Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    In the 70s, people cared about things. We're much more apathetic now.
    Plus, you had to actually GO to games to see them. There wasn't this 24 hour sports bevy of channels to choose from like there is today. No internet streaming or I Phone updates either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    fixed.
    If people in NY actually gave a shit then yeah...but they can't even fill a brand new stadium with a couple big name pulls for the 1 team they already have.
    If TFC played in Barrie and games didn't sell out, would you say that Toronto is a failed market?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, if you ever listened to the Borough Boys, the supporters group trying to bring a second MLS team to New York, they say a second team there, one that would actually play in New York and not in New Jersey would be the greatest thing to happen to MLS and for soccer in America, and that anyone who doesn't agree with them is a jealous hater, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Of course, Don Garber has this ginormous hard on for seeing a second MLSNY team, so it's only a matter of when. But don't give me this shit about how instantly successful it will be. It will be only as good as the people that put it together.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    If TFC played in Barrie and games didn't sell out, would you say that Toronto is a failed market?
    Yes. But saying that, I am also quite ignorant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW...

From ESPN Soccer - November 29, 2010

"The Beckham Factor
    No matter how natural the fit would seem and no matter how poetic a Galactico leaving the Galaxy to take over the Cosmos would be, David Beckham is one person the Cosmos will not be adding to its ranks. Byrne might be his best friend, Kemsley a fellow Londoner, and Beckham himself the owner of a contractual option allowing him to take control of an MLS franchise when his playing career ends, but the Cosmos won't be the one.

"Although David does have certain rights for a team in the future, those rights do not include a team in the New York market," Abbott said. (According to Byrne, Beckham's option also excludes the Los Angeles area.)

"Everybody says, 'Are you just doing this for David?'" Byrne said. "David's been my friend for 20 years. I'm godfather to his kids. He's godfather to my son. We're best of friends. But that doesn't mean that what I'm doing is for David."

Full article here: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...ew-york-cosmos

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
    FWIW...

From ESPN Soccer - November 29, 2010

"The Beckham Factor
    No matter how natural the fit would seem and no matter how poetic a Galactico leaving the Galaxy to take over the Cosmos would be, David Beckham is one person the Cosmos will not be adding to its ranks. Byrne might be his best friend, Kemsley a fellow Londoner, and Beckham himself the owner of a contractual option allowing him to take control of an MLS franchise when his playing career ends, but the Cosmos won't be the one.

"Although David does have certain rights for a team in the future, those rights do not include a team in the New York market," Abbott said. (According to Byrne, Beckham's option also excludes the Los Angeles area.)

"Everybody says, 'Are you just doing this for David?'" Byrne said. "David's been my friend for 20 years. I'm godfather to his kids. He's godfather to my son. We're best of friends. But that doesn't mean that what I'm doing is for David."

Full article here: http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/new...ew-york-cosmos
    Miami FC anyone?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Miami FC anyone?
    Make it happen Goldenballs!

ROAD TRIP! Nicki Beach here I come!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Becks is negotiating so that he can get a bit of the Cosmos instead.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Red Bull Arena is in Harrison (Newark), NJ. It's situated right across the river (about 10 miles from New York City). Probably easier for some to get to than others, but it's not exactly a trip up the 400 away.

Also suggested was the comparison of two NY-based teams to Sheffield Wednesday and Crystal Palace. These two teams play in cities that are roughly 165 miles apart. Not quite the same either.

I second the excellent documentary 'Once in a Lifetime', the story of the NY Cosmos and the NASL. Check it out.

If you think about it, maybe what NY needs is a second team in the market in order for the first team to gain more support. Nothing gets you behind something you can't be bothered about quite like something you can really hate.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Red Bull Arena is in Harrison (Newark), NJ. It's situated right across the river (about 10 miles from New York City).
    The problem is that most of the people that they (likely) draw from don't live in Manhattan, but in the areas East of Manhattan, which means having to drive through Manhattan to get to Jersey. It might be geographically close, but its still a long commute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that most of the people that they (likely) draw from don't live in Manhattan, but in the areas East of Manhattan, which means having to drive through Manhattan to get to Jersey. It might be geographically close, but its still a long commute.

How different is it to get to Red Bull Areana than to Giants Stadium in New Jersey? The Cosmos sold out there. If soccer is going to succeed in the USA and be more than minor league they've got to be able to get two teams in New York (and one can be in New Jersey - soccer can't be forever that far behind the NFL and stay in business).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beckham would be fucking UNBEARABLE as an owner in this league.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cosmos!!! great idea, qwelcome back!

now. . just changed teh name of NYRB to NJRB and I will be happy.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    He's already insufferable.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Only if he buys a MLS franchise in NY and works out a partnership with Crystal Palace and West Ham United and calls his club Beck(ing)Ham Palace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    He's already insufferable.
    Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Only if he buys a MLS franchise in NY and works out a partnership with Crystal Palace and West Ham United and calls his club Beck(ing)Ham Palace.
    lmfao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Red Bull Arena is in Harrison (Newark), NJ. It's situated right across the river (about 10 miles from New York City). Probably easier for some to get to than others, but it's not exactly a trip up the 400 away.

Also suggested was the comparison of two NY-based teams to Sheffield Wednesday and Crystal Palace. These two teams play in cities that are roughly 165 miles apart. Not quite the same either.

I second the excellent documentary 'Once in a Lifetime', the story of the NY Cosmos and the NASL. Check it out.

If you think about it, maybe what NY needs is a second team in the market in order for the first team to gain more support. Nothing gets you behind something you can't be bothered about quite like something you can really hate.
    Red Bulls play closer to the heart of Manhatten then NY Jets and Giants do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    New York is an absolutely Giant area (same with Los Angeles) they can easily support two teams down there if done right.

People have been making noise about Chivas moving to east L.A. for a long time now. I expect something will get done eventually because they know they are nothing but 2nd class playing out of he HDC.

Your right New York and LA are big cities. But New York is built like a mega dense populated city in half the area LA is. while LA is built more like a massive suburb.

One problem LA does with Chivas and LA Galaxy is they play in the same stadium, where half of the city are to far away from. I think it be key point to make New York Cosmos play on one side of the city (like Queens or Brooklyn) while others New Jersey. Covers 2 opposide sides of the city. However only problem Brooklyn and Queens are very populated and available land is hard to find.
    Last edited by james; 01-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    How different is it to get to Red Bull Areana than to Giants Stadium in New Jersey? Péle sold out there. If soccer is going to succeed in the USA and be more than minor league they've got to be able to get two teams in New York (and one can be in New Jersey - soccer can't be forever that far behind the NFL and stay in business).
    FYP

sorry, just watched the documentary recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This story is starting to sound like it's getting legs, with Cobi Jones announcing he's leaving the Galaxy to join NY Cosmos.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APbe16...9549d20ae.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, when I was at the USA Brazil game in New York last summer there was a street marketing team rolling around the parking lot handing out Cosmos t-shirts and stickers, asking people then what the deal was no one was really quite sure what the new Cosmos were completely up to, guess with Cobi Jones making the move something behind the scenes and to some extent in the public view is going on with the team.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    This story is starting to sound like it's getting legs, with Cobi Jones announcing he's leaving the Galaxy to join NY Cosmos.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APbe16...9549d20ae.html
    I sense a battle brewing more between these two teams than with the Cosmos and Red Bulls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently Victoria is popping out another baby this year for Becks... if it's a boy he already will have 4 academy kids. haha.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be happy when they change the name back to "Red Bull New York". One of the greatest names in NA sport, and they had to go and ruin it by Americanizing it.