Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Just tossing this out there- not sure how I'd feel about it but now with Winter AND JDG, wouldnt that other DeGuzman have to take a long look at TFC?
    He might but I would say lets get the first JDG performing before we bring another one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tossing this out there- not sure how I'd feel about it but now with Winter AND JDG, wouldnt that other DeGuzman have to take a long look at TFC?
    He's now playing in the La Liga at Mallorca under Michael Laudrup. I seriously doubt even Winter would be able to bring him to the MLS. Also, unlike Julian, Jonathan is actually wanted overseas. Even if he wanted to come here, he'd probably want a massive DP deal - and right now I think we need to focus on getting a DP striker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan has been a stud for Mallorca, eg player of the match against Barca, this from 2 weeks ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKoaInLJnWM

He almost went to Man City. His next move is to a big team.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of a DP striker, maybe Winter can use his influence to lure Ruud Van Nistlerooy to TFC when he's finished with Hamburg...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish the roles of each guy gets better defined, but either way, we might be getting best of... three worlds.

Winter and de Klerk to bring in European system
    Daso, Cochrane to give input on Canadian players
    Mariner to give input on US/NCAA players

So, hopefully there will now be a better push to expand scouting system and we might develop that solid foundation we've been lacking for a long time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright, well this seems positive.

I'm very interested to see who's going to be in what position. I wonder exactly how long they're going to make us wait for something official.

I think I'd rather have winter involved at the technical director level, influencing the academy and overall direction of the club and mariner and de Klerk as coaches, rather than winter as coach, but I guess we'll see.
    I'm guardedly optimistic.

and annoyed that once again, i'm at work when big news goes down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jonathan has been a stud for Mallorca, eg player of the match against Barca, this from 2 weeks ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKoaInLJnWM

He almost went to Man City. His next move is to a big team.
    Didn't realize he was having that kind of success. Too bad he's such a twat or I'd be real happy for him

And whatever, I don't want him on the club, just pointing out he's got quite a few connections here now. If he was considering a move west Toronto'd have to be the top of the list. I'll be happy with some good young Dutch talent. Also- I guess this is the end of TFC's use of a player/manager agent as chief scout. Thank god! (Totally forgot the name of the evil agency that took over TFC for a few years)

Edit: Also, as to defined roles, isn't the Ajax system basically you have 3 or 4 footy minds get together and make every decision? They may focus on different areas, like Yohan suggested, but it's very possible the only 'defined' roles would be Winter as the coach on the field and whomever as the guy signing the cheques. Every other decision would be made by the 3 headed monster.
    Last edited by Waggy; 01-03-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bad.

Now lets get a proper squad assembled sooner than later so they can start practicing together and begin the season with some decent form and attitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. Also- I guess this is the end of TFC's use of a player/manager agent as chief scout. Thank god! (Totally forgot the name of the evil agency that took over TFC for a few years)
    Yes, First Wave will no longer have any influence on club personnel decisions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I wish the roles of each guy gets better defined, but either way, we might be getting best of... three worlds.

Winter and de Klerk to bring in European system
    Daso, Cochrane to give input on Canadian players
    Mariner to give input on US/NCAA players

So, hopefully there will now be a better push to expand scouting system and we might develop that solid foundation we've been lacking for a long time
    i think when there is an official press conference announcing the hirings, these things will be addressed

i am more interested in what made Winter apply/how he was contacted about the opening...leaving the ajax reserves for this is an interesting change to make; granted, it brings him closer to "home" - Suriname (although I doubt he has lived there in a very long time)...i wonder if he can find some hidden gem from his home country; the next Aron Winter/Edgar Davids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i think when there is an official press conference announcing the hirings, these things will be addressed
    HAHAHA id imagine, we'd be fucked other wise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RVN would be a nice DP signing, but highly doubt it would happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap. When I read the headline I thought WTF are we going to do with a 40-something midfielder. I remember this guy in the Inter heydeys, with Taribo West, I'm going to say George Weah but I know he played for AC Milan, in that era anyway.

I got hooked on Inter back then because of Winter. He looked like an Indian guy playing in the big leagues, and I wanted to know more.

No idea how he is as a coach. As a player I remember him have very little flair, no nonsense guy, in the midfield. I often felt he didn't want the ball, but I guess he had a role and played it well.

He has the pedigree, lets see if he has the talent to translate the coaching chasm between Europe and MLS.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the signing, well done Mo...errr.. Earl lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Like the signing, well done Mo...errr.. Earl lol
    I'm pretty sure we can thank Klinsmann for this signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds promising...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post
    This sounds promising...
    The TFC Way: Cautiously Optimistic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a long time Barca fan and Ajax sympathizer, I'm very happy about this although it's an interesting setup. I'm curious to see how the coaching team will work together.. hopefully there is a clear plan. Seems like Mariner is being brought in to keep everyone on the same page about the insanity that is MLS rules?

