Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think wrong information boys because Aron dont come allone, he bring Bob de Klerk with him as his assistent

Aron Winter next TFC head coach: Reports

Published On Mon Jan 3 2011

By Cathal Kelly Feature Writer

According to multiple reports out of the Netherlands, former Holland national team player and current Ajax of Amsterdam assistant coach Aron Winter will be the man to lead Toronto FC next season.
    “(Toronto FC) came to the right place,” Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf quoted Winter as saying about the opportunity.
    Winter will fill the vacancy as the team’s technical director and head coach. He will also reportedly bring along another Dutchman, Bob de Klerk, one of the heads of Ajax’s famed youth academy, De Toekomst.
    Winter told the paper that he planned to fly to Canada on Monday to sign with Toronto’s Major League Soccer club.
    Asked this morning if Winter was Toronto FC’s new man, the team’s current boss, interim GM Earl Cochrane, said, “I don’t know.”
    It’s unclear where this leaves Paul Mariner, the man widely reported to take the head coaching job, or the team’s interim coach, Canadian Nick Dasovic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will this be the success we all have been dreaming of? Who knows. Like Mythbusters say "failure is always an option." But I like what it says about the team's priorities - improving the on field performance with a solid playing system and building a strong youth development system. The next step (well, after the mgmt team is officially announced) will be to see which players they feel will fit this new system. That may take some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    I think wrong information boys because Aron dont come allone, he bring Bob de Klerk with him as his assistent
    Its been mentioned before already in the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ yeah, like in the first sentence of the first post hahaha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kelly is just re-writing the early Associated Press reports. We now know that Winter is the head coach.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post
    Good morning from the Netherlands! It's all over the soccer news, this morning, so it's official: Aron Winter will be TFC's TD and Manager. He'll bring Bob de Klerk (former Ajax Academy assistant) along, while Paul Mariner steps in as first team coach/assistant coach.

Winter krijgt een dubbelfunctie bij Toronto FC
    FC Toronto heeft Aron Winter gekozen als nieuwe technisch directeur. De oud-international krijgt daarnaast het eerste elftal van de Canadese club onder hoede. Toronto FC was op zoek naar iemand die zowel het technisch beleid als de hoofdmacht voor zijn rekening wilde nemen. Bekendheid met de Ajax-cultuur en speelstijl was een belangrijk onderdeel van de sollicitatie. 'Dan zijn ze bij mij aan het goede adres', zei Winter in De Telegraaf. De 43-jarige oud-international rekende af met de concurrentie van voormalige Engelse spits Paul Mariner en tekent een dezer dagen voor drie jaar bij Toronto FC. 'Ik ben vorige week twee dagen bij de club langs geweest en hield daar direct een goed gevoel aan over', zei Winter. 'Zij ook want ik was nog niet terug of ik werd al teruggebeld. Van de drie kandidaten maakte ik de beste indruk. Rond de jaarwisseling is alles rondgekomen.' Winter staat bij de club uit de Major League Soccer voor het eerst op eigen benen als hoofdcoach. Bob de Klerk, die bij Ajax de A1 onder zijn hoede had, gaat mee als rechterhand.
    (Source: Voetbal International, VI.nl)

GOOGLE TRANSLATION:

Winter gets a double feature at Toronto FC

Aron Winter Toronto FC has chosen as the new technical director. The former national team player will also have the first team under his wing. Toronto FC was looking for someone who is both the technical strategy as the main force on his behalf wanted. Familiarity with the Ajax playing style and culture was an important part of the application. "They've come to the right place, " said Winter in Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. The 43-year-old charged with international competition from former England striker Paul Mariner and was chosen a few days ago. He will sign a 3-year contract with TFC. "I was at the club last week for two days and immediately had a good feeling", said Winter. "The feeling was mutual since they called back before was back in Amsterdam. Of the three candidates, I was chosen and just around New Year's everything was worked out."Bob de Klerk, Winter's assistant at the Ajax Academy, will be his right hand man.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post

