Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm *sniff* I'm, just, so happy! Clearly Klinsmann came through for us on this one. If we can become ANYTHING like Ajax this is AMAZING. And we'll actually be playing attractive football!! In the words of... whoever
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BABY!

edit: you know it's good knows when- just woke up my roommate screaming T-O-R, O-N-T, OOOOOOOOOOOOO TFC!
    I can't believe we got their academy guy too! I hate U2 but I'm about to go BLAST Beautiful Day. I just hope they don't pull the football away at the last second again....
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As much as I like Ajax and Winter was a solid, if not great, contributor to Ajax and the Dutch national team, I'm still not expecting much.

A lot of Ajax greats have coached the youth teams in the past. Some have been able to parlay that experience into more success while others never have ended up amounting to much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, consider me pleasantly surprised. If this is true, this is definitely a step in the right direction for the club.

I personally had no idea what Winter had been up to in his post-playing career, but if he's been involved in the player development at Ajax, this can only be a good thing for our club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The apparent hiring of Aron Winter to work alongside Paul Mariner is a very pleasant surprise and an encouraging development regarding the future of this organization. It seems as though Klinsmann's fingerprints are all over this, which would vindicate MLSE for hiring him as a consultant. I am especially optimistic regarding the inference that Winter and Mariner have several potential player acquisitions lined up once everything is official.

Well done MLSE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    from Ives
    Let's hope that he's wrong, how insane (and yet tragically typical!) that TFC could get it wrong, even when they're getting it right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Let's hope that he's wrong, how insane (and yet tragically typical!) that TFC could get it wrong, even when they're getting it right.
    Why?

If Ives is right, they're dancing around the title thing a bit....No "General Manager", no "Manager". Which isn't perfect, but is it so terrible?

Even though Mariner is not experienced in a front office role, he is pretty experienced and respected in general. This setup that Ives is calling makes the most sense to me.

In any other setup, Cochrane winds up with too much power, because of Winter's lack of MLS/NCAA knowledge.

Based on the job descriptions as reported by Ives, it's designed to be a triumvirate.

Also the risk of Winter bolting after a brief period, because MLS just doesn't suit him, is high. In this setup, we're not starting all over again, if that happens.

Even though this arrangement wouldn't be perfect (I wish Cochrane weren't being forced on these guys), nothing is. It's not bad.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I trust KJ to have a bit better idea of whats going on at TFC than Ives... I hope anyways. Whatever. I'm not ruining my good mood. It's been a LONG time since there's been real optimism around this club, I'm gonna enjoy this for a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ amen

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aron Winter to head up Toronto FC

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to compare and contrast: It looks like Chivas USA are hiring Robin Fraser as head coach (former RSL assistant). I'd say we did better, but i would have said the same thing last offseason too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^From Sun article: "Winter alludes in the reports that he was chosen in part because going forward, the Reds want to emulate the Dutch "Total Football" style that has won so many fans worldwide."

This makes sense since JK said he would ask what style Toronto as a city wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

As an optimist, I will say that we just enter the world of....

1. Proper player development
    2. Operating with a full management team
    3. Attacking total football lineage
    4. Proven MLS stewardship

This is good....no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    ^From Sun article: "Winter alludes in the reports that he was chosen in part because going forward, the Reds want to emulate the Dutch "Total Football" style that has won so many fans worldwide."

This makes sense since JK said he would ask what style Toronto as a city wanted.
    That part made me make this face

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

somebody on this board mentioned winter about a month ago...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post

if only we had a team that had even a single soccer brain between them

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like this move pretty much because it would actually be a move and maybe we'll have a real team with players on it come march

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The timing is good on this too. Enough lead time to get things together before preseason. Last year's fiasco haunts me.

