Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    You know, I was thinking the exact same thing but as I read the articles on what the plans are, listen to the interviews with the 3 new musketeers, and listen to Klinsman, I realize what many have already mentioned - that this plan goes beyond just making a competitive team for this coming season.

Like it has been said many times, this is about finally establishing a long-term identity for the club. The architecture of an identity must begin even before the first team. It has to begin with the academy and very young kids who will hopefully one day be groomed from start to finish using TFC's football, whatever that turns out to be. The theory is that the new team presented today will be the source of the knowledge necessary to make this happen. However, as much as I can see them having an interest for the challenge and would like to believe they will be around to see their project succeed, I wouldn't be surprised if after 3 years (if not before) they pack and leave. That is if they are not booted before. Having said that, I'm not so sure that the plan of establishing an identity all the way from U7s to the first team can be accomplished in 3 years or less so we need someone who will very likely stay with the club for a long time soaking up as much knowledge as possible. I don't think there is better choice than Daso/Jimmy/Earl? Maybe I'm wrong.

The bottom line is that you cannot perpetually depend on consultants (because that's what they really are IMO) coming in to implement this out for you. You need the house to retain that knowledge so the identity is cemented all throughout the club for the long term. A perfect example of this is Barcelona - Cruyff came in and established his philosophy for over 8 years ("officially" lol). That time was enough to allow the players, club's staff at all levels, members, janitors, you name it .. eat breathe and sleep his style of play. That took some time but now they're seeing the rewards as La Masia is a bloody factory of superb players all intimately familiar with Barca's football. All of them managed by in-house managers who also understand the philosophy very well. They have a lot of pride in that, and they bloody should (politics aside). Unfortunately, due to the nature of the sport here, I doubt we'll have that much time so we need the house to start soaking up as much of that knowledge as possible.

Patience from the fans is going to be key here. We are probably not going to win the MLS cup this year (although with MLS you never know) nor are we going to become the next ajax or barca over night... but if they do it right..fuck..our kids will wear the red (TFC and Canada) very proudly. Exciting times!

or you know..they're just bloody good at selling hope lol.
    Man oh man... this is the whole reason I support TFC. With support one day the MLS will rival european leagues. Not over night and I may not live to see it but it can happen and that is the goal. One day my kids will be able to watch world class football live and call it their own.

I can live with this and I can live with another 5 year plan because unlike MO i trust Klinsmann. Unlike Mo, Klinsmann has a great footy IQ.

The thing I like the most is that they are calling for a " Striker Heavy" style. The one thing we have been missing and never really had is a REAL striker. DD was a good striker and I mean him no disrespect. He is a legend and I hope we continue the 23.13 tradition in his honor forever. But I CAN'T WAIT to see what happens!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    minus the immigrant status lol

I am an immigrant and I am proud. No longer fresh of the boat, but at one point was fresh of a Alitalia plane. Landed August 2, 1984.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We woudl not be able to afford to search, find and pay for the likes of kilnsmen and this new leadership team.

its the HUGE advantage we have over most teams in the MLS market. . . HUGE amounts of cash by MLSE.

Results, I hope they come, but to have the backing of a great organization like them is our true golden ticket. from a finance, knowldedge and facility standpoint only 1-2 other teams can rival us. . . .

ITs time we warm up to our ownership group and recognize what having them behind us has POTENTIAL to do for us. . . .

There, I said it.

EAT IT
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ If they have the goals as we do for the club. At this point it seems that they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    They weren't "fooled" when they hired a guy with six games experience (wasn't he still under contract to this single-entity league?) they knew what they were getting.
    I agree with you on pretty much everything except this. I think it's very easy for guys like Anselmi and Beirne -- businessmen -- to be wowed by a guy like Mo, who had a pretty notable career as a player.

That kind of direct success -- being considered, in his prime, a top euro striker -- makes it very easy to snow guys who have no tangible connection to the sport.

I can quite easily see them discounting his experience and saying he just "feels like the right guy." Tons of business appointments are made this way and they seem to have done relatively little diligence on the football side of the equation.

As you say, they were making it up as they went along. But that doesn't mean they were being shrewd or cheap in hiring Mo. They just foolishly thought his CV as a player and his time in MLS was enough to guarantee good football management.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Great management team.

Except Anselmi.......what a weird looking bloke he is.