Aron Winter next TFC head coach: Reports

Published On Mon Jan 3 2011

By Cathal Kelly Feature Writer

According to multiple reports out of the Netherlands, former Holland national team player and current Ajax of Amsterdam assistant coach Aron Winter will be the man to lead Toronto FC next season.
    “(Toronto FC) came to the right place,” Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf quoted Winter as saying about the opportunity.
    Winter will fill the vacancy as the team’s technical director and head coach. He will also reportedly bring along another Dutchman, Bob de Klerk, one of the heads of Ajax’s famed youth academy, De Toekomst.
    Winter told the paper that he planned to fly to Canada on Monday to sign with Toronto’s Major League Soccer club.
    Asked this morning if Winter was Toronto FC’s new man, the team’s current boss, interim GM Earl Cochrane, said, “I don’t know.”
    It’s unclear where this leaves Paul Mariner, the man widely reported to take the head coaching job, or the team’s interim coach, Canadian Nick Dasovic.

It was mentioned in the first post in this thread,it's obvious Cunthal Kelly is reading our boards to pick up info for his useless articles.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just heard this news briefly on way home from work on Fan590.
    Not too sure who this guy is but from the comments I read already posted it seems to be a big improvement from our past management group.
    I like the idea of bringing in Van Nistelroy or mabey another DNMT player.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    I love it ..... we're finally freed from British tyranny
    and Paul Mariner's from where?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ajax model would work very well for a middling league like MLS.

Developing your own players keeps costs down. Plus, for those who become stars, there is the possibility of selling players. Under MLS rules, 2/3 of the $$$ from selling players goes to the club (1/3 to the league), with the first $500k being available as allocation money to spend, and the rest for facilities, etc. If a club sold 2 players, that's an extra $1 million in cap space! That could easily become a good way to dominate the league.

Leagues like the Dutch league thrive on selling players to higher leagues.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-03-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is the Ajax model what Toronto FC needs right now, or is even ready for?

I pose this question to you now,
    If, in 5 years, we could play with a squad of locally developed players, who grew up playing in the TFC style (Whatever that may be), but would have NO success for those 5 years, would you take it? That's assuming that, at the end of those 5 years, we win the MLS cup or something.

It takes time to make a squad like Ajax or Barcelona. Would you be willing to go through years of development and trophy-less-ness for one really good year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBaldX View Post

If, in 5 years, we could play with a squad of locally developed players, who grew up playing in the TFC style (Whatever that may be), but would have NO success for those 5 years, would you take it? That's assuming that, at the end of those 5 years, we win the MLS cup or something.

It takes time to make a squad like Ajax or Barcelona. Would you be willing to go through years of development and trophy-less-ness for one really good year?
    The problem with Toronto is it's unwillingness to put in the leg work in any sport to rebuild a club. Toronto fans expect instant rebuilds and get pissy without that. I'd wait 5 years if an MLS cup was guaranteed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Represent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we not already four years in with nothing to show except the Canadian cup which we had a one in three chance of winning anyway? I would say we have already had four years of failure. The thing is that there is no such thing as a five year plan which guarantees success. There have been many clubs who have talked about 5 year plans and it has not come off. Hearts in Scotland are one club who talked about a five year plan, on their fifth year they were meant to have the SPL tied up and they were meant to be competitively competing in the champions league, neither of those have transpired.

The other aspect is can the MLSE afford to have this football team not compete for another 5 years? Season ticket sales were difficult for them this year and much of that would be to do with price and the fact that TFC have been utter pish. It would be even more difficult to shift tickets at the price MLSE see as reasonable when the team continues to fail. From a business perspective I cannot see them being happy for outright failure for the next five years, Toronto FC fans have shown that they are not leafs fans and they will walk if performances are continuously sub par or ticket prices are deemed too much.

