Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    What does playing for TFC have to do with the CMNT??
    Personally, I have no respect for anyone who turns their back on Canada. I don't want to pay to see/support someone who I have no respect for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even loyal to the country he was born...what makes you think he would be loyal to TFC.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    Not even loyal to the country he was born...what makes you think he would be loyal to TFC.
    Now THAT is eminently idiotic. You're saying that because he left a country that at the time (and even now, I would say) has no serious footballing future whatsoever, his club loyalty is shot? What shred of evidence do you have to substantiate that he has been anything but loyal to the clubs for which he has played?

Check your head, dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Check your head, dude.
    Yeah I checked and umm..its still there. Thats a good thing right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many people that have a choice in which country they choose to play for, to have that choice you need to impress your country. On the flip side the country has to impress you too. CMNT hasn't been a very attractive option recently. Hopefully that's changing. I don't harbour any ill will to players that make the decision to play for another country. I'd rather have characters on the national team that have the passion to be the trailblazers and leaders of a new era. JDG2 is only 23, if he had a change of heart, or if the CMNT is finally looking attractive, then I'd take him back. As for TFC, I want the best players period, and as long as they are wearing the colours of my team I will support them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post

my opinions and feelings dont have an immediate on and off switch.
    Same, unfortunately, as he really is a talented player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no problems here, disappointed but im not going to have my club suffer for his foolishness

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id boo him mercilessly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take him in a heartbeat. Anything to improve our team and we all know he has talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC and the CMNT have strong ties. We play in Canadas National Soccer stadium. MLSE has a long history of boosting national programs (Hockey at the complex for the Leafs, basketball with their braintrust, coaches and practice facilities, as well as stadiums). Hell the Jays are tightly tied to Canadian Baseball even. Toronto is the centre of Canadian sport (sorry to everyone reading this outside Toronto, but you're only mad because you know that's true. Yes, even the CFL).

It's no coincidence that Canada Soccer seemed to change course once TFC became established. The Academy has a mandate to promote Canadian athletes. And the Reds have a mandate to field Canadian players (though that's of less importance now). And I bet the new home of all the Canadian teams will be the new practice facility being built.

Unless he reversed his decision to play for the Dutch (which really might be a smart decision. I know he's playing well but he's burried on that depth chart. Would you rather be on the Dutch B or C team or the Canadian A team? Keeping in mind it looks like CS is slowly removing its head from its ass) I wouldn't want him on TFC. Should he come back to the nat program, I'd have no problem with him in red.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    What don't you understand?
    Allow me to rephrase.. Im not hung up on the subject of him not choosing to play for Canada as some ppl are. Quite frankly I could care less he chose to play for Holland and not Canada.

Would gladly take him on TFC.

Clear enough for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly... obviously you get it and see the big picture... Thanks Sal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    Allow me to rephrase.. Im not hung up on the subject of him not choosing to play for Canada as some ppl are. Quite frankly I could care less he chose to play for Holland and not Canada.

Would gladly take him on TFC.

Clear enough for you?
    Sure, but how come you don't quite understand why others are hung up on it?

What you said in this post doesn't clear up your previous statement at all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly fuck the guy, and how hypocritical considering we won't develop youngsters who don't want to play for Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so if I don't want to see an above talented footballer on TFC, I am going to every TFC game for what reason exactly?........to be noticed, ??, expand hot air, ? or watch an exciting game of footie? ....Anything not to watch Columbus beat us ever again, .......He may one of the few Dp's that I'd agree to,..notwithstanding other dutch system devotees...........as I want to see in the future TFC "TOTAL FOOTBALL"
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    so if I don't want to see an above talented footballer on TFC, I am going to every TFC game for what reason exactly?........to be noticed, ??, expand hot air, ? or watch an exciting game of footie? ....Anything not to watch Columbus beat us ever again, .......He may one of the few Dp's that I'd agree to,..notwithstanding other dutch system devotees...........as I want to see in the future TFC "TOTAL FOOTBALL"
    No-ones criticising you. Don't you think it says something about his character to leave his home country because he was unable to persue his football dreams there, change his mind, and want to come back because he wants to represent his home town but he still doesnt want to represent his country? So he'll be a guy who was born here, raised here, lives here, makes his living here, and playing for the Dutch national team. Think about it for a minute.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    No-ones criticising you. Don't you think it says something about his character to leave his home country because he was unable to persue his football dreams there, change his mind, and want to come back because he wants to represent his home town but he still doesnt want to represent his country? So he'll be a guy who was born here, raised here, lives here, makes his living here, and playing for the Dutch national team. Think about it for a minute.
    I hear your point, but if he ever came back here to play he wouldn't be playing for the Dutch national team. Be it now or when he's much older and not an option for international duty.