The Anselmi were the inhabitants of the ocean planet Glee Anselm. They shared the planet with the Nautolans. Both races evolved naturally on the planet, the Nautolans under the water and the Anselmi on what little landmasses there were. Competition for land most likely led to the Anselmi turning into a warlike race. However, as the Nautolans gradually came to the surface and acquired land, they were able to use their natural abilities and strength to overcome the Anselmi. The Nautolans made up the majority of the population, as the Anselmi continually warred amongst themselves diminishing their numbers on the planet.
    Wow, Anselmi took a nom de plume from an obscure Star Wars reference?
    My whole view of him has turned upsidedown!
    Support Local Football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I agree with you on pretty much everything except this. I think it's very easy for guys like Anselmi and Beirne -- businessmen -- to be wowed by a guy like Mo, who had a pretty notable career as a player.

That kind of direct success -- being considered, in his prime, a top euro striker -- makes it very easy to snow guys who have no tangible connection to the sport.

I can quite easily see them discounting his experience and saying he just "feels like the right guy." Tons of business appointments are made this way and they seem to have done relatively little diligence on the football side of the equation.

As you say, they were making it up as they went along. But that doesn't mean they were being shrewd or cheap in hiring Mo. They just foolishly thought his CV as a player and his time in MLS was enough to guarantee good football management.
    Sure, the CV and all that, but it would have been the agent who did most of the talking (along with those rumours of kickbacks for big player salaries there might be some investigative journalism into how much else came into the deal along with the manager. Not that anyone's interested in an MLS version of Declan Hill's "The Fix" but not all these deals are as transparent as maybe they could be ).

And Mo accepted their terms - a one year contract and options at the team's discretion. That narrowed the choices quite a bit (the other guys who came in with Mo left after a year because they wanted longer-term contracts guaranteed - didn't want to move their families or commute back and forth to the US and all that).

But sure, maybe they felt his CV and time as a player in MLS was good enough for what they were offering at the time. They did as much dilligence as the investment required at the time.

Now times have changed - the league is bigger, more stable and they're upgrading. We can say they're doing what they should have done then, but from MLSE's point of view they've played this very well - they have a profitable team that people are excited about again and really no debt (with what's gone on at Argyle the fact that no one's paycheque is going to bounce here is probably a very big selling point and they did give Winter a trhee year contract, which is great). MLS is quite different from the NBA and NHL and they have a very good chance of putting together a real contender as soon as this year.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spot on carlo

maybe dichio/daso/brennan can make a difference with youth development and let the high profilers rep the first team and provide guidance on the whole operation

best news of the day was commiting 17.5 million to a practice facility that speaks volumes for the future and mlse commitment to the long term

i think maybe they are starting to get it right ------------hoooray
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

minus the immigrant status lol
    I am an immigrant !

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Give us back our jerbs!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a shocking announcement, but a pleasant and welcome one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    Not a shocking announcement, but a pleasant and welcome one!
    Woulda been if TFC/MLSE wasn't leakier than an ocean liner that had a bad mix up with an iceberg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad used to go to the games way back when and said it was nothing but immigrants in the stands looking to watch some footy.
    Well I was born here so I wasn't an immigrant.
    But who was stopping others from coming to the games.
    And there are lots of immigrants at TFC games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I actually don't think that soccer failed at all. I was referring to MLSE's probable perception, and why they would go cheap at first. I put "failed" in quotes because it's an inaccurate but common perception.

In the Blizzard's case, the league failed in that it went under. The fans were always here.
    This is an accurate description. The fans were always here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    yeah, soccer was working at a very small level (comparable to the Toronto Rock or an OHL team for number level of tickets sold and revenue).

For MLSE to buy into soccer being bigger than that, it took a risk. It was a well calculated risk, but a risk nonetheless.
    As stated above, the people were always here. yes it was a risk but a very minimal one. Almost negligible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ A negligible risk in Toronto, but really MLSE was buying into the single-entity MLS and they made their investment an amount that fit into the league at that time.

Since the franchise was given to Toronto the league has changed quite a bit and now MLSE are upping their investment. We're just lucky they're doing it now before some teams really pull away form the pack which will probably happen over the next five years.

The NBA and NHL are the top leagues in their sports in the world so building a winning team in MLS is completely different. Honestly, I think they could have built a winner right out of the gate - spent more on a proper front office and scouting, got a DP right away, grass, better training facilities and so on but it seems clear they were only going to make those kinds of investments once the money had come in to cover them and once other teams in the league were spending like that. It could be a lot worse right now, so take this small step as a positive.