I have to admit, I'm a little excited. The prospect of inserting some dutch footy brain into this club is phenomenal.... please don't fuck it up!!
    Last edited by loconet; 01-03-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    As a long time Barca fan and Ajax sympathizer, I'm very happy about this although it's an interesting setup. I'm curious to see how the coaching team will work together.. hopefully there is a clear plan. Seems like Mariner is being brought in to keep everyone on the same page about the insanity that is MLS rules?

I have to admit, I'm a little excited. The prospect of inserting some dutch footy brain into this club is phenomenal.... please don't fuck it up!!

Sounds like they are going to have a full team up in management. I just hope the guy running the joint will be strong enough to manage all of the pieces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm cautiously optimistic.

No more, no less. I noticed his name a couple of months back while looking up stats on Ronald Koemann and a couple of other prospective coaches from Holland. Struck me as an interesting idea at the time, but the fact that he was coaching youth system was a bit nerve-inducing.

THat hasn't changed; I'm cautiously optimistic. Lots of reasons to think this pair will do a better job than Mo et al. But he's never coached a men's pro team yet, so let's give him some time to get wet feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say that at first listen this all sounds very positive and promising. As with anything in sports, the people chosen may not pan out.. but I can't argue that this is a very good attempt at choosing a serious coaching staff no matter how it all pans out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic.

No more, no less. I noticed his name a couple of months back while looking up stats on Ronald Koemann and a couple of other prospective coaches from Holland. Struck me as an interesting idea at the time, but the fact that he was coaching youth system was a bit nerve-inducing.

THat hasn't changed; I'm cautiously optimistic. Lots of reasons to think this pair will do a better job than Mo et al. But he's never coached a men's pro team yet, so let's give him some time to get wet feet.
    He's never coached one, and we've never had one. Perfect!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I love this pick!

He comes from a club with a good history of developing talent and on-pitch success, and a position where he would be spending lots of time in a development role, but also a tactical one.

So does this mean Cochrane is staying on to balance the books (so to speak), while Winter does the rest? I'd be okay with that arrangement.

Really happy with this choice. They didn't kowtow to the dummies who just wanted TFC to hire a name they would immediately recognize for massive money (the dumb, bombastic choice), and they didn't go for another MLS retread (the lame, cheap choice).

He was a good player, who has also put in the time proving himself in a managerial role. Adjusting to the litany of MLS rules will be a challenge for him (as it is for all Euros I'm sure), but an MLS veteran like Cochrane would probably help him navigate those waters.

- Scott
    ^perfect
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    ^From Sun article: "Winter alludes in the reports that he was chosen in part because going forward, the Reds want to emulate the Dutch "Total Football" style that has won so many fans worldwide."

This makes sense since JK said he would ask what style Toronto as a city wanted.

This is a name and an idea I can get behind! He young and ambitious. Will want to impose himself. Has a proven assistant role at a big club managing egos and talent and that has proven to be able to develop players. The difference between him and Preki will lie in two areas. 1) The style he imposes. That turned off many people last year. And 2) whether he chooses to run this team with a positive, ambitious environment or if he comes in and starts imposing his will on players creating conflict. Coming from Ajax and considering his national team contributions, I am going to hope and assume that it's the latter and we have a gem on our hands. In which case, well done TFC! I won't let myself get too excited, but I have swung over to the positive side of the spectrum finally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking eh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    So basically we have no idea how he is going to perform? Having our assistant coach teaching the new head coach the rules sounds silly to me. What about De Klerk. Much known about him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Just because someone knows soccer, doesn't mean they know MLS. We're a little bit different over here.

Stop it...
    Last edited by Chewy Unikronik; 01-03-2011 at 01:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Although I am glad Daso won't be our head coach, I hope he is respected by these guys. He seems like a players coach, which is important in the dressing room.

LIKE MO BEFORE HIM, THIS DERO MUST GO!!!
    +1....I agree, and depending on his feelings , he can learn from this wonderful dutch infusion....., I think someday he'll be in Van if there's a spot
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I have to say that at first listen this all sounds very positive and promising. As with anything in sports, the people chosen may not pan out.. but I can't argue that this is a very good attempt at choosing a serious coaching staff no matter how it all pans out.
    Exactly, and they get my support for that alone. Who knows if this will work out, but at least it shows that they're willing to be creative and take calculated risks...that's a first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Although I am glad Daso won't be our head coach, I hope he is respected by these guys. He seems like a players coach, which is important in the dressing room.

LIKE MO BEFORE HIM, THIS DERO MUST GO!!!
    Maybe for a little while anyway, we could let the management run the team and not make too many demands about who should be fired and who should be hired.

After the amount of people who demanded DeRo and JDG to be signed by TFC our track record isn't that great...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite possibly the best TFC mamagement news i've ever heard. :-)

Winter was the poor man's Rijkaard at Ajax after Rijkaard went to AC Milan with Gullit and Marco vBasten.

if we can begin to play anything like Ajax every young player in north and central america will want to come here. It will make our club wonderful.
    Four years in the wilderness, but maybe we see a light on the horizon.