That is not to say that the youth would fail, I mean some of the guys from the academy who were bled last season appeared to have more going for them than many of the first team squad. It is also worth noting that it would be wise to bleed youngsters with a mixture of our better experienced players. I would be quite happy to see youth given a chance in front of some of the shit players I have seen play for TFC since it creation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ good point.

Any youth heavy strategy will have to put in place some transitory measures until the factory starts producing enough to sustain itself. With young kids being cheap, that leaves plenty of room for us to do other things with our roster.

I have never thought the way to develop talent was to throw as many young guys on the field as possible. You only play as many guys as the sytem can bear while holding together. Otherwise you end up with a shit show where players are getting experience but forming bad habits.

We have plenty of flexibility to develop youth players and run a competitive roster. The youth academy still has lots of things to sort out before we start having some kind of debate where they are taking up a large number of spots.

That being said i don't expect much out of this coming season other than a bit of promise and maybe scrapping for that last playoff spot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Developing your own players keeps costs down. Plus, for those who become stars, there is the possibility of selling players..... If a club sold 2 players, that's an extra $1 million in cap space! That could easily become a good way to dominate the league.

Leagues like the Dutch league thrive on selling players to higher leagues.
    This^
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Context

For those who are unfamiliar with how they Ajax operates - the NY Times did an interesting story last summer that many RPBs read and discussed. It's a fascinating read and credit goes to the original poster in this forum (sorry - I don't remember who it was).

Complete article can be found here.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My complaint up until now is that we have been crap without any growth or improvment of our prospects. If we had been crap but Edson Buddle, Marvell Wynne, Gabe Gala, Stephan Frei, Nana Attakora and Sam Cronin were allowed to play and improve under the supervision of some seasoned vets like Danny Dichio, Jim Brennan and Carl Robinson then even a season when we missed the playoffs could be seen as a sucess because in the end you get a better team with a strong dedicated core.

What we got was a series of manager coaching for their jobs who traded away teh future for players that improved their chances of having a job next week.

What TFC should do is give Winter a 5 year contract and we should all shut up and look to the long term.

That will allow him to bring up the youth and make some mistakes. If we jump on him because we have a young, inexperienced team who is making mistakes, we as fans will make the same mistake Leaf fans make every year. The front office will listen to fan criticism and be pressured to trade some youth to get a short term replacement.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

koop agreed
    but we are on a five year plan and this is the year
    i pray to god this dutch rumour is true cause it could be the start of something great
    lets hope danny and daso and brennan can be part of this
    without bullshit our team needs to stay together and develop as a team and coaches
    its a new year so i hope things can come together soon
    cross your fingers boys and girls
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for Milltown FC, will the rest of the CSL be good enough technically to provide TFC's academy team with the calibre of competition they'll need to develop?

This also has major implications for the Canadian Mens National Team. If TFC is developing Canadian talent for MLS and for sale to other leagues around the world, we might just end up with a good team DESPITE the CSA!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    For those who are unfamiliar with how they Ajax operates - the NY Times did an interesting story last summer that many RPBs read and discussed. It's a fascinating read and credit goes to the original poster in this forum (sorry - I don't remember who it was).

Excellent article! Thanks for re-posting it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    My complaint up until now is that we have been crap without any growth or improvment of our prospects. If we had been crap but Edson Buddle, Marvell Wynne, Gabe Gala, Stephan Frei, Nana Attakora and Sam Cronin were allowed to play and improve under the supervision of some seasoned vets like Danny Dichio, Jim Brennan and Carl Robinson then even a season when we missed the playoffs could be seen as a sucess because in the end you get a better team with a strong dedicated core.

What we got was a series of manager coaching for their jobs who traded away teh future for players that improved their chances of having a job next week.

What TFC should do is give Winter a 5 year contract and we should all shut up and look to the long term.

