Toronto wants to sign him ... but does he sign for Toronto's terms ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume Winter and Mariner have done their home work in terms of the approximate salary expectations of various trialists, otherwise it would be a waste of time for both parties. If any of these trialists are good enough to crack the roster I'm sure acceptable terms can be negotiated.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCDP View Post
    To me, he's the one guy that stood out in the few clips from the Partizan game.
    Agreed, seems really skilled. Positive first impression for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Javier Martina vid from dantdot

[QUOTE=jloome;1218267]He's a good outside forward. Don't know if he can cross a ball yet, really. But he's hard to dispossess, so maybe Winter will use him pinching in from wide.

In these Twente and Ajax youth matches, he seems to like to keep the ball on the ground:

http://segvideo.seginternational.com/play.php?vid=77

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cmon dude.. thats not really a stretch at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed is great but he really does have to learn how to cross from the clips I've seen it looks like he struggles to get the ball into the box through the air...he looks pretty good 1 on 1 and definitely has some skill but apart from his two crosses on the ground most of his crosses looked like just blind attempts into the box. After saying all that I think he'd be an exciting player to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think too much is settled yet.

We could have the 2nd round of trialists show up and absolutely smoke the first set out of the water. But.... it's nice to know we have options!

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Edgar has just been moved to Swansea loan.

That's 8 of 11 accounted for from my Wishlist of Canucks. TFC should have a gander at the remaining 3.
    Why? Simply cause they are Canadian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    Why? Simply cause they are Canadian?
    Agreed, it doesn't seem to matter anymore. We need like what? Three?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=los sonadores;1218665]
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's a good outside forward. Don't know if he can cross a ball yet, really. But he's hard to dispossess, so maybe Winter will use him pinching in from wide.

In these Twente and Ajax youth matches, he seems to like to keep the ball on the ground:

http://segvideo.seginternational.com/play.php?vid=77
    Smart movement, though, and when he does keep it low, it's to the right spots to find someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jloome;1218763]
    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post

Smart movement, though, and when he does keep it low, it's to the right spots to find someone.
    He looks pretty good to me. A few of those clips are from senior Ajax matches (one home and one away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low crosses can be lethal. Let's not forget he may have been directed to cross low depending on the target options he had at that club. No point in flinging in high crosses with a 5'0" striker waiting in between 2 6'2" centre backs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of crossing in the ball has to be accuracy, not height of the ball. But if you are not able to complete a range of passes your effectiveness decreases.

Every pass must have a target and a quality run made by an attacking player off the ball. My personal peeve is when some guy with his head down blindly puts in a cross to the far post with nobody there or even in the 18 yard box. Meaning the guy who crossed the ball didn't read the game and nobody on the team made an effort to get into the danger area.