Anyway ... it's a non-issue. Jonathan is not coming here any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Except that any meaningfull soccer he's played and training he's received happened in Holland. You are conveniently cutting out a big part of his life for the sake of your argument. He's been gone from this country just as long as he's lived in this country. The Deutsch have spent way more resources on bringing up the kid then Canada ever did. He's played on the national youth teams as well. I'm sorry, but if you were Deutsch, I'm sure you'd be saying he'd be turning his back on Holland at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Except that any meaningfull soccer he's played and training he's received happened in Holland. You are conveniently cutting out a big part of his life for the sake of your argument. He's been gone from this country just as long as he's lived in this country. The Deutsch have spent way more resources on bringing up the kid then Canada ever did. He's played on the national youth teams as well. I'm sorry, but if you were Deutsch, I'm sure you'd be saying he'd be turning his back on Holland at this point.
    wuh di ass?

Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. I find it hilarious that there are no complaints about Radzinski, De Jong, Jakovic, Pacheco, Klukowski. Canada wasn't their home country was it? Didn't see too many complaints when they decided to rep us instead. JDG2 went to Holland when he was what, 12? 14? What does he owe Canada exactly?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you mean Dutch, not Deutsh ..... and I agree with what you say.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    Exactly. I find it hilarious that there are no complaints about Radzinski, De Jong, Jakovic, Pacheco, Klukowski. Canada wasn't their home country was it? Didn't see too many complaints when they decided to rep us instead. JDG2 went to Holland when he was what, 12? 14? What does he owe Canada exactly?

Nothing.

Same amount as we owe him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Juan View Post
    I think you mean Dutch, not Deutsh ..... and I agree with what you say.
    yep this is the deutsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    I'm not against immigrants representing their adopted country, but by JDG2's own admission he identifies as being Canadian - and turned his back on us for opportunity, not nationalistic reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should close this thread, then reopen it in 5 years when there is a chance of JDG2 coming here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    Sure, but how come you don't quite understand why others are hung up on it?

What you said in this post doesn't clear up your previous statement at all.
    How did i not clear up my statement... I dont care he chose to play for holland than for Canada.

What is it with him having to play for the country he was born in, knowing he has 2 citizenships.. he chose what was best for his career and building his soccer potential/skill.

Im a proud canadian but if given the chance he had, I would have made the exact same choice... Club team has nothing to do with the MNT.. lets not lose sight of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCDP View Post
    We should close this thread, then reopen it in 5 years when there is a chance of JDG2 coming here.

Agreed. Until then, this thread fails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did think about that, but it's a lot more complex than you're making it out to be. He went over there at 14 right? But he still identifies himself as a Canadian. I'm not questioning whether or not he should be on the Dutch team now. But if he were to say to the world: I want to represent my home and my city but doesn't include my country too I think it would be incredibly hypocritical. And it would say to me that clearly he isn't in Toronto for the long haul, but only here as a short term mercenary. I don't want TFC to be good for one or two years, but ALL years. But ya, him making a move to MLS now would SHOCK me so this is prob all moot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    Club team has nothing to do with the MNT.. lets not lose sight of that.
    How can you be a TFC fan and say that? They have a Maple Leaf on their jersey, have a Canadian flag on their sleeve, have a stated goal of developing Canadian players, use Canadian internationals to market and promo the team, make Canadian eligilable academy players promise to declare for Canada. How can you say that this team has nothing to do with the MNT when it's done everything imaginable to link itself to the MNT?

Bringing in a player who's turned his back on our country goes against everything that this team has said it stands for and represents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're kind of misunderstanding why I personally think people don't like what he did. It isn't about people being upset that Canada didn't get a return on investment from him, it's that they feel he should have been more honoured to represent the country he grew up in - the land of opportunity his family benefited from.

I didn't (and still don't) like his decision to call himself Dutch from a footballing perspective. That said, I'd choke back those feelings if he came to TFC.

On another note, I don't like it when players say they'd like to come to MLS "in a few years" (the implication always being "when my best years are behind me"). It doesn't help the league's reputation as a haven for near retirees to cash in.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens