View Poll Results: How will this situation play out?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Celtic will sign DeRo and agree to pay a moderate transfer fee

38 21.23%
  • DeRo will return to TFC and honor his existing contract

24 13.41%
  • DeRo will return to TFC and renegotiate his existing contract

34 18.99%
  • DeRo will inevitably be dealt to another MLS club

83 46.37%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    ^^ Could they give him his million dollar salary, then fine him $600k?

Might make everyone happy.
    Ha. I think a public flogging would be more in order but to each his own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont give a shit anymore......i just want this team to win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I just want him to do something. Anything.

Yes, stop playing Recess Time Schoolyard Games, I mean he is a professional is he not, he does have an agent whom negotiations are supposed to go through, does he not.
    If he moves on I hope he does well, Dero did great things at TFC, but in my opinion needs to be removed, yes Dero did score a lot of goals, but alas TFC did not make the playoffs, and did not advance to the next round of CONCACAF Champions League, And seriously, how much of a transfer fee is he worth, it's not like he is a youngster with potential ala Maurice Edu.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unrealistic expectations.
    Transfer Window isn't even open yet.
    Give him time. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    If he moves on I hope he does well, Dero did great things at TFC, but in my opinion needs to be removed, yes Dero did score a lot of goals, but alas TFC did not make the playoffs, and did not advance to the next round of CONCACAF Champions League,
    In fairness, that's not really about Dero as much as some people seem to be trying to make that huge reach of an argument.

I'm not opposed to selling (or trading) but we need alternatives once he's gone. Not a lot of guys around the league that have his type of impact and new signings are an uncertain proposal. Maybe the F.O. has something in mind but let's note it won't be easy.

I really don't care whether TFC is a collection of likable or selfish individuals, but they have to get the job done on the field. Putting together a collection of "good attitudes" won't insure success by any means. Pretty sure we tried that out of the gate; last place wasn't so tasty. Careful what you wish for people.

This could be our strike force next year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8oz...ayer_embedded#!
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-01-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In fairness, that's not really about Dero as much as some people seem to be trying to make that huge reach of an argument.

I'm not opposed to selling (or trading) but we need alternatives once he's gone. Not a lot of guys around the league that have his type of impact and new signings are an uncertain proposal. Maybe the F.O. has something in mind but let's note it won't be easy.

I really don't care whether TFC is a collection of likable or selfish individuals, but they have to get the job done on the field. Putting together a collection of "good attitudes" won't insure success by any means. Pretty sure we tried that out of the gate; last place wasn't so tasty. Careful what you wish for people.

This could be our strike force next year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8oz...ayer_embedded#!
    Yes collectively they MUST get the job done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if this was posted before, but DeRo gets the heavy sell from Paul Daglish:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Dalglish.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this quote from the above from Celtic: "I’m not saying this is a done deal,” he said. “But it might just be a little bonus for us along the way without it costing us the Earth.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ price was probably less than the Earth until the little "tampering" issue came to light

Now, TFC hold leverage to make that problem go away.

Hopefully, TFC don't hold out for the moon too. Getting something and ridding yourself of a player that won't play for his contract and will be a distraction all year is still a win for the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ price was probably less than the Earth until the little "tampering" issue came to light

Now, TFC hold leverage to make that problem go away.

Hopefully, TFC don't hold out for the moon too. Getting something and ridding yourself of a player that won't play for his contract and will be a distraction all year is still a win for the club.
    Maybe they could ask someone at the league office how the Galaxy handle this kind of thing?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Maybe they could ask someone at the league office how the Galaxy handle this kind of thing?
    Not a bad idea, they could conference DeRo and his agent in as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad idea, they could conference DeRo and his agent in as well.
    at least his agent. (in my work I have an agent and I'm kept up to date but not directly involved with negotiations - I would make it personal and that's bad for business ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nuclear Option

http://tinyurl.com/265plxk

Would TFC even consider releasing DeRo in light of the issues swirling around the player, his contract status and the trial at Celtic?

Your comments are always welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a lovely last 2 weeks,thank you Dero for our very own coronation street!!So much to angst over,so emotionally fulfilling.Our beloved TFC is as it should be,totally inept from top to bottom,a non G.m.;a non coach,a non president,only six M.L.S.calibre players and they want your head on a platter,you, who score goals on a regular basis ,happy new year to you and yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    The Nuclear Option

Would TFC even consider releasing DeRo in light of the issues swirling around the player, his contract status and the trial at Celtic?

So, is the upcoming 2011 season the "club option" year? if it is then certainly DeRo's agent knew the team was unlikely to pick up the option and started looking for work elsewhere. TFC can't pick up the option and expect to trade DeRo to another team at that salary cap hit, so if they pick it up they're stuck with him.

What's the deadline to either pick up the option or not and how does that deadline fit with the player trying to find work elsewhere?

It does seem like simply not picking up the option is all TFC have left for themselves. Has this team ever handled the exit of a player well? Dichio? Robinson? Even keeping Brennan in the lineup through training camp and a couple games into season...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Nuclear Option

Question about this line in the article:

"On the flip side of that coin you get the cap space to go out and sign maybe two or even three MLS quality players for the same amount you give DeRo. "

Who's available for us to sign that can fill the gap of scoring goals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    I believe that FIFA can inforce the fine if he leaves, as long as its filed before the contract is voided.
    I believe MLS will see FIFAs true colours and not fine anyone and MLS will suck it up.....Mmmmmmm we will see.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ TFC were 13th out of 16 teams last year in Goals For with Dwayne.