Edit:
    You and me both Azerban

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

open up that dutch pipe line for players,im sure they can find some cheap diamonds.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They still better get a move on signing some players....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    if only we had a team that had even a single soccer brain between them
    Agreed. It is easy to say that we would like to play total football but trying to put it into practice with a bunch of players who have proven themselves to be inept at best is a completely different story. If total football was easy then there would be a whole heap of teams better than TFC trying to put that system in place. Winter has a lot of work to do as off the ball positioning and movement has never been a strong point of TFC, sometimes a coach has to take a look at what players can do rather than making them try something that they probably cannot do. Good luck though Winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder if they will move the training grounds to AJAX ont...lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Agreed. It is easy to say that we would like to play total football but trying to put it into practice with a bunch of players who have proven themselves to be inept at best is a completely different story. If total football was easy then there would be a whole heap of teams better than TFC trying to put that system in place. Winter has a lot of work to do as off the ball positioning and movement has never been a strong point of TFC, sometimes a coach has to take a look at what players can do rather than making them try something that they probably cannot do. Good luck though Winter.
    Well, at the very least, I am sure that the style of football employed at BMO Field this season will be far more entertaining than Prekiball!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow good stuff. I don't know if any remembers this, but someone posted that Winter was being interviewed in the coaches / Gm thread ages ago - I'm very impressed by some of the insider info. here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of this talk of "total football" makes me wish we didn't get rid of Nick Garcia so prematurely.

All joking aside, JDG will have no excuses if he under-performs this season. Winter's tactics should benefit Julian immensely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Well, at the very least, I am sure that the style of football employed at BMO Field this season will be far more entertaining than Prekiball!
    I'm sure it will be but Winter might find that TFC will not be capable of total football. TFC might have a vastly different first team by the time the season comes though so perhaps he will bring in more capable players. I am sure he has watched more than a few TFC matches though and I am sure he will realise just how poor TFC were last season.

One of the big benefits of the Dutch teams like Ajax that have an academy is that their core of youth players are taught the ins and outs of the game from a very young age. These players know about formations, movement and positioning and they know how to play when they reach the full team. They also have a good first touch and general ball control and that is something that is necessary with pass and move football. The current crop of TFC players have not had the same level of training and that will count against them. Certain skills in football are not just taught over night, it is something that is done over years and that is what happens at teams like Ajax.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fantastic news, cant wait to find out everyones final positions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC The Hague View Post
    So the picture is:
    Aron Winter - Manager (with Earl Cochrane as his right hand man in the technical positon and Jim Brennan as assistant).
    Paul Mariner - field trainer/first team coach?
    Nick Dasovic - assistant coach
    Bob de Klerk - assistant coach/some academy role (with Jason Bent, Stuart Neely at his side?)

Something like this?
    Question: who'll coach the team during matches? The manager or the field trainer? My guess is Winter, but that would drop Dasovic two places in the hierarchy...
    This is what I would like to know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tossing this out there- not sure how I'd feel about it but now with Winter AND JDG, wouldnt that other DeGuzman have to take a long look at TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    I'm sure it will be but Winter might find that TFC will not be capable of total football. TFC might have a vastly different first team by the time the season comes though so perhaps he will bring in more capable players. I am sure he has watched more than a few TFC matches though and I am sure he will realise just how poor TFC were last season.

One of the big benefits of the Dutch teams like Ajax that have an academy is that their core of youth players are taught the ins and outs of the game from a very young age. These players know about formations, movement and positioning and they know how to play when they reach the full team. They also have a good first touch and general ball control and that is something that is necessary with pass and move football. The current crop of TFC players have not had the same level of training and that will count against them. Certain skills in football are not just taught over night, it is something that is done over years and that is what happens at teams like Ajax.
    Agreed on all points. The good news is that Winter and Mariner will not have to cull the roster first. There are several roster spots to fill effective immediately which will allow them to put their stamp on the club from the outset...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Just tossing this out there- not sure how I'd feel about it but now with Winter AND JDG, wouldnt that other DeGuzman have to take a long look at TFC?
    Ha.. was just thinking that.