That will allow him to bring up the youth and make some mistakes. If we jump on him because we have a young, inexperienced team who is making mistakes, we as fans will make the same mistake Leaf fans make every year. The front office will listen to fan criticism and be pressured to trade some youth to get a short term replacement.
    THIS !!
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Except for Milltown FC, will the rest of the CSL be good enough technically to provide TFC's academy team with the calibre of competition they'll need to develop?

This also has major implications for the Canadian Mens National Team. If TFC is developing Canadian talent for MLS and for sale to other leagues around the world, we might just end up with a good team DESPITE the CSA!
    It definitely has implications for the national team. The more players the Academy/TFC can produce and discover, the more players available for selection. If they can be sold on to bigger leagues and teams, even better. Having guys like Brennan and Daso involved also has major implications for the future in training managers, technical personnel, etc that will be important to the development of the game in years to come.

re CSL: raising the bar in the CSL can only be good for everyone. It'll force teams to get their sh*t together or risk falling behind.

With MLS in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, NASL in Edmonton and possibly coming to Hamilton, Ottawa, a new PDL team in Winnipeg in addition to the ones that already exist, etc.. the future could be bright.

It's interesting to note that the there are a number of Dutchmen in key positions with 3 of the 4 major clubs in the country.

Richard Grootshoolten - Whitecaps Academy technical director
    Harry Sinkgraven - FC Edmonton head coach
    Aron Winter - Toronto FC head coach?
    Bob de Klerk - Toronto FC assistant/academy coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

Quite an article Hal. It taught my a ton about Ajax and their system that I didn't know.

Thanks for digging it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tovan View Post
    It definitely has implications for the national team. The more players the Academy/TFC can produce and discover, the more players available for selection. If they can be sold on to bigger leagues and teams, even better. Having guys like Brennan and Daso involved also has major implications for the future in training managers, technical personnel, etc that will be important to the development of the game in years to come.

re CSL: raising the bar in the CSL can only be good for everyone. It'll force teams to get their sh*t together or risk falling behind.

With MLS in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, NASL in Edmonton and possibly coming to Hamilton, Ottawa, a new PDL team in Winnipeg in addition to the ones that already exist, etc.. the future could be bright.

It's interesting to note that the there are a number of Dutchmen in key positions with 3 of the 4 major clubs in the country.

Richard Grootshoolten - Whitecaps Academy technical director
    Harry Sinkgraven - FC Edmonton head coach
    Aron Winter - Toronto FC head coach?
    Bob de Klerk - Toronto FC assistant/academy coach?
    And that has bigger ramifications for development in this country. The academies, by and large, put on camps and teach kids different ways of developing, but they also teach the parents and coaches new ways of training.

That type of dissemination of knowledge takes a long time to spread, but with that being spread, the players in this country can only get better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, like the Detroit Red Wings in the NHL, every season after those 5 of developing will give us a competitive team year in and year out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with all the mention of 5 year plans in sports and business the past few years? We're so amnesiac in Canada and the U.S. Hasn't anyone heard of Stalin or the Soviet Union?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

That being said i don't expect much out of this coming season other than a bit of promise and maybe scrapping for that last playoff spot.
    +1

we're in for a total overhaul of the club. it's going to take a while before we start seeing real results i think
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manic.street.preacher View Post
    beat me to it! ... this is fantastic news, a little culture injection from Ajax can do nothing but good
    I applaud TFC for trying. This sounds like a fantastic move.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once we get closer to preseason, I will be able to make judgment, I just need to be patient, and am happy that the team decided to look outside of the already existent. I hope to hear many good things, and we are definitely taking a new step, lets hope though, its one forward, and not back

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    +1

we're in for a total overhaul of the club. it's going to take a while before we start seeing real results i think
    yep, future looks rosy if supporters and front office have patience to see it through.

hopefully mariner can provide the know how to help build a reasonably competitive team in short term, so we don't rashly decide to blow it up again before the academy and overall philosophy can really have an effect.