12 other clubs managed to fill the gap of scoring goals without Dwayne in their line ups, I'm sure we'll be just fine.

Another plus, we might find a mid-fielder willing to move the ball forward with a pass to a striker. That might be more entertaining than a shot from 50 yards out. Just sayin'.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Nuclear Option

Are you sure "not picking up the option" is an option?

I could have sworn that I saw some kind of deadline to exercise "club options" for the coming season. Players that didn't have their options picked up (ie. Angel) then became available for the re-entry draft that was held in December.

That said, there appear to be a few ways to "walk away" even if they did pick up the option such as waiving the player.

Just curious as picking up the option presumably makes his contract guaranteed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 other clubs managed to fill the gap of scoring goals without Dwayne in their line ups, I'm sure we'll be just fine.
    ^ what he said.
    i hate reading posts that run under the assumption that the goals dero scored wouldn't come from anywhere else. if dero scores 14 goals, would not having him mean we'd scored 14 goals less?

no. we'd just be getting them elsewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another plus, we might find a mid-fielder willing to move the ball forward with a pass to a striker. That might be more entertaining than a shot from 50 yards out. Just sayin'.
    How many goals would they have scored without their best offensive player?

Do you have faith that the organization will replace De Ro? Or that Chad Barrett would've picked up the slack?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ why do you ask questions that have no answers? How many goals would they have scored without their best offensive player? Who knows?

Clearly though, they wouldn't have played a man down, someone would have taken that role. And they would have had $400k to spend to find a replacement or two.

What is true is that even with Dwayne, we weren't good enough. Perhaps our "team game" would be more effective without him taking shots from half or running into 3 defenders.

I have absolute faith that there is a replacement out there for Dwayne. Not to get into the age thing again but I'm not even sure that 2011 Dwayne will be able to duplicate 2010 or 2009 Dwayne.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ why do you ask questions that have no answers? How many goals would they have scored without their best offensive player? Who knows?

Clearly though, they wouldn't have played a man down, someone would have taken that role. And they would have had $400k to spend to find a replacement or two.

What is true is that even with Dwayne, we weren't good enough. Perhaps our "team game" would be more effective without him taking shots from half or running into 3 defenders.

I have absolute faith that there is a replacement out there for Dwayne. Not to get into the age thing again but I'm not even sure that 2011 Dwayne will be able to duplicate 2010 or 2009 Dwayne.

I remember before Dwayne got here, wondering where the heck our goals would come from. When he got here, he was always the answer to that question.

Excuse me for being afraid of losing the only dangerous scoring threat this team has ever had. And having no faith in this organization to find anyone can do a similar job. I just don't see how it is a good thing to lose him. I could care less about his lack of leadership. This team needs production and results, not great guys and hard workers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It will be interesting to see what the new management does with this situation. Not the greatest thing to be stepping into, but I guess that's normal, usually when new management comes in it's because the old management wasn't doing the best job.

So, what happens if they work things out with DeRo and decide to keep him - clean start with a new bunch of guys running things, does DeRo get a clean start, too?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Sure he does. If he likes what he sees, says the right things, and will report under the terms of his contract.

Regardless of who is in it, I don't think that any new TFC FO will give him a raise. They just won't - it's not the way to get off on the right foot.

It's about more than the new FO. I think the league is involved too. The MLS office is obviously part of the schmozzle over whether he had permission or not. For that reason, I don't see this becoming a hold out on Dero's part. He'd be allowed to leave, with very little coming back.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Sure he does. If he likes what he sees, says the right things, and will report under the terms of his contract.

Regardless of who is in it, I don't think that any new TFC FO will give him a raise. They just won't - it's not the way to get off on the right foot.

It's about more than the new FO. I think the league is involved too. The MLS office is obviously part of the schmozzle over whether he had permission or not. For that reason, I don't see this becoming a hold out on Dero's part. He'd be allowed to leave, with very little coming back.

Sure, no raise. But also no more promises of renegotiating, no more, "our door is always open," and all that.

Do you think we'll ever find out how involved the league has been in all this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on JDG being overpaid, DERO deserves a little raise, and he might even be happy with that if the new management appeals to him.

He is a decent player and does score goals - he IS replaceable, but not easily if you look at the general quality of key players we've signed to date.

I would rather have him than not - maybe he's been as sick of this TFC mess as we've been? He just better not cross the fans, as we're not to blame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Do you think we'll ever find out how involved the league has been in all this?
    Doubt it. I'm guessing the story is embarrassing to all concerned.

But the league office won't want to see him as a hold out. Dero's one of the faces of MLS.

Dero will get a certain amount of special consideration, and if he wants it, he'll leave. Sort of like McBride.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I remember before Dwayne got here, wondering where the heck our goals would come from. When he got here, he was always the answer to that question.

Excuse me for being afraid of losing the only dangerous scoring threat this team has ever had. And having no faith in this organization to find anyone can do a similar job. I just don't see how it is a good thing to lose him. I could care less about his lack of leadership. This team needs production and results, not great guys and hard workers.
    You're kind of ignoring the key point: even with DeRo, we were nearly last in the league in "production and results." Scoring goals single-handedly obviously isn't the only equation to success. We need a cohesive midfield. If one midfielder is roaming all over the field effectively playing for himself, I don't care how many he scores solo, he's going to cost us some as a team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

This is the key. If Celtic does not negotiate a transfer fee to acquire his rights, DeRo will most likely be given the opportunity to return provided the new management regime is confident that he will not be a negative distraction to the club throughout the season...