Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    Regardless of experience, we will now have a man in charge that players league wide and beyond will respect and want to come play in his organization, which is something we have never had.

That's huge!
    Yes.

Plus there's significant flight risk with someone with Winter's credentials. Of course, the best case is that he succeeds and eventually replaces Mariner, who is 57. But Winter may find MLS very tough going, or he may succeed and get a bigger job in Europe. No matter what happens, TFC are not starting over again if it doesn't work, which would be more of a risk if Winter had the top job.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-03-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yes.

Plus there's significant flight risk with someone with Winter's credentials. Of course, the best case is that he succeeds and eventually replaces Mariner, who is 57. But Winter may find MLS very tough going, or he may succeed and get a bigger job in Europe. If that happens, this way, TFC are not starting over again if he leaves.

Yes, not starting over, that would be huge. This is MLS, we accept that ambitious people are going to move to bigger leagues, but if he leaves with an established team structure in place (and a few trophies - hey let's dream big) it will be money very well spent.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with Pigyfyn.

TFC's biggest liability was Mo. Players loved the city, loved our support. Mo was widely seen as a shifty character that players wanted to avoid, though, so they wouldn't come. If they were traded here they tried to get out.

Mariner has an excellent reputation, and TFC has become much more attractive as a result of this move.

It's now obvious why Earl dumped the Prekiball players. We won't be seeing that anymore.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late Christmas present for me! And it's my birthday today.

I believe we have about 16 players on the roster. Means we can look forward to 14 new players hired under the new regime. Means more time on these boards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this move. I don't agree with the critics here who worry about lack of mls experience. What precisely does this mean? Mo had a lot of mls experience and he was a disaster. I am glad I renewed my tickets, the team is going to be a lot better this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every blog says the same thing,alleluia,ALLELUIA!!.Merry christmas and a happy new year.How many peoples lives have changed in such a short time.There is a god they shout.Hope is eternal,bring it on, now are lives are complete.We were blind and now we see.Our saviours have risen.Our team is wholey-------WHOA BOY---DOWN BOY----To much adrenalin at once and you pass out.Calm ,stay calm,chill.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Who gets what title is nothing to be concerned about.

What Klinsmann is building is a management group where decisions are made collaboratively. This is, by the way, the opposite of what Anselmi was thinking of when they began the process (being a hockey guy, he's used to one GM in charge), so it's clear that Klinsmann has set the pattern.

This shows great care in building a proper FO. For one, you don't have one guy and his opinions in charge (Mo). You have the wisdom of having several strong football minds working together, much like Vancouver is doing.

You have the European coaching background from one of the strongest clubs in a non "top 3" league. You have the US/NCAA covered with Mariner (and he's considered a bright mind in that respect). Jimmy and Earl know the Canadian player (and Earl knows our academy players). A very good balancing of minds for making the most of potential player resources.

One thing is clear, this is going to cost ML$E a fortune. They are paying big to do things right.

Here's an interesting point: does anyone remember Paul B. being sent to Ajax to tour their academy? Looks to me like TFC is looking to the long term, to build through the academy first, which will be both great for the club and great for Canadian soccer.

One reason not to take seriously the ideas expressed on this board is the number of people who claimed that hiring Klinsmann was a meaningless PR exercise. There is absolutely no way Anselmi came up with this.. it has Klinsmann written all over it, and shows his keen understanding of things. If these moves work, this could be the beginning of something very good, much like DC's dominance of MLS and international competitions from 1996-2006.
    well spoken....and yes it has to cost big$$$,...so it seems MLSE is in for the long hall???....and it will take a while for the "ajax" skills to take effect in the academy...which is particularly exciting....the only way to build a powerhouse organization......best of all in the future, we can expect competive games ...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Patch CA View Post
    Late Christmas present for me! And it's my birthday today.

I believe we have about 16 players on the roster. Means we can look forward to 14 new players hired under the new regime. Means more time on these boards.
    Happy Bday buddy!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I see nothing negative out of what's alleged to have transpired today. I'd imagine it was Klinsman's call since it was exactly what he and his company was brought in to do.

Being a Toronto sport's fan has made me and many others cynical, but i can't help but feel warm and fuzzy today. Might be my new xmas undies. But if the new culture being brought in is focused on youth development and total football tactics, count me in!

but now shouldn't our recruitment demand a more intelligent/team player instead of say straight ahead skilled/talented one??....and does this demand a refocusing of the present core and their value to the team?.....we'll need patience, which I have no problem with
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now make my dream come true and bring me van Nistlerooy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my biggest complaints about TFC last season was how boring it was to watch Preki's style of play. Win or lose - boring.
    At least next season should be more entertaining if nothing else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it ..... we're finally freed from British tyranny

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ didnt you see the game we had against the fire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    On another note Winter played as a defensive midfielder, will this dictate his outlook on how the team plays? If so then this will not be in favor with a lot of TFC fans who did not like Preki's teams.
    Come on son !

You think there's a correlation with a players position and how he approaches coaching?

I can assure you there's no study that validates that. And if you want anecdotal just watch Mancini hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Appreciate that.
    I hear he works for the feds though, so he must be an evil bastard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I like this move. I don't agree with the critics here who worry about lack of mls experience. What precisely does this mean? Mo had a lot of mls experience and he was a disaster. I am glad I renewed my tickets, the team is going to be a lot better this year.
    Apples and oranges. Mo had playing experience and six games, total, as manager of New York. He didn't have front office experience.

But Mo also came with a history of baggage. Winter's quite the opposite, a long-time model pro. The question, making the transfer from academy to pros, is whether he can command the dressing room, motivate, and instill some fear when necessary.

We don't know that, so it's entirely sensible for people to be somewhat reserved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this all means that Klinsmann is staying involved.

I mean, would these guys come if he weren't?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    Come on son !

You think there's a correlation with a players position and how he approaches coaching?

I can assure you there's no study that validates that. And if you want anecdotal just watch Mancini hehe
    ... or Preki. He was a very attack-minded striker.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Mariner has an excellent reputation, and TFC has become much more attractive as a result of this move.
    In addition to what it could be like to play in Toronto for these guys, don't forget that the main goal of a player in a developmental league is to move on to bigger things.

This management group seemingly would have connections to make things happen without an agent creating a mess.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    On another note Winter played as a defensive midfielder, will this dictate his outlook on how the team plays? If so then this will not be in favor with a lot of TFC fans who did not like Preki's teams.
    With that logic,Preki was a forward and Prekiball would be offensive football,no?

I remeber only one game under Preki were we played offensive and that was 1st game in CCL group stage.

Winter is Ajax player and coach,his style will be "hopefully" Ajax 4-3-3 from youngest kids in the academy program all the way to the reserve team,everybody plays same system no matter who is the head coach,and I really hope TFC will implement that philosophy.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this all means that Klinsmann is staying involved.

I mean, would these guys come if he weren't?
    Possibly. The NASL was a breeding ground for a lot of top managers of England. These guys may be looking to MLS to kickstart their management careers before returning home to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does winter speak english?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I am a huge dutch fan and Aron Winter was one of my favourite players back in the day. I am happy he is here, but I don't know how he'll do. I guess that's why Mariner was also brought in, as he will help Winter with the ins and outs of MLS.
    This is a quality decision. Winter was one of Hollands best players and comes from the Ajax system meaning his football philosophy will serve TFC very well and he will look to get certain style players in.

Now i believe you will see a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-2-3-1 formation maybe?....now we just need to find a 1.

Wouldn't Sam Cronin look good alongside JDG....damn you Preki.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, according to Yves Galarcep and Kristian Jack, Paul Mariner will be the Technical Director and Aron Winter will be the Coach. I believe this absolutely makes sense given Mariner's familiarity with the NCAA and MLS. The individual attributes and combination of expertise they offer can be a tremendous benefit to the organization provided they share a similar philosophy and vision in working towards a common goal...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-03-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All the questions, brought to you by Youtube:

Will TFC fans and Winter start off on the right foot:

Can Winter and Mariner actually communicate on the same page? Will Winter need help understanding "English English"?

Will this be part of the presser?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any idea who Winter is or know a thing about Dutch football aside from how well their national team has played the last 4 years.
    I'll assume from everyone elses reaction though this is a good hiring and look forward to some long overdue success in the future.
    Last edited by Stryker; 01-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Apples and oranges. Mo had playing experience and six games, total, as manager of New York. He didn't have front office experience.

But Mo also came with a history of baggage. Winter's quite the opposite, a long-time model pro. The question, making the transfer from academy to pros, is whether he can command the dressing room, motivate, and instill some fear when necessary.

We don't know that, so it's entirely sensible for people to be somewhat reserved.
    I do think that players like to work under managers who has played the game and can relate to that experience

I think Daso gets a lot of love because he's played the game for a long time

Mariner and Winter both has good player resume at highest level, so should be able to command a lot of respect from bunch of MLSers

MoJo has his playing experience, but he is a snake after all
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like that he was a DM, it would concern me if he was a Striker like Johnston was. Those guys almost never make good coaches. They don't understand the game as well as the other players on the field and they take for granted how hard some guys have to work to get things done because they are naturally talented. ("my lazy former striker coach rant" copyright 2007)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From RedNationOnline:

Aron Winter’s imminent appointment as head coach of Toronto FC throws the doors of change wide open for The Reds. Winter, a former Netherlands international, who recorded 84 caps to his name, brings with him a wealth of know-how and experience. His managerial career with Ajax’s academy - one of the world’s most famous academy systems – brought about a wave of success for Dutch football, both domestically in Ajax as well as internationally for Holland. Now Toronto FC fans are about to experience a slice of oranje for themselves.
    Winter Could Bring Total Change to TFC